Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2024 3:19:32 PM EDT
So, after a year of battling pancreatic cancer my mom passed away still thinking that she would live. That thought process is why I am at the point I am with her assets and how to proceed.

The situation:

I have a signed will , but not notarized
She has two bank accounts. One in Florida and one national bank.
Cash holdings in excess of $100k
Her only asset is some jewelry and an older car that she specifically names who should get in her will and that she and I discussed.

There are three kids and she wrote out one of the kids , my sister. My mom felt that she had given my sister her share over the past 10 years , and looking at how much she gave , I would agree.

So im assuming this will go to probate and get hashed out in some way? Should I hire and attorney to sort the mess or try myself?

I do not have the death certificate yet , so just trying to formulate a plan.

And yes I pleaded with my mom for years to get an official will and she refused to do it.

thanks

Link Posted: 6/20/2024 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Probate lawyer. Now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Get that lawyer but your sister will probably be getting a cut.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You will need to contact a probate attorney that is local to your county/state as laws and procedures vary.  For instance, in Texas notarization is

In my county in Texas, only an attorney can file probate.  So we had no choice.  We found many "flat rate" attorneys who would do the entire thing for $1500-$2500.  I am assuming you are named as the executor?

If the will is not "self proved" for some reason, the court can choose to validate it.  Ours had a problem - the witnesses did not put their age, so the court had them join a zoom call and swear their age as testimony, and that was that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Was there a power of attorney?
That would help with the lack of a will
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 4:08:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpanishInquisition] [#5]
If not notarized, at least 2 witnesses to witness signature on will?
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
You will need to contact a probate attorney that is local to your county/state as laws and procedures vary.  For instance, in Texas notarization is

In my county in Texas, only an attorney can file probate.  So we had no choice.  We found many "flat rate" attorneys who would do the entire thing for $1500-$2500.  I am assuming you are named as the executor?

If the will is not "self proved" for some reason, the court can choose to validate it.  Ours had a problem - the witnesses did not put their age, so the court had them join a zoom call and swear their age as testimony, and that was that.
View Quote

Yes, I am named as Executor.

Link Posted: 6/20/2024 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HDDAWG:
View Quote

Not that I have been able to find. I spent two days going through 20 years of banking and copies of bills she had accumulated.

Link Posted: 6/20/2024 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:
If not notarized, at least 2 witnesses to witness signature on will?
View Quote

I do have that at least.

Link Posted: 6/20/2024 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Network_Daddy:
Get that lawyer but your sister will probably be getting a cut.
View Quote

99.87% likely. We had a different experience. My wife was executor, and her brother had definitely milked Mom for his 1/3 and then some already, and she said so in her signed but un-notarized will. He actually respected Moms wishes and didn't contest. She did leave him her house, but that wasn't worth a lot.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Sajer:

I do have that at least.

View Quote

No experience in Indiana, but that sounds good enough for Michigan.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

In what ways will a durable power of attorney help?  My understanding is that a durable power of attorney is only in force while the person is alive and ends with the death of the principal.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Florida requires two witnesses, a notary only counts as one.  Had to go to probate because my parents wills were notarized only so no good.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#14]
In WV it doesn't have to be notarized, just witnessed by two people who are not beneficiaries.  Assuming that your mother was a resident of Indiana when she passed, it looks like the same standard applies: https://www.lawinfo.com/resources/wills/indiana/

Link Posted: 6/20/2024 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FB41:
Probate lawyer. Now.
View Quote

Deserves to be repeated.  You don’t know what you don’t know.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, get a lawyer if it's going to be contested. I've been executor for 2 estates. It's a pain in the ass when it goes smoothly... a lot of work. Add a fight and you want a pro.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#17]
any chance the bank accounts are set up to avoid probate, for example with you or a sibling as co-owner joint tenants with right of survivorship, or "pay on death POD" beneficiaries named?  

Link Posted: 6/21/2024 8:10:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By aggiesq:
any chance the bank accounts are set up to avoid probate, for example with you or a sibling as co-owner joint tenants with right of survivorship, or "pay on death POD" beneficiaries named?  

View Quote

She had indicated that this was the direction she was thinking about , but no idea if she did. Once I have the Death certificate I can at least try this and then get the attorney.

thanks everyone
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:02:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mardoc] [#19]
When my Dad died I had a signed and notarized will.
I was the executor
I knew there would be no family problems with it, but I still hired a lawyer to maneuver all the legal estate issues. It was the best $1200 I spent.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:26:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fsjdw2] [#20]
Probate lawyer. Now.
View Quote

Notarized is a thing for a reason. Also you are clearly an interested party so it could easily be said by a sibling “my brother forged my mothers signature on the will… knowing she would be dead She can’t contest it”

Or
“mom was high on OxyContin due to pain and couldn’t tell what she was signing, she thought it was a fedex package reciept”

You are an interested party by a large margin. If you and your other sister were witnesses to mom cutting sibling 3 out of will, how does that look ;
It can easily look like sibling 1 and 2 conspired to cut siblings 3-9 out of the will. Heck, given enough money sibling 4 might “find” a will signed by mom after yours and sibling 6-7 witnesses the signing.

So yeah lawyer, do everything above board and transparent; I’d assume a probate lawyer has “estates for dummies” excel graphs already made up with pie charts for 50% of the population.

Link Posted: 6/25/2024 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

PoA ends when person dies.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 4:46:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#22]
Originally Posted By Sajer:
Yes, I am named as Executor.
View Quote

You can only be an executor if you have a valid will or it is court ordered. From what you wrote, you do not have a valid will.

You need to file an Application for Heirship (or whatever it is called in your state), the court will then appoint you Executor. In many states lack of will means assets are evenly distributed to next of kin. Sis is getting 1/3 while you do all the work.

Link Posted: 8/16/2024 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

A Power Of Attorney ceases to be valid at the time and date of death.  At least, that is what happened when my Dad died...
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I cannot speak to the probate laws in the State of Indiana but in New York State a will can be valid if duly executed by the testator in the presence of 2 disinterested witnesses (who would not take under the will).  The witnesses will have to sign an affidavit of attesting witness before the will to be admitted to probate.  Notarization is only required if a self proving witness affidavit is attached to the will.

Consult an attorney in your jurisdiction well versed in probate practice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Probate lawyer. Now.
View Quote

This, probably still have to go thru probate and a hearing, are you an only child or good relationship with siblings, etc?
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top