User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

the training switches for babies. first they were saying one on the front one on the back. last time I think they said they don't recommend it at all. just cpr methods for toddlers.

View Quote

AED use on infants is still advised IF no trained rescuer is available with a manual defib unit.

There are adult pads, and ped pads. The ped pads use lower energy, but you can use adult pads on infant+ in emergency. If the victim is too small to get separation between the two pads across their chest, put one on chest, one on back.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've gotten the AED function on a LP15 to shock by waving the pads (stuck to each other) enough to simulate VF.
There was a loud bang, some smoke, and a bright flash. I don't recommend anyone repeat my little experiment.
Edit: loud, not long
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I see females do quality compressions, and I see big guys do shitty ones. I stand by my statement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I train mostly strong healthy men in a physical industry and for the first time trained an office intern last week.  Awesome young lady and a high school and collegiate wrestler so physically fit but I doubt she weighed 115.  No matter how hard she tried she struggled to get proper depth.  Had to get her weight perfectly centered over the dummy's chest and it still was barely enough to drive the clicker down all the way to the click.  

I see females do quality compressions, and I see big guys do shitty ones. I stand by my statement.

No argument that technique matters most.  Just a commentary that small people have to have perfect technique whereas a 180 pound strong man can be a little sloppy and still get it done.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've gotten the AED function on a LP15 to shock by waving the pads (stuck to each other) enough to simulate VF.

There was a loud bang, some smoke, and a bright flash. I don't recommend anyone repeat my little experiment.

Edit: loud, not long
View Quote
You used to be able to do that more easily...rub the pads a bit, looks like fine v-fib.  At least the dinosaurs used to say in their stories.  My guy's ICD kept pinging at the top of the complex and throwing off the AED.  Eventually devolved to v-fib, my asshole medic intercepted us and focused on intubating the esophagus for 15 minutes instead of manually defbing the guy or starting an IV, even though BLS airway was working.  Total shit show, I hate that fat fucking sack of shit and would run him over with my car if I ever saw him waddling in a crosswalk.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@FrankSymptoms look up the bicameral mind theory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@FrankSymptoms look up the bicameral mind theory.

Bicameral mentality is a hypothesis in psychology and neuroscience which argues that the human mind once operated in a state in which cognitive functions were divided between one part of the brain which appears to be "speaking", and a second part which listens and obeys—a bicameral mind, and that the evolutionary breakdown of this division gave rise to consciousness in humans.

Interesting! I'll pursue this further. Thanks!

The weird thing was that the voice was just as real as could be-  I thought it was my brother speaking. It sounded like it came from just behind me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I've done cpr 4 times I think.  The first time I was alone with a family member freaking out next to me and it was a large man.  Our ems was busy so it took about 20 minutes for another ambulance to get there.   It was a long time to do cpr.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
As someone else said, the hardest part for someone not on a monitor is realizing that life saving measures need to be initiated. CPR sucks but it works. Global rates of ROSC have increased and it directly related to bystander knowledge....but AED is still delivering the best chance statistically for ROSC.

I don't understand why the kids learn about the number "i" or playing the recorder...but kids don't learn BLS, taxes, or about saving for retirement.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What machine is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sat through a CPR/AED refresher yesterday and no one in the room, myself included, had ever given CPR or used an AED in an actual time of need.  While that's good, it got me wondering how well the training prepares one for the actual event.

I know we have a lot of first responders, what's yalls take?  What is the training lacking?  If your buddy is really dying will I really ask for a pocket mask, or is that for strangers only?

The machine will break ribs. They're kinda a last resort.

What machine is that?

I guess that's what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Watching a Lucas work on a patient is pretty cool.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never seen this demonstrated.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Who the hell would have guessed the Thumper would make a comeback??  What's next MAST pants? FROPVD?  The Two-Man stretcher?  EMS boxes made by Plano?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GPPLR_3aBE
View Quote

BVMs are great if used correctly. They are practically a manual ventilator on a wide swath of patients. Doesn't work great in all cases. It's important to note if you're using it on a smaller patient that their lungs don't need and can't handle full "breaths".
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GPPLR_3aBE
View Quote

For the layman, I'd just use a pocket mask.  A BVM can be tricky if you don't practice with them, especially if you're trying to use it in one rescuer CPR.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

For the layman, I'd just use a pocket mask.  A BVM can be tricky if you don't practice with them, especially if you're trying to use it in one rescuer CPR.
View Quote

Yes. It takes anesthesia residents months to learn a proper grip and masking, pressure, etc. Unexperienced people often use too large of breaths, too frequent breaths, and do not lift the jaw adequately. All of this increases the risk of aspiration on a patient already considered a full stomach. Then again, using a mask is difficult as well.

I'm not saying breaths are not important, but circulation is key. We reguarly do CPR in the OR and it changes your "vigor" when you see how poor your compressions are when watching an arterial line waveform.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Any of ya'll old fuckers remember the precordial thump? I saw it work once but he ended up ART
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any of ya'll old fuckers remember the precordial thump? I saw it work once but he ended up ART
View Quote

I've never seen it work but I've seen it tried and I've tried it myself.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

My mom was an ICU nurse, and she once saw a patient starting to go into a bad rhythm. She thumped the guy and managed to cardiovert him.  She said it only worked because she caught it right as it started.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the hard punch  prior to compressions? I heard it went out with the Vietnam war.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had an intern do it once when I brought in a patient already in arrest - he yelled "CODE" and punched my patient - everyone just stopped and looked at him like "WTF" for a second, and then went about doing real medicine.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had an intern do it once when I brought in a patient already in arrest - he yelled "CODE" and punched my patient - everyone just stopped and looked at him like "WTF" for a second, and then went about doing real medicine.
View Quote

That was real medicine back in the day
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is that the hard punch  prior to compressions? I heard it went out with the Vietnam war.
View Quote

It was taught when I took BLS in the 90s. I've also used Mast trousers so....
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 1:44:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first day as a new emt I got tasked with removing the mast pants of all the trucks.  

Memories.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 2:29:42 AM EDT
[#23]
We were doing our annual CPR cert and they had training AED's. You took them out of the case and stuck them on the dummy and it made all the sounds and stuff but it didn't charge or send a zap. These particular ones talked in various selectable languages. Unfortunately, one had gotten stuck and would only talk in Polish! We didn't use that one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 2:35:22 AM EDT
[#24]
The AED is easy. The chest hair you have to shave off (so much hair) during chest compressions is a bit of a pain. The dip of snuff that blocked his airway was the icing on the cake.

He didn't make it, but he would have died if already cut open on the OR table.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 2:41:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were they still using sand bags as head stabilizers on the longboard back then too?
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 3:11:48 AM EDT
[#26]
0 for 6 in the last 12 months. I haven't done the AED part of a code yet.  Usually I am down at the legs getting an IO for meds and fluid resuscitation.  Gotten ROSC twice the first time we got it and he brady'd down so we paced him and lost pulses in the ambulance pressed start on the lucas and worked it again the rest of the way (45 min) to the hospital pulled him out and the Doc pronounced in the bay the crappy part of his call was that he had a DNR but the wife was POA and wanted everything done.   The second person we got ROSC on my QA manager told me the patient got discharged 4 days later 3 hours later told me the discharge note was unsigned and there was a signed death note.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Were they still using sand bags as head stabilizers on the longboard back then too?
View Quote

No we used the plastic coated foam blocks that velcro on. We did have sandbags for flail segments tho
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top