User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Serious question. Could an ICBM intercept an asteroid to divert its trajectory?
View Quote

Even if you had a delivery vehicle a nuke in space might be more flash then bang.  No air to transfer shock wave.  Mostly just heat and radiation.  Perhaps if the nuke detonated on contact you might get enough push from it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In interstellar terms. Are we in a period of high occurrence in reference to these objects?
View Quote
I seriously doubt it.  

But in historical terms, we are at our highest point yet of being aware of these objects passing near us.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wave Motion Gun
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We're damn close to the tech needed to reliably deflect a cosmic impactor. Just as long as we have the detection infrastructure in place.
View Quote
Which we don't.

I don't know if many of you have noticed, but many of these types of reports say something like "We just detected an object that passed inside the moon's orbit yesterday"

Many of these objects are first seen shortly AFTER their near approach.

So, if any of those had been impacts, everyone's first notice would be the sudden fireball and shockwave.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Please hit DC, but only in Minecraft
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They need to stop using these close approaches as news filled, at least if it's outside the Moon's orbit...

People aren't good at dealing with signal-to-noise ratios and they'll be all burned out when an actual dangerous one is coming near.
View Quote

It's how scientists shake loose the money tree.  OMG we are all going to die if we don't research XYZ!
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
yeah, fuck all that @ the "hope one hits!" folks.

I like my readily available food, clean water, hot shower, and soft warm bed in somewhat reasonable security.

Anyone who tries to say otherwise is lying.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
yeah, fuck all that @ the "hope one hits!" folks.

I like my readily available food, clean water, hot shower, and soft warm bed in somewhat reasonable security.

Anyone who tries to say otherwise is lying.
View Quote

Notice how nobody has said "I hope we have another plague" in the last 25 months or so?

Same deal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Notice how nobody has said "I hope we have another plague" in the last 25 months or so?

Same deal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Marco Inaros is asshoe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn outtabeltas!!!!

Marco Inaros is asshoe.

Oyedeng, Inaros!
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Animation_of_99942_Apophis_orbit_around_Earth.gif

Yikes. That'll be a clenched cheeks moment for sure. What's to say some other object out there won't perturb its orbit and send it all the more closer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep. now that's some scary shit.
wiki: The closest known approach of Apophis occurs at April 13, 2029 21:46 UT, when Apophis will pass Earth closer than geosynchronous communication satellites

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Animation_of_99942_Apophis_orbit_around_Earth.gif

Yikes. That'll be a clenched cheeks moment for sure. What's to say some other object out there won't perturb its orbit and send it all the more closer?

I can see it now..

Some non-Egghead: Good numbers, Frank. That's going to be a squeaker for sure. Looks like a good miss.
Frank: Well...yeah. But the margin for error this far out is +-20K.
Some non-Egghead:Huh? No matter. I'll just pass on the miss. Besides, I'll be retired by then so it will be someone else's baby!

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They need to stop using these close approaches as news filled, at least if it's outside the Moon's orbit...

People aren't good at dealing with signal-to-noise ratios and they'll be all burned out when an actual dangerous one is coming near.
View Quote

We'll never hear that an actual dangerous one is coming near until its just hours away. If ever. For the people running the show, it would be counterproductive to let the masses get riled up and cause mass chaos over something they can't control.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The only interstellar object I know of was Oumuamua.
View Quote

That was an interesting one...
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

could also nudge a small one into a trajectory to obliterate a troublesome dictatorrival superpower
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Hopefully by the time the big one hits I'll be in a beautiful bubble Martian city having a nice drink with my new pal Elon Musk.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think I caught those references...

Lets just call it 70%...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read it will hit in the Pacific somewere 300-500 miles off of California. It will wipe out most of the coastal cities.

Quoted:
It depends on if the asteroid can be mined for precious materials.
I think I caught those references...

Lets just call it 70%...

Personally, I'm going to just pray for cool clothes, watches, and apartments. I don't want to see those things go away.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Plasma bugs heard xiden cancelled T$'s space force and decided to get it on and launch another asteroid towards Beunos Aires. Hopefully the documentary about this will have higher quality tits in it than the original one did
View Quote

I, for one, would like to know more?
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Serious response...I would think that if we had enough time to do this, we could send up a craft that could effectively act as a tugboat and simply push the thing off its course.  Get some craft flying along side it...dock with it...then thrust it to the side. Can't be impossible.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Phil Collins - I Missed Again [Audio HQ] HD
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It would be hilarious if it missed Earth and took out the moon.
There's no carbon credit high enough to unfuck the climate change THAT would cause.
View Quote

Honestly- that would be every bit as catastrophic to life on earth. Potentially more so actually, because earth has recovered from massive impacts but it’s the moon that gives us tides and helps stabilize our rotation so if it was gone there’d be no recovering from that loss
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

wiki: The closest known approach of Apophis occurs at April 13, 2029 21:46 UT, when Apophis will pass Earth closer than geosynchronous communication satellites
View Quote
What would happen on earth if something that size hit the moon?
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I am surprised that our elites have not blasted off in their personal ark ships to save themselves already.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some who believe the moon itself is the result of a super-massive impact that split it off from the earth
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I amuses me how these things have been whizzing by since mankind stood on two legs, yet now we're supposed to tremble and gnash our teeth every time one...misses.
View Quote

Fear is a money maker for certain types of people.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#29]
So, the risk is similar to an elephant being missed by a grain of sand by 2000 miles. Got it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Has it passed?!?!?

Can I come out of my bunker now??
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Serious response...I would think that if we had enough time to do this, we could send up a craft that could effectively act as a tugboat and simply push the thing off its course.  Get some craft flying along side it...dock with it...then thrust it to the side. Can't be impossible.
View Quote

Far from impossible. We'll be able to do it within the next few decades.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Still had a lot of cabovers and 2 stroke detroit diesels when that was made.  I remember watching it when it came out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I take it that it missed us
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Even if you had a delivery vehicle a nuke in space might be more flash then bang.  No air to transfer shock wave.  Mostly just heat and radiation.  Perhaps if the nuke detonated on contact you might get enough push from it.
View Quote

Could you make a giant shaped charge to hopefully fracture the rock?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

could also nudge a small one into a trajectory to obliterate a troublesome dictatorrival superpower

Well if you could give it a nudge undetected, you'd have plausible deniability.   Like china denies they did anything.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Honestly- that would be every bit as catastrophic to life on earth. Potentially more so actually, because earth has recovered from massive impacts but it’s the moon that gives us tides and helps stabilize our rotation so if it was gone there’d be no recovering from that loss
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be hilarious if it missed Earth and took out the moon.
There's no carbon credit high enough to unfuck the climate change THAT would cause.

Not to mention sending Moon Base Alpha careening out into space
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top