Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2016 3:38:39 PM EDT
Why do they slow down at the end and count each penny per second when you are approaching the amount you paid?

Are we not technically advanced enough to stop the pump from going over the pre paid amount, will it go over at full speed?

Some aren't so bad, but waiting on the last 30 cents to count down for 30 seconds in 14° Temps fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The motor and pump that dispense are not precise metering devices, plus you have the velocity that the fluid is traveling at.  Hard to stop that on a dime (literally).
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Its 2016, use a cc at the pump and this won't happen.  Then you don't have to hike through your 14 degree temps into the store to pay w/ loose change.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Pumps ain't exactly cutting edge technology.

I've known a few guys who will spend 30 minutes fueling up with diesel at truck stops and never pay a dime.  They flow so fast, you can get them to trickle fuel without registering on the meter.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Ending slowly results in a more precisely metered volume - resulting in the gas station dispensing an amount closer to what you paid for than if it shut off while flowing at a higher rate.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]
To prevent pressure surges when the flow cuts off.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Want to elaborate on that?  I don't follow.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

A good thought but no.  If that were the case every dispense transaction would require an expected shutoff amount - which credit cards (which don't hit the dollar limit) and post-pay cash transactions do not.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Because they're getting tired of people recreating Jerry Seinfeld's American Express commercial.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shutting off a liquid stream abruptly (such as quickly closing a valve) results in a "hammer" effect, which can cause premature wear on pipes, fittings, etc.

Remember, all the moving fluid has mass and momentum - which can be very great depending on size and length of pipe.

Maths:

Lets say you have a pipe of 3" ID 100 feet long filled with water.  That's 108 cubic feet of water which weights about 6700 pounds.

Now, imagine all that water and force was moving at 3 feet per second - and you shut it off suddenly.  Imagine a halt ton pickup truck rolling towards a brick wall at 2 mph.

ETA:  I see you already knew this but hell i'll leave it.  Didn't do maths for nothin.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Shutting off a liquid stream abruptly (such as quickly closing a valve) results in a "hammer" effect, which can cause premature wear on pipes, fittings, etc.

Remember, all the moving fluid has mass and momentum - which can be very great depending on size and length of pipe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ruined it.  I wanted to see where he was going with that.  I used to work for a centrifugal pump manufacturer
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I want to know why the electronics are so slow on gas pumps.  

Swipe card, wait 15 seconds, enter zip, wait 15 seconds, select "no i don't want a car wash", wait 15 seconds, select grade of fuel, wait 15 seconds, pump gas and replace nozzle, wait 15 seconds and finally decide if you want a receipt or not.

Its 2016 and the electronics side of the transaction is no faster than it was a decade ago.  Doesn't compute.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I've seen cutoff jean short types pick up the hose to empty that last bit of gas into their tank after the pump stops.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Its 2016, use a cc at the pump and this won't happen.  Then you don't have to hike through your 14 degree temps into the store to pay w/ loose change.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#14]
To prevent damage from the pump that a sudden halt might cause.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've seen cutoff jean short types pick up the hose to empty that last bit of gas into their tank after the pump stops.
View Quote

Which is stupid because the valve is on the nozzle.  All they're getting is whatever is left in the nozzle spout - if that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#17]
How mad do you think the typical customer wound be if they had to bring a quarter with them to pay for the extra gas that flowed out before the valve closed completely?

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do this every time to keep the gas from spilling on the vehicle, not to mention I paid for it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Which is stupid because the valve is on the nozzle.  All they're getting is whatever is left in the nozzle spout - if that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted.  Lol.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, he has a point. You're the one whining about having to wait a few extra seconds. If you paid with a cc and filled up your tank each time, think of all the time you would save and all the whining we would not have to endure. win/win
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I haven't prepaid for gas in 20 years.

And that's just because you have to wait 20 minutes in line behind toothless rednecks buying chaw and FSA feeding their kids hot cheetos
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here it's cheaper to pay cash. Like $.05 a gallon cheaper.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've known a few guys who will spend 30 minutes fueling up with diesel at truck stops and never pay a dime.  They flow so fast, you can get them to trickle fuel without registering on the meter.
View Quote

How the hell does that work?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Out here in CA (maybe other states too), there is a CC limit of $75 or $99.  My truck's 34 gal. tank hit those limits fairly often when gas was over $3
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Fellas - gas pumps are pretty closely controlled by your state's weights and measures division.

I don't deal with measurement on the fuel side.  But I do deal with measurement on the Crude oil side - building equipment that is accurate to 1/10000th of a bbl.  Measurement is complex and tightly controlled by numerous governing bodies.  Everything from ANSI to API to ITPS, etc.  These are groups that sit around and consider stuff like "Should we use the 1968 temperature scale or the 1980 temperature scale" and "What precisely IS 'one gallon.'" or "At what temperature should 'one gallon' be 'one gallon.'"

I'm sure some gas stations get away with shenanigans - but in the vast majority of cases you can be relatively certain the gas pump is dispensing "fairly."

Next time you're at the pump look around for the little sticker that shows it's been calibrated and certified by whatever body in your state handles it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

According to one of the guys who worked on the pumps station I worked several years ago that one was one of the main reasons. It is a hold over from from when pumps looked like this on the inside

or this

Since the place I worked in have the guts of the first picture inside the pump it also had to do with keeping the pumps computer/calculator properly dialed in an accurate. The faster they turn and the harder they stop the greater chance the computer/calculator would loose adjustment. Which generally worked out to the pumps basically giving away gas.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well, he has a point. You're the one whining about having to wait a few extra seconds. If you paid with a cc and filled up your tank each time, think of all the time you would save and all the whining we would not have to endure. win/win
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta be in it to pump either way.
Credit cards are for poor people.
I go in the store to buy a drink or something every time, and have to specify the amount on what pump.
And it's more of a why does something work the way it does question, not whining.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'd put VERY light pressure on the handle and it'd start dribbling fuel, but the pump wouldn't read it.  It only worked on the big rig style pumps (huge hose, nozzle, etc.).  Like I said, it might take them 30 minutes, but it worked.  Honestly, I don't even think the pumps had a digital read, I think they were analog meters.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They'd put VERY light pressure on the handle and it'd start dribbling fuel, but the pump wouldn't read it.  It only worked on the big rig style pumps (huge hose, nozzle, etc.).  Like I said, it might take them 30 minutes, but it worked.  Honestly, I don't even think the pumps had a digital read, I think they were analog meters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would depend on the type of metering device that's inside the mechanism.  I don't know what sort of metering device fuel pumps use - if it's a positive displacement meter, those wear out over time and eventually need rebuilt.  Turbine meters can be the same.  Coriolis meters will read no matter the minimum flow.

The "read out" that you're referring to is called a totalizer, and could be mechanical or digital regardless of the metering device itself.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

According to one of the guys who worked on the pumps station I worked several years ago that one was one of the main reasons. It is a hold over from from when pumps looked like this on the inside

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/Qr4AAOSwDuJWzeO1/s-l225.jpg

or this

http://www.madehow.com/images/hpm_0000_0004_0_img0087.jpg

Since the place I worked in have the guts of the first picture inside the pump it also had to do with keeping the pumps computer/calculator properly dialed in an accurate. The faster they turn and the harder they stop the greater chance the computer/calculator would loose adjustment. Which generally worked out to the pumps basically giving away gas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

or this

I don't know any pump anywhere that "slows" when I do pay at the pump.  It hammers to a stop when my tank is full.  I would assume that the majority of people pay at the pump so I would imagine it hammers to a stop many times a day.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe they hold the nozzle valve open when they do it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why do they slow down at the end and count each penny per second when you are approaching the amount you paid?

Are we not technically advanced enough to stop the pump from going over the pre paid amount, will it go over at full speed?

Some aren't so bad, but waiting on the last 30 cents to count down for 30 seconds in 14° Temps fucking sucks.
View Quote

Quit paying the Monkey in the box......CC@ the pump.....
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thievery.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't know any pump anywhere that "slows" when I do pay at the pump.  It hammers to a stop when my tank is full.  I would assume that the majority of people pay at the pump so I would imagine it hammers to a stop many times a day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

or this

You apparently did not take a good look at the pictures I posted.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

or this

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

or this

If I understand this graphic correctly the assembly directly above the pump recirculates the fluid when the nozzle valve is closed.

So - no hammer effect on the pump anyway.  And not enough fluid in a straight line to matter regardless.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Step 1:  Be a thief.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Would depend on the type of metering device that's inside the mechanism.  I don't know what sort of metering device fuel pumps use - if it's a positive displacement meter, those wear out over time and eventually need rebuilt.  Turbine meters can be the same.  Coriolis meters will read no matter the minimum flow.

The "read out" that you're referring to is called a totalizer, and could be mechanical or digital regardless of the metering device itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a "vane" meter.  As far as I know these are not allowed for custody transfer of crude oil.

I could easily see this getting worn out enough to let fluid pass by each vane without moving the mechanism.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If I understand this graphic correctly the assembly directly above the pump recirculates the fluid when the nozzle valve is closed.

So - no hammer effect on the pump anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

or this

You would be wrong. Pump being out of spec or misadjusted were and according to another guy I know who who runs a gas station is still a problem. On the older dial one above a hard stop could cause the gear to jump out of adjustment cause the price per gallon to be miscaulated. Imagine a pump dispensing 6 gallons of Premium Fuel for $3.89 when the actual price per gallon is $2.899 per gallon. Now imagine the problem at a busy station and the employees not finding out for about 10 hours.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I go in the store to buy a drink or something every time, and have to specify the amount on what pump.
And it's more of a why does something work the way it does question, not whining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You actually buy things from a convenience store, I don't think you are qualified to give any sort of financial advice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You would be wrong. Pump being out of spec or misadjusted were and according to another guy I know who who runs a gas station is still a problem. On the older dial one above a hard stop could cause the gear to jump out of adjustment cause the price per gallon to be miscaulated. Imagine a pump dispensing 6 gallons of Premium Fuel for $3.89 when the actual price per gallon is $2.899 per gallon. Now imagine the problem at a busy station and the employees not finding out for about 10 hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

or this

The "dial thing" you have in the top picture is not a pump.  It's a mechanical totalizer for a meter - the device inside the fuel dispenser that actually measures the fluid.

Your second picture includes a diagram of the motor, pump, fire safety / recirc valve, meter, etc.

Are you saying "pump" but meaning "meter?"

Regardless - if what you are talking about was a universal problem all transactions would require a ramp-down before full stop.  Which only pre-pay transactions do.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Who the fuck still prepays for gas?

Other than OP?

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I know not the problem of which you speak. I pay after I pump.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I prepay. But I don't get to pump my own gas.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#44]
easier on the pump
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Who the fuck still prepays for gas?
Other than OP?

View Quote

I do. Its $.05 a gallon cheaper.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derp
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

heh.

Around here the self car wash stalls have to set the hose wand to dribble a bit of spray to keep the hose from freezing.

If you are patient, you can wash (more of a rinse really) your car without paying the two bucks in quarters to get full power.

I use it to get the initial washing done so can start with the soap brush wand.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#48]
The reason why the fuel starts to slow down on a preset payment is because of the
two stage valve is shutting the main stage and letting the secondary stage complete

the sale.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Some are so damn slow I've almost want to stop and forfeit my lousy 25¢.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modern pumps won't drain the hoses like that anymore.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top