Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty sure Toyota offers it on some of their TRD trim levels.  GoPro IIRC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or how about offering a dash cam as a vehicle option?
Pretty sure Toyota offers it on some of their TRD trim levels.  GoPro IIRC
No way....all I hear here is that my tundra is an antique for technology
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Your idea is so smart OP the Onion invented it a decade ago.

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I had no issue installing my BlackVue 650s + Power Magic Pro in my F150.  I guess thats what you get for buying a poverty dash cam.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Illegal to have anything dangling from the mirror. This would promote dangling things from the mirror.
View Quote
For a short time while I was a patrolman I had a nice pair of black and white fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror of my patrol car.  I thought it looked pretty spiffy. My Sgt did not.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#8]

got this on all my cars, just need to rewire for your needs.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Illegal to have anything dangling from the mirror. This would promote dangling things from the mirror.
View Quote
I've seen loads of those "dream catchers" dangling from mirrors over the years. Maybe those are exempt from the laws?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]
You'd think You'd have enough intelligence to put one in yourself.....
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You mean like the laws that already exist that allow you to write tickets for having an obstructed field of view because someone hangs a bunch of stuff from their rear view mirror?
View Quote
Exactly. Not something that normally gets enforced around here, but as I said, that's the statute that would explain why there is no USB on the mirror. Guys here talk about tucking cords away where they wont be seen; you know that Suzy Soccer Mom would run the DC cord from her cell phone from the mirror down into her cup holder, or do some other thing that would block her view of the road.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Seems like every Russian car has a dash cam judging by the number of YouTube clips
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Weird

Everyone I know runs them
For ~$50 and up there's no reason not to

I've had countless crashes I've responded to that I would have had to put "unknown who is at fault" if it wasn't for the dash cam to prove a story
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because honestly how many people run a dashcam? Not very many at all. I'd bet in a full parking lot at the grocery store you might find 2......
Weird

Everyone I know runs them
For ~$50 and up there's no reason not to

I've had countless crashes I've responded to that I would have had to put "unknown who is at fault" if it wasn't for the dash cam to prove a story
Like I said, take a look at the cars in the parking lot next time you are walking in to a store. I don't think they are nearly as common as you think.
For what it's worth I run one as well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
www.mirrortap.com
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#15]
My 4Runner has fused 12v already there for the garage opener option.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I wish that and blind spot monitoring where standard on all new cars, I don't think it should be a law but it would be a damn nice thing to have two cameras mounted as standard
View Quote
Not trying to be snarky at all here but if you have your mirrors properly adjusted, there is no side blind spot to bother with.

Adjust the left mirror so the when your head is against driver side window, you can just see the left rear fender in the extreme RIGHT side of left mirror.
Adjust the right side mirror so that when your head is centered in the middle of the dash, you can just see the right rear fender in the extreme LEFT side of the right mirror.
Center your middle mirror so it is even between the two sides.

When cars approach you from either lane you will notice that as they come far enough forward to NOT be seen in the center mirror, they WILL THEN BE visible in whichever side mirror of the lane they are in.

It does take a little getting used to if ya been doing it wrong, but once you do try it you will see it works a champ.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Exactly. Not something that normally gets enforced around here, but as I said, that's the statute that would explain why there is no USB on the mirror. Guys here talk about tucking cords away where they wont be seen; you know that Suzy Soccer Mom would run the DC cord from her cell phone from the mirror down into her cup holder, or do some other thing that would block her view of the road.
View Quote
Yep, and she could get a ticket for doing that. Just like anyone could get a ticket for speeding.

Don’t get me wrong.  I’m not a fan of tickets in the first place, but I despise the ‘someone will abuse the priveledge, so no one can have the opportunity’ mindset a whole lot more.

Not trying to call you out, specifically.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Or how about offering a dash cam as a vehicle option?
View Quote
No shit. Many cars with the crash avoidance/lane departure warning option uses a front facing camera already. Just add recording and data access.

Can also do this with the back-up camera's to continually record for rear end collision film (albeit it would be limited in range).
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Illegal to have anything dangling from the mirror.
View Quote
Even fuzzy dice?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My 4Runner has fused 12v already there for the garage opener option.
View Quote
Tacomas are the same.

12V to USB adapter, little soldering and my dashcam was GTG. Turns on when I start the truck, stays on for a few minutes after I shut it off.

ETA: I have my dashcam, Fastrack pass and OBD2 gauge above the rearview mirror. Have yet to be cited for them
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
On my 2014 Expedition, there's already a factor cable there.  I just velcro the dashcam cable to that cable, and the dash cam itself is mounted as close to behind the rear-view mirror as possible.

And I've never seen enforcement of the restriction against things hanging from the mirror against people with company parking passes or handicapped placards...
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

orrr..... put it behind the mirror where you cant see it at all....
View Quote
This is true and somewhat the obvious thing to do. But, a car manufacturer does not want to be liable for adding a feature that promotes someone to plug external stuff into their rear-view mirror.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#23]
or you know offer a dash cam inside the mirror ?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Maybe your wife could help you put one in?
View Quote
Ha ha ha
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You would think a "cop" would know that.
View Quote
I was a dick of a cop. When I was fishing for bigger stuff, I would pull people over for stuff hanging off their mirror. I'd let them go if there wasn't anything else... like four kids in the back seats without seat belts, suspended driver's license, unregistered vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For a short time while I was a patrolman I had a nice pair of black and white fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror of my patrol car.  I thought it looked pretty spiffy. My Sgt did not.
View Quote
During police academy, the training cadre inspected all recruits' cars. They would point out any problems. You can't be writing tickets to people when your own personal vehicle has the same problem.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just finished putting a dash cam in a vehicle. You’d think with as many people running dash cams vehicle manufacturers could put a usb power outlet in the rear view mirror!!! It’s already got tons of wires running to it for everything else. I’m sure I could cut into those and grab a power wire but I really don’t want to hack it.

On another side note, the power cables they send with dash cams are short in every vehicle we own and I have to end up buying an extension. What the fuck

Ford, GM, dodge, etc I’m available for hire to help you bring your vehicles into this century tech
View Quote
Tapped into the mirror on my GMC Canyon. Someone on the Colorado/Canyon website had a post with a link to an Indiana company that made a wire that works well. I'll post a picture when I get home. Post was probably December 2014 or January 2015.

Here you can see the wire and whatever that box is called that regulates the current.

Opposite side showing the wires, they really aren't in my view at all.

Not a real good showing but it's where the ends of the wires hooked into the mirror. Don't recall now how it was done but I think I had to pry the cover off.
Couldn't find the company name that made the connector, but it's probably in the old dash cam thread from last year or the year before. I know I posted the name before on here somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's not a safety device, in that it won't help you avoid an accident (or anything else).  As such, the manufacturer has absolutely no reason to install it, nor do the various safety bureaus have a reason to consider it.  Insurance companies and law enforcement, on the other hand...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's not a safety device, in that it won't help you avoid an accident (or anything else).  As such, the manufacturer has absolutely no reason to install it, nor do the various safety bureaus have a reason to consider it.  Insurance companies and law enforcement, on the other hand...
Just because a camera won't help you avoid an accident doesn't mean that having one wouldn't be a selling point.  The number of people installing aftermarket dashcams on their cars seems to invalidate your premise that car buyers wouldnt want this.

Quoted:
People are paranoid about GPS navigation systems tracking them, but you'd be ok with a factory installed recording device that automatically records your driving?
And yet, new cars with nav systems seem to be selling just fine.  Same thing with new cars with cameras used by lane keep assist systems or whatever.  If someone is paranoid, they should be worrying that those cameras are recording right now and sending the data to the NSA.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Because tire pressure monitors, backup cameras and fuel mileage have made the prices high enough as is.

Same reason Ruger only includes on magazine with several of their guns.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LOL.
If you allow it, some people would load their mirrors up with as much stuff as it would support.
They already hang big old handicapped parking tags, Mardi Gras beads , etc up there.
That stuff can significantly cut into the drivers field of view.
View Quote
You don't see the irony here?
Also, just because a dash cam is run from the rear view mirror, doesn't mean it has to 'dangle'
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dang, that is actually a good idea.
View Quote
I came here to post this too
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#32]
If they did they would put it in some bloated package and make you pay $2300 more for it.

Just run your own, tap in under the dash and tuck the wire under the A pillar trim and over to the mirror and call it done.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not trying to be snarky at all here but if you have your mirrors properly adjusted, there is no side blind spot to bother with.

Adjust the left mirror so the when your head is against driver side window, you can just see the left rear fender in the extreme RIGHT side of left mirror.
Adjust the right side mirror so that when your head is centered in the middle of the dash, you can just see the right rear fender in the extreme LEFT side of the right mirror.
Center your middle mirror so it is even between the two sides.

When cars approach you from either lane you will notice that as they come far enough forward to NOT be seen in the center mirror, they WILL THEN BE visible in whichever side mirror of the lane they are in.

It does take a little getting used to if ya been doing it wrong, but once you do try it you will see it works a champ.
View Quote
This. And I will ad that if you have your outside mirrors positioned right there should be no 'blind spots'. If you can see the sides of your car in the outside mirrors they are not adjusted right. I tell my wife this all the time cause she never has hers adjusted correctly.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You can run the cable up the side of the A-piller, under the rubber molding (just pull it back and tuck the wire in there) and then mount the camera to the visor, for a clean install.
View Quote
That is what I did....but then I found hacks where people opened up the wiring that ran to the mirror (used for auto dimming, compass and those homelink buttons) and tapped into that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Blocking your view with an object hanging from the rear-view mirror (obstructing the driver's view) is a traffic violation in some states.
View Quote
The mirror itself is an obstruction of view.  I drove my wives car on a trip last weekend, while driving through a mountain pass on windy roads I tried to look ahead around a corner and couldnt see anything.  The mirror wont allow you to see at an angle.  I had to duck down and look under the mirror to be able to see
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've seen loads of those "dream catchers" dangling from mirrors over the years. Maybe those are exempt from the laws?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Along with those handicapped placards that have "Don’t drive with permit hanging on rearview mirror” written on them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Or just make a rear view mirror with the camera built in.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I just ran the wire in the headliner to the pillar and under the carpet into the center console where I have a power connector for my dash cam.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Not a bad idea really
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#40]
My F250 platinum 2015 had hookups for gaming systems/hdmi/usb, all on the dash. up top
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Shops that do car stereo installations can put a USB port anywhere you want.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Obviously, having anything block any part of the windshield or driver's view makes a car unsafe to operate and should be illegal.

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I wired to my sunroof power
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#44]
why don't all trucks have 110v and 12v in the beds yet
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Obviously, having anything block any part of the windshield or driver's view makes a car unsafe to operate and should be illegal.

http://www.duncanville.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/inside-patrol-car-comm-equip.jpg
View Quote
You're just not professional enough, citizen.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You're just not professional enough, citizen.
View Quote
[insert DEA agent in classroom video]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Not oem-total hijack, but mopar mygig systems have an aftermarket thing called lockpick.

This override every factory a/v control and also allow streaming of video (up to 5 cameras).
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#48]
How easy to install Toyota SIENNA 11-16 DVR special plug and play

Did this to my wife's van last week.  Easy peasy.

The dongle probably works with other Toyotas.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I've thought for quite some time that there should be a USB outlet in the ceiling above the rear view mirror.  Yes, it would make installing a dash cam so much easier.

A factory dash cam would be great too, but like head units, they'd be overpriced and outdated.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top