Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2024 10:37:11 AM EDT
If a person wanted to sell a new pristine condition (un-fired) Sig Spear LT (5.56), with mounted accessories including new EOTECH EXPS3-0 and EOTECH G45 magnifier (with mount) and a new Surefire dual fuel pro turbo scout light, what website(s) would you recommend for advertising it in Texas? It's easy to read, understand, and follow Texas transfer laws governing individual private transfers, but I think there may be a new ATF / Biden Admin law preventing this type of transfer now? Short of contacting a lawyer for clarification, do any of you have direct knowledge of the new process which I believe may be required as of 2024?

I've never been in the business of buying weapons with intent to sell for profit, in fact I'm certain that I've never made a profit selling any weapons. I simply own a rifle that I'd like to sell; not interesting is starting or having a firearms sales business. The problem I'm having is trying to understand if I can legally sell this rifle to another private person in Texas without breaking some ambiguous law. Is the 'safe' option to contact firearms dealers in Texas to see if they would be willing to be the 'go-between' me and the buyer, thus performing the required background and paperwork typical of normal transfer process?
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 11:44:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#1]
If you are concerned about the sale, just use an FFL for the transfer. Or, you can put the item on consignment with an FFL.

Just be aware that with consignment, if you change your mind, or the item doesn't sell, you will have to fill out a 4473 in order the get your item back.

Link Posted: 6/1/2024 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
you are able to sell as you usually would....
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Without a FATF license, you can only sell to a resident of the same state.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Post it on the EE here and use USPS to ship a rifle to their ffl if out of state. If in state mail it to their door step.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the good advice and clarifications; much appreciated guys.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Shipmygun can also be pretty affordable.

Though for rifles you can ship via USPS.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigfoothunt:
View Quote

100% wrong, once again.

He cannot sell a FTF WITHOUT going through a FFL. Depending upon which state the buyer is from, he could do a FTF with a FFL as the intermediary.

For a selling tip, you are more likely to get more by selling accessories away from the gun.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Nipkinz:
If a person wanted to sell a new pristine condition (un-fired) Sig Spear LT (5.56), with mounted accessories including new EOTECH EXPS3-0 and EOTECH G45 magnifier (with mount) and a new Surefire dual fuel pro turbo scout light, what website(s) would you recommend for advertising it in Texas? It's easy to read, understand, and follow Texas transfer laws governing individual private transfers, but I think there may be a new ATF / Biden Admin law preventing this type of transfer now? Short of contacting a lawyer for clarification, do any of you have direct knowledge of the new process which I believe may be required as of 2024?

I've never been in the business of buying weapons with intent to sell for profit, in fact I'm certain that I've never made a profit selling any weapons. I simply own a rifle that I'd like to sell; not interesting is starting or having a firearms sales business. The problem I'm having is trying to understand if I can legally sell this rifle to another private person in Texas without breaking some ambiguous law. Is the 'safe' option to contact firearms dealers in Texas to see if they would be willing to be the 'go-between' me and the buyer, thus performing the required background and paperwork typical of normal transfer process?
View Quote

Once a firearm is transferred on a 4473 to a non-licensee it is used, never new.  You can say it's in great/excellent condition but it's still a used gun.

Legally there is no new process or background check required in TX to sell one firearm you don't want/need any more to another TX resident.  Just advertise and sell it for cash in a FTF transaction.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Nipkinz:
The problem I'm having is trying to understand if I can legally sell this rifle to another private person in Texas without breaking some ambiguous law.
View Quote

There is no Texas law. Only laws that apply here are Federal.

I would sell it here, TexasGunTalk, GunBroker or take it to a gun show.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By UV18:

100% wrong, once again.

He cannot sell a FTF WITHOUT going through a FFL. Depending upon which state the buyer is from, he could do a FTF with a FFL as the intermediary.

For a selling tip, you are more likely to get more by selling accessories away from the gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigfoothunt:

100% wrong, once again.

WTF you talking about?  Texas has an injunction against this bullshit.

OP, you're GTG til the middle of the month.

If you're in north Texas, here are the gunshow listings:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_8/620050_8-9-June-Bossier-City-Fort-Worth-gun-shows-dinner-Sat-night.html
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#11]
It will be funny if SCOTUS deems FFL’s to be unconstitutional and we all get to mail order rifles again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:11:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

WTF you talking about?  Texas has an injunction against this bullshit.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_8/620050_8-9-June-Bossier-City-Fort-Worth-gun-shows-dinner-Sat-night.html
View Quote

He is saying in state only without have a FFL. That is wrong. You can sell to anyone but must use a FFL. You can even sell in state to an out of state resident provided that person's state is eligible for longgun/shotgun purchases in TX.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#14]

He is saying in state only without have a FFL. That is wrong. You can sell to anyone but must use a FFL. You can even sell in state to an out of state resident provided that person's state is eligible for longgun/shotgun purchases in TX.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  WTF you talking about?  Texas has an injunction against this bullshit.

Dude, I don't know what Communist state you live in, but currently, in state Texas transactions between a Texas resident & a Texas resident need no FFL.  A Texas resident who is not an FFL may not sell to a non-Texas resident at all without running the transaction through an FFL.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Dude, I don't know what Communist state you live in, but currently, in state Texas transactions between a Texas resident & a Texas resident need no FFL.  A Texas resident who is not an FFL may not sell to a non-Texas resident at all without running the transaction through an FFL.
View Quote

This.

Disregard anything UV18 has posted.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:
It will be funny if SCOTUS deems FFL’s to be unconstitutional and we all get to mail order rifles again.
View Quote

That and 4473s is literally the argument Hunter Biden is going to make.
Top Top