Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it's just stuck on with some 3M tape.
View Quote

get a piece of strong fishing line, heavy thread or dental floss and use it like a bow saw to cut the 3m tape thus removing the stick-on

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I specified in the contract that no dealer advertising other than license plate frames were to be affixed to my vehicle.

View Quote

My father would do the same thing. This was back when they’d drill holes and rivet the emblems on. It caused the dealership problems with the registry and his bank when they riveted an emblem onto his brand new 280ZX because he forced them to take it back and give him a new car.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I did remove it.  My problem is that it was there in the first place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This it's not like they used J B WELD  OP

You can remove it

I sold cars for two years, she might not be lying.

We did license plate holders to advertise. I would always ask if they wanted one or without it.

The vast majority (let's say 70%) said "sure fine whatever". But what's nuts is 20% of the remaining were like "OH YOU BETTER GIVE ME THAT LICENSE PLATE HOLDER! DON'T TRY TO RIP ME OFF I BOUGHT A 40K CAR I GET THE LICENSE HOLDER"

The renaming 10% didn't want it.

There's a dealer out in Chantilly that does pink ones. They look awful, but obviously I assume they're for breast cancer. Anyways they give you one when you buy a car, otherwise they're $40

And people fucking buy them
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Just bought my wife a Tahoe.

I had them remove the plate frames (they actually asked if I wanted them to) then I replaced the cheap galvanized insta-rust plate screws with stainless.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
dental floss
heat gun
/thread
View Quote

Hair dryer
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember how, back in the day, they would drill a couple of holes to mount it!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can't believe how many people drive around with "localcardealership.com" accross the fucking rear windshield in my area.
View Quote

What’s even worse is the idiots who leave the “This car causes cancer” sticker on the driver’s side window on cars in California. They’re not even stickers, they’re vinyl decals that peel right off. I even see them on cars here in Texas  because of all the transplants.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I ordered a truck from ford. When it came in, I went to pick it up and refused to take "delivery" of it because they put their license plate brackets on the front and back, plus stuck a giant logo on the bumper.

I said take it off or pay me $350 a month to advertise for you.

They took it off. When they brought the truck back there was a distinct oval where they peeled the logo off. I told them that was unacceptable for a brand new vehicle, so they had their bodyshop guys buff it out.

Might be too late for you, since you drove it off the lot.
View Quote
This is the answer. Or tell them they'll need to pay a monthly or annual advertising fee.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Heat gun and fishing string, pretty simple to remove.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
dental floss
heat gun
/thread
View Quote

Heat gun. Old man magic.

Nobody complained all these years because we planned to de-badge that shit anyway.

OP, do you need someone to remove the license plate frame with the salesman's name? It might literally be SCREWED to your new car.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Back in 1985 I bought a new Chevrolet Cavalier. Cheapest one they made. Think it was 6K out the door. Told them if it has any dealer badging on it at pick up the deal is off.  Sure enough, checked it out before signing anything. It had a dealer decal on it. Should of seen the salesman's face when I told him the deal is off. They took  it in and promptly removed it. Ended up being a great car, Beat the hell out of it for 200 thousand miles before it died.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This it's not like they used J B WELD  OP

You can remove it

You really should speak with the manager. Demand reparations.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We did license plate holders to advertise. I would always ask if they wanted one or without it.

The vast majority (let's say 70%) said "sure fine whatever". But what's nuts is 20% of the remaining were like "OH YOU BETTER GIVE ME THAT LICENSE PLATE HOLDER! DON'T TRY TO RIP ME OFF I BOUGHT A 40K CAR I GET THE LICENSE HOLDER"

There's a dealer out in Chantilly that does pink ones. They look awful, but obviously I assume they're for breast cancer. Anyways they give you one when you buy a car, otherwise they're $40

View Quote

The first thing I do is get rid of them. A coworker drives a beautiful Mercedes with this chunky chrome ugly ass dealer license plate frame (not even an MB dealer). I offered to remove it for her.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Just go to the mall and find a tailgate to trade
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#15]
WD40 is your friend in this case.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The first thing I do is get rid of them. A coworker drives a beautiful Mercedes with this chunky chrome ugly ass dealer license plate frame. I offered to remove it for her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first thing I do is get rid of them. A coworker drives a beautiful Mercedes with this chunky chrome ugly ass dealer license plate frame. I offered to remove it for her.

Totally agree.

But if you look around I would say the majority of people have them. It is bizarre to me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What’s even worse is the idiots who leave the “This car causes cancer” sticker on the driver’s side window on cars in California. They’re not even stickers, they’re vinyl decals that peel right off. I even see them on cars here in Texas  because of all the transplants.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180048/IMG_2676_png-3216802.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180048/IMG_2675_png-3216803.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't believe how many people drive around with "localcardealership.com" accross the fucking rear windshield in my area.

Triggered………..

I live in northern VA. Yeah. Liberal meca. Yet. I live in one of the very few non HOA neighborhoods.

I absolutely despise being told what I can and cannot do with MY property.

Which is why I am routinely late on my annual fucking safety inspection
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Weak rant

I still have the dealership emblem on my ‘69 Camaro. The dealership is still there but another name now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Triggered………..

I live in northern VA. Yeah. Liberal meca. Yet. I live in one of the very few non HOA neighborhoods.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Triggered………..

Plus if you expire let's say May 31st, if you do it June 1st you get a free month.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#20]
That's the kind of thing you insist upon after the money deal is made, but before you sign the contract.  Make them remove it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Plus if you expire let's say May 31st, if you do it June 1st you get a free month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Triggered………..

My motorcycle has a 2019 sticker on it

Any motorcycle rider worth a damn checks, their lights and brakes regularly.

It’s bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Years ago I was buying a truck told them the sticker had to go. Was told it was not possible said ok no problem I will see myself out. Amazingly soon after they where able to remove it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm the same way!  I have them remove that shit during their "clean-up".  They don't pay me to advertise, and I think it looks trashy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#24]
You guys would shit if bought back when they used 2 screws to attach it .  

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#25]
It’s standard procedure, I can’t imagine anyone being upset about it.

They come off easily and cause no damage.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Years ago I was buying a truck told them the sticker had to go. Was told it was not possible said ok no problem I will see myself out. Amazingly soon after they where able to remove it.
View Quote

Yup. I don’t advertise for free, I won’t leave a dealership with it on the car.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Another reason I like Carmax. Besides no negotiation and awesome warranty. Their logo peals off with a fingernail.

My last car I bought a regular dealership. Plastic pry tool and goo gone took me 30 minutes. Bastards.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
dental floss
heat gun
/thread
View Quote

This. They're not riveted like the old days.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
it's just stuck on with some 3M tape.
View Quote

Squirting with some WD-40, let the capillary action soak in, the. Just peal it back.  Any residue?  WD-40 on a terry loth or microfiber cloth.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Save it in 50 years it will be worth big bucks!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A hair dryer and its off in a couple of minutes.

Of all the stuff to get your panties in a twist over.
View Quote

It’s completely unnecessary, and BS. I am not sponsored by the dealership so I don’t need their badges.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#32]
My father pre warned Ted Britt Ford in Fairfax about that shit on a multi vehicle fleet purchase.

They did not heed his instruction and Koons Ford in Falls Church was the beneficiary of Britt’s hubris.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My father pre warned Ted Britt Ford in Fairfax about that shit on a multi vehicle fleet purchase.

They did not heed his instruction and Koons Ford in Falls Church was the beneficiary of Britt’s hubris.
View Quote

My wife’s blazer has a Ted Britt Chevy logo on it. I said I would take it off and she said na. Even though she was pissed how they handles some things. If I took it off I doubt she would notice.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#34]
"No dealer badging"
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
dental floss
heat gun
/thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#36]
They used to make us put front plates on new cars.
Imagine drilling the front bumper on a 911 gt3 or turbo or a carrera gt.
I wouldn't do it and this caused more issue then when guys pick up their cars and ask wtf is this..
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Im just curious, but is everyone that you meet an asshole?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Remember when they used to drill and rivet the dealership badges to the rear trunk.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#39]
When you buy it, they’re going to “detail” it while you’re in combat with the finance person. Tell the salesperson clearly and specifically to not put stickers on your car.

I’m curious though, was this your first time buying from a dealership?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Remember when they used to drill and rivet the dealership badges to the rear trunk.
View Quote
Tell us you didn't read any of the posts without telling us you didn't read any of the posts.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tell us you didn't read any of the posts without telling us you didn't read any of the posts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Busted
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Do they think it is advertising that is helpful. I think it is more just like them marking their territory and not once have I looked at a vehicle tag and though wow I need to go to that dealer. Same a political yard signs for me.

I went as far as to de-badge my pickup truck and take off all the badges with make, model and engine size.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Do they think it is advertising that is helpful. I think it is more just like them marking their territory and not once have I looked at a vehicle tag and though wow I need to go to that dealer. Same a political yard signs for me.

I went as far as to de-badge my pickup truck and take off all the badges with make, model and engine size.
View Quote

Emblems are cool for fun.

I have an Audi supercharged emblem and a Ford powerstroke emblem on my cooler
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#44]
West Coast dealers mostly don't put that shit on cars
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

No shit. It’s pretty damn simple to remove.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

So I am paying tens of thousands of dollars for something, and it is ok for them to slap stickers/emblems/plate covers on it that they may benefit from? Fuck all that.

The only sticker I left on my truck was from line-ex. The manager did the job at cost, so I left the sticker on. Until I pulled in my driveway and peeled it off.

The only time I considered “advertising” for someone, was when my wife’s friend got a job at a local roofing company. The owner was willing to pay anyone to wrap their car with his companies info. He paid by the size of the vehicle. She got $800 a month to wrap her suburban. It paid for the vehicle…..
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#47]
i’d go ballistic about that. unless they’re paying you monthly to advertise for them, they must make it new and if not, ping corporate.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No shit. It’s pretty damn simple to remove.
View Quote

It's more simple if they ask permission before they stick it on the car.  I they ask permission, then the people like me that would be pissed off about it are happy that they asked and gave me a chance to decline.  Some people would not object and they are happy about buying a new car and they don't care about the sticker.

Seeing that badge brought took me from the new car high to pissed off in one second.  Mostly pissed off at myself for not remembering to tell them to no stick anything on the car.

I'm perfectly fine with license place trims.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Totally agree.

But if you look around I would say the majority of people have them. It is bizarre to me.
View Quote

Vehicles are A to B people movers for most people.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
dental floss
heat gun
/thread
View Quote

I heard fishing line, but ok.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top