User Panel

Site Notices
Gladiator (Page 5 of 12)
Page / 12
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By macman37:

Cheers! There’s no wrong way to make it yours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mancow:
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
Took delivery today.

Sport S with Max Tow, cold weather package, and the deluxe screen and sound system.  Like it a lot so far!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3107_jpeg-3119311.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3109_jpeg-3119312.JPG

Have an appointment to tint the remaining windows on Wednesday, have a bullet point phone holder and a tonneau cover coming.  Also going to order a leveling kit soon.

I have some other plans but the wife is gonna make me wait a while haha.  

NICE!

Enjoy. Bulletpoint is great, I have their Rubigrid with 2 phone holders and a dashcam mount. Did the roof come lined or is it the fiberglass? I put some molle headliners in and they make a huge difference in road noise and heating/cooling. Plus they look cool.

I used black anodized 20mm aluminum X channel and mounted it to the two recessed dash mount points with standoff studs. Then used slide on hardware with aluminum camera arms to aluminum phone holders. It is all metal and infitely adjustable across the entire dash. It was all far cheaper than any kit and much higher quality.

Cheers! There’s no wrong way to make it yours.

Thanks. This was in a2010 JKU. I hope they kept those same mint points in the Gladiator.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:
My opinion...small, uncomfortable, niche.

I went with a full size truck and I love it; I'd never consider a Jeep again.
View Quote

I would miss the 36 gallon gas tank on my F150 if I traded it in on a Gladiator.

This ARFCOM, you should have both.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RCC1:
Gladiator picture thread?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/175250/IMG_7614-3115333.jpg

View Quote

The only thing I dislike about that rig, is that it's not sitting in my driveway! Beautiful Gladiator.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By drobs:

I would miss the 36 gallon gas tank on my F150 if I traded it in on a Gladiator.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Dec_2023_JPG-3119907.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Snow_24_JPG-3119908.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:
My opinion...small, uncomfortable, niche.

I went with a full size truck and I love it; I'd never consider a Jeep again.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Dec_2023_JPG-3119907.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Snow_24_JPG-3119908.JPG

In the tradition of get of get both my Gladiator holds 40 gallons.

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#5]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/175250/IMG_5963-3119929.jpg
View Quote

To be fair... it kinda has to

I don't want to know what the mileage is with that engine and tires.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

The main reason I went to the V8 was on road travel. Our JT is driven to every off road destination we go to. Multiple trips to Utah, Colorado, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Etc.

On the intial build with the 40's, One ton axles, and 5.38 gears the jeep averaged 7.5-8 mpg on the freeway and struggled to maintain 65-70 mph, 7th and 8th gear were non-existent on hills. This meant we stopped for fuel every 130-150 miles. There are some big expanses of this country were fuel became an issue.

After the hemi swap we average 12.5-13 mpg and can set the cruise on 70-75 mph and it rarely downshifts. After we went to the trailing arm suspension and the 40 gallon tank we easily go 400-550 miles on a tank which makes for offroading in the middle of nowhere much easier.

I will admit the 6.4 screaming at high RPM on hill climbs is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#7]
One thing that gets overlooked on both the Wrangler and Gladiator is how much easier they are to work on than even an f150. Go change struts on an f150…they are a wear item like tires. It is a lot easier and cheaper to change them on Wrangler.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#8]

The main reason I went to the V8 was on road travel. Our JT is driven to every off road destination we go to. Multiple trips to Utah, Colorado, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Etc.

On the intial build with the 40's, One ton axles, and 5.38 gears the jeep averaged 7.5-8 mpg on the freeway and struggled to maintain 65-70 mph, 7th and 8th gear were non-existent on hills. This meant we stopped for fuel every 130-150 miles. There are some big expanses of this country were fuel became an issue.

After the hemi swap we average 12.5-13 mpg and can set the cruise on 70-75 mph and it rarely downshifts. After we went to the trailing arm suspension and the 40 gallon tank we easily go 400-550 miles on a tank which makes for offroading in the middle of nowhere much easier.

View Quote

Yeah that makes sense.  It’s just not working hard.

Kudos to you for driving the shit out of that thing.  You’d see a lot of em like that on trailers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:28:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RCC1] [#9]

Kudos to you for driving the shit out of that thing.  You’d see a lot of em like that on trailers.
View All Quotes

18k miles since Nov 2021. It’s not driven unless it’s headed somewhere offroad.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Any of you guys in this thread with a JL/JT put seat extenders or rake changers on yet?

I'm 6'5 and my JK was really at the limits of any "comfort" with the rake/head in the soundbar & knee calf pain for taller drivers. I had a JLU as a rental car for a east coast to Chicago trip and it sucked worse than my JK (2-door).

I see a good deal more complaints for the JL-JT but also see Quadratec and others are offering seat track extenders and seat rake changers.

My daily is a 21 1500 Ram but, would also like to get a Gladiator to "do some Jeep shit and other general knock around stuff with", since I gave my JK to Son. Take a nice Sport S, throw some Rubi take off tires on. Nothing crazy but, I like the Gladiator and think it fills a nice niche  

The prices are becoming extremely attractive on them
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:42:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Triplelocked] [#11]
Originally Posted By SeanTX:

Same part numbers for the track bar between Rubicon and others. Same with sway bar end links. Mojave may be different but I’m not sure.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Banditman:

Did you get and install the Rubicon track bars to center the axle correctly?

Same part numbers for the track bar between Rubicon and others. Same with sway bar end links. Mojave may be different but I’m not sure.

I don't know if that's true.  Rubicon/Mojave/Max Tow have wider axles.  But you would want an adjustable because you didn't swap axles anyway.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rstel01:
Any of you guys in this thread with a JL/JT put seat extenders or rake changers on yet?

I'm 6'5 and my JK was really at the limits of any "comfort" with the rake/head in the soundbar & knee calf pain for taller drivers. I had a JLU as a rental car for a east coast to Chicago trip and it sucked worse than my JK (2-door).

I see a good deal more complaints for the JL-JT but also see Quadratec and others are offering seat track extenders and seat rake changers.

My daily is a 21 1500 Ram but, would also like to get a Gladiator to "do some Jeep shit and other general knock around stuff with", since I gave my JK to Son. Take a nice Sport S, throw some Rubi take off tires on. Nothing crazy but, I like the Gladiator and think it fills a nice niche  

View Quote

I have Desert Does It seat jackers. I’m 6’2”. It makes the Jeep 100% more comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I’m curious to know if anyone uses the seat jackers too.

I’m short at 5-9 but they have a 3/4” height version too.

I mean I could use a longer bolt and washers or a spacer but that seems like unfinished cheesiness.

I don’t find the seats uncomfortable but if it could be increased a bit I wouldn’t complain.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#14]

I have Desert Does It seat jackers. I’m 6’2”. It makes the Jeep 100% more comfortable.
View All Quotes

Thanks! Looks like a combination of their slammer and "short" jacker might be the ticket for my size and overall body length
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jb31:

I don't know if that's true.  Rubicon/Mojave/Max Tow have wider axles.  But you would want an adjustable because you didn't swap axles anyway.
View Quote

Parts manager helped with my install and confirmed they were the same. New axles or higher lift and they are needed for sure.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#16]
how about a jeep 392?

i love mine!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Nice Long Range Fuel Tanks out of Australia?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
how about a jeep 392?

i love mine!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/296599/unnamed_jpg-3120415.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Custom built due to the trailing arm rear suspension.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Nice, 1 more gallon than the LRA 17gal Auxiliary Tank.
https://longrangeamerica.com/product/jeep-gladiator-jt-2019-2023-17-gallon-auxiliary

That stock 22 gal Gladiator gas tank would annoy me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Parts manager helped with my install and confirmed they were the same. New axles or higher lift and they are needed for sure.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jb31:

Weird.  Liking the swap?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Did my own bedliner with a herculiner kit.  It was a huge pain in the ass, but I saved about $500…

File size too large to load.  Boo

Windows tinted.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Did my own bedliner with a herculiner kit.  It was a huge pain in the ass, but I saved about $500…

File size too large to load.  Boo

Windows tinted.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3182_jpeg-3121965.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3181_jpeg-3121966.JPG
View Quote

Gahhhhh I want my windows that damn dark! Looks great.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I asked them to just match the rear windows.

They did 20% which seems to be pretty close perhaps a touch darker.

The windshield strip is 5%.  I think it’s almost too low as to be distracting but I’ll drive it for a while before I decide to have it redone or not.

Just wish the wife would allow some wheels and tires right away
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#25]

The windshield strip is 5%.  I think it’s almost too low as to be distracting but I’ll drive it for a while before I decide to have it redone or not.

View All Quotes

It is a disease, you will spend 10k on good wheels/tires and then realize that you need a lift. A good lift with quality shocks, track bars
and HD steering links will be 4.5k. Then you realize that you cannot hit 8th gear and then will need to re-gear, but don't want to see
stock diff covers so you pay 3k for parts and labor for new gears and diff cover. That is just the beginning.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Agilt:

I really wish they had offered them with just the regular 5.7 hemi. I'd have one in the driveway
View Quote

Me too.  I'd be driving one right now instead of my Ram.  I do not like the 3.6 in a truck application.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#27]

It is a disease, you will spend 10k on good wheels/tires and then realize that you need a lift. A good lift with quality shocks, track bars
and HD steering links will be 4.5k. Then you realize that you cannot hit 8th gear and then will need to re-gear, but don't want to see
stock diff covers so you pay 3k for parts and labor for new gears and diff cover. That is just the beginning.
View Quote

Hahaha.  No.

Max tow has 4.10s so I’ll probably go with 33s or 34s.  I have a leveling kit coming.  That will be plenty for my intended use.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Hahaha.  No.

Max tow has 4.10s so I’ll probably go with 33s or 34s.  I have a leveling kit coming.  That will be plenty for my intended use.

View All Quotes

Hahaha.  No.

34s might cause hunting. My 34.8s did on my Rubicon with 4.10s.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#29]

34s might cause hunting. My 34.8s did on my Rubicon with 4.10s.
View Quote

Don’t mean wandering around in the lane a little?

It already does that now

Ive got a fleet of Super Dutys and am used to the handling characteristics of a solid front axle truck.

This thing does ride a lot smoother than the 250 I was using as a daily…
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Don’t mean wandering around in the lane a little?

It already does that now

Ive got a fleet of Super Dutys and am used to the handling characteristics of a solid front axle truck.

This thing does ride a lot smoother than the 250 I was using as a daily…
View Quote

Gear hunting is constantly shifting back and forth between two gears. Before I went to 4.88s I had to put
transmission in manual mode on some roads to stop it (7-8). Jeep really should have put 4.88s in it to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Gear hunting is constantly shifting back and forth between two gears. Before I went to 4.88s I had to put
transmission in manual mode on some roads to stop it (7-8). Jeep really should have put 4.88s in it to begin with.
View Quote

Oooh gotcha, I’m aware of the phenomenon but I didn’t realize that’s what you meant.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Rando question: I’ve had my truck for a bit over 2 years and have never run it through a car wash. Quarter car washes (or rain)… those of you with hard tops do you run them through car washes? Do you get leaks from the dryer jets?

Quick follow up, Do you remove the antenna prior so it doesn’t whack the windshield?

Quick follow up 2, if you have a soft/rollup tonneau cover do you roll it up and run it through or just leave it down and adjust it later. Mine’s dusty and could use the wash but I also don’t want to have it start flapping like a cape in a windstorm on the dry cycle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Do you drive 400 miles to the lake every weekend to fish?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Get one with the 392.  They are gone in 2025.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Bilymac:
View Quote

A Gladiator?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:12:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#36]
Rando question: I’ve had my truck for a bit over 2 years and have never run it through a car wash. Quarter car washes (or rain)… those of you with hard tops do you run them through car washes? Do you get leaks from the dryer jets?

Quick follow up, Do you remove the antenna prior so it doesn’t whack the windshield?

Quick follow up 2, if you have a soft/rollup tonneau cover do you roll it up and run it through or just leave it down and adjust it later. Mine’s dusty and could use the wash but I also don’t want to have it start flapping like a cape in a windstorm on the dry cycle.
View Quote

I can “kinda” answer.

My bed liner is still curing so a wash is out of the question, but my buddy has a 2020 Sport S with a hard top and he said aside from an occasional drip, he’s not had any leaks in car washes.

I would not pull the antenna.  That thing whipping around is a distraction, so I’m going to buy a stubby one.  I listen to Sirius, or my phone anyways.

I had a roll up tonneau cover on my F150 for a decade and I never rolled it up at all, including going through  the wash.  It should be taut enough that nothing bad will happen with the blow dryer other than it vibrates up and down a little.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#37]

I can “kinda” answer.

My bed liner is still curing so a wash is out of the question, but my buddy has a 2020 Sport S with a hard top and he said aside from an occasional drip, he’s not had any leaks in car washes.

I would not pull the antenna.  That thing whipping around is a distraction, so I’m going to buy a stubby one.  I listen to Sirius, or my phone anyways.

I had a roll up tonneau cover on my F150 for a decade and I never rolled it up at all, including going through  the wash.  It should be taut enough that nothing bad will happen with the blow dryer other than it vibrates up and down a little.

View All Quotes

I can “kinda” answer.

Thanks! I just need to suck it up and do it!
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Thanks! I just need to suck it up and do it!
View Quote

Just try it once.  Worst that can happen is more water gets in than you want, but if the seals are in decent shape, not likely to happen.  If it does, you don’t have to go through it again.

(I recommend the touchless wash, spinning brushes are hell on your paint)
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Bilymac:
View Quote

No gladiators come with 392's.
Diesel was the only other option.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#40]
And then there’s this guy
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Tonneau cover and phone mount installed.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:25:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Found some take-off Rubicon rock rails on bookface, got em for $60 with OEM hardware which I consider a steal as they retail for over $500….  Covers that dumb pinch weld and will protect the bottom of the truck.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#43]
How bad are the halogen headlights? My wife has a Wrangler with the LED's and they are pretty good (compared to my truck with halogens). I'm thinking about getting a Gladiator, I've found some Rubicons for a good price but they have the halogen headlights.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Took delivery today.

Sport S with Max Tow, cold weather package, and the deluxe screen and sound system.  Like it a lot so far!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3107_jpeg-3119311.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3109_jpeg-3119312.JPG

Have an appointment to tint the remaining windows on Wednesday, have a bullet point phone holder and a tonneau cover coming.  Also going to order a leveling kit soon.

I have some other plans but the wife is gonna make me wait a while haha.  

View Quote

NICE DUDE! Congrats on the new rig.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By purple85gt:
How bad are the halogen headlights? My wife has a Wrangler with the LED's and they are pretty good (compared to my truck with halogens). I'm thinking about getting a Gladiator, I've found some Rubicons for a good price but they have the halogen headlights.
View Quote

They are alright, but you can swap to LED but you have to either have the dealer reprogram it or buy a tazer and
you can easily reprogram it yourself
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Found some take-off Rubicon rock rails on bookface, got em for $60 with OEM hardware which I consider a steal as they retail for over $500….  Covers that dumb pinch weld and will protect the bottom of the truck.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3260_jpeg-3123958.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3259_jpeg-3123960.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3261_jpeg-3123962.JPG
View Quote

Until this last JT I typically bought base model Jeeps and started with take-off parts because I enjoy scavenger hunting and meeting up with other Jeep people. There is a massive community of affable and helpful people that you gain access to immediately after purchasing your Jeep. A lot of fun to be had there, the wave thing might seem corny to some but it's a real club you are a part of now. Enjoy it, Jeep ownership is like no other imo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By purple85gt:
View Quote

Halogens are state of the art 90s technology. My Mojave has them; they’re passably OK ‘til I jump back into the wife’s Cherokee Trailhawk with the HID lamps. It’s like I can see the future with those.

That is honestly the biggest criticism I have of my truck. For the price it should have come with factory LEDs. I have some Sylvania SilverStars (IIRC) that I’ve heard are an upgrade that I have yet to install (maybe this summer), but I don’t care to mess with aftermarket LEDs. I see too many distracting pulsating LED headlights on the road as it is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#48]
The halogens are not horrible, but they are far from good.

Are they safe to use at night sure.  But they’re halogens and not really good ones at that.

I wouldn’t let the headlights dissuade you from buying.  You can retrofit OEM Jeep LEDs and the aftermarket has really good options(example, Diode Dynamics).
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Doing some PPF on the sill plates and some stick on kick plates for all 4 doors.

These are Mopar parts so they fit great and look good too.  

I am also doing PPF on the fronts of the door hinges.  

More will be done later, but I have to wait for my friend to get back from vacation so he can plot me some stuff.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Doing some PPF on the sill plates and some stick on kick plates for all 4 doors.

These are Mopar parts so they fit great and look good too.  

I am also doing PPF on the fronts of the door hinges.  

More will be done later, but I have to wait for my friend to get back from vacation so he can plot me some stuff.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3275_jpeg-3124250.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_3276_jpeg-3124253.JPG
View Quote

I got the same ones!
Page / 12
Gladiator (Page 5 of 12)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top