Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2024 1:13:24 PM EDT
My company this pressuring me into taking a new role. While looking at the job description it states that it is only paying straight time. The job is driving a truck hauling CNG. The pay would be $32.50 per hour straight time. I am not sure if this is still considered oilfield work or not. From what I was told, it is picking up trailers and dropping them off.

I don't understand how this could be exempted from the overtime pay. Does anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 1:23:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#1]
Hourly? Maybe, there are some weird OT pay carve outs for trucks drivers concerning OT pay if paid hourly or per mile.

Is driving the ONLY thing you will be doing, are there ANY other job work descriptions other then driving for the job?
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Texas:
My company this pressuring me into taking a new role. While looking at the job description it states that it is only paying straight time. The job is driving a truck hauling CNG. The pay would be $32.50 per hour straight time. I am not sure if this is still considered oilfield work or not. From what I was told, it is picking up trailers and dropping them off.

I don't understand how this could be exempted from the overtime pay. Does anyone have any ideas?
View Quote

It's not because its "oilfield work", but because you are driving a truck. The Motor Carrier Exemption under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Scroll down to
Legal Cases Relating to Overtime Compensation in Texas
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I would think that the State's wage and hour commission would be able to answer your questions.  That is who any request for overtime would be appealed to in any case.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the job description. It threw me for a loop because I've never heard of a straight time position. I've been doing local run truck driving for 20 years and have never seen a company not pay overtime before. I have noticed that this company will screw over the employees any chance they get.  This is one of those companies that tries to offer a pizza party instead of a raise or any improvements to the job.

looking for experienced Class A Drivers with Tanker & Hazmat and CNG Certification/ experience, for full time employment. Must have Class A CDL with Hazmat, Tanker, CNG Certification from Texas Railroad commission, and at least 2 year of verifiable Class A Driving experience. Must have reliable transportation and be able to get yourself to the yard.

All drivers start on Night Shift

Responsibilities and Duties

Drive and operate company equipment in a safe and efficient manner
Follow all DOT Laws
Follow all company procedures, and guidelines
Qualifications and Skills

2 year verifiable CDL-A Oilfield driving experience, with Hazmat & Tankers endorsements
Ability to work 12-14 hour shifts
Lift approximately 50-75 lbs throughout the shift
Pass DOT screening
Pass pre employment D&A, background screens
Must have good MVR
Benefits

Compensation

Competitive Hourly pay- Straight Time Hourly
Paid Orientation and Training $21.00 an hour (straight time)
$32.50 per hour day shift
$33.50 per hour night shift
12 hour daily guarantee for scheduled days, must be present and available for dispatch.
Paid Bi-weekly through direct deposit
Benefits- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life/STD/AD&D etc...
401k with employer match
* is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.

Job Type: Full-time

Pay: From $32.50 per hour

Expected hours: No more than 70 per week

Benefits:

401(k)
401(k) matching
AD&D insurance
Dental insurance
Disability insurance
Health insurance
Health savings account
Life insurance
Paid orientation
Paid time off
Paid training
Prescription drug insurance
Retirement plan
Safety equipment provided
Vision insurance
Supplemental pay types:

Safety bonus
Signing bonus
Trucking driver type:

Company driver
Solo driver
Trucking route:

Local
Application Question(s):

Can you drive a manual transmission / EF single split 10 speed?

Class A Tractor Trailer Driving: 2 years (Required)
License/Certification:

CDL A CDL with Hazmat & tanker endorsement (Required)
Texas CNG certification (Required)
Ability to Relocate:

Texas: Relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: On the road
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#5]
So the job is not just driving trucks. My manager informed me the job is moving CNG transports from a staging pad to a frack job as needed. And sometimes you would be driving them about 3 to 4 hours one way to the loading facility and drop andhook a full trailer. During the fract job about every hour and a half you would be hooking up a whole trailer taking it to location and swapping it out for an empty one.  Supposedly you get paid for 12 hours even if you only do two.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
 Supposedly you get paid for 12 hours even if you only do two.
View Quote

Just make sure you get stuff like that in writing.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
 Supposedly you get paid for 12 hours even if you only do two.

Truth, it's usually bullshit because they WILL find you something else to do.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure if there's nothing to do they will just tell me to go haul crude oil again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top