Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Scared? No.

Anxious? Maybe.

Then there's the sheer greed aspect.

When you have a considerable nest egg, compound interest is really something to watch. It's easy to want to keep making, vice spending, money, and imagine a better and better retirement. It's very hard to switch from an accumulation mentality to a spending one.
View Quote

This mostly covers it.  Would add the uncertainty of my nest egg suddenly being worth lunch for two as a factor.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If you are mid 40’s, you won’t get what it lists as a benefit unless Congressional reforms happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am Gen X  and am mid 40's we are not retiring yet. All I care about is actually getting the social security money my statements say I will get. As of this year, if I was to go full disability, I could live pretty decent.  But I have also been making a good income and contributing the past 24 years....

If you are mid 40’s, you won’t get what it lists as a benefit unless Congressional reforms happen.

Brrrr...
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
When you've lived through 2 massive spikes in inflation and see that Medical Insurance is and will continue to be astronomical, being old looks expensive.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OP should check his math.
View Quote

Well as I said I don't keep up with that crap.

I figured whether I said Boomer or Gen X I'd offend somebody.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
At 65 they are baby boomers. The youngest boomers are 59.
View Quote

This.  If yer gonna labels the labels OP, try to get it right.

You are referring to Boomers.  

You don’t get it at the age of 40, because your perspective is different.

Men need a Purpose.   Men need Money.    A Job provides both.  

In many cases, a Job also represents Status.  And like it or not, that’s a big deal.

Add to that, a lot of men have Children who still depend on them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm pretty rough on the boomers who think nothing in the world changed, and that the 18 year olds of today have it easy.
I think they often times give erroneous dating advice that's aged poorly.
I could go on and on.

But anecdotally speaking, just from what I've seen, a lot of those boomers are "workaholics."
They're no fucking joke.
They might not have been when they were fucking around at 18, (their toys weren't digital, their stuff had no warning labels on it, and if one of their buddies went missing they showed up on a milk carton ) but they are now

Thanks to the Tapco-fucking of our economy by special interests (the people who can afford to sway politics), and awful monetary policy - we have kids who can't afford houses, and "old farts" who basically can't retire.
Absolute fucking mess.

I'm crushed for the people who are trying to get to adult life's on-ramp, but the ramp gets longer as they travel it, and the highway of adulthood gets farther away.
I'm also crushed for the tired old guys running out of gas, with engines that are FINALLY starting to overheat, watching the exit ramps get further away.
They have less time, more injuries, and less energy to deal with this ^ anarchy.

I think the people in my age range won't have social security at all, and it sucks a lot, sure.
But I still feel for the old farts, even if I think they've got 1 or 2 things wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
By Gen X I mean folks that are around retirement age, 65'ish. I think I got that right, not Boomers.

I've got 2 guys in my shop who seem scared to death to retire. I talked with both and neither is hurting for money.

They just talk about how when they "finally" retire they hope the company will allow them to work part-time.

I just don't get it. I'm 40yo and if I could retire tomorrow I would.

Do these people not have any hobbies? Wives they can't stand?

I would have no problem finding things to do between hobbies and just things around the property that need to be done.

I'm pretty rough on the boomers who think nothing in the world changed, and that the 18 year olds of today have it easy.
I could go on and on.

But anecdotally speaking, just from what I've seen, a lot of those boomers are "workaholics."
They're no fucking joke.
They might not have been when they were fucking around at 18, (their toys weren't digital, their stuff had no warning labels on it, and if one of their buddies went missing they showed up on a milk carton ) but they are now

Thanks to the Tapco-fucking of our economy by special interests (the people who can afford to sway politics), and awful monetary policy - we have kids who can't afford houses, and "old farts" who basically can't retire.
Absolute fucking mess.

I'm crushed for the people who are trying to get to adult life's on-ramp, but the ramp gets longer as they travel it, and the highway of adulthood gets farther away.
I'm also crushed for the tired old guys running out of gas, with engines that are FINALLY starting to overheat, watching the exit ramps get further away.
They have less time, more injuries, and less energy to deal with this ^ anarchy.

I think the people in my age range won't have social security at all, and it sucks a lot, sure.
But I still feel for the old farts, even if I think they've got 1 or 2 things wrong.

@Geralt55 SSI is broke. Right now. This moment.

If the government had not expanded the debt ceiling this last time it would have been DRT.  We are at this phase:

Stop and think about it. We have to issue more debt to make the payments.

Real inflation ... this is just my personal guess based on everday stuff ... is ... what. Nearly 300% since 2008 in some stuff like food?  You could still find a working man's cheap lunch around where I live in 08 for 5 bucks. That meal is now 12-15 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Not really.  Gen X'er myself.  I Turn 50 October, and I am already deep into Retirement planning.  Not like my portfolio and shit, but like...Hmmm, the next car I get in a few years will be my last car before retirement, need to consider that carefully.  Looking at house and other debts, all on track to be paid off by 58.  Will give me a couple years of full salary to build up a nice nest egg to supplement those portfolios, etc. I plan on filing the paperwork literally at 00:01 on my 60th.

We do have some guys, closer to Boomer Gen than X, that the company might have to force them to retire in someway.  Friggin Die Hards.  They're the type that don't take vacations either, and are genuinely confused when others do...Guess what bucko?  Company ain't going crash in burn in the week you're gone and more importantly, a couple weeks after you retire, it'll still be going strong.

Same guys are the ones that come around the office to 'hang out' and see everyone again....after 3 months.  Like...dude.  You should have established a life separate from work all those years, ya know?
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#8]
No. I was smart worth my money and time.  

I retired from “work” 9 years ago at age 41. Now I just do what I enjoy. Mostly just to keep my mind engaged.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Because these guys show up at work, don't do anything,  and expect a check.

And they use their age/time at the company as an excuse.

If you don't want to work RETIRE!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This threads gay but as a true gen x  who gives a fuck what's it to you?

That goes for anyone of any age.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
planning on working till death. as I don't think any of the retirement plan will be worth a fuck when I get there.  also don't think Ill make it to that age anyway.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I could go on and on.

They're no fucking joke.

Absolute fucking mess.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
By Gen X I mean folks that are around retirement age, 65'ish. I think I got that right, not Boomers.

I've got 2 guys in my shop who seem scared to death to retire. I talked with both and neither is hurting for money.

They just talk about how when they "finally" retire they hope the company will allow them to work part-time.

I just don't get it. I'm 40yo and if I could retire tomorrow I would.

Do these people not have any hobbies? Wives they can't stand?

I would have no problem finding things to do between hobbies and just things around the property that need to be done.

I could go on and on.

They're no fucking joke.

Absolute fucking mess.

You forgot the old guy in the fancy corvette who comes up alongside you, sideswipes you, then gets out and yells fuck you, pay me. While it was his fault.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Based on conversation related to other employees who have retired and passed away within a couple years its almost like they think once they retire they're only going to live another couple years.

Like if they stay on the job, even part time, it'll prolong death lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Change is scary for some.

Based on conversation related to other employees who have retired and passed away within a couple years its almost like they think once they retire they're only going to live another couple years.

Like if they stay on the job, even part time, it'll prolong death lol.

You mean “Prolong Life”.    Or Stave off, defer, or delay, Death.

C’mon dude.    I hope your job doesn’t involve writing.

Eta- or Math.   Or paying attention to detail.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I will retire at 65. God willing, I will have a little piece of land to work, rabbits and
bantams for meat, and working harder than I ever have for anyone in my life.

Why?

No paycheck, no a$$hole boss that gets his rocks off shoving people around. Stand or
fall on my own efforts.

With 35 months to go, I will be saving what I can.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Financial issues , the unknown is biggest reason for people putting off retirement.
Everybody talks shit but when it comes to time to jump into the unknow the cost/return is scary. Unless they have the wherewithal and budgeting down pat which most people don't, that means they dont have a clue.
Without a pension unless you sit down and crunch the numbers yourself or hire a professional all you're doing is guessing.
Scary to jump into the unknown.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In many cases, a Job also represents Status.  And like it or not, that’s a big deal.

View Quote

Thats all fine and well.

The two guys in the shop I work in dont do jack crap.

If you want to show up and WORK at that age, when you're fully able to retire, great! I got no problem with that.

That is not the case in the shop I work in and I was just wondering if anyone else out there deals with similar circumstances.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thats sad. At least working for someone else.

As I said I could find plenty to do if I could retire tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe they like working?

Thats sad. At least working for someone else.

As I said I could find plenty to do if I could retire tomorrow.

Thats one way to look at it. While true, it can also be about them working for...wait for it...

...themselves
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Gen x here , I’m staying in my positions of power just to fuck over everyone coming after me.

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I see the same thing at my work. Guys are either there or within 1-3 years of 65 and they refuse to leave because of insurance.

I’m sorry but I ain’t hanging on a few years just for insurance, I hope I will have set myself up to not be in that situation.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Every Gen X I know at my job acts like they are already retired mentally. Watched one clip his toenails at his desk one day.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe they just love their job . I enjoyed what I did as a crane operator , but got disgusted with younger people being my boss and stupid fucking safety people that looked like they just got out of hi-school . Pulled the pin at 55.5 years and have enjoyed every minute . Highly recommend retirement to everyone who can !
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Gen X with 30 years and a pension here. My pension will be about 1/3 my current income, and I'm too young for drawing on my retirement savings without penalty. I didn't plan to retire until my mid 60's so this isn't a problem.

I actually enjoy what I do, I'm good at it, and because I'm good at it, I get a lot more flexibility when I decide I want some time off or don't want to put up with someone's BS.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Im genX, i could retire in 5 years, but couldnt afford to. Im gonna go 10 more years, 15 years max.
Ive seen boomers at work still working into mid-70s.
They would make more money retired with full SS, than they do working.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thats all fine and well.

If you want to show up and WORK at that age, when you're fully able to retire, great! I got no problem with that.

That is not the case in the shop I work in and I was just wondering if anyone else out there deals with similar circumstances.
View Quote

Both lazy fucks I work with are early 40s .

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Gen x here , I’m staying in my positions of power just to fuck over everyone coming after me.

View Quote

Your candor does you credit, sir, although your ethic and motivation destroys that small
gain entirely.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This threads gay but as a true gen x  who gives a fuck what's it to you?

If they are that lazy and don't accomplish anything, why do you keep them?  

Fire their ass's, or lay them off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol. Yeah I screwed that up but this threads moving fast.

Did you not still get the point I was trying to make?

Based on your response I would say yes.

And no I work in a custom woodshop/lumber mill so no real writing skills needed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Some people are so used to working, they don't really have anything else. Almost every person that I have known that retired started to decline shortly after.
View Quote

I've seen this a lot. First one i recall was a guy on his last day of work. Poor guy suffered a massive heart attack. Checked out before his last clock out.

I could anecdote a lot more, but I'll just do this one:

I recall my FIL. He made it five years past his second retirement at 62.5 (first was a military retirement) He was near the end with cancer. He looked me in the eye and said: "Whatever you do, never let them retire you. A person has to have a purpose in life."

He was not the sort to foist unsolicited advice, so i took his words under consideration.  

I think social isolation also affects you too. This tends to increase as you age. Look forward to a day when you can go fishing every day if you want, but fishing alone all the time can get hollow. A lot of times, most of an older worker's socializing is at work. Sad, but often true.

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Since the oldest Gen X is 57, no, I don’t have any scared to retire.

Hell, most of the ones I know are well off and can’t wait to retire.

Bro in law is a year younger than me and is set to retire a multi millionaire at 53.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#29]
OP is why Gen X'ers can't retire - whole place would fall to shit if we did.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@Geralt55 SSI is broke. Right now. This moment.

If the government had not expanded the debt ceiling this last time it would have been DRT.  We are at this phase:

https://inner.kiwi/media/images/Wile_E_Coyote.width-800.png

Stop and think about it. We have to issue more debt to make the payments.

Real inflation ... this is just my personal guess based on everday stuff ... is ... what. Nearly 300% since 2008 in some stuff like food?  You could still find a working man's cheap lunch around where I live in 08 for 5 bucks. That meal is now 12-15 bucks.
View Quote

100% agreed

IMHO inflation has been understated that whole time, and it's AWFUL now.
This is a total mess we're in, and we're all in this boat together
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thats all fine and well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats all fine and well.

Isn’t it your Bosses job, to cut the dead wood?    

Why aren’t You getting yourself into that position?

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Gen X here.  My current position has me hustling and making good money, but I'm repositioning myself so that when I can't hustle anymore, I can work fewer hours and in an easier position, while still making solid money.

I sure don't want to be old and broke.  That seems miserable.

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Both lazy fucks I work with are early 40s .

View Quote

Just goes to show you entitlement goes both ways.

I get orders specifically brought to me that my Boomer/Gen X coworker can't do as fast as I can.

Because he doesn't really want to be there. He's told me as much.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't run the shop, I work in it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Yep. Got one at my office, 54 with 33 years of service. You can retire here at 30 with a full pension, so he is working for peanuts as opposed to just retiring and finding a part time job if he wants to work still.

Eta: state job and he gets Healthcare on the state plan for life so that isn't a reason to stay.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Isn’t it your Bosses job, to cut the dead wood?    

Why aren’t You getting yourself into that position?

View Quote

Because its a family owned business and unless your name ends in XYZ you're not making any decisions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#38]
The old guys generally have the skills, experience to do the "GOOD" jobs, so they take them and stay.

Im there now too, but not eligible to retire yet.

I work with a guy who is 67, could have left years ago with a full pension. Has over $1M in his 401k, wife has $1m in investments and just inherited $2M. Both are collecting SSI already. They definitely don't need the money.

He is a friend so I check in everyday for a coffee and we talk about the stock market.

The only reason I can see that he doesn't go is he would have to spend a lot more time with his wife.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I know people who retired then went back to work elsewhere because they needed health insurance.
View Quote

Health insurance stops most from retiring
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm Gen-X and retired at 48. I hated it and went back to work full time at a job where they were having a hard time finding someone experienced and reliable because Millennials and Gen-Z.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#41]
“By Gen X I mean folks that are around retirement age, 65'ish”

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And no I work in a custom woodshop/lumber mill so no real writing skills needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it a Union shop, Seniority Based?        If so, life gets Better as you get older.    Plus, imagine how much fun work could be, when you really don’t need the money.  

We live our lives Backwards, in a sense.   We devote our Best Years of Energy, and Enthusiasm, and Relationships, to slaving away at work.  

Then, by 55 or 60, we’ve spent most of that, and all we have left is the work.   You think it’s “Sad”, … but time to face facts:  It’s just Life.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now remember that when you go in tomorrow.  Those two old boomers are probably getting tired of carrying your ass every week.    

If you showed a little initiative, they would probably feel better about turning the keys over to a green horn.

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's your first mistake!
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I have known guys that were afraid to retire.  They said that they didn't want to die.  Some that they knew who retired died with in a year or two.  I know others who won't retire because their home life sucks.  I know others that retire early with almost no savings...  People are strange.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I figure I will be able to retire in my mid-60s (46 now) if I want to. But I like my job, I own the company, can do the job with 20 employees or none, and it's fairly low stress.
I don't think I'd do well in retirement. I can tell myself I'd fish or shoot everyday but I know I won't.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP should check his math.

Then why not just say “People in their low to mid 60s”

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I can't keep up with all that crap.

Gen X, Boomer whatever. Folks at your job that are at retirement that don't want to.
View Quote

What's retirement age, and why?
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Health insurance stops most from retiring
View Quote

Are they unable to manage their taxable income to qualify for the premium tax credit (or perhaps even expanded medicaid if relevant)? That can make it much more affordable.

I cannot fathom working full time any longer than necessary. Folks who don't at least transition to part time when they can afford to retire bewilder me. I'd rather spend more days skiing, climbing, hunting, hiking, fishing, and otherwise enjoying life than working. Do these people who unnecessarily work full time have no passions or interests?
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I was considering pulling the plug in 4 years.  The only problem with that is I am at the peak of earning, and possibly I will step up more in revenue as I continue my career.  My mind is still sharp, and the medical insurance is also a thing.  As one ages, he starts thinking he needs that insurance.  What if I retire and then I get cancer?  I'm going to end up broke.  So I will just keep stacking cash for now.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top