BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where does Bigfoot get wire hangers, smart guy?
View Quote
Dollar store, did you miss that post?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Try it before you proclaim it fake.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The dry cleaners like everyone else. What kind of fucking question is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's how Sasquatch finds water.
Where does Bigfoot get wire hangers, smart guy?
The dry cleaners like everyone else. What kind of fucking question is that?
You’re right- the suit needs to be cleaned sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One would have to be more than stupid to reject what they saw with their own eyes.

In my case I witnessed the late Bill Botton, a master gunsmith and machinist who used to build race guns from scratch for competitors, using bent metal rods, locate a broken sewer line on his lawn.
Just because we don't know yet why it works, or why it doesn't always work, does not make it "para" anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always tell myself that all the people who claim to believe in this stuff are just trolling.

... because I refuse to believe they can actually be that fucking stupid.  
One would have to be more than stupid to reject what they saw with their own eyes.

In my case I witnessed the late Bill Botton, a master gunsmith and machinist who used to build race guns from scratch for competitors, using bent metal rods, locate a broken sewer line on his lawn.
Just because we don't know yet why it works, or why it doesn't always work, does not make it "para" anything.
Anxiously awaiting your link to documentation of consistently succeeding in double-blind testing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Electricity and magnetism.   If you understand them well enough, you can understand how dowsing might work.

For something that many of you claim doesn't work,  it seems to have an awfully high and consistent success rate.  

Don't you just hate it when you can't explain why something works and despite all your jumping up and down and stomping your feet and yelling "That can't possibly work!", there's a guy out there right now who's actually using it with a very impressive success rate?

In my time working for the phone company I was taught the dowsing for buried cable trick and guess what?  It worked.  Every. Single. Time.  Even when the 3m/Dynatel cable locator system gave questionable results,  dowsing with lengths of ground wire always found the cable and it never, ever missed.   The cable was right under the crossing points.  In places I'd never been,  with cables that didn't appear on any documents I had access to.

Only a fool denies the evidence in front of him.
View Quote
Only a bigger fool believes conveniently unreproducible  “evidence”...

Links to consistent “wins” in double blind testing?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Can they be used to locate which plane on a treadmill contains chemtrail agents?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd really like to know where @rogueboss stands on this subject
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Must...resist...
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Must...resist...
View Quote
Just let em have it
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dousing isn't real
View Quote
Tell that to the guys down the road with 500+ feet wells pumping 3 gallons a minute, while we had a friend douse my sisters well and its 125 feet running over 11 gallons a minute. They love a good laugh!
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah outsider looking in here without knowing much about it

Looks like witch craft
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No no no. Even if you're sure, you've done it, or whatever, don't talk to GD about dousing. Ever.
Yeah outsider looking in here without knowing much about it

Looks like witch craft
It is a gift. You cant just think about cool running water and the apple limb twist in your hands........I tried it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tell that to the guys down the road with 500+ feet wells pumping 3 gallons a minute, while we had a friend douse my sisters well and its 125 feet running over 11 gallons a minute. They love a good laugh!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dousing isn't real
So why doesn’t it work in objective tests around real scientists? Surely there is an explanation for that...
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anxiously awaiting your link to documentation of consistently succeeding in double-blind testing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always tell myself that all the people who claim to believe in this stuff are just trolling.

I'm anxiously waiting for you to tell me that I didn't see it happen!
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dousing does work but I don't think it would work with coat hangers.
View Quote
So what science is used in dowsing? What do you use?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Only a bigger fool believes conveniently unreproducible  “evidence”...

Links to consistent “wins” in double blind testing?
View Quote
You call that science? You do know what science is don't you? Dowsing may be something but science it isn't.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What you thought you saw and what actually happened are two very different things.

View Quote
So you were there with me when I saw the wires cross and where he dug down?
Was that your teleported/telepathic spirit remotely observing us at those moments?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
GD would use dowsing rods to find IEDs
View Quote
You jest... but alas truth is stranger than fiction. Well maybe not stranger in this case, but equally fucked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniffex
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:15:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As others have posted - if it actually worked in a controlled environment someone would have applied for and actually won one or more of the prizes for demonstrating it.
View Quote
I never made a claim that it would "work in a controlled environment," I only said I saw it work.
My statement is first-hand, direct observation, not a story someone told me.
There are any number of other people who have said they have done it or have said they have seen it done, enough that it cannot just be summarily dismissed (except as a matter of blinkered faith).
The guy who did it was not performing a paid stunt for a crowd--he was just a regular guy trying to find a clog in a long sewer line and it worked.
I made no claim that it always works--rather I said that I saw with my own eyes that it worked on at least one occasion.
Bringing up the Amazing Randi or double-blind tests this context is pathetic argument.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:40:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 2:13:07 AM EDT
[#23]
It's the Ideomotor Effect.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 2:54:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I never made a claim that it would "work in a controlled environment," I only said I saw it work.
There are any number of other people who have said they have done it or have said they have seen it done, enough that it cannot just be summarily dismissed (except as a matter of blinkered faith).
The guy who did it was not performing a paid stunt for a crowd--he was just a regular guy trying to find a clog in a long sewer line and it worked.
I made no claim that it always works--rather I said that I saw with my own eyes that it worked on at least one occasion.
Bringing up the Amazing Randi or double-blind tests this context is pathetic argument.
View Quote
"I DONE SEENT IT"
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How is it pathetic?

Science proves that it's no better than flipping a coin.

Doing some research into the ideomotor effect would easily explain what you saw.

The person holding the sticks is what makes them cross. Subconsciously, yes, but the person does it. This is done by using various cues again, often subconsciously. Things like where they think it might be, where it makes sense it would be, where the grass or ground is disturbed etc.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but it's kinda like Santa Claus. It's OK to believe in it when you're a kid, but it's time to wake up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is it pathetic?

Science proves that it's no better than flipping a coin.

Doing some research into the ideomotor effect would easily explain what you saw.

The person holding the sticks is what makes them cross. Subconsciously, yes, but the person does it. This is done by using various cues again, often subconsciously. Things like where they think it might be, where it makes sense it would be, where the grass or ground is disturbed etc.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but it's kinda like Santa Claus. It's OK to believe in it when you're a kid, but it's time to wake up.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_choice_quantum_eraser

What's your take on the double slit experiment? Does the person observing subconsciously control the interference pattern or how does it work?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

And then please explain quantum entanglement when you're done with that. I've been meaning to brush up on that. Physics is fun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 4:35:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/3/2018 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So why doesn’t it work in objective tests around real scientists? Surely there is an explanation for that...
View Quote
Performance anxiety.

Link Posted: 7/3/2018 5:38:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dousing isn't real
View Quote
LOL...I worked for a water company back in the late 70's. I used aluminum rods to find water lines all the time. I do not know how they work but it does.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Must...resist...
View Quote
@subnet. You can’t.  Let’s party.  It’s been awhile.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#31]
witchin stick believer

Link Posted: 7/3/2018 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've used coat hangers.

They work.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, dowsing works.  Copper coat hangers are the easiest means.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Electricity and magnetism.   If you understand them well enough, you can understand how dowsing might work.

For something that many of you claim doesn't work,  it seems to have an awfully high and consistent success rate.  

Don't you just hate it when you can't explain why something works and despite all your jumping up and down and stomping your feet and yelling "That can't possibly work!", there's a guy out there right now who's actually using it with a very impressive success rate?

In my time working for the phone company I was taught the dowsing for buried cable trick and guess what?  It worked.  Every. Single. Time.  Even when the 3m/Dynatel cable locator system gave questionable results,  dowsing with lengths of ground wire always found the cable and it never, ever missed.   The cable was right under the crossing points.  In places I'd never been,  with cables that didn't appear on any documents I had access to.

Only a fool denies the evidence in front of him.
View Quote
I'll bite. So, if dowsing works by picking up differences in potential between the magnetic field of the earth and the electromagnetic field of the human body due to water, metal pipes, plastic pipes, etc, will it make a difference whether you are wearing shoes or not?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#36]
OK if you believe dowsing works, but don't exactly know why, you should at least be able to state the method in which it works.
So it is a Y shaped branch? If so, from what tree?
Is it metal rods? What kind of metal? Does it matter how long?
What does it detect? Running water? Standing water? Metal? Electrical wires?
What does it do when it detects it? Wires rotate together? Wires rotate away from each other? Wires rotate in same direction? Branch points down (in the case of the branch variety)?

If this is an actual phenomenon (regardless if the science behind it can be proven or not), anybody that has done or witnessed dowsing should have the same answers for all of these questions.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you claim you saw or didn’t see is conveniently unverifiable.

Either it works or it doesn’t. If it works, it should work under measurable conditions and be consistent/repeatable. Otherwise it’s a story.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As others have posted - if it actually worked in a controlled environment someone would have applied for and actually won one or more of the prizes for demonstrating it.
wait, you can also find clogs in sewer lines?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw someone get cut in half and put back together at a magic show.  Saw it with my own eyes.  So we know cutting people in half for fun is possible.

Asking for scientific verification in that context is silly. Seeing is believing, bro.  Do you even Santa Claus?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've used coat hangers.

They work.
View Quote
I have hit so many goddamn water and electric lines because of dousers.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What you claim you saw or didn't see is conveniently unverifiable.

Either it works or it doesn't. If it works, it should work under measurable conditions and be consistent/repeatable. Otherwise it's a story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you claim you saw or didn't see is conveniently unverifiable.

Either it works or it doesn't. If it works, it should work under measurable conditions and be consistent/repeatable. Otherwise it's a story.
It is truly unfortunate that way back in the the late '80's, when I drove up to Bill Botton's house to drop off my 1911 to have it tuned up for pin shooting, that I lacked the foresight to know that he, to my surprise, would be outside on his lawn dowsing and that I also lacked a not-yet-in-existence cell phone camera in order to satisfy the not-yet-made demands of not-yet-in-existence Arfcomers.
It is even sadder that, a few days later when I returned to pick up my gun,  I foolishly forgot to bring even a Kodak Brownie to document the fresh dirt where the lawn had been dug up at the dowsed spot or a tape recorder to record the flush of the now working toilet when I took a leak.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I guess shit, piss and water on one side of the clog and nothing on the other.
He found the line and followed it with the wires crossing and stopped when they stopped crossing.
Bingo!
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You call that science? You do know what science is don't you? Dowsing may be something but science it isn't.
View Quote
So if it isn't science, then it's magic? Or maybe voodoo, obeah or just plain old witchcraft.

I really hope you were being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#44]
I love that this thread is titled "settled science", and the people who claim dowsing works are scoffing the scientific method used to identify and verify actual phenomena.

"I use it! I've seen it work!  It is real!"

Yet, still cannot be reproduced in a controlled experiment.

Thus, not science.

FWIW, there's no such thing as "settled science", otherwise we'd still believe that the run rotated around the earth and that the atom was the smallest particle of matter.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#45]
On this almost 4th of July, some of you are an embarrassment to the nation that put a man on the Moon.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't know why people get so upset when other people believe in dowsing.....or Santa, the easter bunny, leprechauns, forest sprites, woodland fairies, unicorns, and so on.  If it makes 'em happy, and it doesn't cost me any money I am content to let them keep believing whatever they want.  I wouldn't pay for a dowser though, and I quit believing in those other things decades ago.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't know why people get so upset when other people believe in dowsing.....or Santa, the easter bunny, leprechauns, forest sprites, woodland fairies, unicorns, and so on.  If it makes 'em happy, and it doesn't cost me any money I am content to let them keep believing whatever they want.  I wouldn't pay for a dowser though, and I quit believing in those other things decades ago.
View Quote
I think you're confusing upset with entertained
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
What’s with the negative aura, man...
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have hit so many goddamn water and electric lines because of dousers.
View Quote
So, you're Charlie Brown and dowsers are Lucy?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
On this almost 4th of July, some of you are an embarrassment to the nation that put a man on the Moon.
View Quote
If Neil took some coat hangers maybe he coulda found water.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top