User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The best thing to come out of The Motion Picture movie was the Klingon battle scene music.   That was well done.  Also the book the movies is based upon is actually a pretty good read.  it explains some really cool things that never show up in the movie.  

View Quote

I'll allow it.  That music became basically their de facto theme music in every movie after.  It's a really good piece.  They even played a bit of it when you saw Worf on the Defiant in First Contact.  That was a nice touch.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I recall it being leisurely, almost as if the bird of prey thought it had all the time in the world to play with it's target thanos to cloaking. Course it's been awhile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

The only part of VI that makes me cringe is how Spock & McCoy are able to cobble together a guided photon torpedo in mere minutes, all while the cloaked Klingon Bird of Prey is blasting them without letup. Seems like cloaking technology would've been made instantly obsolete if it were that easy to defeat.

I recall it being leisurely, almost as if the bird of prey thought it had all the time in the world to play with it's target thanos to cloaking. Course it's been awhile.

IIRC, that photon torpedo was only to reveal its location, i.e. fire it at the source of the particles it was emitting…….. once it was revealed where it was, they let it have the works with regular weapons……..
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thought that was a Roddenberry quote (or it might've come from Blish) from the 60s?  I vaguely remember reading an article with that observation in The Best of Trek which was printed in the late 70s.
View Quote

I think I heard it in the "chaos on the Bridge" documentary that came out awhile back
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
At least 2nd best.

It's very good, but I don't think anything can top TWoK.

I'll put First Contact in 3rd place,
with The Voyage Home in 4th.

View Quote
Gospel.. this man speaks it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Second best.  Only Khan tops it.  It was an excellent last hurrah for the Original Series crew.
View Quote
Yep.

it was also the year of the 25th anniversary and the last season of TNG.. definitely peak Trek.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Man I'm late to the thread but...

First Contact is #1 for me, but I prefer TNG over TOS anyway. I've never even see all of the TOS episodes.

A DS9 movie would have been cool but not sure what they would have done.

The Undiscovered Country is really good, until you realize that the Viridian patch that Spock (who just happened to be carrying said patch) slapped on Kirk's back would have been removed when Kirk was sent to the prison planet. How would they have tracked him?

And like someone else said, Chekov being dumb about the phaser usage.

But then even Wrath of Khan had inconsistencies - Chekov and Khan never met in TOS, yet they recognized each other. Chekov could have been explained away from reading mission reports but Khan? It's been a few years since I've seen the scene...
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep.

it was also the year of the 25th anniversary and the last season of TNG.. definitely peak Trek.
View Quote

Huh? Undiscovered Country and 25th anniversary were in 1991.

TNG Season 7 concluded in May 1994.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

First Contact is #1 for me, but I prefer TNG over TOS anyway. I've never even see all of the TOS episodes.

The Undiscovered Country is really good, until you realize that the Viridian patch that Spock (who just happened to be carrying said patch) slapped on Kirk's back would have been removed when Kirk was sent to the prison planet. How would they have tracked him?

But then even Wrath of Khan had inconsistencies - Chekov and Khan never met in TOS, yet they recognized each other. Chekov could have been explained away from reading mission reports but Khan? It's been a few years since I've seen the scene...
View Quote

I have read that Khan and Chekov may have met when he was talking/recruiting the crew members when he was strolling around the ship. He might have remembered a young crew member who challenged him on his ideas.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#10]
OPNI. 2 and 4 are tied for 2nd place.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

Maybe I'm miss remembering it..
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ricardo disagrees

Wrath of Khan is clearly the superior movie.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47594/DD968862-187B-471C-9445-58B871BD172A-2650318.jpg
View Quote

Three out of the four actors/actresses on that poster are dead now, and the fourth is in his 90s.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Wrath of Kahn is a very close second but, it's still second.

Also General Chang is the best Star Trek baddie. Dukat is 2nd. Kahn is 3rd.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/q9oisiv.gif

View Quote

How can we value your opinion when you live in Ohio.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because... I am... Ohioman!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
At least 2nd best.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That Jedi named Spock using The Force to talk to Humpback Whales so the giant space lightsaber wouldn't destroy Earth after Scotty gives us Plexiglass wasn't?
View Quote

And Chekhov looking for the 'nuclear wessels
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Khan would have choked Chang to death
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#21]
II and VI, it’s a hard toss up for me but I’m going with Kahn
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Khan vs. General Chang (Rap Battles of the Final Frontier)
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Is the best. It’s pure sci fi at its finest. Great score even good acting. The effects still stand up.

The rest are just characatures  of the tv series. While some of them fun and decent enough the motion picture is great

The rest in order.

WOK
TVH
TUC

Anything else doesn’t count.
All the Picard movies are dogshit and that one where they go to find god with spocks brother. Holly hell it’s bad.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#24]
The bar isn't very high when all of star trek sucks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
TWoK was the best. I don't think they could have found anyone better to play Khan than Ricardo. He nailed it.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold. While sitting on rich Corinthian leather".
View Quote

Yup.

I will say that my moms favorite is the one with the wales. She doesn’t like Star Trek though.  I think the general public liked it the most.  

Chekov asking about a nuclear vessel in a thick Russian accent,  Vulcan nerve pinch on the bus, concept of the wales nuking us and not us nuking them, Spock swimming in that tank, talking into the computer mouse,  etc.

it’s a really fun movie.  Definitely among the better ones.

Edit - had my movies mixed up.  Uc is good though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Wrath of Kahn is the best.  6 is good, but I feel like it hasn't held up as well.  I saw it in the theater, when I was in JHS and loved it.  I recently watched it and felt like it wasn't as good.

Oh, and the TNG movies all suck gay cock.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah the Viridian patch being somehow missed by the Klingons is another minor annoyance for me. Kirk & McCoy retained their Starfleet uniforms during that whole ordeal, but it seems pretty unlikely that the Klingons wouldn't have noticed that Kirk was obviously wearing some kind of tracking device when they first captured them, unless Klingons are just really stupid.

As for Khan recognizing Chekov, I've always subscribed to the theory that they bumped into each other at some point on one of the lower decks before Chekov was promoted to bridge duty, and that scene simply wasn't shown in "Space Seed."
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have read that Khan and Chekov may have met when he was talking/recruiting the crew members when he was strolling around the ship. He might have remembered a young crew member who challenged him on his ideas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The story I heard was that Chekov was taking his sweet time in the head when Khan really had to go. When Chekov finally came out Khan said "I shall remember you, I never forget a face!" as he rushed in.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The story I heard was that Chekov was taking his sweet time in the head when Khan really had to go. When Chekov finally came out Khan said "I shall remember you, I never forget a face!" as he rushed in.
View Quote

That was SFDebris’s theory, and I like it a lot.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Third best Star Trek movie after 2 and 6.  Maybe tied with 4.

“IS THERE AIR?!  YOU DON’T KNOW!!”
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I liked Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country but I really liked the reboot with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Is the best. It's pure sci fi at its finest. Great score even good acting. The effects still stand up.
View Quote

It is indeed the best pure sci-fi of the Trek movies(and holds up well against a lot of non-Trek sci-fi back before sci-fi turned into the "action movie in space" trope that everything is now)... But wow, those uniforms are 70's trash. And those drawn out "let's drive around the ship in a pod forever" scenes... Well, it's like unskippable ads on streaming videos. Or unskippable cut scenes in a game. OK, I get it, they wanted to show off the shiny new refit exterior. But no, just no, cut it and forget it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I liked Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country but I really liked the reboot with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL he couldn't have minded too much since he was a pivotal part of the story!
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why did the Klingons here and only here have purple blood?
View Quote

It was a side effect of the vaccine for the Augment virus.  Pure blood Klingons have red blood.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
At least 2nd best.

View Quote

While I'd swap First Contact and Voyage Home, I can't really argue.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like to divide them up; I loved the reboot flicks too but they're an alternate universe so they get graded separately IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Not even in the top three of the original cast.

1.  Wrath of Kahn
2.  The Voyage Home
3.  The search for Spoke
4.  Star Trek the motion picture
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why did the Klingons here and only here have purple blood?
View Quote

MPAA
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Dang, and it is page 3.

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Empire Strikes Back
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#45]
FPNI
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top