BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

Counterpoint: The Colorado still uses the the troubled GM 8 speed transmission, the I4T has cylinder deactivation for some reason, it's direct injection only, it has an interesting but complicated active cooling system, and... it's a GM product. lol

I'd take a Colorado or Canyon as a company car or as a lease, but to buy? I'll pay an extra 10% or whatever for a Toyota.

ETA: the best affordable alternative to the Tacoma is the same as it always was...

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/nissan/frontier/2022/oem/2022_nissan_frontier_crew-cab-pickup_pro-4x_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg
View Quote

I thought it was a different version of the 8 speed?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By The_Syndicate:

I thought it was a different version of the 8 speed?
View Quote

They claim it's been updated. Way, way too soon to tell one way or another.

Still though, it's a lot of points that are likely glossed over by many of the buyers. Realistically price, brand, and feature list takes much higher precedence in the average buyers purchasing decision than worrying about technicalities over the the engineering of the engine or what transmission it has and if it's changed much since the last years model. Even how the vehicle drives sometimes has such a minor impact in the purchase, as it's pretty common to see buyers remorse over drivetrain choices or suspension setups.

Reminds me of the time quite a few years back where GD convinced a guy that a 4cylinder Colorado was "good enough" and it wasn't even a month later that the poster was asking how to engine swap the thing. Oops.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

GD would go nuts with a BMW powered Tacoma.

I’m all here for it I guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rheinmetall792:

I wish they'd install a next gen 2JZ 3.4L I-6 turbo in the new Tier 1 Taco!

Optimized for truck use, of course. And with a proper 8-speed auto or 6-speed manual. Would have to have one helluva governor to keep top speed down.

GD would go nuts with a BMW powered Tacoma.

I’m all here for it I guess.

No problem just remember by 50k you'll need a new coolant tank the oil filter housing will need to be replaced along with the idler pulley and probably the engine mounts.

Possibly a valve covet gasket as well.  

Still can't believe I got rid of a lexus for that damn thing
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:43:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MEK] [#4]

Counterpoint: The Colorado still uses the the troubled GM 8 speed transmission, the I4T has cylinder deactivation for some reason, it's direct injection only, it has an interesting but complicated active cooling system, and... it's a GM product. lol

I'd take a Colorado or Canyon as a company car or as a lease, but to buy? I'll pay an extra 10% or whatever for a Toyota.

ETA: the best affordable alternative to the Tacoma is the same as it always was...

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/nissan/frontier/2022/oem/2022_nissan_frontier_crew-cab-pickup_pro-4x_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg
View Quote

All of this is why I bought a Frontier instead of another taco or a GM.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Another new one in underground.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Tacos shipping out.  That is all.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
What's the MPG?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By voodochild:
What's the MPG?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

4x4 Doublcab
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:08:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#9]
Word on the street is GST is shipping and Tacos are hitting dealer lots today and tomorrow.  In Minecraft.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:15:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TXBO] [#10]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:
Word on the street is GST is shipping and Tacos are hitting dealer lots today and tomorrow.  In Minecraft.
View Quote

Is every dealer in Minecraft getting just one?

Please shoot me a PM if somebody is getting more than one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TXBO:

Is every dealer in Minecraft getting just one?

Please shoot me a PM if somebody is getting more than one.
View Quote

I do not know the answer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#12]

I do not know the answer.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Tacos shipping out.  That is all.
View Quote

Hell yeah
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Thanks
View Quote

Classic Toyota in Galveston already got 2 earlier this week that they posted on facebook.  I think the one in College Station got a few in too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:07:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GutWrench] [#16]
@PhuzzyGnu it looks like you dropped off a few TRDOR’s 50 miles from me. If the weather is not bad Saturday I plan to go put my eyes and hands on them for myself.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Classic Toyota in Galveston already got 2 earlier this week that they posted on facebook.  I think the one in College Station got a few in too.
View Quote

A lot of dealers post units that are incoming but not on the lot yet.  Classic is one of the lower volume stores in Houston.  I'd be really pissed if they already have two units.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd speculate that most if not all of the trucks currently shipping already have buyers.

Question is, does anyone here already have their name on one?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#21]

A lot of dealers post units that are incoming but not on the lot yet.  Classic is one of the lower volume stores in Houston.  I'd be really pissed if they already have two units.
View Quote

Well not sure what to say, they had pictures of the trucks on their lot. I know a lot of dealers like to post their allocations that have not even been built yet but when they post pictures of the truck then I want to believe they have it....especially when they are saying it is here for purchase.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Tfl got one

We Just Bought One of the FIRST New 2024 Toyota Tacomas: Here's Which One & How Much We Paid!
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd speculate that most if not all of the trucks currently shipping already have buyers.

Question is, does anyone here already have their name on one?
View Quote

I am holding out for a TRDPRO.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#24]
First Tow: The New Toyota Tacoma’s MPG Surprised Me Both Towing & Empty on a 1000-Mile Road Trip!

The New 2024 Toyota Tacoma Is a Real Eye-Opener In The Snow AND Mud!
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Here are a couple of post from Tacoma World talking about test drive experience.

I drove a TRD offroad today. Check out the pics next to my 2022 TRD Offroad (TRD 2" lift FYI). This was a premium package ($53K) but dealer is not selling it right now - they want to use it as a demo for customers. They did say I could put a deposit on it and pick it up in 2 weeks - NO THANKS!

I am waiting it out until the Landcruiser arrives - and possibly new generation 4runner (and interest rates to go down)

Pros- Interior is super nice. It's comfortable, LOVE the center console setup, and the giant screen is sweet. It's not in the way of the windshield whatsoever. Also - no start stop. At least it didn't do it during my test drive - so I don't think it has it.

Cons- Engine is quick, but it "feels" like a 4cyl. Some of you will understand what I am saying. The truck also seems a little smaller - inside. Backseat might have less leg room? Sure seems like it. I HATE the power tailgate. I couldn't even figure it out to be honest. Doesn't close automatically, and started opening when I pushed it to close.

Overall, nice truck. Price isn't nice. But the interior upgrades are absolutely huge. Driving my 2022 afterwards felt like traveling back in time.

QUICK UPDATE- After a few hours of post-driving it, I can say, the interior is still in my head. I cannot express just how much more of an upgrade it is.
View Quote

So…Just got back from driving an SR5 with the upgrade package. The TLDR version is…Its OK. Not great, not terrible.

Let me start by saying I have never owed a Tacoma. I have driven many gen 2 and 3 trucks and owned a 2022 Tundra Limited. I always hated the seating position and clunky shifting not to mention that I though it was underpowered and the transmission shifting sucked.

Well I felt good sitting in it. Not as good as the Tundra but a lot better that the 3rd gen. For refence I am 5’11’’ and 240 pounds….so not a small guy. My inseam is between 29-30’’ so I have somewhat shorter legs. I had no problem adjusting the driver seat to my seating position and then sitting in the back without my knees touching the seat. However, the seating position in the rear seems like it would suck on a long drive for anyone and that is coming from me who owns a Wrangler JLU. I do think my rear Jeep seats are better. One complaint about the driver seating position I have is actually around the tilt of the steering wheel. It needs to go higher! When getting out of the truck my leg will rub against the wheel at its highest position.

As far as the powertrain goes….A lot of you are going to hate it. The truck I drove had 31 miles on it and the transmission was still learning. It does shift a lot better than the 3rd gen and is quick to shift gears. A big improvement, but there will be no doubt that you are driving a 4 banger. And yes, it does have turbo spool/lag! I found the acceleration to be ok…it is not a race car after all. You will have no problem getting on the highway or pulling out in front of traffic but again it has some spool time. It should be a fine engine in a midsize truck. I will say that the 2023 Canyon AT4s that I have test driven felt better in the acceleration and spool areas.

Now ride quality felt wonderful. Real smooth and solid. Engine noise is on par with any truck without an exhaust system. Can’t comment about HVAC or heated seats as the weather here is perfect for having the windows down some. The screen felt small. Remember I had a Tundra so it is small to me. Larger than the 7” in my jeep for sure….but nothing special. The diver display was good but I did not play with the menus. The size parts have the engine temp and gas gauges. The are pretty huge. I am sure the full size display will be a lot nicer and better. Did not see a manual in the glove box but there was a hitch pin in there which I found odd. Spray on bed liner was done well even though it is not needed.

If I were to get a new Tacoma it would be a Sport Premium or a Limited. I want all the bells and whistles. However now that I have driven one I am on the fence about it. Before the test drive I was 70% sure that I was going to get a Tacoma in a few months but after the test drive it is down to 50/50 between it and the AT4. I hate that the AT4 does not have a power sliding rear window, digital rearview mirror, and home link. All things the Tacoma has. But the Tacoma does not have the auto 4WD like the AT4 as well as does not seem as powerful(2.4L vs 2.7L). I won’t really get much in to pricing except that the AT4 and Tacoma are almost identically priced as I have them configured but I am sure that I would get a better deal when it comes to the AT4. Regardless I will be waiting until the hybrids are out before I pull the trigger on a new tuck. I may even go back to a Tundra. Well that’s all I got!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:25:21 AM EDT
[#26]
TLDR....Colorado Trailboss and new Tacoma TRD OR tow 6500 on the Ike.  Even with the Taco having less of a tow rating it did just as good and in some cases better than the Trailboss. Even got better gas milage.  In the end they said Trailboss won since it was $4k cheaper but the only option they really put up for a head to head comparison was an included trailer brake controller which the Taco does offer but they did not get on their Tacoma.  

2024 Toyota Tacoma vs Chevy Colorado FULLY LOADED: Both Take on the World's Toughest Towing Test!
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:23:38 AM EDT
[#27]
TLDR....Colorado Trailboss and new Tacoma TRD OR tow 6500 on the Ike.  Even with the Taco having less of a tow rating it did just as good and in some cases better than the Trailboss. Even got better gas milage.  In the end they said Trailboss won since it was $4k cheaper but the only option they really put up for a head to head comparison was an included trailer brake controller which the Taco does offer but they did not get on their Tacoma.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zn3vkEGlvQ
View Quote

The full results for those who don't like to listen to the TFL guys:

I think the past few midsized trucks were well into the 8 minute range with similar gas mileage, although I know they've changed their trailer load a few times over the years. Either way it's not going to be great in a torture test.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally one manual transmission popped up on the search page, a base model SR.

Toyota has managed to completely break their inventory search for Tacoma, and only for the Tacoma. Can't search for a radius bigger than 100miles without it returning no results after a minute, and if you do get results all it does is loop through the first few shown.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:58:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Here is the cheapest 2024 Tacoma 4x4 I could find online:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Finally one manual transmission popped up on the search page, a base model SR.

Toyota has managed to completely break their inventory search for Tacoma, and only for the Tacoma. Can't search for a radius bigger than 100miles without it returning no results after a minute, and if you do get results all it does is loop through the first few shown.
View Quote

I think I can help you.....Stop using the Toyota site.  

3TYLE5 = M/T

3TYLB5 = A/T

Down load the excel file from here and then start sorting for what you are looking for.  Then look at the first few of the VIN and find the M/T trucks.  It doesn't change the fats that right now there are no Sports, ORD, or SR5s with an M/T but you can check outside your state a lot easier and don't have to deal with the flakey Toyota site.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/131kwPy9x2bwci1NVE0tetG3jG57TxdJE/edit#gid=634834736
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Here’s a couple details on a TRD Sport that I saw today, I haven’t watched or read many of the reviews, yet, so some of this may have been covered.

Here we have the end plate of the tow hitch, which doubles as a hi-lift jack point. The tailpipe is fucking huge, hangs pretty low and far back.
Attachment Attached File

Closer look at the hitch jack point
Attachment Attached File

This is molded into the driver’s side upper mounting point for the headlamp.
Attachment Attached File

Morse code on the lower right corner of the windshield, like Tundra has
Attachment Attached File

Morse code on the little dash endcap storage cover
Attachment Attached File

More to come

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Every bed-side TRD sticker I've seen is on crooked.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

A lot of the paint I have seen looks like orange peel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

How many are stacking up at GST?  There was a reddit post showing hundred there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#35]

How many are stacking up at GST?  There was a reddit post showing hundred there.
View Quote

That would be accurate.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 2:04:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevieJ309] [#36]
Jumping The All New 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhrHoQ-3CD4
View Quote

I am surprised it took him so long to get that video out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#38]
New 2024 Toyota Tacoma Testing | Everything's New, All at Once | XOVERLAND's Trailhunter Special EP1
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:40:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ayada] [#39]

Had a chance to peak at the Overtrail today. Paint looks pretty decent in person although I could do without the wheels. Couldn't get inside and the front windows seemed like they had a tint to them as I couldn't get any photo to show up. Some guys wife was saying the 'steps' were useless and she couldn't understand why they were designed that way. Husband was having a hard time trying to explain that they aren't supposed to be steps.

Ironically, out of all the vehicles being shown off today the only one that had severe electrical issues was the 4Runner right next to it.

Saw the GX as well, no show on the Land Cruiser.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#40]
TFL already broke their truck.  The 4WD system popped while offroading.  No info yet of the problem but I am sure we will find out in a few days.  

Our Brand-New 2024 Toyota Tacoma Almost Left Us Stranded...Here's What Happened!
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#41]
TFL already broke their truck.  The 4WD system popped while offroading.  No info yet of the problem but I am sure we will find out in a few days.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svD7Mx2xius
View Quote

39 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Well, that's not good. While they are not gentile on their machines. They are far from abusive. Pretty sad the truck has already failed.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#43]

39 minutes.
View Quote

https://youtu.be/svD7Mx2xius?si=4P5JC2UVvUrnVj_v&t=534

You only have to watch this part.
Wrong tires for offroad in snow and ice, transfer case popped for no reason.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:14:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#44]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

Well, that's not good. While they are not gentile on their machines. They are far from abusive. Pretty sad the truck has already failed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

Break something? Wheeling (kinda?) It's Thursday

I like Smirnov and Mica - they should drive more and kibitz less tho . Maybe ice cleats next time - LMAO

Agree - didn't appear to be abusive but spinning then abruptly regaining (snow/ice > rock) can shock load. But if the noise was indicative of the actual failure - I didn't see that. Stuff happens - if we start seeing more of this, then concern. The very early Tundra 5.7 had a small number of cams literally snap. Identified and  fixed  - that engines turned out fine (ok cam tower leaks ) but otherwise damn good.

@JaFrush - you'll chuckle. Interested in thoughts

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#45]
My brother is getting ready to buy one of these... I have no reference, but are these going to be unobtainable? Anything specific he needs to make sure to get? He wants the Pro but dont wanna get that deep in one so I think hes settling on the Sport.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Break something? Wheeling (kinda?) It's Thursday

I like Smirnov and Mica - they should drive more and kibitz less tho . Maybe ice cleats next time - LMAO

Agree - didn't appear to be abusive but spinning then abruptly regaining (snow/ice > rock) can shock load. But if the noise was indicative of the actual failure - I didn't see that. Stuff happens - if we start seeing more of this, then concern. The very early Tundra 5.7 had a small number of cams literally snap. Identified and  fixed  - that engines turned out fine (ok cam tower leaks ) but otherwise damn good.

@JaFrush - you'll chuckle. Interested in thoughts

View Quote
It didn't look to me like it should have been enough spin to pop a CV, but videos can be deceiving.

ATRAC needs a little wheel spin before it starts activating ABS. It did look a little more than you need for ATRAC, but again nothing Id say is abuse really. Shit happens though.

Will be interesting to see where it was. Also remember they're doing it for views at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:
My brother is getting ready to buy one of these... I have no reference, but are these going to be unobtainable? Anything specific he needs to make sure to get? He wants the Pro but dont wanna get that deep in one so I think hes settling on the Sport.
View Quote

@wpsharpshooter

Send him this link.  Might help him find one.  If he is in mid TN then Beaman and Peppers have been good to work with for me.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/131kwPy9x2bwci1NVE0tetG3jG57TxdJE/edit#gid=2122898351
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#48]

@wpsharpshooter

Send him this link.  Might help him find one.  If he is in mid TN then Beaman and Peppers have been good to work with for me.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/131kwPy9x2bwci1NVE0tetG3jG57TxdJE/edit#gid=2122898351
View Quote

Peppers is right here in my town.. I have never personally had good luck with them.. But maybe something has changed.. Are the Pro's even available? bro told me that toyotas site doesnt even give an option to build a pro.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:

Peppers is right here in my town.. I have never personally had good luck with them.. But maybe something has changed.. Are the Pro's even available? bro told me that toyotas site doesnt even give an option to build a pro.
View Quote

Pro and Trailhunter info won't be released until late Spring due to the hybrid engine and deliveries likely much later than that. I'm going to just throw it out there that it's likely going to be very hard to grab the first few deliveries of either if your brother hasn't already been talking to a dealer, and if he really wants one of those trims his best bet is to throw out the widest net possible and be prepared to travel.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:45:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#50]
TFL snapped a CV I think from their video.

ETA: beat
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top