Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Irrational fear or just ignorance?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
run that motherfucker over until its guts squeeze out its head llke a tube of tooth paste, i hate snakes, can't stand the sight of them, only good snake is a fuckin dead snake. fuck em all
  Latent biracial homosexuality that is deeply suppressed by religious fundamentalism is my guess.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
If in my work truck treat it the same as any other small animal (deer or smaller) in the road and pay it no mind.
If it gets it to bad for it, if it makes it good for it.
My dd I try not to hit skunks but other than that 30lb or less critters are on there own for making it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
In a loaded wheat truck, if you let off the accellorator, you can hear it pop between the rear duals
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I will move it to the shoulder if possible
View Quote
I do this a couple times a year in the ally behind where I work
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I see this thread has drawn out the Ophidiophobia patients among us.  OTOH it's good to see that many of our members have their heads on straight.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Got bitten by a black snake years ago.  After tetnus and rabies shots fuck it...its dead.
View Quote
If your MD treated you for Rabies after a snake bite, you need a new Doc. Only mammals carry an get Rabies.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I try to avoid them.  I have no fear of most snakes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it from Alabama?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it from Alabama?
View Quote
you owe me a drink.. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Interestingly (or not) enough, this very scenario played out for me this afternoon.

About a mile from home, long black snake crossing the road. I think it was either a Rat snake, a King snake or a Black Racer; I didn't get much time to gaze at it.

I intentionally missed it and it slithered on its merry way.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is the snakes name Nate?
View Quote
I see what you did there...
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#13]
In South Texas, big black snakes are Indigo snakes and they eat rattlesnakes.  I swerve to miss or stop and let him cross.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Stop, take picture, post on GD asking for snake ID and guidance as to next steps.  I suspect guidance will come down to just a couple of options: "kill with fire/nuke from orbit," or "no kill snek."
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#15]
A few years ago I almost stepped on an 18 inch corn snake inside where I worked. I picked it up just as 2 guys were on the way over to kill it. As I walked through the shop, I've never seen so many pussies in one place. One dude was going to fight me if I got within 10 feet of him with the little snake wrapped around my fingers. It fit into a large McDonalds cup I got out of the trash and I took it home and let it go. The guy that got so upset and threatened to fight me got a small rubber snake put into his toolbox a few months later.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I move them out of the road.

According to a locality record database I contribute notes to, I have found 98 rattlesnakes over the last few years, mostly in the road.  I moved the ones that were not hit already.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:22:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Big black snake? In Missouri, that's probably a kingsnake, which eat venomous snakes. I'm swerving, or stopping and getting said kingsnake off the road because it is actually useful.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:38:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I move them out of the road.

According to a locality record database I contribute notes to, I have found 98 rattlesnakes over the last few years, mostly in the road.  I moved the ones that were not hit already.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Usually stop and shoot it, but only if it's poisonous.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Saw this guy in the middle of the road, caught it and let it go by my koi pond.  Kingsnakes kick ass.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I was leaving a friend of mines farm one day and saw a big black thick snake in the other lane.   As I got closer, I could see it was a cottonmouth.   I thought of running it over, but did not.   I hate those things and was once chased by one.   The next day my friends dog was bitten by one and nearly died.   I hope it wasnt the one I did not kill.   Next time I see one, it gets flattened if possible.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I caught this lovely milk snake at a gun range in MA and several "outdoorsmen" were freaking out that I just picked it up. "That's going to bite you!" and "how can you tell it isn't poisonous?".

Adults should have a decent working knowledge of local flora and fauna;it's not a survivalist thing,it's an adult thing. If you are going to be outside then you really should have some idea of what lives there,or at least a vague idea. Now I understand that maybe someone doesn't care to tell a De Kay's snake from a garter but really,one should at least know some very basics such as : do any venomous snakes live near me and what do they look like? It's not just intellectually lazy to say stupid shit like "I'm not gonna waste my time,the only good snake is a dead snake",it's profoundly ignorant. If you can identify dozens of rollmarks and magazines by sight,you can probably tell snakes enough apart to just leave them alone. The emotion reaction some of you have is as stupid as liberals seeing a gun

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've done it a number of times.

Note to future Samaritans- when you pick them up they will invariably drop a deuce.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw a turtle (box) in the middle of road.  Stopped and pulled over and helped him to the other side of the road.
I've done it a number of times.

Note to future Samaritans- when you pick them up they will invariably drop a deuce.
 Another Pro tip; Always move them in the direction they were headed. They were crossing for a reason.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I caught this lovely milk snake at a gun range in MA and several "outdoorsmen" were freaking out that I just picked it up. "That's going to bite you!" and "how can you tell it isn't poisonous?".

Adults should have a decent working knowledge of local flora and fauna;it's not a survivalist thing,it's an adult thing. If you are going to be outside then you really should have some idea of what lives there,or at least a vague idea. Now I understand that maybe someone doesn't care to tell a De Kay's snake from a garter but really,one should at least know some very basics such as : do any venomous snakes live near me and what do they look like? It's not just intellectually lazy to say stupid shit like "I'm not gonna waste my time,the only good snake is a dead snake",it's profoundly ignorant. If you can identify dozens of rollmarks and magazines by sight,you can probably tell snakes enough apart to just leave them alone. The emotion reaction some of you have is as stupid as liberals seeing a gun

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/kerpow/sunday.jpg
View Quote
Very nice milk snake...yes, it astonishes me how a 300 # "man" can quiver in fear over a damn red belly racer or ring neck that weighs an ounce or so.

ETA: What the hell do they think it could do to them?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Is it night time?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If it is an empty road and I can safely come to a stop. Sure, I'm not looking to be a dick.

But otherwise^ what that guy said.
View Quote
so much this
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
fear, the Fuckers freak me the hell out, and I want em dead. Don't even want snake skin boots, or bags around me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was leaving a friend of mines farm one day and saw a big black thick snake in the other lane.   As I got closer, I could see it was a cottonmouth.   I thought of running it over, but did not.   I hate those things and was once chased by one.   The next day my friends dog was bitten by one and nearly died.   I hope it wasnt the one I did not kill.   Next time I see one, it gets flattened if possible.
View Quote
I've seen plenty of dogs bitten by cottonmouths.  They swell up and sometimes throw up, but I have never seen one die or even get close to dying.  Are you sure your buddies dog was bitten by a cottonmouth and not a rattlesnake?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Poll fail.  No option for "Suck it"
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#30]
If I am in Australia I would run it over.  Every snake there enjoys killing you.  Here in the US avoiding it if safe is the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#31]
generally avoid if its large and not a rat snake its a good snake to have here as they eat venomous snakes and thats ok with me
we get some absolutely massive speckled king snakes here, had a monster sized one living in my front yard for forever at our old house
we generally stayed cool with each other but sometimes he would come in the garage to say hello
ever pick up your water hose and it take off out of your hand???

if its something rare like a tortoise I will stop and help it across

I stopped and got a rat snake off my driveway the other night
which is stupid considering hes just going to grow some more and cause problems in my chicken coop
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I avoid everything but Liberals.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've seen plenty of dogs bitten by cottonmouths.  They swell up and sometimes throw up, but I have never seen one die or even get close to dying.  Are you sure your buddies dog was bitten by a cottonmouth and not a rattlesnake?
View Quote
That is what he told me.   At that time, there was a bit of flooding and he said they were out all over the farm.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Rattlesnakes I kill on sight, everything else I will get out of the car and move it off the road.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top