BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That’s pretty bad-ass. Back when cars were about style and not about compliance to .gov regs and wind tunnel numbers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That’s pretty bad-ass. Back when cars were about style and not about compliance to .gov regs and wind tunnel numbers.

Fact!
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as they don't ruin the Soul they can do whatever...
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you not paid any attention to when Ford decided to call a mother fucking crossover a "Mustang".

It is literally the transvestite Bruce Jenner of the automotive world.  Claiming to be something it is not while insisting swallow any common sense and bend to the marketing will of the fucktards that created it.

Getting assholes in the media to lap it up and push that Ford "Tran-E" off as a Mustang is no different than selling Bruce Jenner as a woman.

Own a fucking crossover if you want.   Just DO NOT call it a fucking Mustang.

Do not care if it is electric.   Do not care if it is fast.

A CROSSOVER IS NOT A FUCKING MUSTANG.

Same dipshit retards that ruined StarWars are fucking over decades of history/tradition.

The car that defined the "Pony Car" got deficated in by the cancel culture club of dipshits.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Much like 4 stroke dirt bikes and watercraft, when that's all you make they are the best sellers.
If the only vehicle Ford made was a Crown Vic,  it would be the best selling Ford, wouldn't it?
Self fullfilling destiny.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
They still make the Sportage?  I can't remember the last time I saw one.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
'Tis nothing compared to what happened when the first minivan came out. Killed off the station wagon which was a top dog back then.
Or fuel injection or the 70s fuel crisis or emissions testing....
I think the auto world will barely notice at all.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fuck CUVs and fuck most SUVs as well.

Sedans or trucks for me.

As long as I can anyhow.
View Quote

Agree. Crossovers are the new minivan, the mom-mobile. Don't care that Porsche makes them now, too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bought a new sedan today, trading in an 11-year old... sedan. Still the best design for a car used as a car.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go drive a Mazda CX5 Signature and get back to me
View Quote

I'm planning on looking at either a Signature or Reserve if they ever get something in gray.
Always liked coupes and my current car is a Civic Si coupe, but I'm getting to where I want better visibility and practicality.
Also, after about 14 years of driving a manual, I want something I can just put in drive and go.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I do not understand why so many Americans that drive into cities are so drawn to big cars for commuting. I have a F150 for side jobs and currently a Fusion for commuting. My next car is going to be a Focuss or Fiesta. More places I can park the better life is.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They still make the Sportage?  I can't remember the last time I saw one.
View Quote

you live in ... FM?

is that a territory?

they are everywhere state side.

and they never stopped making the Sportage, its been in production since 1993

@MrGoodkat
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Everyone else saw the numbers and made that decision 6-8 years ago.
View Quote

I made it 30 years ago. It started when they killed the station wagon.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The automotive world

You mean junk budget cars that people with poor credit get approved financing for?

View Quote

No just people that can't see spending $30K+  on a vehicle
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing I noticed this last round of car shopping, is that an "SUV" is about the only way to buy a car with anything amounting to decent sidewalls on tires anymore.

I guess the way to make modern SUVs look anything close to off-road worthy, is to make the alternative barely even road worthy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One thing I noticed this last round of car shopping, is that an "SUV" is about the only way to buy a car with anything amounting to decent sidewalls on tires anymore.

I guess the way to make modern SUVs look anything close to off-road worthy, is to make the alternative barely even road worthy.
View Quote

tell me about it, 65 aspect ratio tires are disappearing with each new model despite how smooth and quite they are.

tall wall tires are a cheap and easy way to have a good ride, otherwise you need air suspension or better with rubber band tires to have a good ride.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

tell me about it, 65 aspect ratio tires are disappearing with each new model despite how smooth and quite they are.

tall wall tires are a cheap and easy way to have a good ride, otherwise you need air suspension or better with rubber band tires to have a good ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, hopefully this trend will have turned around by the next time I'm in the market in a decade or so.

Sedans, with proper tire/wheel ratios, must rise again.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 4:07:46 AM EDT
[#18]

I'm sure you could make the same argument about sedans as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Only quoted this post because BMW is listed in it....

My take is the Crossover is just another name for a station wagon...just more hip in todays world.  I admit they are not the same but very similar in capabilities with the exception of ride height if you need to jump a curb.  I would prefer the wagon and I would have gotten one of these if they would have imported them in the US.....  

EDIT....I should have read one more post before I hit the quote button...the station wagon / CUV was mentioned....

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/2017-bmw-5-series-touring-g31-launch-films-are-about-wagon-lifestyle_4.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My work parking lot is 99% SUVs; Pilots, RAV4s, Explorers, Highlanders, Tiguans, etc.   They all look the same to me.  Only cars in the lot are my GTI and another guy’s 7-Series BMW.

Only quoted this post because BMW is listed in it....

My take is the Crossover is just another name for a station wagon...just more hip in todays world.  I admit they are not the same but very similar in capabilities with the exception of ride height if you need to jump a curb.  I would prefer the wagon and I would have gotten one of these if they would have imported them in the US.....  

EDIT....I should have read one more post before I hit the quote button...the station wagon / CUV was mentioned....

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/2017-bmw-5-series-touring-g31-launch-films-are-about-wagon-lifestyle_4.jpg

I like BMW wagons A LOT.

This is now a station wagon thread

Link Posted: 10/25/2020 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The way I see them, "crossovers" and CUV's are really just the station-wagons of today.

When I lived in Europe as a kid, station wagons were everywhere, and are ultimately a very practical vehicle.  All the benefits of a sedan, but with extra cargo space.  Crossovers and CUVs are exactly the same thing, IMO.
View Quote

That's a great way of looking at it.

My 1st vehicle was a Saturn Station Wagon.
2nd - Ford Escape
3rd (Current) - Kia Sportage
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:22:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Coffin of what?
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Will there still be a market segment for luxury sedans or will that move to CUV/SUV too?
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Ew.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 6:57:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#25]
For single people who will only have one car, CUVs make a hell of a lot of sense.  Decent gas mileage, large enough for nearly any normal situation that may arise as far as needing passenger or cargo room, not behemoths of the road that are hard to drive/park in a city and some people are afraid to drive (my mom and sister flat out refused to ever drive our old Expedition).  Also a lot cheaper than a full size SUV or truck.  They are the obvious "all around" choice for someone who wants a daily driver that is also at least mostly capable of road trips/hauling/other 'heavier' use.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Meh, who gives a fuck? I envy the person who has this as a concern in their life.

I thought I was going to read that round wheels were banned or something.

Link Posted: 10/25/2020 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks to the government and not the manufacturers. Think about Ford cutting over 350,000 car sales. The Crown Vic was cut because they could not add the next generation of mandatory stability control to the chassis, not because of sales. The EPA and NHTSA are going to end cars and all forms of personal transportation as we know them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

2nd - Ford Escape
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way I see them, "crossovers" and CUV's are really just the station-wagons of today.

When I lived in Europe as a kid, station wagons were everywhere, and are ultimately a very practical vehicle.  All the benefits of a sedan, but with extra cargo space.  Crossovers and CUVs are exactly the same thing, IMO.

2nd - Ford Escape

Unless you pile things up to block visibility, those rarely have more practical cargo space than a good old-fashioned trunk.

The real station wagon replacements are your longer SUVs, with the third row seating. Accomplishes two things, gives you all the cargo space behind the first row of passenger seats that you had in an old wagon, and also adapts to the modern reality of needing to have kids secured in seats. The days of piling 4-6 kids in the back of a wagon are over, and this is a major factor in making such a design less practical for families.

You can't pile six kids in the back of those little SUVs even if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have a SUV and it's really practical to load up for the range, or go fishing, or running car parts between my house and the shop or picking up a washing machine at Lowes but they are so boring to drive. I spend most of my time driving my 1972 Midget, 1991 300zxtt, 2006 TL and 2011 335i.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sedans or trucks for me.

As long as I can anyhow.

I have a SUV and it's really practical to load up for the range, or go fishing, or running car parts between my house and the shop or picking up a washing machine at Lowes but they are so boring to drive. I spend most of my time driving my 1972 Midget, 1991 300zxtt, 2006 TL and 2011 335i.

fellow RWA Midget owner representing!
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Needs subtitles instead of that distracting voiceover.

But yes, Russians take redneck engineering to often delightful extremes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Best station wagon ever.  Period.  Hands down winner.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#32]

hell that's barely half of them
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you make $350 per week we want to approve you.
View Quote

Meh, that's nothing. For several years Harley financing was based on fogging a mirror.

The payment line read, "you'll pay us back, right? Right? Pinkie swear...".
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I am part of the crowd that dislikes Crossovers/CUVs, and likes real SUVs and sedans.

Wife drives a Mazda 6 (I probably put on as many miles as her), and it amazes me how much cargo capacity it has. Drives really nice, doesn't get blown around by the wind, and great MPG (usually around 35 mpg if she keeps it under 80). All in all, a large sedan is very practical for us. If we have more than 3 children we'll get a 'real' SUV that can tow the boat, 4x4, etc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Unless you pile things up to block visibility, those rarely have more practical cargo space than a good old-fashioned trunk.

The real station wagon replacements are your longer SUVs, with the third row seating. Accomplishes two things, gives you all the cargo space behind the first row of passenger seats that you had in an old wagon, and also adapts to the modern reality of needing to have kids secured in seats. The days of piling 4-6 kids in the back of a wagon are over, and this is a major factor in making such a design less practical for families.

You can't pile six kids in the back of those little SUVs even if you wanted to.
View Quote

I much prefer the ability to fold seats down and have a giant rectangles worth of space to work with than trying to wrestle things in and out of a trunk and bungee cording it slightly closed when things only barely fit.

But that’s why I drive a hatchback.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sedans or trucks for me.

As long as I can anyhow.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The automotive world

You mean junk budget cars that people with poor credit get approved financing for?

View Quote
That's "most people."

There's a reason that the cars those people buy generally suck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL I was looking at that new Seltos yesterday, trying to figure out if 245/60R18's would fit in the wheel wells.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Most of the other manufacturer's came to this realization a few years ago.
View Quote

There will never be another Taurus SHO
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The automotive world

View Quote
Well, I have stellar credit and I don't consider myself an idiot when it comes to cars. My wife and I bought a 2019 Sportage, and while I had my reservations at first because its a KIA, it has been a really great car so far. It is completely loaded with features, looks good, has tons of room, gets great gas mileage, and doesn't have a shitty CVT tranny. I don't understand the hate KIA gets here other that I forget sometimes that 90% of GD is millionaires.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Who gives a flying fuck.
Cars are appliances.
Unless you're buying some exotic car or a USA muscle car they do what they do, get you from point A to point B.

If you want something with soul you already own a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I much prefer the ability to fold seats down and have a giant rectangles worth of space to work with than trying to wrestle things in and out of a trunk and bungee cording it slightly closed when things only barely fit.

View Quote

Most sedans have the ability to fold the seats down.

Length of cargo area is the most useful for us. I can drop a rifle into the trunk lengthwise without folding the seats down in the 6, which is all I really need. A separate trunk is also a bit more secure.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you can only have one car, the good old hatchback is hard to beat. But, most families have two cars. The sedan is a more practical design than the CSUV. A lot of it seems to be a race for seat height, either because as other vehicles get taller, drivers want to see more, or just because a nation of fatter and fatter asses finds it hard to climb out of a car seat sitting at car height.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Who gives a flying fuck.
Cars are appliances.
Unless you're buying some exotic car or a USA muscle car they do what they do, get you from point A to point B.

If you want something with soul you already own a motorcycle.
View Quote

A lot of people wrap their identity around their cars.

Check out some of the posts here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Boring-Dad-Car-Commuter-Sedan-Low-mileage-2018-2019-Honda-LX-1-5T-a-good-choice-/5-2377444/
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We are just one major terror attack to push oil back to $100/barrel and bring back small compacts and sedans.
View Quote

$100 a barrel? That's scooter time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Hyundai isn't abandoning their cars, they just did a big refresh on the Sonata and a bigger one on the 2021 Elantra:

Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#47]

The sedan is still king in their home market, I don't think they're going anywhere. But, they have seen the light as to what Americans want. And, maybe more accurately, where the profits are.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The sedan is still king in their home market, I don't think they're going anywhere. But, they have seen the light as to what Americans want. And, maybe more accurately, where the profits are.
View Quote

Well I have probably sold 10 Tucsons for every Sonata.

Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So what you're saying is that Subaru (Forester/Outback/etc.) have been right all along?  LOL
They were making those things in the 80's, man!  They played the long strategy!
View Quote

Those were considered station wagons back then.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Those were considered station wagons back then.
View Quote
There also weren't a lot of options back then if you wanted some kind of small 4x4 passenger vehicle that wasn't an AMC Eagle.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top