BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Venison. I did a roast at work with the Insta-pot, and a few ladies loved it until they found out it was Bambi.

Oh well
View Quote
This!  My sister in law a confirmed non hunter & who REALLY disliked guns, raved about our chicken fried steak meal, until one of the kids let her know it was deer steak!  LOL  not much she could say then.  By that time, she had been eating it for 5+ years by then.  Thankfully, she moved back out of the city & came to her sense regarding hunting.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
After numerous compliments on the "yellowfin sashimi", I told them it was little tunny.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Not me but my future BIL.

My future wife was and is a huge animal lover (nothing like that you sicko's).  She helped raise a calf named Norman until it was full grown.  One day Norman was gone and she was distraught.

During a steak supper some weeks later while she is chewing on a steak dinner my future BIL looks at her and pipes up " Dad, this is some really good Norman isn't it?" It took a while to register but she left the meal in tears.

She isn't a vegan or anything but if I tease her about Norman while eating beef, I still get a very dirty look.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
One of the biggest mistakes I made in my life was telling my gf that wine had calories in it.  She thought that alcohol is a clear liquid, water is a clear liquid, water has no calories, therefore alcohol has no calories.  Before that, she would have a glass or two of wine with dinner, and was, shall be say a great deal of fun.  Afterwards, not so much.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Her:  Yum, what's is this?
Me: Venison, 5 hour slow cooked roast after brazing in beer.
Her: I hate you.
Me:  Bye.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing good, but it's always fun to tell people mahi mahi is actually dolphin.  They usually choke for a bit before you say no the fish not  the mammal.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife's dad used to tell her all kinds of weird shit to tease her about food. Pork chops were giraffe neck etc. As a kid she trusted nothing they cooked.

When I met her she had barely tried anything. no Chinese, no Mexican, maybe 10 or so dishes and that's it.
Until two years ago she never ate seafood and she's 51.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep I love feeding people mountain ousters then telling them what their made of.... I thought my daughter was going to hurl...

I love feeding my sister's deer meat...
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a snack bowl of beaver jerry sitting out for Christmas today.  Some were not thrilled when I told them what it was.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Never did it to someone but someone did to me.  Years ago before I was married I lived alone, one of my Dominican neighbor brought me Mondongo when I was sick. I’m sitting there halfway done with my soup when he tells me the main ingredient is tripe.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was at a party in college and an Indian guy who was a vegetarian and pounding Jell-O shots.

I was like, dude, do you know what's in that?

And he was I think it's tequila.

No, do you know what's in jello?

View Quote
I've ruined Jello for a few people. Discussing how cheese is made can make you unpopular at parties too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We used to tell our kids that Venison was 'Roast Beast', and that roasted rabbit was chicken
View Quote
My parents tried to trick me into eating liver once by telling me it was steak. The color, taste and texture were all wrong so I quickly spit out the first partially chewed bite when I figured out something was wrong.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Had a friend eat some spring rolls turned out he hated mint and threw up.

Thinking about it I wonder what he bushes his teeth with.
View Quote
I use the baking soda and peroxide type toothpastes. I hate the overpowering mint flavor first thing in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Everybody loves my fried alligator... until I tell them it's alligator.
View Quote
I will eat the hell out of gator meat.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#16]
When we were kids my grandmother (full Polish) use to make polish sausage for us and I once asked her what was in it, the real stuff not the smoked crap Hormel sells. My brothers were big eaters, I would wait until they were about done with their first helping and then tell them what was in it, there was always plenty for me to eat when I did that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#17]
My "Wildlife Reunion" chili was named that for a reason.  If someone grabs a bowlful, they have to know what they are getting into.  :)
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Andouille, and Boudin sausage.

Told a friend who bought some "You want to kook that thoroughly, it's natural casing". He thought that meant "small intestine" with those sausages.
It doesn't
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Mmm mountain oysters.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:33:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a guy visit from Colombia for a business deal and took him out to a Pacific Northwest style restaurant that served raw oysters.  He was really excited to try them, since they cost like $8 a pop in Colombia.  He loved them and ate about 6.

I then remarked, "yeah, and the interesting part is that they are actually still alive".

He didn't eat any more.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#22]
The gringo special from the mexican roach coach.

Sesos

Chicharones

Not the fried kind!

boiled.

Link Posted: 12/25/2017 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wife is still bitter 3 years after I informed her Caesar dressing has anchovies in it.
View Quote
Yep. Every time it was after they ate and enjoyed Venison.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#24]
One year I made venison Kielbasa.  At dinner my little sister was telling me that she would never eat deer meat.   I spoiled it for her.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#25]
When my wife and I got married I found a awesome deal on veal, literally cheaper than beef because it was a friends calfs and he had to call his stock.

Wife still wants to hit me when she sees a baby cow, and calls me a asshole for not telling her it was veal chilli and steak.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I've always had a hard time respecting people who don't like something for irrational reasons. I think it's childish and stupid.

If you liked it before you knew what it was, then guess what? You still like it!
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Bought some chorizo once.  Took it home and looked at the label:  "lymph nodes".

I couldn't do it, had to throw it away.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've always had a hard time respecting people who don't like something for irrational reasons. I think it's childish and stupid.

If you liked it before you knew what it was, then guess what? You still like it!
View Quote
I don't know about not respecting them, I just think they're silly and easily swayed...which, yeah okay maybe you're kinda right.

I've been on the other side of people attempting this to me many, many times. In college I had a half-Vietnamese roommate whose mom taught him all of the "this makes roundeyes gag" recipes, in HS one of my best friends was Indian and his mom would do the whole "curry threshhold/gross out" test on all his white boy friends; I've dated Lebanese, Korean, Norwegian, Swedish, Welsh, Colombian, South African and Amish (seriously, look at my location) chicks to name a few from cultures with questionable (to American tastes) cuisines/ingredient lists and never had a problem with anything they cooked for me even after they said,"Did you know you just ate (whatever)..." Because the way I see it if it's good it's good and knowing it was "gross" after the fact isn't going to change the fact: That it was good. Also I have always been into trying new food so am pretty up on what those things are, so if someone offers me something I've never had before 90% of the time I already know what's in it and they're not really going to be able to "trick" me after the fact.

Also because I'm half Scottish (a nation whose entire cuisine is based on drunken dares) and half Sicilian (a people who literally use every part of every animal they consume to the point they make Scots look reasonable in some regards) I was basically bred to be able to eat anything on the planet without being grossed out. In fact, there's basically only one thing I'll never, ever eat and that's Yemeni sausages, because I know how they're traditionally made already and I don't want to fucking die so I'd never accept one in the first place to flip-flop on how I thought it tasted afterwards.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#29]
If you guys ever go to the PI, the Soup Number 5 is on me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#30]
A coworker of mine was about to eat a bowl of canned soup for lunch...I told her it’s full of salt....after a few spoonfuls she looked at me, and said it tastes like salt...you ruined my lunch.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gator is good eats.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A coworker of mine was about to eat a bowl of canned soup for lunch...I told her it’s full of salt....after a few spoonfuls she looked at me, and said it tastes like salt...you ruined my lunch.
View Quote
You don't even need to be a Jedi to use the mind trick on a mind that weak.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I dont get weird aversions to certain foods unless it will kill you.

To me.  If i taste something and its good ill continue to eat it.

Just doesn't compute
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had a snack bowl of beaver jerry sitting out for Christmas today.  Some were not thrilled when I told them what it was.
View Quote
You are my kinda people!

Cant tell you hiw many times uve made bbq pulled pork with coon and fed it to my MIL.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well, sorta.

I had a calf butchered that unknown to me at the time, my daughter claimed as a pet.

That was a little awkward for a while.
View Quote
My granddad fed my little brother and I fried chicken one night. It was good, but I knew it wasn't chicken. After we kept pressing him, he told us it was the rabbits from his hutch out back. We just assumed he raised them because he liked rabbits. I learned not to treat his animals like pets anymore.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#36]
The yearly Christmas dinner at Boeing years ago on the International Space Station, 4755 building, 4th floor, the ECLSS group.  I brought in chili in a crock pot.

One of our teammates was semi-Muslim or whatever and didn't eat pork.  Had some of my chili and thanked me for bringing it, he really liked it.  I told him thanks in return, glad he liked the wild hog I made it out of .

He went back and got a 2nd helping.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Flaczki = Tripe soup
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My granddad fed my little brother and I fried chicken one night. It was good, but I knew it wasn't chicken. After we kept pressing him, he told us it was the rabbits from his hutch out back. We just assumed he raised them because he liked rabbits. I learned not to treat his animals like pets anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, sorta.

I had a calf butchered that unknown to me at the time, my daughter claimed as a pet.

That was a little awkward for a while.
Thats why I didn't even consider her attachment to that calf. She knew better.

She works here and at the neighbors farm. She takes care of chickens, rabbits, pigs, cattle, goats, and several other critters that are all food. That happened several years ago though. Now it's sorta funny when it gets brought up.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Gator is good eats.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gator is good eats.
Yep. Fried, blackened, or in a sauce piquante.

A lot of Cajun food gets ruined for people that ask what is in it. Just enjoy it and don't ask any questions.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#40]
yup  jello is made from boiled animal bones and hides.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes... I told a vegetarian what Jello was made of while she was eating it...
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
yup  jello is made from boiled animal bones and hides.
View Quote
This one along with color from red velvet cake comes from crushed bugs.

Link
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wife is still bitter 3 years after I informed her Caesar dressing has anchovies in it.
View Quote
This was the example I was going to reply with as well...
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Yep. Filipino food.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Not long after we married, my wife's brother and cousin dropped by for a visit. I'd just made some deer burger helper. They said they were hungry, so I told them to help themselves.

They didn't know it was deer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#46]
One of my customers who is a cattle farmer went off on a rant about hot dogs one day. I must admit his description was more rude and graphic that I thought possible.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread is giving me the damndest craving for either menudo or souse.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes.

I once told a vegetarian girl who was eating Altoids they contain beef gelatin.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This one along with color from red velvet cake comes from crushed bugs.

Link
View Quote
I hate you now.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I hate you now.
View Quote
Uh oh, I have news for you... do not look up candy shellac.

Page / 3
Top Top