Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2116 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Stuck page
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:38:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

That would be valid, and open some new avenues for action. This needs to happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
Wagner should be declared a terrorist group for their participation in operations in Ukraine.

That would be valid, and open some new avenues for action. This needs to happen.

have Argentina revoke there business license to operate.  then they would be an illegal entity
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:39:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#4]

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2330853/ukraines-kherson-region-airs-russian-tv-army
Ukraine's Kherson region airs Russian TV: army

Russian television was now broadcasting in Ukraine's southern Kherson region, the Russian army said on Tuesday in an area where Moscow already introduced the ruble and began distributing Russian passports. The Russian armed forces have "reconfigured the last of the seven television towers in the Kherson region to broadcast Russian television channels" for free, it said.

https://t.me/riamelitopol/59030
Rashists decided to fight the underground in Melitopol with the death penalty In Melitopol, a wave of arrests is growing, which are carried out by the Russian invaders.It got to the point that priests and people who distributed food to the townspeople were taken prisoner.And Vladimir Rogov, a member of the Main Council of the Military-Civilian Administration of the Zaporozhye region, put forward an initiative to introduce the death penalty in the occupied territories.All these actions of the occupiers are directed against the growing resistance of the civilian population and to fight the local underground, the Mayor of Melitopol is sure.- It's obvious to me why they want to introduce the death penalty.They did not receive support from the civilian population and government officials 4 months ago, so they arrange the genocide of the Ukrainian people.We realized that the resistance is only growing, both peaceful protests and the opposition of the underground.Therefore, they want to introduce the death penalty against ordinary residents who express their opinion that they do not want to live in occupation, - Ivan Fedorov commented on the measures.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The Rashists from Mordor vs. the Tractor Troops: Ukraine’s new language of war
An English-language guide to Ukrainian slang.

https://www.politico.eu/article/rashists-mordor-tractor-troops-ukraines-new-language-of-war/

Lots of good ones in here; most amusing to me is that Orcs will be official slang in the History Books.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Sure hope something good happens for Ukraine soon. They need a good week of pushing orcs backwards
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

It just depends upon how this ends, but I don't think there is a strong chance of that.  Some scenarios:

1) Putin deposed/recycled, new czar makes peace/withdraws.

- In this scenario, nothing really changes.  The country is going to stay the imperial nuclear fiefdom it is and no one will mess with it.  Russia will keep the same toxic authoritarianism and stay a real threat to neighbors and global stability.

2) Soft or "color" revolution and replacement of entire regime and authoritarian kelptocracy with more liberal gov't

- This fits your scenario as republics/states may break off.  I think the far east would stay with Russia because a) it is administratively IS "Russia" and b) it is ethnically/culturally dominantly Russian.  So China still has most of it's border with Russia unchanged - still Russia.  

- The likely break-away places of any merit are in the Caucasus so no way to grab them. Most are dominantly muslim/turkic and likely to be hostile to China in principle because of their genocide against the Uighurs.

3) Russian win of some type.

- No opportunity in this scenario.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack67:
Originally Posted By Capta:
... In short, there is probably more long-term benefit to getting their piece of Russia than there is to fixate on a small island with no resources.

It just depends upon how this ends, but I don't think there is a strong chance of that.  Some scenarios:

1) Putin deposed/recycled, new czar makes peace/withdraws.

- In this scenario, nothing really changes.  The country is going to stay the imperial nuclear fiefdom it is and no one will mess with it.  Russia will keep the same toxic authoritarianism and stay a real threat to neighbors and global stability.

2) Soft or "color" revolution and replacement of entire regime and authoritarian kelptocracy with more liberal gov't

- This fits your scenario as republics/states may break off.  I think the far east would stay with Russia because a) it is administratively IS "Russia" and b) it is ethnically/culturally dominantly Russian.  So China still has most of it's border with Russia unchanged - still Russia.  

- The likely break-away places of any merit are in the Caucasus so no way to grab them. Most are dominantly muslim/turkic and likely to be hostile to China in principle because of their genocide against the Uighurs.

3) Russian win of some type.

- No opportunity in this scenario.

Russia will still be a nuclear threat which should provide them with protection across their own borders.  

But, Russia's ability to project global influence, instability and power has already been significantly diminished and appears to be lessening with each and every day.  They don't have the resources to send to Syria, Iran, Venezuela, etc.  And we are seeing countries like Sweden, Finland Lithuania, Kazakhstan even Japan make statements and take actions that I don't think we would have seen 6 months ago.  Russia's failures and decreased military might has and will continue to embolden other countries to lash back at Russian threats and power in increasing frequency.

And, outside of throwing a few nukes around, there's not much Russia can do about it at this point nor in the future as their economic well-being is being gutted.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By M-1975:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVsV1yeWQAEpZmN?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

That should end up in some advertisements in trade magazines for Raytheon and LM
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

Russia forcing itself into a multi front war when it can't find traction in a single front war will be quite amusing. You know, barring nuclear war and stuff. But them kicking themselves thoroughly in the balls will not cease to amuse me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LoBrau:
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
Russia is really making itself a lot more enemies.

Russia forcing itself into a multi front war when it can't find traction in a single front war will be quite amusing. You know, barring nuclear war and stuff. But them kicking themselves thoroughly in the balls will not cease to amuse me.

Follow up tweets indicate that the Russian blockade was fake news.

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Remember that helo shootdown crash from the other day?

Putin loses 55th colonel in Ukraine when his attack helicopter is hit by surface-to-air missile and crash lands into field

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/06/20/20/59309325-0-image-m-15_1655751857985.jpg

Dramatic footage shows the moment a Russian colonel crashes in his helicopter after being hit with a Ukrainian missile.

Lt-Col Sergey Gundorov, 51, was struck near Volnovakha in the Donbas.

The military helicopter flew on after being hit with a portable surface-to-air missile.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/06/20/19/59307131-10935481-The_high_ranking_pilot_had_previously_won_three_orders_of_courag-m-37_1655749536225.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/06/20/19/59307137-10935481-image-a-20_1655749074412.jpg

Gundorov is pictured with his two sons

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/06/20/19/59307145-10935481-Dramatic_footage_shows_the_military_helicopter_crash_land_before-a-40_1655750185338.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/06/20/19/59307149-10935481-The_Russian_attack_helicopter_is_said_to_have_completed_a_missio-a-41_1655750185341.jpg

More
View Quote

He just needed a mensur scar and he could’ve been Dr Evil for Halloween without much dress up
Well now I would imagine he has scars all over his corpse
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#12]

They'll try, and I think that is understood by all parties.  The endgame we're looking at is that Russia gets crushed and dismembered.  Qui bono?  Who benefits?  There's a lot of territory and resources to go around.  Perhaps there can be a mutually beneficial understanding between the west and China.
Yes, ideally China wanted to use Russia as a meat shield against the west.  That idea is going away due to Putin's stupidity, so China should re-evaluate where their interests lie and how they can most benefit from the current situation.  In short, there is probably more long-term benefit to getting their piece of Russia than there is to fixate on a small island with no resources.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
Russia is really making itself a lot more enemies.

China is going to exploit this

They'll try, and I think that is understood by all parties.  The endgame we're looking at is that Russia gets crushed and dismembered.  Qui bono?  Who benefits?  There's a lot of territory and resources to go around.  Perhaps there can be a mutually beneficial understanding between the west and China.
Yes, ideally China wanted to use Russia as a meat shield against the west.  That idea is going away due to Putin's stupidity, so China should re-evaluate where their interests lie and how they can most benefit from the current situation.  In short, there is probably more long-term benefit to getting their piece of Russia than there is to fixate on a small island with no resources.
chicoms get jack shit out of Russia
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:29:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#13]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Documentary on the heroic helicopter resupply missions to Azovstal:

??????? ? ?????????. ????????? ??????? ???????????? ?????? "?????" ?? ??? ?? ? ???????? ?????????
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

Heck it must make their emplyees proud that their stuff is smashing Russian tanks left and right as intended

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JQ66:

That should end up in some advertisements in trade magazines for Raytheon and LM

Heck it must make their emplyees proud that their stuff is smashing Russian tanks left and right as intended

It does, I am.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Russian drone footage of counterbattery on a Ukrainian M777 unit.   Oryx counted two howitzers destroyed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/vhbdnm/artillery_strikes_on_a_ukrainian_m777_howitzer/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Update on the drilling rig attack:

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:59:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#18]
Might be a Russian LPR/DPR captured T-64, but title claims a T-62.

Ukrainian ATGM team takes out Russian T-62
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:08:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#19]
There is discussion on the Reddit chats that there was a large attack on Snake Island about an hour ago.  

Russians confirmed a massive attack with "Uragans", "Tochkas" and something else, say of course they intercepted and repelled everything. So the attack of course did happen but the results are unclear. I'd say, it's almost unfathomable they repelled a massive MLRS barrage.
View Quote

https://apa.az/en/cis-countries/russian-mod-announces-attempt-by-armed-forces-of-ukraine-to-seize-snake-island-379034

"Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation announced an attempt by the Armed Forces of Ukraine to seize Snake Island. The attack did not bring results, since not a single missile reached the target, "stated in the message of the Ministry, APA reports citing RIA News.

“Yesterday, at about 5 am, the Kyiv regime made another attempt to seize the island of Serpents, hoping to inflict massive air and artillery strikes followed by a landing,” the ministry said in a statement. It is specified that more than 15 drones in strike and reconnaissance performance under the cover of S-300, which worked in the area of ​​Tuzla and Ochakov, were involved in the raid. In addition, the US Air Force’s Global Hawk RQ-4 strategic reconnaissance drone was spotted at high altitudes. The strikes were delivered by Ukrainian Tochka-U missiles, Uragan systems, and M-777 155-mm howitzers from positions west of Odessa and on Kubansky Island.

“Russian air defense destroyed all enemy weapons fired at Zmeiny Island, 13 drones, 4 Tochka-U missiles, and 21 Uragan rockets were shot down in the air. None of the Ukrainian fire weapons reached the target on the island,” the report says.

In this regard, the Ukrainians refused to land on the island and instead attacked the BK-1 and Krym-1 gas production platforms. In response to sabotage, Onyx cruise missiles destroyed hangars with Bayraktars-TB2 near Odessa and weapons on Kubansky Island.
View Quote

lol, I don't think Ukraine would want to do a landing until they wiped out Russian resupply and then destroyed their SAM systems.   Then you could just bomb them like they did with the Su-27's and take it unopposed.  Plus the M777's are getting some serious range firing from west of Odessa and Kubansky island.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#22]
"Slovakia will not supply tanks to Ukraine. You will laugh, but Germany is involved again.

The transfer of heavy weapons to Ukraine as part of the circular deliveries planned by Germany and Slovakia over the past two months is being delayed due to the lack of an agreement between Berlin and Bratislava, Business Insider reports. According to the publication, Slovakia was preparing to transfer 30 Soviet-made T-72 tanks to Kyiv and receive more modern tanks from Germany in return.
But last week, Bratislava refused round trip deliveries after Berlin offered it just 15 Leopard 2A4 tanks as compensation. According to the Slovak authorities, this is not enough to defend the country."
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#23]
German 155mm SPG's have made their way to the front.

https://www.ukr.net/news/details/russianaggression/91921731.html
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphyggt-462.gif
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Originally Posted By 302w:
Originally Posted By Prime:
Surrendering Russians

Are those Rooskie regulars? I imagine not, with their hodge podge uniforms.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphyggt-462.gif

Yea….becasue “Russian regulars” get all the high speed/low drag gear….like Rubber rain boots and Mosins.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Russia: Hope Is On The Famine

Russia apparently hopes to get sanctions eased due to it causing famine in Africa with its blokkade.

Bonus pressure by refugees flooding in to Europe

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1628677/ukraine-russia-news-putin-food-famine-threat-Margarita-Simonyan-western-sanctions-vn
View Quote

It’s their “smartest” move at this point with the weak-willed leftists and economically ignorant in Europe and the US currently.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Dracster:
"Slovakia will not supply tanks to Ukraine. You will laugh, but Germany is involved again.

The transfer of heavy weapons to Ukraine as part of the circular deliveries planned by Germany and Slovakia over the past two months is being delayed due to the lack of an agreement between Berlin and Bratislava, Business Insider reports. According to the publication, Slovakia was preparing to transfer 30 Soviet-made T-72 tanks to Kyiv and receive more modern tanks from Germany in return.
But last week, Bratislava refused round trip deliveries after Berlin offered it just 15 Leopard 2A4 tanks as compensation. According to the Slovak authorities, this is not enough to defend the country."
View Quote

So sell them some M1 Abrams at a discount and keep Lima and Anniston busier, and screw the germans
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

What is the relative cost of aircraft versus artillery? What is the response time of aircraft versus artillery? Which costs more to operate?

Aircraft are a poor replacement for artillery.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nomansland:

I think it was a NYT article or something else that stated Ukraine was firing ~6,000/day while Russians were doing ~60,000/day of artillery shells.  Doing some math - 152 mm shell is ~100 lbs total (projectile is less but still need to get total weight to the weapon to fire).  Explosive charge is ~15 lbs so say 15%.  Ukraine is firing about 300 tons per day (45 tons of explosive) while Russia is firing 3,000 tons per day (450 tons of explosive).

Estimates I'm seeing of NATO is that they have a total of ~1000 ground attack aircraft.  Say 2 sotries per day.  It looks like only 100 are F35 so I could completely agree that in the current AD environment that majority would have extreme difficult operating (so maybe take 10% of my number below?).

An F35 can have two 1000 lb bombs internally and still be stealthy.  If you had 1000 planes deliverying two 1000 lb bombs at a 2 sortie per day rate then that is 2,000 tons delivered (so about 1,000 tons of explosive delivered).

From say Kiev, you could cover all the current fronts and in interdict deeper than the systems we are sending (disrupting logistics, etc.).  You could hit Severodonetsk, then Kherson the next.  With artillery you would need to move the systems and the logistics of all those shells.  Doing similar math on the killing power of guys running around with NLAWS and Javalins is even more lopesided (that is why we are seeing the current artillery war - that is the greatest combat power the two can impose given the anti-air environment that neither side can overcome).

A different topic but a few pages back Jack67 was arguing that taking Crimea should be a strategic focus as a center of gravity.  CharlieR was arguing that degrading the warfighting capacity of the Russians was the number 1 goal (imposing enough cost that they finally give up).  I would agree with Jack67 if I was looking through the lens of either NATO or the US, but I think CharlieR is right given what Ukraine has.

If the US were in the war, we would probably not be talking about US artillery, not because it isn't great, but because it would likely have trouble getting in a position quick enough to kill big juicy targets before the Air Force did or the Abrams and Bradley over-ran the position and killed everything.  We could probably make a play of taking Crimea and then hitting all the Russian forces as they were trying to reposition (like stirring up a hornets nest).  Unfortunately I don't think Ukraine could take advantage of that situation given their current weapons available, and I doubt they could make an attack with the speed we could to force the Russians to react in the same way.  Given the advantage of being the defender, I think the Ukrainians are making the smartest play they can given the cards they hold.  I hope they can get more of the heavier systems up front with the necessary targeting for them to have a significant impact (I worry that they might have difficulty getting targeting further behind the lines with the Russian AD and EW).  They've been on the bad side of a war of attrition recently and that isn't something that can be maintained long term.

What is the relative cost of aircraft versus artillery? What is the response time of aircraft versus artillery? Which costs more to operate?

Aircraft are not a cost effective replacement for artillery, but they CAN replace artillery, especially with drones included in the mix.

Artillery can't really do a deep strike on a bridge 400 miles from the front lines.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#30]

They’ll try, and I think that is understood by all parties.  The endgame we’re looking at is that Russia gets crushed and dismembered.  Qui bono?  Who benefits?  There’s a lot of territory and resources to go around.  Perhaps there can be a mutually beneficial understanding between the west and China.
Yes, ideally China wanted to use Russia as a meat shield against the west.  That idea is going away due to Putin’s stupidity, so China should re-evaluate where their interests lie and how they can most benefit from the current situation.  In short, there is probably more long-term benefit to getting their piece of Russia than there is to fixate on a small island with no resources.
View Quote

I wouldn't be surprised if this was their long game.

They want Taiwan for the brain power though... something severely lacking in Russia.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Insta Link (no account needed)

Friend of my FIL laid to rest yesterday. MI-8 pilot shot down in Slovyansk area. He was 40 and left behind 3 children, including a 1.5 year old. I guess in UA, if you have 3 children, you are not obligated for military service, but he stayed anyways.

This man an my FIL both have large pigeon collections, which is how they knew each other.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By WildBill375:
German 155mm SPG's have made their way to the front.

https://www.ukr.net/news/details/russianaggression/91921731.html
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Insta Link (no account needed)

Friend of my FIL laid to rest yesterday. MI-8 pilot shot down in Slovyansk area. He was 40 and left behind 3 children, including a 1.5 year old. I guess in UA, if you have 3 children, you are not obligated for military service, but he stayed anyways.

This man an my FIL both have large pigeon collections, which is how they knew each other.
View Quote

Thanks for giving us an update, my condolences for the loss of the hero that your father in law knew.   And prayers for the family he had to leave behind.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVx3y2KWYAEuosY?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

I missed getting satellite intel in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Drakich:

Aircraft are not a cost effective replacement for artillery, but they CAN replace artillery, especially with drones included in the mix.
View All Quotes

You can try, if you’re rich and don’t want to be anymore, but sortie rates are low. Aircraft are best used for interdiction and strike, not CAS.
Artillery can't really do a deep strike on a bridge 400 miles from the front lines.

That’s a legacy of treaties more than anything. Aircraft are useful for that sort of thing, yes, but that’s very rich nation stuff and one of the capabilities that gets cut first if you’re smart and have a budget.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:48:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saltwater-Hillbilly] [#38]

He just needed a mensur scar and he could’ve been Dr Evil for Halloween without much dress up
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By realwar:
Remember that helo shootdown crash from the other day?

Putin loses 55th colonel in Ukraine when his attack helicopter is hit by surface-to-air missile and crash lands into field

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/06/20/20/59309325-0-image-m-15_1655751857985.jpg

Dramatic footage shows the moment a Russian colonel crashes in his helicopter after being hit with a Ukrainian missile.

Lt-Col Sergey Gundorov, 51, was struck near Volnovakha in the Donbas.

The military helicopter flew on after being hit with a portable surface-to-air missile.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/06/20/19/59307131-10935481-The_high_ranking_pilot_had_previously_won_three_orders_of_courag-m-37_1655749536225.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/06/20/19/59307137-10935481-image-a-20_1655749074412.jpg

Gundorov is pictured with his two sons

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/06/20/19/59307145-10935481-Dramatic_footage_shows_the_military_helicopter_crash_land_before-a-40_1655750185338.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/06/20/19/59307149-10935481-The_Russian_attack_helicopter_is_said_to_have_completed_a_missio-a-41_1655750185341.jpg

More

I'm not sure his body had much time to generate scar tissue prior to impact; Of course, we will probably never know, as it seems that the term "Well Done" can be applied to both the ADA team (as a complement) and the Helicopter Crew (as a description)
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Russian artillery strikes destroy a battery of M-777 howitzers:

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
sounds like general dynamics is going to have a lot of future customers in the Baltics.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:05:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Scott] [#41]
Slovakia is a Poland away from the Baltics.

But I do think that US systems are about to really capture the market.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
There is discussion on the Reddit chats that there was a large attack on Snake Island about an hour ago.  

https://apa.az/en/cis-countries/russian-mod-announces-attempt-by-armed-forces-of-ukraine-to-seize-snake-island-379034

lol, I don't think Ukraine would want to do a landing until they wiped out Russian resupply and then destroyed their SAM systems.   Then you could just bomb them like they did with the Su-27's and take it unopposed.  Plus the M777's are getting some serious range firing from west of Odessa and Kubansky island.
View Quote

Snake Island is not a good place to be sent to.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:21:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: batjka104] [#43]
Originally Posted By zach_:

Snake Island is not a good place to be sent to.
View Quote

Video of artillery strikes on an M-777 battery is allegedly from Kubanski island from where they were supposedly involved in an attack on the Snake island.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By stgdz:
sounds like general dynamics is going to have a lot of future customers in the Baltics.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stgdz:

I hope so! Fuck the Germans! I am so sick of their cowardice! They won't send real aid and they stop other countries from doing it to.

They are, IMHO, facilitating crimes against humanity by stopping aid that would help stop Russia and should be held accountable.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nomansland:

I think it was a NYT article or something else that stated Ukraine was firing ~6,000/day while Russians were doing ~60,000/day of artillery shells.  Doing some math - 152 mm shell is ~100 lbs total (projectile is less but still need to get total weight to the weapon to fire).  Explosive charge is ~15 lbs so say 15%.  Ukraine is firing about 300 tons per day (45 tons of explosive) while Russia is firing 3,000 tons per day (450 tons of explosive).

Estimates I'm seeing of NATO is that they have a total of ~1000 ground attack aircraft.  Say 2 sotries per day.  It looks like only 100 are F35 so I could completely agree that in the current AD environment that majority would have extreme difficult operating (so maybe take 10% of my number below?).

An F35 can have two 1000 lb bombs internally and still be stealthy.  If you had 1000 planes deliverying two 1000 lb bombs at a 2 sortie per day rate then that is 2,000 tons delivered (so about 1,000 tons of explosive delivered).

From say Kiev, you could cover all the current fronts and in interdict deeper than the systems we are sending (disrupting logistics, etc.).  You could hit Severodonetsk, then Kherson the next.  With artillery you would need to move the systems and the logistics of all those shells.  Doing similar math on the killing power of guys running around with NLAWS and Javalins is even more lopesided (that is why we are seeing the current artillery war - that is the greatest combat power the two can impose given the anti-air environment that neither side can overcome).

A different topic but a few pages back Jack67 was arguing that taking Crimea should be a strategic focus as a center of gravity.  CharlieR was arguing that degrading the warfighting capacity of the Russians was the number 1 goal (imposing enough cost that they finally give up).  I would agree with Jack67 if I was looking through the lens of either NATO or the US, but I think CharlieR is right given what Ukraine has.

If the US were in the war, we would probably not be talking about US artillery, not because it isn't great, but because it would likely have trouble getting in a position quick enough to kill big juicy targets before the Air Force did or the Abrams and Bradley over-ran the position and killed everything.  We could probably make a play of taking Crimea and then hitting all the Russian forces as they were trying to reposition (like stirring up a hornets nest).  Unfortunately I don't think Ukraine could take advantage of that situation given their current weapons available, and I doubt they could make an attack with the speed we could to force the Russians to react in the same way.  Given the advantage of being the defender, I think the Ukrainians are making the smartest play they can given the cards they hold.  I hope they can get more of the heavier systems up front with the necessary targeting for them to have a significant impact (I worry that they might have difficulty getting targeting further behind the lines with the Russian AD and EW).  They've been on the bad side of a war of attrition recently and that isn't something that can be maintained long term.

I was reading, recently, that the new tactic for Aircraft is to fly into enemy airspace as low and fast as possible.  Send off the payload, turn and burn.  

Air defenses are really tough to get through.  No way a Ukrainian Aircraft could get close enough to hit a bridge that far in.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

A heavy company of 2A4s for a battalion of crappy T-72s?

Take that trade all day long, twice on Sundays.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

I hope so! Fuck the Germans! I am so sick of their cowardice! They won't send real aid and they stop other countries from doing it to.

They are, IMHO, facilitating crimes against humanity by stopping aid that would help stop Russia and should be held accountable.
View Quote

Germany is heavily invested in Russia and has a significant Russian population.  It's interesting to note that Poland was in worse shape than Germany with regard to being occupied by the USSR, yet Poland will fight against Russia with all their might while Germany vacillates and dithers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Tomislav:

A heavy company of 2A4s for a battalion of crappy T-72s?

Take that trade all day long, twice on Sundays.
View Quote

The 2A4 is itself dated. Procuring it means they’ll need to spend millions on each for upgrades, they’ll have to buy new bridging and recovery equipment, and their tanks will hold half as much ground, even if they are better, meaning they won’t be where they are needed twice as often. I understand.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MBUZICHOMA:

Air defenses are really tough to get through.  No way a Ukrainian Aircraft could get close enough to hit a bridge that far in.
View Quote

US aircraft could, at tremendous expense, or a missile soon to be fielded by the US could…a battery could have breakfast at a cafe in Odessa, sink the Kerch bridge from the parking lot and displace to a really good lunch spot.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2116 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top