Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2024 3:30:32 PM EDT
A relative moved out of her house into an Airbnb and will be moving to another one in month or so. ID is still under the last address (same state but a good distance away) because you can't use that type of temporary rental for a permanent address. Can she legally buy a gun from an FFL/store before moving into her new place? She tried recently and they said pretty much "no you can't but come back when your ID is up to date".
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If she changes her DMV address to the new apt, then that's new new address. Whether it's 1,2,3,4... months it seems to me irrelevant.
All rentals are temporary addresses if you don't own it. I would think a more important question would be... does the Airbnb owner allow firearms in the apt.

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By eric496:
..... Can she legally buy a gun from an FFL/store before moving into her new place? She tried recently and they said pretty much "no you can't but come back when your ID is up to date".
View Quote

Federal law requires that the buyer provide their current residence address on the Form 4473.
If their government issued photo ID does not show that address, then additional government issued documents showing the buyers name and current address may be used. It's in the instructions for Questions 10 and 26.a on the ATF Form 4473.

"no you can't but come back when your ID is up to date"  isn't federal law, but that dealers store policy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Federal law requires that the buyer provide their current residence address on the Form 4473.
If their government issued photo ID does not show that address, then additional government issued documents showing the buyers name and current address may be used. It's in the instructions for Questions 10 and 26.a on the ATF Form 4473.

"no you can't but come back when your ID is up to date"  isn't federal law, but that dealers store policy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
Originally Posted By eric496:
..... Can she legally buy a gun from an FFL/store before moving into her new place? She tried recently and they said pretty much "no you can't but come back when your ID is up to date".

OK, thanks. I thought it was something like that. Kinda caught me by surprise when she texted me what happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top