Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
This thread is about guns, alcohol, distilling, covert navigation, nuclear reactors, and covert communications in a rural location.  All of my favorite things.

We need to add find the Fed training.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TVille:
This thread is about guns, alcohol, distilling, covert navigation, nuclear reactors, and covert communications in a rural location.  All of my favorite things.

We need to add find the Fed training.

View Quote

It's very easy actually.

You just find the guy who wants people to plow his wife.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Ticket purchased.
Will try and make it Friday.

Looking forward to good times and new friends.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#4]
FOR LAND NAV CLASS

I highly recommend you bring your own map protractor like this and a compass with rotating bezel.

@Canoeguy if you can im me, we can discuss getting a course set up ahead of time and getting maps printed.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:
FOR LAND NAV CLASS

I highly recommend you bring your own map protractor like this and a compass with rotating bezel.

@Canoeguy if you can im me, we can discuss getting a course set up ahead of time and getting maps printed.

Thanks!
View Quote

Can you mark off a 100 meter straight line course? IIRC I am 67 steps....but that was with a 25 year old body
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bansil:

Can you mark off a 100 meter straight line course? IIRC I am 67 steps....but that was with a 25 year old body
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
FOR LAND NAV CLASS

Thanks!

I have a 100m reel tape just for this
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:13:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#7]
FOR LAND NAV CLASS

Thanks!
View Quote

@canoeguy make sure he prints them off at the right resolution.

2 people from his last class haven’t been found yet.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:31:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FBATFE] [#8]
@canoeguy I PMd an idea for a fun little plinking range challenge.
Happy to head up the idea if we can get our hands on a few steel targets.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

View All Quotes
FOR LAND NAV CLASS

Thanks!

OOF

In my defense, I did have other maps they could use
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#10]

OOF

View All Quotes
FOR LAND NAV CLASS

Thanks!

OOF

It's OK.  Our maps for the CO one were printed off right but I didn't check the weather.

Two guys got zapped.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#11]

It's OK.  Our maps for the CO one were printed off right but I didn't check the weather.

Two guys got zapped.  
View All Quotes
FOR LAND NAV CLASS

Thanks!

OOF

Two guys got zapped.  

They OK?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Lol, my last nav course was for ever ago at BNOC, it was hilarious...over 3/4 of the class were NG from NY and New Jersey....it's was 100% black inner city folks....they didn't know your supposed to walk off a sidewalk at night....it was bad, 1/2 the course failed...it took fkn all night to find everyone

I guess they don't hunt naturally

I passed 100% it was bad
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:39:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#13]
Make sure to put a leg through this area and then we can also do a mountain rescue class

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
Make sure to put a leg through this area and then we can also do a mountain rescue class

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_9944_jpeg-3241496.JPG
View Quote

I hope your insurance agent doesn't find this thread!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TVille:

I hope your insurance agent doesn't find this thread!
View Quote

No kidding.

In truth though, those are real cliffs. I am always metal detecting under them hoping to find something from someone taking shelter in the past but I have yet to find any gold.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:55:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#17]
I’ll have a pile of protractors for the guys who forget theirs, and several compasses (thanks supply guy who never 2062’d them) )

I’ll be hammocking as well and will bring underbrush clearing equipment if needed. I even hammocked for my last kids birth. I also have a small kubota I can bring if we need it.

Attachment Attached File

I could also do a prospecting/gold panning demonstration if we have some real city slickers coming.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#18]

They OK?
View All Quotes
FOR LAND NAV CLASS

Thanks!

OOF

Two guys got zapped.  

They OK?

They were lurkers before but they're lighting quick posters now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:05:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#19]
Can I buy a Tshirt from the event, and a hat from the distillery? Too far to drive, and you will need someone on the other end of the HF ham demos. We can show how propagation plays a major part in being able to communicate over long distances. Some may find it very cool to talk to someone in WI from KY on a radio. I can switch from portable to a base station and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By FBATFE:
@canoeguy I PMd an idea for a fun little plinking range challenge.
Happy to head up the idea if we can get our hands on a few steel targets.
View Quote

I will talk to my insurance guy to see what the ramifications would be. The logistics just might not work this year.

Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:
I’ll have a pile of protractors for the guys who forget theirs, and several compasses (thanks supply guy who never 2062’d them) )

I’ll be hammocking as well and will bring underbrush clearing equipment if needed. I even hammocked for my last kids birth. I also have a small kubota I can bring if we need it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523616/IMG_1212_jpeg-3241511.JPG

I could also do a prospecting/gold panning demonstration if we have some real city slickers coming.
View Quote

I am a treasure hunter at heart. However I have never panned for gold and have always wanted to. I kind of doubt we will find much gold in the river but there will be plenty of coal.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#21]

I will talk to my insurance guy to see what the ramifications would be. The logistics just might not work this year.

View Quote

Understandable. Don’t over extend yourself with this on the first go around. Happy to help you out with any range ideas or ROing if need be.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
FOR LAND NAV CLASS

Thanks!

OOF

Two guys got zapped.  

They OK?

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#23]
With the HAM talk going on, perhaps we should have a camp Freq set up for comms.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:
With the HAM talk going on, perhaps we should have a camp Freq set up for comms.
View Quote

Set up a net or two during the festivities. See how many western hams can call in, as well as AK.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I think we are going to have a big attendance. We have 35 sold tickets and that doesn’t include me or probably 3-5 people I know are coming. So easily 40 people in the first 24 hours.

With that in mind I think having multiple classes/seminars on the same subject could be beneficial. However what I don’t want to do is overburden anyone and have their entire experience be working. So genuinely keeping the seminars to an hour or so I think would be great. Unless of course you just can’t structure it for that limited amount of time.

The land nav is a different animal and I will leave that up to you guys on what you want to do there.

I can about guarantee that the whiskey experience will take 3 hours or so with the latter part being more of a Q&A allowing those that want to filter away.

I know I really want to talk ham radios personally.

One other idea I was kicking around… a rifle painting session! Everyone is scared to do their first.
View Quote

I bought a ticket.  I can do radio classes, maybe go over some digital radio, and if there's anybody that wants to get some hands on with SDR & modern stuff, radio hacking etc.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
Anyone want a class on the "bang- bang" method of xenon oscillation control in a U235 reactor?
View Quote

haha yes!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Josh:

I bought a ticket.  I can do radio classes, maybe go over some digital radio, and if there's anybody that wants to get some hands on with SDR & modern stuff, radio hacking etc.

View All Quotes
I think we are going to have a big attendance. We have 35 sold tickets and that doesn’t include me or probably 3-5 people I know are coming. So easily 40 people in the first 24 hours.

With that in mind I think having multiple classes/seminars on the same subject could be beneficial. However what I don’t want to do is overburden anyone and have their entire experience be working. So genuinely keeping the seminars to an hour or so I think would be great. Unless of course you just can’t structure it for that limited amount of time.

The land nav is a different animal and I will leave that up to you guys on what you want to do there.

I can about guarantee that the whiskey experience will take 3 hours or so with the latter part being more of a Q&A allowing those that want to filter away.

One other idea I was kicking around… a rifle painting session! Everyone is scared to do their first.

I'm planning on bringing one of my IC-7300's.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Set up a net or two during the festivities. See how many western hams can call in, as well as AK.
View Quote

I meant FM for coordinating things at the event.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Bought a ticket.  Looking forward to the distillery tour and learning more about HAM radio, particularly HF stuff.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

Very cool -- I'm just a tech at the moment so I haven't bought any of the nice radios yet, a lot of my knowledge comes from my Navy career and the past several years writing software for radios.  I need to get the general and extra so I can do some real HF.  Hopefully will have some time for that in the near future.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the IC-7300 so it will be great watching someone who knows how to use it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#32]
You said there was room for a small pull behind camper? We may buy one this summer, got a lot of place we want to take it with the kids. Not sure yet...

Also, we are both super interested in the log cabin business tour. Are you still doing that? The old lady owns a design and home remodeling company, and it would be awesome to see your business
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
You said there was room for a small pull behind camper? We may buy one this summer, got a lot of place we want to take it with the kids. Not sure yet...

Also, we are both super interested in the log cabin business tour. Are you still doing that? The old lady owns a design and home remodeling company, and it would be awesome to see your business
View Quote

Plenty of room for self contained campers. No power or water available.

I will show anyone around any part of our operations, no problem at all. It’s all on the same facility.

The Distillery is the red roof on the right. The model homes are on the far left. You can see our main log yard in the middle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#34]
We currently have 40 people paid and this is day two. Keep it coming fellows!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:14:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nmbmxer] [#35]
I have an IC-7100 with a homemade screwdriver on my CUCV, I was probably going to drive that down (or a motorcycle. . .)
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:31:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AndBen] [#36]
We currently have 40 people paid and this is day two. Keep it coming fellows!
View Quote

Was the 200 limit just an arbitrary number, or is that firm?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AndBen:

Was the 200 limit just an arbitrary number, or is that firm.
View Quote

Arbitrary…however I will have to break distillery tours up into groups if we get anywhere near that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:10:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#38]
43, boys. If you are on the fencejust do it and let’s make this an event! Let’s hit 50 tonight!

ETA: if we get enough folks we could have a field fencing experience where folks get to learn how to install fence all day a few weeks earlier and it could have been a putting up hay class.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#39]
For those wondering about HAM local VHF, there are a couple of local repeaters and some longer range linked repeaters that we should be able to reach. We'll publish those for folks that want to use them on the drive in.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:55:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duc748s] [#40]
Mark me as a go, will be truck camping
View Quote

Just got a ticket and plan on Truck Camping too. I will have my 2 Belgians with me (a RMWD and Svc Dog), would that be an issue? The RMWD has a back/spinal injury so she's not crazy hyper insane, but she gets around still. Stupid question, I'm kind of busted up from svc, is there a place for a hot shower? I might need one during the event. I usually lurk the site so I don't post much but been around for awhile. If for some reason I can't make it I would gladly give my tix to someone or keep the funds so the next event can be planned

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By duc748s:

Just got a ticket and plan on Truck Camping too. I will have my 2 Belgians with me (a RMWD and Svc Dog), would that be an issue? The RMWD has a back/spinal injury so she's not crazy hyper insane, but she gets around still. Stupid question, I'm kind of busted up from svc, is there a place for a hot shower? I might need one during the event. I usually lurk the site so I don't post much but been around for awhile. If for some reason I can't make it I would gladly give my tix to someone or keep the funds so the next event can be planned

https://x.com/Sgt_ShaneV/status/1793890084900438370/photo/1
View Quote

Good dogs are not an issue as long as you are aware of others space if they don’t seem to want to be close to dogs.

I intend to have hot showers. But it may be a portable propane unit and not overly luxurious.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

No power or water? No problem. I may or may not bring my wife's little boondocking trailer We're headed to the FL Keys Friday for a week...no power and no water.

type Status report

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)

" target="_blank">

@Canoeguy, would like a tour of your distillery. I will likely come up Thursday.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

No power or water? No problem. I may or may not bring my wife's little boondocking trailer We're headed to the FL Keys Friday for a week...no power and no water.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20240410_141445.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20240410_141445.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

@Canoeguy, would like a tour of your distillery. I will likely come up Thursday.

ROCK6
View Quote

We will certainly do some tours of the distillery…which is small so don’t get too excited. However we will go a bit more in depth with barrel tastings, trying it off the still and etc.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#44]

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20240410_141445.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20240410_141445.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View All Quotes

ROCK6

That's a really neat setup you have there!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Are there any outdoor shooting ranges near by (30 miles) that people could go to?

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Seanquigley:
Are there any outdoor shooting ranges near by (30 miles) that people could go to?

View Quote

There are no shooting ranges because we all shoot off our back porches.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I’m in (probably). Do we have to pay now online or can we pay on the day of in person?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
I’m in (probably). Do we have to pay now online or can we pay on the day of in person?
View Quote

As we get closer we will make a call on that.

The truth is I want folks to sign up as early as possible so we can better plan. Once we hit a certain number things will get less worrisome…until we hit a much higher number and then it gets worrisome again.

Truthfully I can handle hundreds, but not without some industry support, which we are starting to get, and some volunteers of which we have some of those as well.

However. We are only in day two of ticket sales and we have an excellent showing this far. I expect at least ten percent won’t show.  But I also suspect we will add many more in the coming days. But I completely understand some folks need to wait till a later time to sign up, and that is ok. But if you can then please sign up early. I also will have to produce shirts and I do t want a bunch of weird leftovers nor do I want to run out.

While I am at it let me remind every one of the Fleabag Flea Market. Get your extra and unwanted gear together (no firearms) and make a couple dollars while passing on good deals.

Lay me say one more thing….this is your weekend guys. We are talking about classes and tours and movies and contests but you don’t have to do any of that. If you want to fish all day and drink around the fire and that’s it, then do that!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#49]
While I am at it let me remind every one of the Fleabag Flea Market. Get your extra and unwanted gear together (no firearms) and make a couple dollars while passing on good deals.
View Quote

Nice. Ill start looking thru the spare parts bin.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#50]
We swung by the distillery last night and are excited! They have a really nice place!
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top