Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Plenty of good choices.
I went with Dewalt 60v works very well.
The selling point was the salesman told me it would work with my 20v batteries... the salesman lied.
The 60 works with my other hand tools, but the 20v batteries do not work in the string trimmer.

Whichever you choose, it's better than a gas trimmer for a homeowner.
View Quote

Depends on property size and amount of trimming involved. In a neighborhood and your property is measured in square feet? Then yes, battery makes the most sense. If we are talking multiple acres that are maintained, then no, it isn’t better.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Been very happy with my EGO chain saw.

Weed eater next on my list.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
EGO has been mentioned 36 times so far in this thread (sometimes multiple times in same post, so not totally accurate count) but that seems like a pretty good consensus for ARFCOM; where disagreement is the default.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Started with an EGO blower several years ago. Happy with it, so stayed with their system for a string trimmer. Wife does 100% of the weed eating, and it is weed eating, no grass lawn here. Around the house, shop, driveway (500+') and garden. She loves it, although says it is heavier. IMO several smaller Ah batteries beats the larger capacity in the long run.

Took the plunge with a battery 16" EGO chainsaw also and haven't been disappointed. Doesn't replace a gas saw, wasn't meant to. But for 90% of the screwing around I do anymore, it works fine.

Pick one of the half dozen popular brands and you'll be happy.
View Quote

It is funny because I held onto my gas chainsaw after buying my 18” ego chainsaw thinking I would need it for bigger jobs.  After two years to see use on my gas saw I sold it and have no regrets.  With the ego I can do everything my old gas saw did and with three 5ah batteries I can get over 2 hours of continuous use from it which is plenty for me at any one time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What was it out of curiosity? I guess Husqvarna has spoiled me (all professional stuff), as they all always start by third pull and never give me shit.
View Quote

FS 55R I believe? Left it at the house when we moved.

Full choke pull pull pull pull. Half choke pull pull pull sputter pull pull pull. No choke pull pull sputter pull pull start and die start and die start and idle then stall. Start and idle half throttle might run. Knuckles are busted and your arm hurts, time to get to work.

It started fine hot. Cold starts were absolutely impossible. Neighbor owned the local Stihl saw shop, the dealer looked at it, I messed with it. It never changed, just how it was.

It’s silly how easy the battery stuff is, you’re outside working before you would have the tank filled on a 2 stroke. With the big EGO stuff you aren’t leaving any power behind and the weight is almost entirely dependent on the battery. 2.5ah it feels like a toy, 5.0ah it feels like an old Homelite I had 20 years ago.

The power is different, the line speed is so immediate. Combined with no noise and no vibration, it’s a totally different experience.  

You don’t buy batteries, you buy more tools when they include a battery and second battery for free. Blower, trimmer and a saw, I’m 6 batteries in. I can string trim for hours on end.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#6]
EGO with the 57v battery. Only had it for a couple of weeks, but liking it a lot!
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a big fan of the yellow and black. All 20v and 20/60v powered tools and saws. The 60v trimmer and chainsaw are great for yard maintenance. The trimmer with the flex head and a pole saw attachment works really well. I have a 5.5ac lot, with just over 2ac of lawn.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My Black and Decker has been fine for 7 years. Big yard!
View Quote

We have a newer model B&D 20 volt weed eater.

I bought two extra batteries for a total of 4. I can do our fence line with two batteries, plus some extra spots around guy wires and the like.

We have a half acre only, not like the usual millionaires posting in GD. LOL

This weed eater actually works better than a Makita model we also have. I really like the Makita batteries, and have standardized on them. The only exception is the B&D weed eater. The Makita tools are 18 volts.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]
go with whatever brand of 18v tools you already have.  I have 5 different tool battery chargers in my garage and it is a waste of space.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an M18 fuel trimmer that collects dust now.  I have 3 acres and it just doesn't have what it takes, especially now that the batteries are getting older.

My Echo SRM-225 still runs like the day I got it 9 years ago.  Throw in gas and go. I can buy a whole new Echo for the price of batteries for the M18.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

lol. The M18 trimmer weighs the same as my Husqvarna without the battery, so throw a 6.0 Ah or bigger battery on it and it weighs more.

I also know a thing or two about trimmers considering I spend several hours a week running them. If electric is so awesome, how come professionals aren’t running around with them? That’s right, they do not make sense when you have to use them heavily for long periods of time.
View Quote

Of course it makes less sense for them unless they have plenty of spare batteries.  I run my EGO until the power is gone then I charge it while I do other things.  I do not need to get 100% done in a short interval.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Started with an EGO blower several years ago. Happy with it, so stayed with their system for a string trimmer. Wife does 100% of the weed eating, and it is weed eating, no grass lawn here. Around the house, shop, driveway (500+') and garden. She loves it, although says it is heavier. IMO several smaller Ah batteries beats the larger capacity in the long run.
View Quote

Consider using a sling to take the load off.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#14]
EGO.  I own the trimmer, blower, and the Select Cut mower.  Batteries still going strong after four years.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Correct me if Im wrong but higher volts does necessarily equal longer runtimes. Its marketing.
Volts = torque amd thus cutting power.
Larger torque requires more cells.  Then more runtime requires more cells. Series + parallel.  
18-20v provides plenty of torque for my thick St.Augustine grass.
At 18v, to get useful runtime I need the 4ah or more batteries.

Bigger torque = bigger heavier battery pack.  
4 acres is a lot and I would need probably 4+ 4ah battery packs depending on how much is actually being trimmed?
just a few trees vs full fenceline.

If fencelines, GAS.
View Quote

There's a ton of other factors in that math.  The electric motor's design is the biggest.

To simplify the answer. more torque requires more power.  That doesn't necessarily mean more volts.  It can be more amps instead.  Lower voltage packs will have higher current demands than their higher voltage counterparts.  They'll have higher AH ratings for the same number of cells due to how the cells are wired together.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
EGO has been mentioned 36 times so far in this thread (sometimes multiple times in same post, so not totally accurate count) but that seems like a pretty good consensus for ARFCOM; where disagreement is the default.
View Quote

You just to accept that there are limitations using it compared to gas.   I accept that limitation and work around it with minimal inconvenience.

Of course there are advantages to battery compared to gas (for tools...not vehicles).
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Big fan of EGO.  Have several of their tools, including a string trimmer.  Great stuff.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought into the EGO system with the mower, blower, and combi sting trimmer/edger after I read their 3 year battery warranty.
I put the Shindaiwa speed head on the string trimmer.
I have been very pleased
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP, are you already invested in battery tools?  Milwaukee, DeWalt, Ryobi?

If so, check out the ones that use your existing batteries.
View Quote

Yup.

I'm in the Ryobi system.  My 40 volt weed eater's been going strong for about 12 years now.  The original battery gave up the ghost last year, but I have plenty of others to swap in from my other tools.

Home Depot is having their Ryobi days now, so there might be some good deals to be had.  Direct Tool outlet sometimes has some great deals on refurbs, but their selection looks kind of light right now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with DW because I'm already heavily invested in their cordless tools.

Was strolling through Lowes 4-5yrs ago and they had a sale where you got the trimmer, 4ah battery and a charger for $99. I figured the batt/charger was worth more than that (it was at the time). So I'd buy it for those two items and if the trimmer lasted one season so be it, I got my money's worth.

4-5yrs later and it's all I use. I only have 1.5acres though.

I do still occasionally fire up and maintain my Stihl FS85 Pro just in case the DW ever craps the bed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Title sums it up.  I'm looking for an electric weed eater.  Preferably battery powered so I don't need to deal with a cord or dragging a generator around behind me.  I've got about 4 acres.  Wife gets mad that I mow around the trees but don't weed eat them, and she has a history of blowing up my good lawn equipment.  So if I get an electric unit she'll do the weed eating.

I know battery powered units have come a LONG way since I last looked at them 10 years ago.  I'm curious what brands or units are recommended as a good value.
View Quote

Go with a 4 cycle gas. The weed eater you want needs lots of power. these battery powered ones don't cut it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Depends on property size and amount of trimming involved. In a neighborhood and your property is measured in square feet? Then yes, battery makes the most sense. If we are talking multiple acres that are maintained, then no, it isn’t better.
View Quote

I just got 35 minutes of run time from my one battery. I did both sides of a 300' driveway, around the house, trimmed a large yard, and several flower plantings.
OP is asking about battery powered equipment, not gas-powered.
I would not suggest the 60v for OPs wife, it's pretty hefty, but the smaller 20v would be fine with 2-3 batteries he already has.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought an Atlas 80v from Harbor Freight. I also got the 10’ pole saw and they are both awesome with great battery life. I got is when they had the buy the battery, get the tool free sale. It is awesome. I plan to get the rest of the line with some extra batteries.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Go with a 4 cycle gas. The weed eater you want needs lots of power. these battery powered ones don't cut it.
View Quote

4-stroke? Really?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

4-stroke? Really?
View Quote

I’m not sure what you’re saying, but 4-stroke handhelds are a thing.  Have been for a while.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I’m not sure what you’re saying, but 4-stroke handhelds are a thing.  Have been for a while.
View Quote

I know. They just always seemed like a solution looking for a problem to me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I use a Milwaukee weedeater. I'm also in the EGO family but it seems like the wide EGO batteries would be kind of cumbersome versus the M18 batteries.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I know. They just always seemed like a solution looking for a problem to me.
View Quote

Not a big fan of it for a string trimmer.  More torque but noticeably heavier and when you’re using one all day….

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I use a Milwaukee weedeater. I'm also in the EGO family but it seems like the wide EGO batteries would be kind of cumbersome versus the M18 batteries.
View Quote

Never been an issue for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

What’s the one huge positive everyone agrees about on Teslas? Power, especially off the line.

I’ve had many of the big name 2 stroke trimmers and started the electric journey with a 40V Kobalt string trimmer. The EGO stuff is a different world. I haven’t tried the second speed, I’m not even sure what it’s for

It isn’t the stuff from 10 years ago and it definitely isn’t the lower tier stuff that’s available now. It honestly makes my old Stihl trimmer feel like a toy, it’s embarrassing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is the way. I have them and they are solid. Great 2cycle replacements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Big fan of EGO.  Have several of their tools, including a string trimmer.  Great stuff.

This is the way. I have them and they are solid. Great 2cycle replacements.

This, it all started for me a couple years ago when my push mower died. I have like one little spot the zero turn will fit, takes me less than 5 minutes. I was looking for a used cheap push mower and none could’ve found so I grabbed a Ego. It worked so good I grabbed a hedge trimmer, blower and weed eater. While I still have my Sthil gas backpack blower and weed eater I never use them, the Ego’s are just to quick to get out, use and put away.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#32]
EGO is the gold standard.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top