Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

NC Dam Failure Imminent! (Page 6 of 6)
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Evidently Cleetus flew his new helo up to Ashville to try and help out. Sam's family is still in the area.

https://www.instagram.com/p/DAet0yHM0ZO/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.instagram.com/p/DAe10JfgHBn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
Evidently Cleetus flew his new helo up to Ashville to try and help out. Sam's family is still in the area.

https://www.instagram.com/p/DAet0yHM0ZO/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.instagram.com/p/DAe10JfgHBn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
View Quote

The guys a goofball but he takes flying seriously, I read Greg Biffle has his help up there helping too
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Posting for awareness. From solid source on Twitter.

A STATEMENT ON THE FLOODING SITUATION IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA & SURROUNDING AREA:

I finally had to log off and get some sleep last night, but I didn't stop thinking about the #Helene damage in western North Carolina (WNC), where I grew up. I have some thoughts on this historic storm this morning.

I believe that Helene has created a unique logistics and infrastructure nightmare there which will last weeks and it will take months to recover. Here's why:
The Mountains have Turned into "Islands"

Western North Carolina, WNC for short, (and also bordering portions of NW SC & eastern TN) is effectively a series of tiny islands at this point, and I don't mean because of the flooding, but from a disaster perspective. After a major hurricane at the coast, relief and utility services can gradually work their way to the coast as roads open, but the barrier islands are cut off for days or weeks. The same will be true for parts of WNC.

NCDOT says 400 roads are closed. Every road/bridge that got washed out also took out water, gas and communications lines with it. This will take weeks to fix and will likely come with great human suffering the likes of which the area has never seen. Relief organizations won't be able to get into the areas where help is most needed due to so many roads being washed out.

The best bet for the next week will be helicopters and satellite internet, if people have the hardware. Even flying people/supplies into small airports won't be effective because so many roads are closed.

Rest of text in spoiler — READ IT:
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CashOnlyLargeBills:
Let me know when Duke panics with Lake Norman flooding the nuke plant.
View Quote

It's over when it changed from Duke power to Duke energy. Apparently Duke power was just too racist. Yet we still have all the Duke Universitys and stuff.

You don't want to be a powerful Duke in North Carolina it just sounds racist.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CashOnlyLargeBills:
Let me know when Duke panics with Lake Norman flooding the nuke plant.
View Quote
You will be alerted by local sources.....

After it is too late...
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: Today 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Insurance rates in the southeast are going to get turned up to 11 next year.
Link Posted: Today 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
View Quote

They’ve already gone insane here around the Texas Gulf coast.
Link Posted: Today 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

The stars were spectacular last night while the power was out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:
Originally Posted By mc556:
Originally Posted By Pogo55:
Has any looting started yet?

Nothing  but very minor stuff like grab  and go at the grocery store since cash only.
People being assholes at the 2-3 gas stations that have been running.        
It’s hard to believe but here is a pic from my front porch.  All this devastation is right on the other side of those mountains. .  No way to access most of it.     We’ve been told to expect at a min of a week without power most likely longer .    It’s so quiet I can’t hear any generators even .    

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87899/IMG_0144_jpeg-3334918.JPG

The stars were spectacular last night while the power was out.

It was cloudy last night and same tonight.
I really wanted to see them without all the light pollution.   I wonder if there are any ISS photos showing the night lights missing.
Link Posted: Today 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#10]
That’s awesome that he’s doing it. I enjoy watching his videos and you can see the genuine fun they have making it
Link Posted: Today 5:51:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
View Quote

Most of these folks affected likely did not have flood insurance and homeowners isn’t going to pay, so maybe not. It’s a sad situation.
Link Posted: Today 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Finally just heard from my friend that lives up near Mt Mitchell. Her dog and her are stranded, one way in and out of her area and the road is washed out. She said she is fine and there isn't any major emergency situation with anyone she is aware of.

Thank the lord.
Link Posted: Today 8:42:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#13]
Originally Posted By molar:

Most of these folks affected likely did not have flood insurance and homeowners isn’t going to pay, so maybe not. It’s a sad situation.
View Quote

Maybe not? Insurance increases fall right in line with death and taxes, and I think NC just approved a large rate increase (although less than the insurance companies wanted).

That said this level of damage in this area is essentially unprecedented, whereas nearer the cost it's a twice a decade or so affair...
Link Posted: Today 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Finally got a text from my co-worker in Asheville, obviously its not good up there.

Saw an update that I26 from Asheville south is clear and open. That's very good news, at least Asheville isn't an island anymore.
Link Posted: Today 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jafrush:
Finally got a text from my co-worker in Asheville, obviously its not good up there.

Saw an update that I26 from Asheville south is clear and open. That's very good news, at least Asheville isn't an island anymore.
View Quote

26 North is taken out?? With 40 out, if so that's a bitch. A lotta US highways around there aren't big truck friendly.
Link Posted: Today 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife said that a group from the Pamlico sound area went to the Chimney rock
area with some boats and rescued a little over 100 people. They went as far as
they could in the boats and then swam in. They were knowledgeable as that is what
they did at the coast during the hurricanes there.
Link Posted: Today 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MattyMattel:

26 North is taken out?? With 40 out, if so that's a bitch. A lotta US highways around there aren't big truck friendly.
View Quote
Yes, 26 north is confirmed wiped out.
Link Posted: Today 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#18]
It's going to be even worse when the waters recede.  
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
NC Dam Failure Imminent! (Page 6 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top