BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is a guy going this or next summer. He’s the guy who owns the really cool weird looking sub built by a professional sub company. It’s been deeper than the Titanic is, so no sweat.

Eta: Connor, 2026, and they are building a new one for this trip. Triton submarines, who actually know how to build a submarine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking of starting a thread about this. But Cameron is famously an enormous asshole.

Focusing on the technical details though. It was an interesting story. Evidentely The Navy knew they were all dead from the SOSUS Network and the Coast Guard didn't bother asking them when they launched the rescue effort.

Cameron also plans to go back to the Titanic someday to make a point that it can be visited, but not by the stupid and reckless.

Theres probably a lot of people who want Stockton Rush's estate or someone to cover the cost of that rescue operation. Good luck with that.

There is a guy going this or next summer. He’s the guy who owns the really cool weird looking sub built by a professional sub company. It’s been deeper than the Titanic is, so no sweat.

Eta: Connor, 2026, and they are building a new one for this trip. Triton submarines, who actually know how to build a submarine.

Building The Limiting Factor (Tested to 45,000 Feet - Dove all 7 Ocean Deeps)

About 45 million in older dollars, built about the same time, 4" thick Titanium crew sphere tested in former Cold War Russian pressure facility (only lab on Earth tests those pressures), plus support ship Pressure Drop:  

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I’m thinking the composite hull was an un fathomable mistake to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who would have thought that a DEI sub piloted with a $20 video game controller would have failed on a voyage to the Titantic...

I’m thinking the composite hull was an un fathomable mistake to begin with.

Supposedly a structures consultant to Ocean Gate advised using a thicker cross section for the composite, but they went thinner because "reasons". Perhaps composites can work, but the reliable stress tolerances are probably very small. Composites seem to be all or nothing, with a small failure margin at the limit compared to uniform material designs.

Stockton Rush was trying way too hard to be the maverick, & it caught up & took others out with him. Stupid & reckless. Too bad he didn't do a solo test run. Would've been less tragic.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't get me wrong. I have the up most resect for the US Coast Guard and its personal, but they were placed in a position where the only thing they could say that would be true is, there is nothing we can do to save them.

They just do not have the capability, it's not what they do. Even the Navy would be very hard pressed to conduct a rescue at that depth in time. They might as well have crashed on the moon.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 1:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Great piece, thanks for posting.

I think it'd be interesting to see some investigating authority have it rebuilt and then test it.  Like do an actual analysis of the failure.  Won't happen, but it would be fascinating to see.

For the record, I'd dive the wreck with Cameron or Ballard in a heartbeat.  I have absolutely no fear at all of it, and trust the technology completely when they're involved.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 1:32:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:Stockton Rush was trying way too hard to be the maverick, & it caught up & took others out with him. Stupid & reckless. Too bad he didn't do a solo test run. Would've been less tragic.
View Quote

They had 200 dives w/ 3 subs, including 13 to the Titanic with only 1 hull loss.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 1:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]

it's a meme, but it's deadly, seriously accurate.  DEI has, and will, get people killed.  You might hate 50 year old white hair white guys, but they get that white hair learning stuff.

we can't mistake sex/gender/pronouns for experience. It has to stop.  hopes and dreams and pronouns don't keep people alive at depth, or at altitude, or at speed.  It's ridiculous
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 1:38:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They had 200 dives w/ 3 subs, including 13 to the Titanic with only 1 hull loss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Stockton Rush was trying way too hard to be the maverick, & it caught up & took others out with him. Stupid & reckless. Too bad he didn't do a solo test run. Would've been less tragic.

Then how did it suddenly, catastrophically fail at the worst possible moment? It begs investigation of the testing protocol. Perhaps an insufficient analysis of the structure, post test run(s). Something was either missed or ignored. Getting it so spectacularly wrong means it was done wrong.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Then how did it suddenly, catastrophically fail at the worst possible moment? It begs investigation of the testing protocol. Perhaps an insufficient analysis of the structure, post test run(s). Something was either missed or ignored. Getting it so spectacularly wrong means it was done wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too many cycles on the design. It fatigued to the point of failure is my speculation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 3:31:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The only shocking part of that sub imploding is that it didn't happen on its first trip down.
View Quote

It did, sort of. This was their 2nd try of that design because the first one they took down to test in the bahamas started coming apart. Thats when he fired the actual engineer because he told stockton what he didn't want to hear. So they wound up a 2nd cylinder under stocktons watch- this one

This stockton rush guy was apparently such a narcissist he got rid of anyone who wouldn't kiss his ass so thats why he was left with a bunch of kids that didn't know shit

The DEI thing and younger people is bullshit - he did that because he couldn't pay for a real team of experience, lots of his team were barely paid shit and promised lives of adventure by a delusional narcissistic conman

The sub could do dives but what it couldn't do was many repeated dives- he also didn't have the money to really do the 2nd sub when the first one started coming apart. Corners were cut in many ways- he was booking trips well in advance just so he could pay for the design and pay off debts

1st off they couldn't even afford a real ship with a crane so they had the sub towed on a platform the entire time

It was only like 5 yrs prior the guy was booking trips to dive the puget sound in a real sub they bought for research
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 3:45:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who would have thought that a DEI sub piloted with a $20 video game controller would have failed on a voyage to the Titantic...
View Quote

TPNI
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I forgot about the owners far left woke ideology and hiring procedures and the Nintendo controller was the icing on the cake

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Has there been any updates on the status of the recovered debris?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Way off subject….

I knew a guy that got drafted in 1971.  We were in  reception station at Ft Knox, KY, he raised enough cane about having 3 testicles that he got a medical discharge or medical exemption or whatever, and went home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
James Cameron can lick on a three testicled scrotum.

Way off subject….

I knew a guy that got drafted in 1971.  We were in  reception station at Ft Knox, KY, he raised enough cane about having 3 testicles that he got a medical discharge or medical exemption or whatever, and went home.

Beavis and Butthead Testies 1,2,3?!
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
for the TLDW crowd?
View Quote

Sometimes shit happens, when you go down, deep.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#15]
OST for after work.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was thinking of starting a thread about this. But Cameron is famously an enormous asshole.

Focusing on the technical details though. It was an interesting story. Evidentely The Navy knew they were all dead from the SOSUS Network and the Coast Guard didn't bother asking them when they launched the rescue effort.

Cameron also plans to go back to the Titanic someday to make a point that it can be visited, but not by the stupid and reckless.

Theres probably a lot of people who want Stockton Rush's estate or someone to cover the cost of that rescue operation. Good luck with that.

View Quote
The navy hears all.

They can classify humpbacks by their farts from 1k miles away.

I called that back in the thread we made when it happened.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#17]
The idea of carbon fiber holding out pressure is like saying you can push a rope.

Fiber is great for holding in pressure - tensile strength.  There is no tensile strength in compression.  I mean, holy crap, what in the hell did that guy think the carbon fiber was going to offer in those conditions?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And under what authority?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The submarine was uncertified. What were they supposed to do? Park a Coast Guard cutter in the harbor mouth and tell them, "if you idiots try to leave we are going to blow a hole in all your boats!?"

And under what authority?

I dont know but the US navy boards all sorts of ships to seize weapons on the regular so i would think they have a very broad authority to do what ever the fuck they want. The US gov just doesnt care if some rando rich dudes turn into fish food, just as long as its small scale.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I disagree.

While I would never choose to bungee jump, base jump with a wing suit, climb Mount Everest or ski in avalanche country...I think people should be free to risk their life as they see fit. While some government regulation is necessary to prevent tragedies that could affect large numbers of folks who don't tacitly assume the risk (fire codes, FAA regulations), I don't think we need regulation to protect a handful of willing thrill seekers.
View Quote

I do think there should be a moose at the front gate telling people who take extraordinary risks that no one will be coming to save them when the inevitable occurs.

No reason for divers or helicopter crews to put themselves in harms way when your sub sinks or you can’t quite make the last 500’ to the top of the mountain.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm going to hell for this one.

https://i.imgur.com/ccDpaxN.jpg
View Quote

Savage
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sometimes 1 is enough
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#22]
At 11:12 the guy answers "absolutely" but clearly shakes his head "no", when asked "did you truly believe this was a rescue mission?".

100% tell for lying.

I wonder how much taxpayer money he got for all this.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#24]
call me cynical, but the weird obsession with titanic is weird.  big boat went onto water.  it sunk. ok amazing who could have expected that....

did you know ghislane maxwell was a submariner???!  

interesting anecdotes.  

so, are all elite pedophiles into submarining, or just these 2?  

same with jack parsons and aleistar crawley, lron hubbard.   seems weird.   could just be that everyones a pervert?  but if thats true, then noone is, and thats not true either.

its just weird..
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#25]
This is a much better and informative video than that overproduced 60 Minutes fluff

Sub Expert Tells TheTruth About Ocean Titan Submarine
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rush was a cocksucking asshole sucking his own farts who was bound and determined to scam people out of their money while risking their lives.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#27]
"Crushed," next on 60 Minutes.

Juice cocktail blend. Mmmmmm

Gross.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In the big thread about this I said that if one were to go to a bunch of Hollywood producers with this story as a script before it all went down. You would have probably been laughed out of the building.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the big thread about this I said that if one were to go to a bunch of Hollywood producers with this story as a script before it all went down. You would have probably been laughed out of the building.

Someone absolutely SHOULD make a movie about this, and especially include how they didn't want the sub designed by some "50yo uninspiring white guy".

But it's Hollywood, so they'd probably make the designer a 50yo white guy alcoholic and have a heroic black trans-lesbian disabled midget trying to stop him from killing people.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
call me cynical, but the weird obsession with titanic is weird.  big boat went onto water.  it sunk. ok amazing who could have expected that....

did you know ghislane maxwell was a submariner???!  

interesting anecdotes.  

so, are all elite pedophiles into submarining, or just these 2?  

same with jack parsons and aleistar crawley, lron hubbard.   seems weird.   could just be that everyones a pervert?  but if thats true, then noone is, and thats not true either.

its just weird..
View Quote
It's all a conspiracy. You're the only one not in on it  but somehow you've figured it out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Someone absolutely SHOULD make a movie about this, and especially include how they didn't want the sub designed by some "50yo uninspiring white guy".

But it's Hollywood, so they'd probably make the designer a 50yo white guy alcoholic and have a heroic black trans-lesbian disabled midget trying to stop him from killing people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for season one I suppose.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

There needs to be an investigation. It's an evil patriarchy plot, obviously, to make DEI look bad.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Rush was a cocksucking asshole sucking his own farts who was bound and determined to scam people out of their money while risking their lives.
View Quote

No wonder Trump gave him the Medal of Freedom, right comrade?!
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Additionally, that Coastie is bullshitting, too.

The implosion of even that small sub was an incredible release of energy. I have seen some calculations of the pressure on the hull and the cumulative stored energy that was behind held until the instant of failure. All that energy tried to seek/create equilibrium instantly.  The amount of energy was similar to a very large bomb going off.

The Coastie saying that "we can call them lost until we are sure" was entirely CYA public relations bullshit. He even admits the implosion detection was supposedly "classified" so they couldn't say anything about it (but the mysterious ultra quiet tapping WAS able to be talked about....hmmmmm), so the CG also knew right away that this was nothing but recovery at best.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No wonder Trump gave him the Medal of Freedom, right comrade?!
View Quote

He was a scamming scumbag that was told by experts that his shit was dangerous and would be lethal.

Political shit has nothing to do with this, Trump has nothing to do with this.

Plenty of charlatans have gotten rewards and awards prior to their exposure as frauds and hucksters. In this instance, he killed others, but died himself.

If you actually care, watch the video I posted above. The sub was already failing after the first deep dive.

There is a reason composites have been tried for subs and abandoned by multiple governments.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I see no big mystery.  Shit penny pinching design that failed.  

Elaborate pretend rescue because 99.9% of the population is stupid and has no concept of the forces involved at that depth.  Simply would not have belived "there's no point, they were incinerated instantly".  

I remember some journalist asking about retrieval of the remains...
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Way off subject….

View Quote

I fail to see how 3 testicles affects ones ability to absorb bullets...
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, this is all I need to know. Darwin wins again.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Additionally, that Coastie is bullshitting, too.

The implosion of even that small sub was an incredible release of energy. I have seen some calculations of the pressure on the hull and the cumulative stored energy that was behind held until the instant of failure. All that energy tried to seek/create equilibrium instantly.  The amount of energy was similar to a very large bomb going off.

The Coastie saying that "we can call them lost until we are sure" was entirely CYA public relations bullshit. He even admits the implosion detection was supposedly "classified" so they couldn't say anything about it (but the mysterious ultra quiet tapping WAS able to be talked about....hmmmmm), so the CG also knew right away that this was nothing but recovery at best.
View Quote
So for the classified stuff it gets squirrelly. If they say "our classified system detected it" they admitted they have a system they can't/shouldn't admit to because it is classified and then you've got a baseline for how sensitive it actually is. So they had to tapdance around it a bit with the media hoopla until they could get some actual evidence to show that says "yeah it got squished".

SOSUS was really sensitive and that was old as shit and declassified in 1991. It helped locate where Thresher went down in the 1960s. The newer stuff has to be even more impressive.

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Great piece, thanks for posting.

I think it'd be interesting to see some investigating authority have it rebuilt and then test it.  Like do an actual analysis of the failure.  Won't happen, but it would be fascinating to see.

For the record, I'd dive the wreck with Cameron or Ballard in a heartbeat.  I have absolutely no fear at all of it, and trust the technology completely when they're involved.
View Quote

While I hate mentioning Cameron in the same sentence as Ballard, I agree with the sentiment.

Neither would try to "maverick" the deep sea.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair.  That was probably the smartest part of his cheap ass design.  Probably to dangerous to put a hole in the CF tube to pass control wires.  Solution, go wireless.  Doubt anyone makes industrial wireless controls like that, and if they did it would be outside cheapy pants budget.

The controller was the least of their problems...
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I forgot about the owners far left woke ideology and hiring procedures and the Nintendo controller was the icing on the cake

View Quote

PC controller. Logitech G710, I believe. Definitely Logitech and I _think_ it was the wireless version. (G710)

Probably one of the safer decisions, honestly. I don't think these were the sort of guys you wanted designing fly-by-wire controls.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

PC controller. Logitech G710, I believe. Definitely Logitech and I _think_ it was the wireless version. (G710)

Probably one of the safer decisions, honestly. I don't think these were the sort of guys you wanted designing fly-by-wire controls.
View Quote

Not to mention a video game controller has to be able to withstand thousands of hours of use and abuse.  Actually not a bad call considering.  Wireless gives me pause but again drilling a hole in the tube was probably a much worse option.  I'm 99% sure there was a second backup controller.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not to mention a video game controller has to be able to withstand thousands of hours of use and abuse.  Actually not a bad call considering.  Wireless gives me pause but again drilling a hole in the tube was probably a much worse option.  I'm 99% sure there was a second backup controller.
View Quote

I seem to recall they could control it from the main computer. Through a touchscreen, I believe.

I know the gamepad wasn't the only means of control.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter if he's the king of the arseholes, James Cameron has been down to the Titanic 33 times, the dude knows his stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't matter if he's the king of the arseholes, James Cameron has been down to the Titanic 33 times, the dude knows his stuff.

As far as I know, Cameron isn't an engineer, so I take his technical assessments with the expectation that someone told him that information, not that he knows it firsthand.  At least he's smart enough to hire actual engineers in the naval architecture field to do his design work.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#48]
I don't see why this is such a dramatic story. History is full of pioneers taking risks to explore. So the idiot built a sub with Flex Seal and a PS2 controller, and charged people a ton of money to take a dive.

Of course there's all sorts of fuckery, regarding the story. Who really cares, other than the family of the dumbos that decided to take the dive in that can?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Imagine if one of the coast guard patrol planes crashed during the search.  A crew killed and plane destroyed "searching" for something that they knew couldn't be located by an airplane.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I see no big mystery.  Shit penny pinching design that failed.  

Elaborate pretend rescue because 99.9% of the population is stupid and has no concept of the forces involved at that depth.  Simply would not have belived "there's no point, they were incinerated instantly".  

I remember some journalist asking about retrieval of the remains...
View Quote

Wasn’t there something big politically going on that this was supposed to distract us from?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top