Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Got to see the looks on the faces of the people I bought gifts for.

The little ones with pocket microscopes running around looking at cloth, paper, dog hairs, etc., etc.  I heard they used their portable battery packs for their note pads when they went for an out of state visit.

The older kids (sons, nephew) got pistol cases/range bags, pistol cleaning kits, IWB magazine pouches (all of them have concealed carry permits), streamlight dual fuel flashlights, sets of allen wrenches/torques head wrenches, impact driver adaptors, combo screw driver sets, and gift cards.

Wife got a bunch of gift cards to the make up stores, clothing stores, restaurants, etc.

That's what dad's get out of Christmas - the looks on the faces of his family when they open up their presents.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I buy shit all year long and enjoy watching the kids open their presents at Christmas. My wife and I bought Apple watches for each other this year. Had the kids wrap them and say they were from them. They thought it was pretty funny Mom and Dad bought the same gift without knowing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Christmas is for the children.   I got a box of chocolates and a car phone charger and couldn't be happier.   If I want something I'll buy it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Having my sons and all my grandkids here together was just fine; finding out I’m going to be a GrandPap again was a bonus.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:51:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not a Dad, but I buy what I want during the year. I dont need some made up holidays to get gifts. I do like buying stuff for others on Christmas though.
View Quote
LoL, Jesus is the reason for the season, and I don’t mean the landscaper, Bro.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Life is tradeoffs. Dads have always gotten the suck end with presents. Like since time began.  Just part of the Dad territory. Suck it up, Buttercup.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#7]
There has only been two Christmas’s, out of many, where my wife got me stuff I actually wanted. This year to make it easy, I bought myself stuff I know she wouldn’t/couldn’t buy me.

I did score a nice coffee mug from one boy and a gift card I’ll actually use from the other.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All 12 of my offspring here and happy
I am not screwed
View Quote
Like your attitude. Good on you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#9]
You're a grown ass man, buy what you want.
I realized that getting presents wasn't the point of Christmas when I learned that Santa wasn't real.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Life's a lot simpler and much better if you lower your expectations.  Got my parents to agree not to exchange gifts 11 years ago.  It's hard to buy shit for people you never see and don't have the slightest idea of what they need or want.  Wife and I followed suit with each other a few years ago - We'll agree to go do something together or go on vacation sometime instead.  I told my sons not to get me anything, but they did so anyway.  Had a relaxing day around the house, and while I should have worked on a project or two, convinced myself I earned a day not to have to do stuff that needs doing.

Years ago, my wife and kids would buy me shit that I neither needed or wanted.  Telling people not to spend my money on me leads to hurt feelings, because they think they're doing a good thing by making sure there is stuff under the tree.  OP, I hope for your sake that Irish Spring is your preferred soap.  By the way, I was told by the parent of a small child that got disciplined for swearing that Irish Spring is "spicy".
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I never ask for anything because I buy stuff all year and am hard to buy for. My son got me a DJI drone though and it's super cool. I was totally surprised.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#12]
My dad is retired. He does not really have any extra money, so this year I gave him some money to buy what he wants.

For past Christmas and birthday gifts I have given him guns, and a locking cabinet in which to keep them, but he is not a gun guy like me and I did not figure he needed or wanted anymore than what he already has. So it was money.

As a matter of fact that's all I gave anyone this year to the tune of about $700, except my sister and her husband. I gave them a Ruger SR22, a .22lr cleaning kit, a 300 round box of .22lr ammo and some .243 ammo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I got more than usual. New tough system tool box, remote start for my truck, and a vintage Hubertus stag hunting knife.  I was thrilled as I usually get underwear and socks.

I bought the wife socks and surprisingly it was her favorite gift.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Its not about the gift. Its the lack of effort and heart that went into it. That irish spring is just a big fuck you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am not screwed
View Quote
12?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My dad basically buys whatever he wants all year long.

He's pretty hard to shop for. He tells us not to get him things.

I got him a saw blade.
View Quote
This kind of stuff, exactly.   I got myself a new screwdriver set from HD.  I can always use more screwdrivers.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Not this dad! I dont celebrate xmas. So the wife gets to do all the shopping, tree idol proppin up, decorating, etc...
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I got screwed 2x yesterday.

Pretty good Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Nah.  I'm a dad and I get what I want, when I want it.

Christmas is fun at my house.  A 6 and a 9 year old make it interesting.  The only problem is lack of sleep...
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Christmas is for the kids.

We get the things we want when we want them, so we don't do gifts between us.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Buy shit all year without question kinda does it.

Same reason my wife and I don't get each other presents at Christmas.

I got her a new Macbook a month ago, because she wanted it.
View Quote
This right here. We buy whatever we need throughout the year and don't buy stuff for each other on any gift giving holiday.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
12?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not screwed
12?
My thoughts exactly!

Also, OP was definitely on the naughty list. Family didn’t even give him the fancy-fu-fu Sasquatch soap!

We got my kids a few toys and XBOX store gift cards. My wife got an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. I got a PTR 9KT with every accessory I need, and an eForm 1. The best part about my gift was she went out and got her prints all by herself WITHOUT complaining!
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#23]
More blessed to give than to receive...that is the spirit of Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#24]
A lot of the first posts nailed it !
Christmas is for the family and remembering what it's all about .
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m a single dad of 3 kids from 9 to 4. Sure, I didn’t get anything store bought but the handful of homemade gifts from them almost brought me to tears. I will cherish those gifts more than anything they could have bought me.
View Quote
you win the internetz today, dad .

I'm still married with only one kid who is long since grown and i cannot begin to wrap my head around your current situation...other than to say i was the oldest kid at 8 when my mom got killed at 31 and my dad who also was 31 got left behind with 2 small kids.

guys like you win my vote
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This kind of stuff, exactly.   I got myself a new screwdriver set from HD.  I can always use more screwdrivers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got him a saw blade.
The saw blade I got my dad was like $125. So that kinda falls into the category of yea he can afford it and thought it would be nice but too cheap to pull the trigger himself
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Somewhere between the holidays I got myself lots of things, mostly gun related.

Wife bought me a sweet rifle (not very expensive, but very nice).

She got a scope for her .22.

I actually unwrapped a Glock hat and cleaning mat.

Christmas isn't about gifts, it's about family. Gifts are secondary.

Did get 2 of my very good friends basic AR15s and a case of ammo to split.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Here’s a corollary to my earlier comments about the fall of the American dream.

My ol’ man worked 2 jobs to provide for his family & seldom thought about himself.  His goal for his family was a better life.

No wonder
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#29]
You got the best gift with your wife man
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I always know what I'm getting because my wife doesn't pay attention when I talk, lol.

I usually tell what I could use and most of the time she gets most of it then some.

My daughter is where the variables come in, I never know what she's getting me, she got me Star Wars Clone Wars DVD box set because I mentioned it.

Best Star Wars ever.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I much prefer to give than receive.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I got my kid a carton of cigarettes.   "Smoke up Johnny!", I tells him.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I much prefer to give than receive.
View Quote
I believe the term for that is "Top", or "Power Top".
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I buy guns and ammo all year, trust me , I'm ahead. Dropping 1or 2 k on wife keeps her from going in my gun room
View Quote
This right here fellas.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, but you get the big piece of chicken all year long.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#37]
I just care how happy my kids are. My wife and I didn't get anything for each other this Christmas. I still made out very well. Kids got me a best dad magnet and FIL gave me 4 filled Pmags and bass pro gift cards.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I got a new carry pistol, a new Alien Gear holster, a Plano All-Weather hard case for my rifle, a Duluth Trading Co. Shirt-Jack, some legos, bottle of New Riff Single Barrel, bottle of Woodford Double Oaked, a tin cup that says It Might Be Whiskey (it most certainly will be), ammo, some gift cards.

Other than the cup, the legos and the gift cards, I bought it all myself, just so I do not end up feeling like OP. I am super happy with my Christmas haul.

Yesterday was a great day though with or without the presents. My oldest and his roommate came over for breaksfast (I made biscuits and gravy) and they hung out and played Nintendo switch with my other son and my daughter. I fired up the smoker and tossed in a 4 bone prime rib. Around 1:30 the grazing began with all the Hors d'oeuvres. Watched the new much darker version of the Christmas Carole. My MIL and her friend came over and we served the main course at 5pm.

Celebrating the birth of Jesus and spending time with my wife and kids and other family... how could it ever not be great.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Its what dads do for their family... I dont care what I get.. Im happy if they are
View Quote
This.  Sometimes I look at all the money "we" spend on Christmas for the wives and kids and compare piles and have a flash of jealousy.  But then remember I want very little and likely need less.

I got socks, underwear, and work shoes. My feet won't hurt and my junk won't hang out.  I hit the Walmart ammo clearance hard. What more does a dad need really?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I spend the most on my dad.
I got my dad a 10 gallon brew kettle and a immersion chiller.

It is kind of a family gift though because we all work together to brew a few batches of beer.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I got him a saw blade.
View Quote
I usually get my dad a bottle of wine because he has the means to buy pretty much anything he wants throughout the year.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#43]
One year my college daughter got me 10 Chapsticks.  Everytime I used one I thought of her.  Those Chapsticks are long gone but I sure enjoyed them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Pics of wife? Asking for me.
View Quote
Lol at least you're honest.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#45]
I told my son a month ago we couldn't afford a Baratone Sax for his Christmas, he understood.

So yesterday after he opened all his presents and was enjoying them, I walked in the room with the Sax. He about fainted.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yeah, but you get the big piece of chicken all year long.
View Quote
Best response in this thread.  Hand Salute!
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Not only do I buy my shit all year, but I’m a picky bastard about what I buy.  Wife gets what she wants anytime as well.   I gave her a challenge this year to find me some leather gloves that fit correctly.  She hit a home run with the ones she found.   She also bought a $300 video pic frame that she wanted where we can upload pics from our phones.

For her, I dropped about $120 on scratch offs.  She fucking loves gambling and scratch offs.  I wrapped them up in about 6 different boxes.  Got her a new kitchen hand mixer as a joke because we were discussing how our 30 yo unit finally died.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#48]
You are a husband and a dad.  Your job is to pick up the tab.  Not be the tab.  Man up.

My wife did not get me anything this Christmas.  This is what we agreed to do.  We did get some neat handmade things from the grandkids.  My sons got my wife 8 ounces of Qiviet raw wool for her to spin and make something of.  It goes for $65 and ounce.  Reduced her to tears real quick.  Santa did stop buy and give her an emerald pendant necklace.  After 43 years of me she deserves it.

The boys are taking me to a Buffalo Sabers v Boston Bruins hockey game tomorrow night.  I haven't been to an NHL game in some 35 years or so.  Should be fun.  Been a long time since "Mom's Men" have had a night out together.  If I think about it now that the boys are raised and fledged and I am retired, I don't have to be the responsible adult anymore.  Could be best dad night ever.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#49]
My wife did really good this year.  Wireless headset, new baseball glove, lunch bag, and a map of the AO from my first tour in Iraq.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Everything I got, I had to give the wife money for.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top