Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
My mom and dad did this when he retired years ago.
At first they keep their house as a home base, then sold it.
After five years he decided he could no longer handle a travel trailer.
He sold that and rented an apartment close to the gulf coast, they lived there until my dad passed away.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think a lot of people are getting tired of the financial ball and chains.  Also, as said earlier, homeownership, for most Americans, is a losing proposition once they consider miserable price appreciation, coupled with property taxes, insurance, and on-going maintenance.  

For a single person, it really makes a lot of sense.  
View Quote
I think Qweevox pretty much nailed. Half of my youtube history is stealth campers/vanabonds/Tiny homes.

I lived in my Jeep Cherokee (down by the river .gif) for 2.5 yrs in 2010-13 while on extended contract.

I never really unpacked. It is still a dedicated stealth camper. Anyways, since then, interest has grown and it is no longer homeless/stoners.

My point is that big brother cannot have you living a nomadic lifestyle. Not paying property taxes?(think of the children, and more importantly, their freaky teachers)  The TBL NEEDS a permanent address so they can kick down your door when ordered.

We are living in the golden age right now. Enjoy it soon. The slabs will soon be outlawed.

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm less than two years from retiring from the .gov at 57 and travelling the country as an itinerant firearms instructor.  This thread is HIGHLY relevant to my interests!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Wife and I will be gone for 7 weeks with our camper when I retire.  We have excellent neighbors, but even so:

1st - 2nnd weeks - BIL and wife housesit
3rd week - A long time friend & family housesit
4th week - neighbors keep an eye on it.
5th week - niece & family housesit
6th week - nephew & family housesit
7th week - neighbors keep an eye on it.

It helps that our house is on the beach.
I am retired Army.  We planned our route using Military campgrounds.  The rates for full hookups average $17 a night.  Most have free Wi-Fi.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I lived out of my pop up truck camper for 2 months. I stayed at RV parks and KOA's a few times for the shower and laundry only. I much prefer dispersed free camping to staying at campgrounds and RV parks. I would not want an RV or trailer where I was restricted to good roads or RV parks with hook ups.

It was fun living out of the camper, but I want a house as a home base, which I now have. I prefer to take one or two week camping trips and then recharge at home. It gets boring living on the road if you're not at a place where there are things to do that interest you. Also, it's tough to get enough exercise. There's always walking but that's no enough for me. Another problem is food. I have to buy food in small quantities, because I have a small fridge (65 liters) so I have to go to the store every few days.

I think a better retirement plan is to move to where housing prices are lower and then take trips. That's what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wife and I will be gone for 7 weeks with our camper when I retire.  We have excellent neighbors, but even so:

1st - 2nnd weeks - BIL and wife housesit
3rd week - A long time friend & family housesit
4th week - neighbors keep an eye on it.
5th week - niece & family housesit
6th week - nephew & family housesit
7th week - neighbors keep an eye on it.

It helps that our house is on the beach.
I am retired Army.  We planned our route using Military campgrounds.  The rates for full hookups average $17 a night.  Most have free Wi-Fi.
View Quote
Here is a list of Army Corps of Engineers Recreation.

Some have camping.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think a better retirement plan is to move to where housing prices are lower and then take trips. That's what I'm doing.
View Quote
That's not a bad idea but there are possible drawbacks.  So many neighborhoods seem to go downhill quickly these days.  It'd be a struggle to find a house in a neighborhood that you would still want to live in 20 years later.  Who knows if you will have Section 8 people living next to you?  And if you buy a house that's out far away from any neighbors then you have to worry if you are gone for months.

I guess ideally you would want to live out a ways but next door to relatives.  I don't have any relatives I could live next to so that doesn't work for me.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I think a good option for retires, is luxury condos... Keeps out the peasants like me and maintained by the HOA. Lets you travel without much worry.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think a good option for retires, is luxury condos... Keeps out the peasants like me and maintained by the HOA. Lets you travel without much worry.
View Quote
Recommending an HOA?    Oh, now you've done it!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Anybody wanting to become a mobile hermit this holiday weekend?  
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
In high rises or resort style communities, most are not that bad... Sometimes people downsizing, having someone take care of yard maintenance and major external repairs is not a bad thing. It would allow more time and freedom to do more things outside of home. A really good thing if their goal is traveling often.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In high rises or resort style communities, most are not that bad... Sometimes people downsizing, having someone take care of yard maintenance and major external repairs is not a bad thing. It would allow more time and freedom to do more things outside of home. A really good thing if their goal is traveling often.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I can see some benefits.  Wouldn't want to live in one unless it was a specific situation, though.  I wonder, could an HOA prohibit renting out to Section 8?  That would be a definite benefit!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, I can see some benefits.  Wouldn't want to live in one unless it was a specific situation, though.  I wonder, could an HOA prohibit renting out to Section 8?  That would be a definite benefit!
View Quote
Most in my downtown area would not allow that, in fact I would say none do. I know in the two buildings I been in, the HOA/Building had to approve me before the owner could rent to me and they thoroughly checked me out; more so then shitty garden style apartments do.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Wife wont let me leave.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wife wont let me leave.
View Quote
"If you see me gettin' smaller...means I'm leavin'."  
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#17]
No,shitting in a bucket doesn't fun
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wife wont let me leave.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure that can be remedied easier than you think!  
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy a Provost.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm looking into moving here sooner or later. The wife isn't digging it cause " Old People " but I'm looking forward to it. Just getting in isn't easy, they want a lifetime chunk of cash that's non refundable upfront.  At this point it's my goal to die there.
https://www.wcbay.com
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm looking into moving here sooner or later. The wife isn't digging it cause " Old People " but I'm looking forward to it. Just getting in isn't easy, they want a lifetime chunk of cash that's non refundable upfront.  At this point it's my goal to die there.
https://www.wcbay.com/filephotos/158/photogallery/items/img-03-r2.jpg
View Quote
The advertisement shows a bunch of happy old people.  I bet they didn't take pics of the ornery old farts that bitch and complain while they tell the same stories over and over each day.  

The hidden residents:

Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.wcbay.com/filephotos/158/photogallery/items/img-03-r2.jpg
The advertisement shows a bunch of happy old people.  I bet they didn't take pics of the ornery old farts that bitch and complain while they tell the same stories over and over each day.  

The hidden residents:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/W4x4TD_dE2E/maxresdefault.jpg
https://werenotsorry.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/angry-old-person.jpg
http://goodereader.com/blog/uploads/images/angry-old-man.jpg
http://c8.alamy.com/comp/B5NXXK/a-very-angry-senior-lady-holding-a-rolling-pin-and-threatening-to-B5NXXK.jpg
https://previews.123rf.com/images/leaf/leaf1010/leaf101000013/8043937-An-angry-old-man-with-his-fist-up-and-unhappy-face-Stock-Photo.jpg
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/angry-old-man-glares-at-camera-picture-id155909148?s=612x612
https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/justdance/images/0/05/Crazy-old-lady.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150604015120
Sure there are but come on I mean DEATH stalks the halls daily.  Some of them gotta be a bit dishearten.
Not everyone is sad. The joke is they got sick call Wednesday just to treat VD issues. so some of them seem pleased.
I actually know people who lived there, it's pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sure there are but come on I mean DEATH stalks the halls daily.  Some of them gotta be a bit dishearten.
Not everyone is sad. The joke is they got sick call Wednesday just to treat VD issues. so some of them seem pleased.
I actually know people who lived there, it's pretty sweet.
View Quote
So why is your wife anti-elderly? Is she in denial?  
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top