BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3306
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You guys make me so jealous with the food pics sometimes.

There's not a lot of variety in my neck of the woods. In fact, my only local option for Mexican food must have fired all of the Mexicans from the kitchen when the new owners took over, because in between visits they went from having a "secret" (actual authentic Mexican) menu and "you are the only one who drinks the mescal" to crap service and cold food that was bad enough that we swore not to go back.

I miss traveling for work(food) sometimes. Lol
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:39:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Natron11] [#4]
I am looking at the Spyderco advocate since I like ti knives.

Is this a decent cutter?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:42:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dodge223] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Natron11:

Is this a decent cutter?
View Quote
I don’t own one so I can’t advocate for it...
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Is this a decent cutter?
View Quote
You already said that.

Be patient.

Requires considered thought and time to type.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:48:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#9]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:
https://i.imgur.com/lDFna0J.jpg

Is that a hemorrhoid cushion?

Why is it in your pic?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
My daughter's saddle pads and whatnot for her horse.  Washed and then air dried because it was a nice day here.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:19:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: notwen] [#11]

Is this a decent cutter?
View Quote
Early generations supposedly suffered from the ball bearings wearing tracks into the washers and resulted in less than superb flipping action.  I ended up going with the now discontinued Mantra 1, the 2 Advocates I had the option to buy were pretty garbage for a ball bearing flipper.

Spyderco addressing this over at bladeforums

Mantra 1 FTW
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By notwen:
Early generations supposedly suffered from the ball bearings wearing tracks into the washers and resulted in less than superb flipping action.  I ended up going with the now discontinued Mantra 1, the 2 Advocates I had the option to buy were pretty garbage for an all bearing flipper.

Mantra 1 FTW
https://i.imgur.com/NubNnbbh.jpg
View All Quotes

Is this a decent cutter?
Early generations supposedly suffered from the ball bearings wearing tracks into the washers and resulted in less than superb flipping action.  I ended up going with the now discontinued Mantra 1, the 2 Advocates I had the option to buy were pretty garbage for an all bearing flipper.

Mantra 1 FTW
Thank you. I will take a look.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Many have recommended a Spyderco for my collection.
How is the Gayle Bradley Advocate?

I really like the looks Of it and after doing a little research, it seems to be a good knife.
View All Quotes

I really like the looks Of it and after doing a little research, it seems to be a good knife.

Is this a decent cutter?
OK. I do not have one, but have looked at them for some time so I will share what I have learned. I am not aware of anyone in this austere group having one, but maybe there is a lurker who does and can speak to it.  A number of guy sin here have GB1s and GB2s and have been generally pleased with them I believe.  So first, a bit about Gayle.

Gayle Bradley is custom knife maker and a regular competitor/winner in cutting competitions.  He is very good at it.  Old school knife guy, sticks with what works.

He has a special relationship with Spyderco, not aware that he works with anyone else.

When he does collabs with Spyderco, I think they typically(exclusively) use CPM M4.

CPM M4 is an awesome steel.  Awesome edge retention, great toughness. Only major drawback (which is a big one for me in a humid climate) is it is not stainless.  3V isn't stainless, but I haven't had issue with it rusting. With M4 though, I had some Spyderco Mantras that seemed to develop rust spots (nasty tiny ones that would not come out) just from looking at them (awesome knife as well by the way).

I had a GB Air too. Loved that little knife.  So much good.  I ended up selling it because I did not want to babysit the M4. Maybe I could have forced a patina to protect it from the rust spots, but I liked the clean look.  Same with my last Mantra. A perfect specimen. Didn't want to sit on it for too long for fear of rust.  Sold it to KFB2 who probably keeps it in a climate controlled case.

Anyways, if you can overcome that or you live in a climate where it doesn't matter, the Advocate should be a nice choice.

The Advocate is a great useable size. About as long as PM2 overall, it has more useable blade.  It is also thinner than a PM2.

I remember reading reviews from a number of people that the action was not the best on their new Advocates. But after disassembly, cleaning and relubing, they functioned much better. I think this was a known issue and Spyderco fixed it going forward.

It is not a common one to see on the secondary market. Not sure what that means, but I don't think the GB designs ever achieved wildly popular status like other Spydercos, but it may also be due to the M4. I do not think I stand alone in the hesitation. (I know BRK stopped using M4, but I think they cited the reason for doing so as difficulty to sharpen. This wouldn't worry me with diamond stones) The ones I did see were $150-160. I find that a lot easier to swallow than the $250 pricing online for a new one.  Pricepoint wise, would have liked to see this new at $200 or just below.

It is a Taichung knife, so high quality.  Ergonomics are supposed to be very good. This would be inline with Spyderco's (unspoken?) principle of made for the hand, not for the eye (although I find the Advocate easier on the eye than many Spydercos.

Which brings me to the last critical point; the orange peel treatment on the Ti.  Just doesn't do it for me. Looks dirty.  At least in pictures, might feel different seeing it in person.

But even that I might overcome, but for the M4. It is supposed to be an excellent knife. And yes, they can go extra thin with M4 so the Advocate has a thin flat high grind blade that should be a superb cutter.

Honestly, for the right price, it is one I might still pick up. If I do a forced patina on the blade and maybe do a dark ano on the Ti, it might work for me.

So, FWIW, there it is.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Early generations supposedly suffered from the ball bearings wearing tracks into the washers and resulted in less than superb flipping action.  I ended up going with the now discontinued Mantra 1, the 2 Advocates I had the option to buy were pretty garbage for a ball bearing flipper.

Mantra 1 FTW
View Quote
You always did have good taste.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#15]
OK. I do not have one, but have looked at them for some time so I will share what I have learned. I am not aware of anyone in this austere group having one, but maybe there is a lurker who does and can speak to it.  A number of guy sin here have GB1s and GB2s and have been generally pleased with them I believe.  So first, a bit about Gayle.

Gayle Bradley is custom knife maker and a regular competitor/winner in cutting competitions.  He is very good at it.  Old school knife guy, sticks with what works.

He has a special relationship with Spyderco, not aware that he works with anyone else.

When he does collabs with Spyderco, I think they typically(exclusively) use CPM M4.

CPM M4 is an awesome steel.  Awesome edge retention, great toughness. Only major drawback (which is a big one for me in a humid climate) is it is not stainless.  3V isn't stainless, but I haven't had issue with it rusting. With M4 though, I had some Spyderco Mantras that seemed to develop rust spots (nasty tiny ones that would not come out) just from looking at them (awesome knife as well by the way).

I had a GB Air too. Loved that little knife.  So much good.  I ended up selling it because I did not want to babysit the M4. Maybe I could have forced a patina to protect it from the rust spots, but I liked the clean look.  Same with my last Mantra. A perfect specimen. Didn't want to sit on it for too long for fear of rust.  Sold it to KFB2 who probably keeps it in a climate controlled case.

Anyways, if you can overcome that or you live in a climate where it doesn't matter, the Advocate should be a nice choice.

The Advocate is a great useable size. About as long as PM2 overall, it has more useable blade.  It is also thinner than a PM2.

I remember reading reviews from a number of people that the action was not the best on their new Advocates. But after disassembly, cleaning and relubing, they functioned much better. I think this was a known issue and Spyderco fixed it going forward.

It is not a common one to see on the secondary market. Not sure what that means, but I don't think the GB designs ever achieved wildly popular status like other Spydercos, but it may also be due to the M4. I do not think I stand alone in the hesitation. (I know BRK stopped using M4, but I think they cited the reason for doing so as difficulty to sharpen. This wouldn't worry me with diamond stones) The ones I did see were $150-160. I find that a lot easier to swallow than the $250 pricing online for a new one.  Pricepoint wise, would have liked to see this new at $200 or just below.

It is a Taichung knife, so high quality.  Ergonomics are supposed to be very good. This would be inline with Spyderco's (unspoken?) principle of made for the hand, not for the eye (although I find the Advocate easier on the eye than many Spydercos.

Which brings me to the last critical point; the orange peel treatment on the Ti.  Just doesn't do it for me. Looks dirty.  At least in pictures, might feel different seeing it in person.

But even that I might overcome, but for the M4. It is supposed to be an excellent knife. And yes, they can go extra thin with M4 so the Advocate has a thin flat high grind blade that should be a superb cutter.

Honestly, for the right price, it is one I might still pick up. If I do a forced patina on the blade and maybe do a dark ano on the Ti, it might work for me.

So, FWIW, there it is.
View All Quotes

Is this a decent cutter?

So, FWIW, there it is.
Thank you for the well thought out reply.
The humid weather may be the deciding factor, especially since I sweat a lot as well.

I will keep looking and take a look at the Mantra 1 also.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:20:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#16]

I went a little bit over target, I was paying too much attention to the game.

Pics don't look great but it's fucking grubbing

Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:22:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#17]

The humid weather may be the deciding factor, especially since I sweat a lot as well.

View Quote
Yeah, the Mantra 1 was the bomb. Loved that little Knife. Push button action (after disassembly, cleaning, no lube, ran it dry). I went through 4 or 5 of those. It is discontinued now though. Haven't seen one for sale for some time. People are probably hoarding them.

The Mantra 2 never seemed to catch on quite as well. I suppose it does look kinda awkward.  Probably works well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
https://i.imgur.com/zj1iT73.jpg

I went a little bit over target, I was paying too much attention to the game.

Pics don't look great but it's fucking grubbing

https://i.imgur.com/M4NMIFn.jpg
View Quote
Very nice Op.

Don't you have the 0452 in blue ti as well?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#19]
You guys and your food pics. What's wrong with a table knife? Are your steaks and vegies that tough?

PM2 got a little real use today cutting off the end of some burried 3/4" plastic water line. It made the cut but took more force than I'd hoped.
Would you cut your food with a knife that'd been playing in that dirt?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep, everyday.

Just wipe it off first.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By NotUrLawyer:
You guys and your food pics. What's wrong with a table knife? Are your steaks and vegies that tough?

PM2 got a little real use today cutting off the end of some burried 3/4" plastic water line. It made the cut but took more force than I'd hoped.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/407188/Screenshot_20190623-210220_Gallery_jpg-990976.JPG
View Quote
I work on bulldozers that live at the landfill and other dirty construction equipment. I use my knives daily. I also use them to cut up my oranges that I have at lunch. I'll occasionally use them for eating at home if my choices for knives are in the dirty dishes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Wet burrito?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#23]
While not the only grind, their signature grind is full flat and thin.

I’m calling g bullshit on the brisket and links. I can think of no situation in which a knife would be unacceptable with large portions of meat.
View Quote
At a social function in close quarters where pulling a 4 inch knife out and taking pics would make the talk of the watercooler. I like keeping a little lower profile
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#24]
https://i.imgur.com/GzZBXCV.jpg
View Quote
Looks solid but needs dolmas
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
You guys make me so jealous with the food pics sometimes.

There's not a lot of variety in my neck of the woods. In fact, my only local option for Mexican food must have fired all of the Mexicans from the kitchen when the new owners took over, because in between visits they went from having a "secret" (actual authentic Mexican) menu and "you are the only one who drinks the mescal" to crap service and cold food that was bad enough that we swore not to go back.

I miss traveling for work(food) sometimes. Lol
View Quote
You just gotta search. I've had good Mexican in WA and some hella good Asian food.

Sometimes I use yelp but only pay attention to reviews where the names of the people match the ethnicity of the food.

It's a process. We moved and have been searching for spots but we much rather would cook at home
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Is this a decent cutter?
View Quote
Yes but....

They've had problems with their bearings and pivots. Read up on it and make an educated decision.

That said Gayle Bradley designs wicked cutters in M4 that cut like no ones business. My GB1 is a wicked cutter that my wife had been stealing
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#28]
At a social function in close quarters where pulling a 4 inch knife out and taking pics would make the talk of the watercooler. I like keeping a little lower profile
View Quote
You like missing promotions.

To be a boss you need to make boss moves.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Mantra 1 FTW
View Quote
I still want one of those
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#30]
https://i.imgur.com/pHnA7h1.jpg
View Quote
Gailer in M4... I'm just saying
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 12:39:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#31]
Not sure the acid wash would work. And I wouldn’t want painted M4.

Otherwise M4 is pretty sweet. Edge retention of M390 and toughness of A2.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#32]

You just gotta search. I've had good Mexican in WA and some hella good Asian food.

Sometimes I use yelp but only pay attention to reviews where the names of the people match the ethnicity of the food.

It's a process. We moved and have been searching for spots but we much rather would cook at home
View Quote
There is some great food in Washington for sure. Just not in the small town (>2000 people) that I live in.

I end up cooking much more often than we go out as well. My family is big enough that we can eat a great meal at home for way less than it costs to go out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:28:51 AM EDT
[#33]
M4 parkerizes a nice dark grey.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:37:39 AM EDT
[#34]

So, FWIW, there it is.
View Quote
Awesome break down
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:39:22 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
M4 and 3v do well in humid areas with a little mineral oil from time to time.

And it's food safe for dinner pics
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:40:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Very nice Op.

Don't you have the 0452 in blue ti as well?
View Quote
Same knife
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#37]
I thought you had an all Ti version as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Is it just me or do the ARFCOM knife threads not give much love to Microtech?
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By NotUrLawyer:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/407188/Screenshot_20190623-210220_Gallery_jpg-990976.JPG
View Quote
Yeah. I clean them off.

Although for more involved  outdoors projects I typically stick to my fixed blade knives
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By GTRider245:
View Quote
Sure, lots of Arfcom people have Microtech.  We may be down to just one right now...leave them in vehicles, purses, drawers.

The novelty of their signature knife, the OTF, has worn off for me.  Sure, it is fun, but other designs are more practical to use day to day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GTRider245:
View Quote
Most Arfcom knife threads are full of mouth breathing retards that carry something one step above a gas station knife trying to give advice.

Attachment Attached File

That being said, I don't have a Microtech knife. I have looked at the LUDT. I probably would have already purchased one but the fucking billboard on the blade bothers me. They do use some nice steel in their blades.
Their stuff comes off as sort of high end mall ninja to me.
Their customer service reputation sucks too. I would rather give business to Protech who seems to be a decent company.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#43]

You like missing promotions.

To be a boss you need to make boss moves.
View Quote
Haha. No.

Our "promotions" are odd.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Not sure the acid wash would work. And I wouldn’t want painted M4.

Otherwise M4 is pretty sweet. Edge retention of M390 and toughness of A2.
View Quote
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
M4 parkerizes a nice dark grey.
View Quote
Interesting.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#45]
It's Maxamet Manix Monday

No, the tip isn't broken, it's sticking in the tabletop. I've been abusing this one. So far, so good. Cut up six feet of cardboard, cut a bunch of zip ties, cut a vent in a chemical drum. Rinsed it off in a cooling tower tank. No rust so far. I did dry it off on my pants.
I've cut a couple of sensor cables with it, opened a shitload of packages done a little scraping here and there. Still shaves.
Maxamet lives up to the hype IMO. Any of the other "super steels" would have lost their shaving edge by now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Haha. No.

Our "promotions" are odd.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Interesting.
View Quote
Meh, I wasn’t a fan of the finish on that big machete he did for SublimeShooter. Maybe it was just the size, too much grey.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

Most Arfcom knife threads are full of mouth breathing retards
View All Quotes

Most Arfcom knife threads are full of mouth breathing retards
ummm...this one isn't? I mean, not you or I obviously. We're f*cking geniuses.

That being said, I don't have a Microtech knife. I have looked at the LUDT. I probably would have already purchased one but the fucking billboard on the blade bothers me. They do use some nice steel in their blades.
Their stuff comes off as sort of high end mall ninja to me.
Their customer service reputation sucks too. I would rather give business to Protech who seems to be a decent company.
I hear what you are saying. Some of their stuff does come across as borderline mall ninja stuff.  Some of it I feel is way overpriced. They have been working on improving their customer service and if you know how to talk to them, no issue.

Your comparison to Protech though is an interesting one. Protech does seem like a good company, but their choice of materials for the pricepoint they sell at, doesn't match up in my mind.  And that is across the board.

On the other hand, the Microtech Ultratech series and LUDT seem to be appropriately priced for the materials used.

It's Maxamet Manix Monday

No, the tip isn't broken, it's sticking in the tabletop. I've been abusing this one. So far, so good. Cut up six feet of cardboard, cut a bunch of zip ties, cut a vent in a chemical drum. Rinsed it off in a cooling tower tank. No rust so far. I did dry it off on my pants.
I've cut a couple of sensor cables with it, opened a shitload of packages done a little scraping here and there. Still shaves.
Maxamet lives up to the hype IMO. Any of the other "super steels" would have lost their shaving edge by now.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436951/20190624_113247_01_jpg-991572.JPG
S110V? M4? Cruwear? ELMAX!?
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#49]

ummm...this one isn't? I mean, not you or I obviously. We're f*cking geniuses.

I hear what you are saying. Some of their stuff does come across as borderline mall ninja stuff.  Some of it I feel is way overpriced. They have been working on improving their customer service and if you know how to talk to them, no issue.

Your comparison to Protech though is an interesting one. Protech does seem like a good company, but their choice of materials for the pricepoint they sell at, doesn't match up in my mind.  And that is across the board.

On the other hand, the Microtech Ultratech series and LUDT seem to be appropriately priced for the materials used.

S110V? M4? Cruwear? ELMAX!?
View Quote
I should have clarified, as compared to S30V, S35VN, CPM154, 20CV, etc.
I'll test vs S110V and M4 at some point. According to most cut tests I've seen it will smoke those too.

I agree about Protech. I wish they would get off the 154CM train.

I'm not a genius, far from it, but some of the folks in GD...

Link Posted: 6/24/2019 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#50]
my newest belt carry (Liontribe Ringed Urban Legend) with my favorite every day carry (Hogue EX-02):

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3306
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top