BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait until industrial equipment/factory automation starts breaking and spares have a 6-12 month lead time. It's coming.
View Quote
It sure is.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Some dick in China broke the world.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wait until industrial equipment/factory automation starts breaking and spares have a 6-12 month lead time. It's coming.
View Quote

Can confirm. I am an Instrument & Controls Tech. When I run out of stuff to cannibalize in the bone yard to keep things going, it’s going to get real.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Xiden could suspend all that EPA shit concerning trucks if he cared. I gonna go out on a limb and guess he does not give a shit.
View Quote

Wouldn't help much anyway.  It's only a matter of time before it's tires, or gaskets, or fuel tank lids, or...  virtually any critical part.  And it won't be limited to trucks.  Eventually (if it's not happening already) planes will be grounded, trains will be pulled off the lines... killing supply lines is a great way to destroy an economy.

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Frozen stuff, like say, Hungry Man  or Stouffers frozen food, does not go directly from Stouffers to a store, or even from Swanson to a Wal-Mart grocery DC or 7-11/Quicktrip  et al DC. It goes from the mfr to a place like National Cold Storage, and then from there to a Walmart DC, and then to the individual stores as needed from the DC. Or to an independent DC where it goes in a panel van to the individual stores, such a Dollar General that only has a dozen frozen pizzas at the most at one time, because that's all the freezer/cooler space they have. Many things like a DiGiorno's pizza, for instance are vendor delivered in panel trucks, the retailer doesn't do anything but ring 'em up and order more as needed and sometimes not even the latter; A DiGiorno's guy comes by every so often in a panel van reefer, checks their stock, and refills the freezer/cooler stock as needed to the retailers requested stock level. Soda Pop and bread is another, the Walmart employees don't touch any of that. It's a vendor stock item. Also milk and 90% of the dairy, even the store brand milk.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Isn't there some huge underground dc out in the Midwest? How would an autonomous truck work underground?!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing almost everyone that believes that has never driven general freight, or anything else OTR-long haul, and thinks all shipping and receiving occurs at large modern and state of the art DC's and industrial plants with umpteen employees, and has no idea how much of their daily shit comes from small shippers in diverse and remote locations all over BFE. But what do I know?

I cannot even estimate how many pickups I did at places with two or three dock doors and a muddy rutted up lot that was only paved for the length of a truck&trailer in front of the doors, way out in the boonies. Not niche stuff, either, stuff that is on the shelf at Costco and Wal-mart nationwide. Robot trucking will require either only megacorp shippers than can afford to set their DC, and only receivers that can do the same. $tree, for example, which I ran dedicated for a couple years, is a driver unload account. Three store deliveries a run, and it's just boxes of assorted shit all jumbled in the dry van, and they put Stop! stickers on the first row of the 2nd and 3rd stores. You will need a Data or Terminator type AI to do that, or $tree will have to totally redesign their logistic paradigm. That's just one example that most people are familiar with. It's not even the tip of the iceberg.

Isn't there some huge underground dc out in the Midwest? How would an autonomous truck work underground?!
Not overly complicated to have the DC mapped to the truck's computer, the vehicle will have to have object detection & be able to recognize signs (some vehicles recognize speed limit signs already).  Once it knows what the DC 'looks' like and can place itself inside vis the signage or markings then it can function just fine.  Get cell repeaters and it will be able to receive instructions or have good WiFi in the DC.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I want to see an autonomous truck navigate through a construction zone while pulling a trailer.
View Quote

It is never going to happen.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not overly complicated to have the DC mapped to the truck's computer, the vehicle will have to have object detection & be able to recognize signs (some vehicles recognize speed limit signs already).  Once it knows what the DC 'looks' like and can place itself inside vis the signage or markings then it can function just fine.  Get cell repeaters and it will be able to receive instructions or have good WiFi in the DC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing almost everyone that believes that has never driven general freight, or anything else OTR-long haul, and thinks all shipping and receiving occurs at large modern and state of the art DC's and industrial plants with umpteen employees, and has no idea how much of their daily shit comes from small shippers in diverse and remote locations all over BFE. But what do I know?

I cannot even estimate how many pickups I did at places with two or three dock doors and a muddy rutted up lot that was only paved for the length of a truck&trailer in front of the doors, way out in the boonies. Not niche stuff, either, stuff that is on the shelf at Costco and Wal-mart nationwide. Robot trucking will require either only megacorp shippers than can afford to set their DC, and only receivers that can do the same. $tree, for example, which I ran dedicated for a couple years, is a driver unload account. Three store deliveries a run, and it's just boxes of assorted shit all jumbled in the dry van, and they put Stop! stickers on the first row of the 2nd and 3rd stores. You will need a Data or Terminator type AI to do that, or $tree will have to totally redesign their logistic paradigm. That's just one example that most people are familiar with. It's not even the tip of the iceberg.

Well, you've never been in the nitty gritty trucking scene, that's clear.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its already here.  I'm getting quoted 32+ weeks on PLC components that used to be on the shelf.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wait?....happening now. My Power Plant starts our fall outage in a week, we have planned this for months, we are cancelling some of our work already because the parts we ordered months ago will not be here in time. A lot of routine work keeps getting postponed due to long lead times for simple items, we are talking about valves, pump parts and the like, nothing exotic or one off type of parts. These are the types of things any similar plant has.

Going to be an interesting winter.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Did you gloss over the part where I mentioned those underground cold storage places are different every time because they also make concrete and construction aggregates, so they are constantly changing? Like this week there's a half dozen building size piles of gravel for a road project you have to avoid, and next month there's other piles of some other shit somewhere else in the way and a new dock door, and sometimes heavy equipment parked in random places for some project or other and the 37 other variables that are random and and unpredictable due to demand and order fluctuation? That's very common everywhere. It's not even as homogeneous as containerized port logistics on 20 and 40' TEU's which we already can't do reliably NOW, apparently, and we already are set up to do that efficiently by and large
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#13]
With the current computer chip shortage how are all these self driving trucks gonna be built? Look at the new vehicle situation now. It will be years before this is fixed. And as much as I would like to have all manufacturing here in good ole USA. Who is going to do it? Hell the truck stop here closes the restaurant at 8 at night because the can find help. We are truly screwed. Local grocery stores have put in more self checkouts because why. You guessed it. Can't find workers. Until the worker problem is solved this is the new normal. Never going back to the world we used to live in.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#14]
It seems 'not that hard' when you are sitting at a desk, imagining it on paper, and I agree it is a totally simple concept. But I guarandamnedtee you it's not that simple to execute in the real actual world. It's not a videogame reality.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did you gloss over the part where I mentioned those underground cold storage places are different every time because they also make concrete and construction aggregates, so they are constantly changing? Like this week there's a half dozen building size piles of gravel for a road project you have to avoid, and next month there's other piles of some other shit somewhere else in the way and a new dock door, and sometimes heavy equipment parked in random places for some project or other and the 37 other variables that are random and and unpredictable due to demand and order fluctuation? That's very common everywhere. It's not even as homogeneous as containerized port logistics on 20 and 40' TEU's which we already can't do reliably NOW, apparently, and we already are set up to do that efficiently by and large
View Quote

I’ve never run OTR, but have hauled tractor equipment and construction supplies in Southern California. The mtn grades and all the other crazy freeway/LA city driving. There is no way in hell I see an autonomous/human less truck hauling 80k of stuff on the grapevine, hwy 18 or 330 in various weather. No way. No how.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#16]
It's like saying "We'll just have the Rangers climb the cliffs and take Point du Hoc first!" which is a very simple idea on paper. Not that hard, right?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's been here.

Rule of thumb:  if the media is reporting it as a recent event then it started 6 months ago, minimum.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I’ve never run OTR, but have hauled tractor equipment and construction supplies in Southern California. The mtn grades and all the other crazy freeway/LA city driving. There is no way in hell I see an autonomous/human less truck hauling 80k of stuff on the grapevine, hwy 18 or 330 in various weather. No way. No how.
View Quote

My observations from an outsider looking in on the trucking / automated trucking future.  Obviously there are lots of areas the first gen trucks would have to avoid, like you mentioned and others have mentioned about underground storage areas.  Someone else mentioned truckers not wanting to do OTR and live out of their trucks as much anymore.

Why wouldn't they setup a few large parking areas for trailers at strategic points in the country and use the automated trucks to move them on the longer distance trips from coast to coast?  They pick up in one big parking lot in CA and deliver to another big parking lot in FL.  A local, actual driver, would be responsible for the short parts of the trip on each end which would be the most complicated for an autonomous truck to navigate.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If it requires computer boards, there's no telling how long it will take...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait until industrial equipment starts breaking and spares have a 6-12 month lead time. It's coming.

Allf of which can be repaired by small local shops if we had the right culture of repair and fix it yourself.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wouldn't help much anyway.  It's only a matter of time before it's tires, or gaskets, or fuel tank lids, or...  virtually any critical part.  And it won't be limited to trucks.  Eventually (if it's not happening already) planes will be grounded, trains will be pulled off the lines... killing supply lines is a great way to destroy an economy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Xiden could suspend all that EPA shit concerning trucks if he cared. I gonna go out on a limb and guess he does not give a shit.

A lot of the effort going into keeping all the bullshit emmissions components could sure make a lot of gaskets and bearings.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Allf of which can be repaired by small local shops if we had the right culture of repair and fix it yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait until industrial equipment starts breaking and spares have a 6-12 month lead time. It's coming.

Virtually none of the components are made here. They're sitting on ships loitering off the coast of California. I know how to repair my own vehicle but it means nothing of I cannot obtain the parts to do so.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Could any of this have to do with the government giving away free money and people being wasteful with it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Times are about to get real tough.

———

https://abc7.com/covid-supply-chain-shortage-2021-port-of-los-angeles-shopping/11141130/

Now, grocery stores are again dealing with empty shelves. Pet food, diapers, frozen dinners, spices and chicken are some of the items local grocery stores are listing as being in short supply.

The lack of truck drivers working right now, because so many of them either lost work or retired during the pandemic, means it's taking a lot longer for goods to reach their destination.

"The problem is truck drivers are older, and if you look at the number of truck drivers in their 50s and early 60s, it's a very large number... You don't have a lot of young people wanting to go and drive trucks," Husing said.
View Quote
Yeah. Me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Virtually none of the components are made here. They're sitting on ships loitering off the coast of California. I know how to repair my own vehicle but it means nothing of I cannot obtain the parts to do so.
View Quote

Yep....my truck sat at the shop for 5 weeks waiting on parts to rebuild the rear diff.  It got to the point the owner said if I could find the parts and bring them in, he'd be fine with it....I couldn't get them any faster than he could.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Going to be difficult building autonomous trucks with no chips.
View Quote
Look at this guy!   Bringing reality into the argument!
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My observations from an outsider looking in on the trucking / automated trucking future.  Obviously there are lots of areas the first gen trucks would have to avoid, like you mentioned and others have mentioned about underground storage areas.  Someone else mentioned truckers not wanting to do OTR and live out of their trucks as much anymore.

Why wouldn't they setup a few large parking areas for trailers at strategic points in the country and use the automated trucks to move them on the longer distance trips from coast to coast?  They pick up in one big parking lot in CA and deliver to another big parking lot in FL.  A local, actual driver, would be responsible for the short parts of the trip on each end which would be the most complicated for an autonomous truck to navigate.
View Quote

This makes sense. Like a port where a harbor captain gets behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand but alternators can be rebuilt with new brass bushings made on a small homejobber lathe, the voltage regulators need new caps and relays ect. Its all doable. A lot of car repair is now replace with new and forget about it when it never had to be this way, now we go back to making our own o rings with leather punches and sheets of rubber and cleaning mineral deposits off of thermostats so they dont stick anymore.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep....my truck sat at the shop for 5 weeks waiting on parts to rebuild the rear diff.  It got to the point the owner said if I could find the parts and bring them in, he'd be fine with it....I couldn't get them any faster than he could.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rears are a little different to my scenario, what happened to an entire generation of machinists?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Must be a store remodel.  Or the freezer went out.  Or they're resetting for Christmas.  Or those damned dirty hoarders!

Get ready--it's going to happen slowly at first, then all at once.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If only the existing truckers would stop delivering to the large democrat cities.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-96.gif
Aren't all cities Democrat?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I want to see an autonomous truck navigate through a construction zone while pulling a trailer.
View Quote

Sometimes you need to drive well into the opposing lane of traffic to get your trailer to clear. I can see that as a difficulty for automated trucks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They are a LOT closer than you think.

I also see that not long after they start "running"  routes, that, autonomous passenger vehicles (cars, vans, and buses) will be right behind them.

I give all this about 10-12 years tops.

THAT is when you will see societal changes never imagined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much anybody who could retire last year did so. Training schools were closed through the scamdemic so there aren't many new drivers in the pipeline. I'm in my 40's which makes me one of the "young guys" where I work part time. They keep trying to lure me into full time but I'm not interested.

The trucking industry is going to have to adapt because nobody wants to live in a truck anymore. I only do local and that's all I'll ever do.

But robot trucks are just around the corner! ARFcom's futurists told me this with confidence.

I also see that not long after they start "running"  routes, that, autonomous passenger vehicles (cars, vans, and buses) will be right behind them.

But today we need a solution today. 10-12 years we will have all starved to death.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That already happens at many large urban centers, like EnnJay, for example. But there aren't these large parking lots and local drivers in the vast majority of the country, nor is it practical. Sure it could be done, obviously; it's not a huge complicated problem in concept. But it's not happening, practically, without a total revamp of the way stuff get's places like small town and four corners malls. So the solution is going to be, just like all of this shit is aiming for, is everyone in concentrated tower blocks with assigned housing and bussing the workers on public transport to their farm jobs or whatever. That sound like a good trade for the joy of automated trucking? No more single family home with a yard and a few acres; everybody in apartments downtown, living a gray Soviet-style existence and sharing common areas like kitchens and so on? Because that's not what just will be necessary, it is what they are trying for. 'They' can be anyone you like whether it's megacorp cronies that don't want competing peons or .gov elites. Just read the daily headlines, they aren't even pretending otherwise now. It's not some wild conspiracy theory, either, they are literally saying it in so many words multiple times a day in innumerable venues. You just don't want to believe they are being honest about their stated intentions, just like the people that thought Hitler didn't really mean all that radical crap he was saying to get the masses excited.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Must be a store remodel.  Or the freezer went out.  Or they're resetting for Christmas.  Or those damned dirty hoarders!

Get ready--it's going to happen slowly at first, then all at once.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87826/111493F5-F88F-49B0-B3B5-6BEF21BDD401-2134206.jpg

View Quote

That cat's expression!

He seems to be saying:

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Rears are a little different to my scenario, what happened to an entire generation of machinists?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand your point and in principal don't disagree....in reality it's not as easy / cheap.  Take the example of my rear diff, there is a machine shop in my town and it's possible they could have cut me new gears.  What are the odds they had the right cutters & tooling for my specific setup?  Likely pretty low.  What are the odds that they could have purchased the cutters & tooling, had them delivered and made the parts faster than 5 weeks?  Again probably pretty low.  What are the odds they could do all that for anywhere close to the price I ended up paying?  Probably not even close.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That already happens at many large urban centers, like EnnJay, for example. But there aren't these large parking lots and local drivers in the vast majority of the country, nor is it practical. Sure it could be done, obviously; it's not a huge complicated problem in concept. But it's not happening, practically, without a total revamp of the way stuff get's places like small town and four corners malls. So the solution is going to be, just like all of this shit is aiming for, is everyone in concentrated tower blocks with assigned housing and bussing the workers on public transport to their farm jobs or whatever. That sound like a good trade for the joy of automated trucking? No more single family home with a yard and a few acres; everybody in apartments downtown, living a gray Soviet-style existence and sharing common areas like kitchens and so on? Because that's not what just will be necessary, it is what they are trying for. 'They' can be anyone you like whether it's megacorp cronies that don't want competing peons or .gov elites. Just read the daily headlines, they aren't even pretending otherwise now. It's not some wild conspiracy theory, either, they are literally saying it in so many words multiple times a day in innumerable venues. You just don't want to believe they are being honest, just like the people that thought Hitler didn't really mean all that radical crap he was saying to get the masses excited.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That already happens at many large urban centers, like EnnJay, for example. But there aren't these large parking lots and local drivers in the vast majority of the country, nor is it practical. Sure it could be done, obviously; it's not a huge complicated problem in concept. But it's not happening, practically, without a total revamp of the way stuff get's places like small town and four corners malls. So the solution is going to be, just like all of this shit is aiming for, is everyone in concentrated tower blocks with assigned housing and bussing the workers on public transport to their farm jobs or whatever. That sound like a good trade for the joy of automated trucking? No more single family home with a yard and a few acres; everybody in apartments downtown, living a gray Soviet-style existence and sharing common areas like kitchens and so on? Because that's not what just will be necessary, it is what they are trying for. 'They' can be anyone you like whether it's megacorp cronies that don't want competing peons or .gov elites. Just read the daily headlines, they aren't even pretending otherwise now. It's not some wild conspiracy theory, either, they are literally saying it in so many words multiple times a day in innumerable venues. You just don't want to believe they are being honest, just like the people that thought Hitler didn't really mean all that radical crap he was saying to get the masses excited.

So you think it would be easier to revamp & redesign a large portion of the population, build all those building and rebuild their entire way of life than it would be to build 20 big parking lots in strategic locations around the country?  

I don't drive a truck but I know business, so I'm assuming when you get a job to pull a trailer, your told where to pick it up and where to drop it off?  What I proposed would simply be changing those addresses and having a shorter trip from the manufacturer to the CA parking lot, an automated truck pick it up and drop it off at a FL parking lot, a local FL driver picks it up from the parking lot and does the delivery to the final address.

This idea would solve the problem of automated trucks doing the first and last mile pick up & delivery, which is arguably the hardest to automate.  It would also solve the problem of less drivers wanting to do OTR trucking and let them stay close to home, instead of pulling one trailer for 5 days, they might pull 5 trailers in 1 day...depending on the location.

I don't how any of what's been talked about effects deliveries to residential properties, which you brought up, since most of those are not handled by OTR truckers today anyway.

Sure it would require changes in how things are done today, but that happens everyday in every business.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I understand your point and in principal don't disagree....in reality it's not as easy / cheap.  Take the example of my rear diff, there is a machine shop in my town and it's possible they could have cut me new gears.  What are the odds they had the right cutters & tooling for my specific setup?  Likely pretty low.  What are the odds that they could have purchased the cutters & tooling, had them delivered and made the parts faster than 5 weeks?  Again probably pretty low.  What are the odds they could do all that for anywhere close to the price I ended up paying?  Probably not even close.
View Quote

This is another good point. And even if they had the tooling, where will they get the raw metal stock to cut the gears for that low quantity order? Because it's probably not available from a local source. Like an infinite regress of every task requires completing another task first, and that prerequisite task requires another task, in a semi-infinite regress. Because it hasn't been that way for a hundred years, and so the paradigm does not exist anymore. It did once, but we chucked all that long ago, and the necessary requirements to start over no longer exist.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#39]
There is no shortage. It's been created by the left. Stand back subject. And welcome to socialism.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So you think it would be easier to revamp & redesign a large portion of the population, build all those building and rebuild their entire way of life than it would be to build 20 big parking lots in strategic locations around the country?  

I don't drive a truck but I know business, so I'm assuming when you get a job to pull a trailer, your told where to pick it up and where to drop it off?  What I proposed would simply be changing those addresses and having a shorter trip from the manufacturer to the CA parking lot, an automated truck pick it up and drop it off at a FL parking lot, a local FL driver picks it up from the parking lot and does the delivery to the final address.

This idea would solve the problem of automated trucks doing the first and last mile pick up & delivery, which is arguably the hardest to automate.  It would also solve the problem of less drivers wanting to do OTR trucking and let them stay close to home, instead of pulling one trailer for 5 days, they might pull 5 trailers in 1 day...depending on the location.

I don't how any of what's been talked about effects deliveries to residential properties, which you brought up, since most of those are not handled by OTR truckers today anyway.

Sure it would require changes in how things are done today, but that happens everyday in every business.
View Quote

I did not mention residential, I said local retailers, and retailers does have many of the same letters as residential, so I understand your confusion. Both words even start with the same letter.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#41]
This whole thing showed that the real damage of bioweapons doesn’t have dick to do with their lethality rate.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#42]
And I don't think the ease is very high on their priority list, because ushering the new utopian omelette is going to need some broken eggs. All victories have a cost, Professor Legasov.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I did not mention residential, I said local retailers, and retailers does have many of the same letters as residential, so I understand your confusion. Both words even start with the same letter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You didn't say residential....I agree.  I said residential as an abbreviated way to address this part of what you wrote:

So the solution is going to be, just like all of this shit is aiming for, is everyone in concentrated tower blocks with assigned housing and bussing the workers on public transport to their farm jobs or whatever. That sound like a good trade for the joy of automated trucking? No more single family home with a yard and a few acres; everybody in apartments downtown, living a gray Soviet-style existence and sharing common areas like kitchens and so on?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You didn't say residential....I agree.  I said residential as an abbreviated way to address this part of what you wrote:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the solution is going to be, just like all of this shit is aiming for, is everyone in concentrated tower blocks with assigned housing and bussing the workers on public transport to their farm jobs or whatever. That sound like a good trade for the joy of automated trucking? No more single family home with a yard and a few acres; everybody in apartments downtown, living a gray Soviet-style existence and sharing common areas like kitchens and so on?

Fair enough. However, big trucks would do deliveries to residential housing in the block apartment scenario, because they would all be concentrated in their apartment buildings and taking volume deliveries instead of being scattered all over dispersed areas and living where they want, would they not? Don't even need a supermarket, because Wal-mart can put a neighborhood market type place right there in the building to serve the residents. No need to go shop anywhere else, because there's no need for that. You get your entertainment, and food from a provided source on the bottom floor of the tower, or within easy walking distance, and you get bussed to your assigned job. Sounds crazy, but they did it for 70 years exactly like that in the former eastern bloc and USSR.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

In before the 3 sea shells.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Been having difficulty getting decent red and white vinegar and olive oil. HF shelves are going bare as well. But of course it's a china mart.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't worry. According to the WH and Secretary of Do-Nothing (transportation), all this hubabub about supply chain and shortages is due to how immensely successful the potatus has been!
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't worry. According to the WH and Secretary of Do-Nothing (transportation), all this hubabub about supply chain and shortages is due to how immensely successful the potatus has been!
View Quote

Pretending to lactate is a seriously hard job. It's not 'do-nothing'. Priorities, man!
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm surprised that the so called pres hasn't just mandated that all supply problems are fixed. And TaDa all is good
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fair enough. However, big trucks would do deliveries to residential housing in the block apartment scenario, because they would all be concentrated in their apartment buildings and taking volume deliveries instead of being scattered all over dispersed areas and living where they want, would they not? Don't even need a supermarket, because Wal-mart can put a neighborhood market type place right there in the building to serve the residents. No need to go shop anywhere else, because there's no need for that. You get your entertainment, and food from a provided source on the bottom floor of the tower, or within easy walking distance, and you get bussed to your assigned job. Sounds crazy, but they did it for 70 years exactly like that in the former eastern bloc and USSR.
View Quote

I get what your saying....your just taking the analogy further than I did.  My response was limited to the problem of limited OTR truckers and automated trucks not being able to deal with the first / last mile intricacies.

I don't know what the right answer is and I seriously doubt anyone's going to call and ask my opinion anyway.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top