User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wrong.

Each aircraft has a single weight setting. Pilots know to be at or under it. Occasionally that will change based of emergencies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also they declare their weight when they trap,  Let's the arresting gear dudes set how much tension they need.
Wrong.

Each aircraft has a single weight setting. Pilots know to be at or under it. Occasionally that will change based of emergencies.
How does it work for a super hornet set up as a refueler vs "normal"?
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How does it work for a super hornet set up as a refueler vs "normal"?
View Quote
No difference. Get rid of the gas so that you're light enough to land, but not to soon. Also don't make the flight deck wait on you. Also don't be heavy, and don't dump fuel on the flight deck or the boss will tear you a new one.

Straightforward, really.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Just imagine doing that work at night!
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would bet a nigh time carrier landing would pucker you right up, no matter how many times you've done it.
View Quote
watch the beginning of the second video and you'll see 7 guys in a row miss their landing...

PBS: Carrier - Landing on a Pitching Deck Pt. 1

PBS: Carrier - Landing on a Pitching Deck Pt. 2
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Great videos.  Carriers are more than just pilots and planes.  It's the mechanics, the flight deck crew, virtually everyone working in harmony to keep the machine working.  The loss of the trained personnel at Midway permanently crippled the IJN in WW II.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Just watched this video....

Who's the green shirt guy in the hole?

What's his job?

That looks like it could be a pretty good adrenaline rush right there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I was an Avation Electronics Tech on EA-6B's, and worked the flight deck as a "final checker", ( white shirt).  Fun job, had to keep head on a swivel at all times.
VAQ-134, Constellation & Carl Vinson, 1980's.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is there something special or significant about that particular Tomcat ('200' with the Jolly Rodger on the tail)?
View Quote
With today's Hornet flight deck the MODEX numbers follow this scheme (CAG Two = Example)  (8 and 9 are not used).

VFA-2
100 - 1XX

VFA-137
200 - 2XX

VFA-192
300 - 3XX

VFA-34
400 - 4XX

VAQ-136
500 - 5XX

VAW-113
600 - 6XX

HSC-4
610 - 6XX

HSM-78
700 - 7XX

The C-2 COD uses a two digit number, VRC-30 starts at 20 and goes up to 30 (if need be).

000 = Admirals plane

X00 = CAG (Commodore = Navy Captain)

X01 = CO

X02 = XO

And so on.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some of my best Navy memories are of doing that same work at night.

This is what its like

Aircraft Carrier USS Carl Vinson Night Flight Operations
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pretty cool videos. Hopefully one of our resident squids will be along and explain some of what is going on.
View Quote
The big boat is floating and making way.

The big funny grey noisy thing is leaving the big boat in a big hurry.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is what its like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj97iN-6KEA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what its like

Yep.

I was senior plane captain on night shift for about four months when we went on WESTPAC.

It’s just as exciting at night, only difference is you REALLY gotta be aware of the aircraft dance.  You don’t have light that is worth a fuck, and believe it or not you don’t always hear the aircraft coming up on you and around you with all the associated noise.

You do learn to go by the changing tone of the prop and turbine sound as things are throttling up, cutting down, making a turn etc.

It was also fun having a couple new guys with a death grip on the back of my belt while dragging them around the flight deck to get them used to night ops.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just watched this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-hefIkrf2w

What's his job?

https://i.imgur.com/uqQmfnE.jpg

That looks like it could be a pretty good adrenaline rush right there.
View Quote
And what are the two guys in green performing the synchronized dance starting around :50 seconds doing?
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It sure was. It was very easy on knees and boots.
Did you see it after they recoated it?  it was like one grit sandpaper and felt like it too...
I worked as an AT on the EA6B. Loudest pig in the sky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was a PC for a bit. My first day as a "trainee" on the flight deck landed me in the net.  The JFK during the first Gulf War had zero non skid. In fact we had to fly contractors out to the boat during desert shield because it was so bad.
Did you see it after they recoated it?  it was like one grit sandpaper and felt like it too...
Yes.
New non skid is the most abrasive substance known to man.  Loudest place on the planet also. I spend half my day apologizing for asking people to repeat themselves.  Time to get hearing aids I guess.  That's said, I have no ragrets.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes.
New non skid is the most abrasive substance known to man.  Loudest place on the planet also. I spend half my day apologizing for asking people to repeat themselves.  Time to get hearing aids I guess.  That's said, I have no ragrets.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was a PC for a bit. My first day as a "trainee" on the flight deck landed me in the net.  The JFK during the first Gulf War had zero non skid. In fact we had to fly contractors out to the boat during desert shield because it was so bad.
Yes.
Bold part for certain is true
I would contend that the deck directly beneath the machine that removes nonskid is the loudest place on earth. Makes listening to jet engines sound quiet.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is what its like

View Quote
Are those light batteries rechargeable or disposable?

What is the average time between launches on a single catapult?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what its like

Batteries in the flashlights? Back in the Day they were just regular old batteries, no idea if they are high tech now.

Regarding launches per cat, I never really timed it and don't know what the "official" numbers are. The "bow cats" (1 & 2) were typically not used as that's where aircraft are stored and general maintenance performed. The "waist cats" across the angle deck is where launch and recovery took place, at a "regular" cadence we would put one in the air every ten minutes or so iirc, take that with a grain of salt as its a memory from nearly 30 years ago and I wasn't timing anything.

To give you a better idea of the pace look at the recovery part of the video, you can see the next 1-2 aircraft in line already in pattern on the horizon.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would contend that the deck directly beneath the machine that removes nonskid is the loudest place on earth. Makes listening to jet engines sound quiet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.
Yup. I forgot about those grinders. Add to that my berthing area was directly below the spot where most of the aircraft would slam down on the flight deck. I was on the top bunk and directly under the a/c vent. It was like dropping a pickup from a crane onto a platform just above your head. For years afterward I could sleep through anything.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yup. I forgot about those grinders. Add to that my berthing area was directly below the spot where most of the aircraft would slam down on the flight deck. I was on the top bunk and directly under the a/c vent. It was like dropping a pickup from a crane onto a platform just above your head. For years afterward I could sleep through anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.
They are called deck crawlers. There are different sizes, with the biggest ones being used to strip non-skid.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks to this thread I wasted over an hour watching launching and recovery videos. And I learned about the hold back bar, never knew what the heck it was.

Question...how does the hold back bar actually release?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#21]
The US Navy has no peers when it comes to carrier operations. Then, they have had
quite a bit of practice. They make it look easy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks to this thread I wasted over an hour watching launching and recovery videos. And I learned about the hold back bar, never knew what the heck it was.

View Quote

The hold back has a tension bar in it. One end is hooked into the strut and the other end into the hold back.  When they launch the tension bar breaks.

They're color coded according to aircraft.

Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
http://www.uss-bennington.org/pics/phz-62-TensionBar.jpg

The hold back has a tension bar in it. One end is hooked into the strut and the other end into the hold back.  When they launch the tension bar breaks.

http://slideplayer.com/9410634/28/images/5/Critical+Safety+Item+Holdback+Bar+Release+Element.jpg

http://www.maritime.org/doc/catapult/img/fig3-14.jpg
View Quote
Very cool, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://slideplayer.com/9410634/28/images/5/Critical+Safety+Item+Holdback+Bar+Release+Element.jpg

View Quote
Any idea what the cost is per tension bar?  Going a little further down that rabbit hole, what is the estimated cost per launch and recovery in consumables?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Any idea what the cost is per tension bar?  Going a little further down that rabbit hole, what is the estimated cost per launch and recovery in consumables?
View Quote
87 Freedom Units
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
watch the beginning of the second video and you'll see 7 guys in a row miss their landing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gGMI8d3vLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0yj70QbBzg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would bet a nigh time carrier landing would pucker you right up, no matter how many times you've done it.

That second video was exponential pucker factor.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that.

First video was nice to see Jolley Roger Super Hornet D model.

Link Posted: 11/21/2017 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#28]
You know, being a UH-60 crew chief is awesome and comes with its risks. But you deck crews...man, you guys have an awesome job! My HGU-56/P is off to you! You guys have to have your shit wired tight. Hopefully one day I'll get to do deck quals.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 12:46:26 AM EDT
[#29]
It seemed like they where just routine takeoffs , I wonder how
fast they could up the tempo when needed ? really cool op thanks for posting .
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:08:41 AM EDT
[#30]
OST for cool shit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You know, being a UH-60 crew chief is awesome and comes with its risks. But you deck crews...man, you guys have an awesome job! My HGU-56/P is off to you! You guys have to have your shit wired tight. Hopefully one day I'll get to do deck quals.
View Quote
As your equivalent from a navy stance, I'd trade you any day.  It's mostly because we all think the other guy's job is cooler, but flight deck ops in a helo squadron aren't as cool as they look.  Just like your job.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No difference. Get rid of the gas so that you're light enough to land, but not to soon. Also don't make the flight deck wait on you. Also don't be heavy, and don't dump fuel on the flight deck or the boss will tear you a new one.
Straightforward, really.
View Quote
No need to dump fuel or ordnance with the Superhornet.
9,000 lbs bringback capability.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:39:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
It depends.
If you are someplace where you have the ability to have a charger then you get rechargeable batteries.
If not you use alkaline D-cell batteries.

Most of the flight deck flashlights have gone LED with rechargeable ni-cad batteries.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Pure badass and unadulterated power, and an amazing symphony of movement.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:53:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Those were all CQ (carrier qualifications) ops.
During real ops no one would be fucking around wearing a go-pro if they were directly involved with the operations.

When I was on the Stennis they were using cats one, two and three to launch planes off during OEF.
The F-14's and F-18's went off the waist cats, the EA-6B and the E-2C went off the number 2 cat.

Cat one had planes either parked on it or planes that were getting ready to launch on it.

Planes were getting off the deck in the 20-30 second range.
About 32 launches off the deck in about 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:54:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
As your equivalent from a navy stance, I'd trade you any day.  It's mostly because we all think the other guy's job is cooler, but flight deck ops in a helo squadron aren't as cool as they look.  Just like your job.
View Quote
Unless the helo is flying some sort of a land based mission then they are flying SAR - Starboard Delta for hours.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Brings back memories.  I was a purple shirt (fuels) on the USS Valley Forge ‘68-70.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 2:04:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just so I'm understanding - does the tension bar break every time the aircraft is launched?

I guess I'm just not really sure what they do or how they do it.

-K
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 2:13:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
During real ops no one would be fucking around wearing a go-pro if they were directly involved with the operations.

When I was on the Stennis they were using cats one, two and three to launch planes off during OEF.
The F-14's and F-18's went off the waist cats, the EA-6B and the E-2C went off the number 2 cat.

Cat one had planes either parked on it or planes that were getting ready to launch on it.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-3b289e8d249beb9b9c1a9cf911762431-c

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-3b289e8d249beb9b9c1a9cf911762431-c

As a Non designated AN3 I was a Flight Deck Director on CVN-73 in 96’ I later struck AT to get in the avionics shop.

The deck at night is crazy. Head on a swivel is an understatement shit will sneak up on you more than in the day. Sketchiest night was during work ups on the edge of a tropical storm the rest of the fleet went around and under. It was like being on a roller coaster. Had to launch an emergency A6 tanker for the 2 tankers that were running out of gas we had so many failed traps. During the respot and the end of the night we almost lost a Tomcat over the fantail.

Anyway on to the tempo. In the gulf 96’ during some war games we launched 72 birds in 30 min. It strangely quiet for a while waiting on them to come back. When prepped for it a CVN can spew some hate. It was extremely unusual to be running 3 elevators during launch (emptying the hanager). That was the most hectic launch sequence followed by the most hectic landing sequence of my time in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is interesting to find out how other jobs function.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Super Hornet and D model don’t go together.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
If a ship is in harms way, you just keep birds up in the air at CAP stations all of the time.

I'm pretty sure we launched birds at a faster pace than they do in the video but I could be wrong. We also had more planes on the ship back in the day.

A normal launch evolution (if I remember right, '77-81) was about 45 minutes - That was pre-flight walk around with the aircrew, start up and power up checks. Booting up the INS Inertial Navigation System was the most time consuming. In the Gulf of Sidra In August of 1981, the evening of the first Libyan shoot-down, some F-4's from the Forrestal were mis-identified. General Quarters was called and we launched every Tomcat as fast as we could. The preflight consisted of pulling the the safety pins from landing gear and tail hook. My partner and I launched a VF-41 bird at the waist cats, some trouble shooters from VF-41 launched one of our birds at the bow.

We also had 5 minute and 2 minute alerts. The aircrew would power up the bird, do all of the pre-flight checks, lock in the INS, shut down the engines and keep the electrical cable and huffer connected. For a 5 minute alert the aircrew would wait in the ready room, for the 2 minute alert the crew would stay in the bird.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No need to dump fuel or ordnance with the Superhornet.
9,000 lbs bringback capability.
View Quote
On a normal day, true. As a tanker, lots to dump or giveaway.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 2:46:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just so I'm understanding - does the tension bar break every time the aircraft is launched?

-K
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-K
The hold back fitting (#5 in the drawing) breaks in two when the correct tension is reached. One half of the fitting stays in the mounting point on the aircraft, the other half is in the hold back bar (#2, 3 and 4) that falls to the deck. A CAT green shirt retrieves the bar, takes the remaining half of the hold back fitting and chucks it over the side.  Plane Captain is responsible for removing the airplane half during his turnaround inspection.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 3:32:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm...my time as a UH-1E crew chief was extremely cool. From LPH ops in bad weather/rough seas to flying low level with a Vietnam vet showing a noob pilot how it's *supposed* to be done to gun practice with an M60 mounted in the door to skid walking at 5000ft over the western pacific. Those are just a few of the highlights.

Almost forgot a surreal night in a typhoon when my section had duty. Was ordered to go topside (thank God) and secure rotor tie downs that were popping loose. That sometimes required climbing onto the bird and onto the rotor assembly (if you couldn't weight it down just by leaning on it with your torso because the typhoon wind was flapping it around), then shuffling along while sitting on the blade moving toward the end of the blade you want to come down so your bros can grab and secure that fucker. Did I mention this was at night and the LPH is pitching heavily in the rough seas with spray coming over her bow and onto a flight deck that normally sits ~70ft above water? Being topside sure beat below, which was filled with the stench of vomit piss and shit because the water system had busticated.

I've got more stories if you want to read em.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 6:46:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What do the different color vests/shirts signify?

I recall reading about it somewhere, but forgot what what they meant, designated.

And in before guy getting sucked into jet intake video.
View Quote
That's...not the worst.

Current worst is troubleshooter getting picked off by a launching jet.  I won't post the photo out of respect.

Jet made an emergency landing on shore with his head still impaled on the wingtip launcher.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A junior sailor in charge of greeting the pilot, setting up the cockpit switches, giving all the hand signals to start the jet and beyond. Once pilot says jet is ready, the PC passes jet to yellow shirt for taxi to the cat. This is on the boat obviously
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is my big takeaway from these videos.  My hat is off to all those that served!

What is a "Plane Captain"?
A junior sailor in charge of greeting the pilot, setting up the cockpit switches, giving all the hand signals to start the jet and beyond. Once pilot says jet is ready, the PC passes jet to yellow shirt for taxi to the cat. This is on the boat obviously
Also fuels the jet, ensures cockpit is ready to receive pilot, performs daily and turnaround inspections, ensures aircraft is fueled, lubed, all fluids topped off, etc.  Also responsible for washing, moving, locking down aircraft.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Squadron? Boat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trouble Shooter / Final Checker was the best job I had out there.

Even after 30+ years, I still miss it.
Squadron? Boat?
@Whamo

VAW-124 Power plants, U.S.S. Nimitz  83- 86.

I got out just before the North Atlantic cruise.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top