Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The metric system is already being used everywhere it makes sense to use it.

Everywhere it isn't, it would be pointlessly disruptive to force it into use.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Listend to pinhead neil degrasse expound about how the meteric system was imbedded in everyday american life, using money as an example-- 1s, 10s, 100s...

Some how he forgot about 2s, 5s, .05, .50, .25...
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I gave the carpet guy at church the dimensions of my room in inches. He said the carpet industry only uses feet+inches.

112 inches converted to that is... 12 × 4 = 48, so 12 × 8 = 96 ... I think I can add another foot to that, so 12 × 9 = 108 ... yeah. Now 112 - 108 = 4 ...

Actually, are you sure we're using metric every place it makes sense? Because 112 inches is 284.5 cm.

2.845 m
28.45 dm
284.5 cm
2,845 mm

See the easy pattern here?

Carpet guy: "What are your room's dimensions?"
Me: "284.5 cm"
Carpet guy: "Oh, we use meters, so I'll write that down as 2.845 meters. Thanks."
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I used to like you.

What's better than base 10?  The correct answer in nothing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The metric system has always been gay, and the gayest thing about it is how completely unrelateble Celsius is.

I used to like you.

What's better than base 10?  The correct answer in nothing.
Tell me know don't know what base-10 means, without telling me you don't know what it means.

Oh, you already did.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are ten fingers on our hands, not 1/8", 3/32" or 13/64".

Yes, metric being base 10 is fundamentally human and intuitive

Metric is better, easier and more precise. 1mm is .04 vs. 1/16 is .065 in decimal.

No, the design of the tool determines how precise a measurement is.  converting between different units is where metric is superior.

There are no irrational numbers in metric like 1/3 either.

LOL, 1/3 IS rational.  you mean no fractions in Metric?  there are, but they are base ten, so we write them as decimals

Standard, or US units are already Base-10!

What is with people who don't understand what Base-10 means?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Listend to pinhead neil degrasse expound about how the meteric system was imbedded in everyday american life, using money as an example-- 1s, 10s, 100s...

Some how he forgot about 2s, 5s, .05, .50, .25...
View Quote

All of those are divisions of 100. 8, 12, 16, 36 and 1760 aren’t.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not what we mean. What we mean by "Base-10" is that SI scaling prefixes are all even powers of 10. This lets you convert between magnitudes by sliding a decimal point around.

You can not do this, for example, when converting between inches, feet, yards, and miles.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone remember back when the NYSE still priced in fractions, using 1/8 of a dollar?

These metric threads are always the same, with the same blow-hard bullshit excuses to justify profound ignorance.
View Quote
If I'm not mistaken, Ag exchange prices are still reported as fractions.

Decimalization makes sense, an every single fraction can be converted to a decimal using simple division.

"But but the 5/16" socket can't be converted to an even decimal number!!1"  So?  The tolerances on an 8mm socket aren't exactly 0 either.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I gave the carpet guy at church the dimensions of my room in inches. He said the carpet industry only uses feet+inches.

112 inches converted to that is... 12 × 4 = 48, so 12 × 8 = 96 ... I think I can add another foot to that, so 12 × 9 = 108 ... yeah. Now 112 - 108 = 4 ...

Actually, are you sure we're using metric every place it makes sense? Because 112 inches is 284.5 cm.

2.845 m
28.45 dm
284.5 cm
2,845 mm

Carpet guy: "Oh, we use meters, so I'll write that down as 2.845 meters. Thanks."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2.845 m
28.45 dm
284.5 cm
2,845 mm

You choose the most retarded way to do that conversion.

112 + 8 = 120 = 10ft    10ft - 8in = 9ft 4in

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stop for a minute and consider that there are multiple ways to do this instead of a single, concise way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Stop for a minute and consider that there are multiple ways to do this instead of a single, concise way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're touting the efficiency of using metric, then contrasting that with silly inefficient way to convert inches to feet/inches.

Multiples of 12 aren't complicated.

ETA: NVM the fact that the tape measure you used would have clearly shown 9ft 4in when you took the measurement.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You're touting the efficiency of using metric, then contrasting that with silly inefficient way to convert inches to feet/inches.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Multiples of 12 are more complicated to scale than multiples of 10. With Arabic numerals, nothing you do or say will ever change that.

Quoted:

ETA: NVM the fact that the tape measure you used would have clearly shown 9ft 4in when you took the measurement.

I want you to stop and ask yourself a question:

Why do U.S. tape measures call out both instead of just one?

EDIT: I did not take the tape measure with me to church.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
was developed by commie Eurofags during the French Revolution.

View Quote

you're supposed say Him/Her!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.  F is based on muh American feels.

As someone who lives outside of the USA, I am used to C being part of muh foreigner feels.  But then I also know that 0C is freezing and that anything below that is fuck off cold.

If F was truly based on muh feels, then the reference points would actually mean something.  Like 23C (standard office temperature on the dial) would be either 0F or 100F.  Or the standard body temp (37C) would be 100F, not 98.6F.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The metric system has always been gay, and the gayest thing about it is how completely unrelateble Celsius is.

It's just 100 divisions (centigrade) between the temperature water freezes and the temperature water boils.

Fahrenheit is just one hundred degrees in the range that humans can live in, but humans live beyond the extremes. It's really a stupid scale based more in feeling than some repeatable scientific basis.

As someone who lives outside of the USA, I am used to C being part of muh foreigner feels.  But then I also know that 0C is freezing and that anything below that is fuck off cold.

If F was truly based on muh feels, then the reference points would actually mean something.  Like 23C (standard office temperature on the dial) would be either 0F or 100F.  Or the standard body temp (37C) would be 100F, not 98.6F.
Don't you actually understand what 0 Fahrenheit is based off?  Fahrenheit

With precision 1.8 times greater than using fractional Celsius degrees, and common outside temps between 0 and 100, it has become a very easy system for humans to relate to.  1 degree F is a subtle but noticeable change.

I have seen fans of Celsius (for everyday stuff) claim that humans can't discern a change of less than 1 degree C, but that's nonsense.  Thermostats which use C commonly increment their displays by half degrees to compensate for the loss of precision.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Standard fans, quick, tell me what’s bigger, 1/4”, 3/32nds 5/64ths or .244”?

Metric fans, please tell me which is bigger, 8mm 11mm, 6.28mm 12.54mm?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thermostats which use C commonly increment their displays by half degrees to compensate for the loss of precision.
View Quote

Despite my vocal support for the system, I can confirm that this is how my Honeywell thermostat works.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You get more wine with the metric system too. .

In the US you typically get a 5 or 6oz pour as a “glass” of wine. In Europe you get 250ml.

For those that don’t want to do the maths: US 4-5 glasses per bottle, Europe 3 glasses per bottle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, for any metric holdouts you get more beer with imperial pints.

WHICH ARE THE ONLY PINT GLASSES ALLOWED IN MY HOUSE

You get more wine with the metric system too. .

In the US you typically get a 5 or 6oz pour as a “glass” of wine. In Europe you get 250ml.

For those that don’t want to do the maths: US 4-5 glasses per bottle, Europe 3 glasses per bottle.

... and the 250ml pour is likely far cheaper, too.

A glass of wine is usually no more than around 6 or 7 bucks, even cheaper in many areas. Good luck finding a restaurant in the U.S. where the cheapest glass isn't 7 or 8.

Yet, for some reason, American restaurants love to use comically large wine glasses.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There's a standard used for stream gaging where the depth is measured from the wading rod that is divided in feet and 10ths, the 100th of a foot is visually estimated in units of 0.02 ft.

If it's close to half if it's a little less than half it called 0.4, if it's a little more than half it's 0.6 if it's a little more than zero it's 0.2 and if it's a little less than the next division it's 0.8.

And staff plates are a while different process:

https://civilseek.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/levelling-staff.jpg

View Quote
Wow!  It's almost like a Base-10 system which is "standard" can in fact display in decimals!

Sometimes I think that the "metric is base-10 and betterer!" people simply fail to understand math.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wow!  It's almost like a Base-10 system which is "standard" can in fact display in decimals!

Sometimes I think that the "metric is base-10 and betterer!" people simply fail to understand math.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thankfully the decimal system exists making 15.1 through 19.9 possible to use for describing the temp. Perhaps doing 0.5 C increments would work so you could remember 16.5C is comfortable for you. It's like saying "60-75 degrees is comfortable depending on the weather.' I'm not Ubering anywhere so I'm probably pro-liberal because I've used metric enough to see the simplicity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aside from 0C and 100C, it is odd. Fahrenheit has more resolution between the numbers. 15C and 20C is a pretty big difference. In the end, it's just numbers to describe the phenomena of temperature, but Metric and Celsius should be alien to Americans. The people here who push it tend to be uber-liberal and pro-government, just my observation.

Thankfully the decimal system exists making 15.1 through 19.9 possible to use for describing the temp. Perhaps doing 0.5 C increments would work so you could remember 16.5C is comfortable for you. It's like saying "60-75 degrees is comfortable depending on the weather.' I'm not Ubering anywhere so I'm probably pro-liberal because I've used metric enough to see the simplicity.
Sure, we can use 16.5C or we can use what we are used to using and works perfectly well as say 62F.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Show me any reason to not dismiss this question as an absurd strawman. All units of measure are arbitrary. Who has ever claimed otherwise?
View Quote
If they are all arbitrary, then why do some people claim that 1) metric is better at everything, and 2) we need to switch just because?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sae is a base2 system, same as typically used in computer science.  It has it's benefits and drawbacks.

At the time, it made a lot of sense, but I agree metric is easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are ten fingers on our hands, not 1/8", 3/32" or 13/64".

Metric is better, easier and more precise. 1mm is .04 vs. 1/16 is .065 in decimal.

There are no irrational numbers in metric like 1/3 either.

Sae is a base2 system, same as typically used in computer science.  It has it's benefits and drawbacks.

At the time, it made a lot of sense, but I agree metric is easier.
Base-2, like binary?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If they are all arbitrary, then why do some people claim that 1) metric is better at everything, and 2) we need to switch just because?
View Quote

1. No, metric isn't better at everything. Temperature is possibly superior in customary.

2. Metric is simpler to use in many cases and in many cases, switching can have benefits because of this.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

With precision 1.8 times greater than using fractional Celsius degrees, and common outside temps between 0 and 100, it has become a very easy system for humans to relate to.  1 degree F is a subtle but noticeable change.

I have seen fans of Celsius (for everyday stuff) claim that humans can't discern a change of less than 1 degree C, but that's nonsense.  Thermostats which use C commonly increment their displays by half degrees to compensate for the loss of precision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just 100 divisions (centigrade) between the temperature water freezes and the temperature water boils.

Fahrenheit is just one hundred degrees in the range that humans can live in, but humans live beyond the extremes. It's really a stupid scale based more in feeling than some repeatable scientific basis.

Here it is.

I was waiting for this nonsense.

And right after someone tries to pretend feet plus inches isn't any more complicated than centimeters.

So... much... win.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

1. No, metric isn't better at everything. Temperature is possibly superior in customary.

2. Metric is simpler to use in many cases and in many cases, switching can have benefits because of this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Temperature in Fahrenheit is only superior when measuring ambient temperature as it relates to human comfort. For anything else, from freezing to cooking to "how hot did this barrel get?" celsius is just better.

Fahrenheit is nice in that 0 degrees equals "too fucking cold to be outside, fuck that," and 100 degrees equals "too fucking hot to be outside. Fuck that."
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Multiples of 12 are more complicated to scale than multiples of 10. With Arabic numerals, nothing you do or say will ever change that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Total inches are useful for putting a center every X inches. And I never argued against base 10 anyways.

Why would you have to bring the tape measure to church? We've established that tape measures read out both ft/in and total in.  So right above "112in" or "112" was "4in" or "4" and literally 4in away was the designator "9ft"
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The importance of this observation seems to be lost on many.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using a system of 10s is easier because our numerical system is fundamentally divided into a sequence of 10s.

The importance of this observation seems to be lost on many.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Base 12 systems have been in operation in Europe since the 700s or so and nobody seemed to complain, even illiterate peasants. A system where you can easily divide up money (or other things) into many different whole units has it's distinct advantages.

Take a dollar and divide it into three. Take an old British shilling and divide it into three.

Each system has it's advantages, but the main advantage of a base 10 systems seems to be "it's so you retards can count on your fingers".

Lindybeige did an interesting video on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2paSGQRwvo&t=3067s
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Total inches are useful for putting a center every X inches. And I never argued against base 10 anyways.

Why would you have to bring the tape measure to church? We've established that tape measures read out both ft/in and total in.  So right above "112in" or "112" was "4in" or "4" and literally 4in away was the designator "9ft"
View Quote

The tape measure lists both because conversion between them is non-intuitive.

Metric tape measures only list one because the ability to convert between magnitudes has been built into the system. It is as easy as moving a decimal.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Here it is.

And right after someone tries to pretend feet plus inches isn't any more complicated than centimeters.

So... much... win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here it is.

So... much... win.

Feet and inches is about as complicated as a multiplication table.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here it is.

So... much... win.

But using 1/2 a degree Celsius is proof of a flawed system?

Really?

These threads are always illustrations of absurdities.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Base 12 systems have been in operation in Europe since the 700s or so and nobody seemed to complain, even illiterate peasants. A system where you can easily divide up money (or other things) into many different whole units has it's distinct advantages.

Take a dollar and divide it into three. Take an old British shilling and divide it into three.

Each system has it's advantages, but the main advantage of a base 10 systems seems to be "it's so you retards can count on your fingers".

Lindybeige did an interesting video on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2paSGQRwvo&t=3067s
View Quote

The observation is lost on you as well.

Metric lets me take measurements and do math with them directly without dealing with fractions. And if I need to scale magnitude, I just move a decimal point.

EDIT: And when I want to measure out the result, I can also do that without any intermediate calculation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's not what we mean. What we mean by "Base-10" is that SI scaling prefixes are all even powers of 10. This lets you convert between magnitudes by sliding a decimal point around.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/cRgP4.jpg

You can not do this, for example, when converting between inches, feet, yards, and miles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/cRgP4.jpg

Then "they" are using the term incorrectly.

I agree that scaling units using metric is easy.  For most reasonably intelligent people, converting those other units is also pretty easy and commonplace.

If the measurement is in miles, conventional usage is to use miles and a couple decimal points in order to establish reasonable accuracy.  No one asks how far is it to the nearest town and gets a response like 4 miles, 827 yards, 2 feet and 7 inches, when 4.47 miles will suffice.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Here it is.

So... much... win.
View Quote
Which part was nonsense?  Honest question.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Temperature in Fahrenheit is only superior when measuring ambient temperature as it relates to human comfort. For anything else, from freezing to cooking to "how hot did this barrel get?" celsius is just better.

Fahrenheit is nice in that 0 degrees equals "too fucking cold to be outside, fuck that," and 100 degrees equals "too fucking hot to be outside. Fuck that."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK so clearly you didn't think my post was THAT much nonsense.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Really?

View Quote
Who said that?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread will eventually degenerate into a 9mm versus .45 thread.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This thread will eventually degenerate into a 9mm versus .45 thread.
View Quote

10mm
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I interest you in specific heats measured in kW/lbm-°F?

And the problem is?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Who said that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Who said that?

I read that as the implication. I may have misread it out of anticipation, as it comes up in every one of these threads like that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here it is.

So... much... win.

Really?

I'm not the Celsius guy.

And I've never argued that the metric system is flawed. I don't think it is.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I read that as the implication. I may have misread it out of anticipation, as it comes up in every one of these threads like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Who said that?

I certainly don't believe that the inclusion of decimal Celsius degrees in thermostats is proof or evidence that it is inferior.  I do believe that it's inclusion is evidence of one of two things.  Possibly both.

1) Celsius degrees are slightly too coarse for adjustments suiting human climate preferences or;
2) Evidence that the controllers of thermostats are set to suitable graduations of temperature, and the program running on the board simply assigns a F and a C display value to each internal value in some sort of predetermined conversion.

Since both systems are base-10, it goes without saying that both units are decimalized when the precision is necessary.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The mile was literally developed for the purpose of measuring distance based on foot marches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Metric calculations are far easier.

Any of you guys do land navigation or orienteering?

I measure all my shooting distances in meters so that I can coincide all my shooting distances on a grid map.

I know that if my targets are half a klick and 35 from me, exactly where that would be on a map. If I need to scale up or divide down by 10, it's easy.

How many yards are there in a mile? What about 2 miles? Or 3 miles? There are 1000 meters in a kilometer. Literally every unit of measurement in the metric system is divisible by tens.

There is literally no reason not to use it aside from being stubborn.

I also think that we should convert over to using the 24 hour clock. Why would you start over again at noon?

Land nav is extremely easy with miles and feet. The mile was literally developed based on the human walking pace. Your problem is your map is metric.

What's your pace for a km? A mile/half mile?

Last I checked, I had an even pace about 690 paces per kilometer, or 69 paces per 100 m.

See how easy that is mathematically?

How many feet are in a mile or three miles? I need a calculator to figure that out.

The good thing about the metric system as you are using one unit of measurement for the entire system. You don't need to convert anything.

With emperial, you have inches, feet, yards, miles, and they are each set with different arbitrary base numbers.  Our entire numerical system is based in units of tens. We start over every 10 digits. 22, 32, 42, etc.

No rational person would use miles and feet for land navigation because there is no advantage to doing so. I wouldn't want to have to bust out a calculator to figure out how far I have to go, or how far I've already traveled.

The mile was literally developed for the purpose of measuring distance based on foot marches.
Damnit, I hate when I learn something on ARFCOM.  It just seems.......wrong.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Standard fans, quick, tell me what’s bigger, 1/4”, 3/32nds 5/64ths or .244”?

Metric fans, please tell me which is bigger, 8mm 11mm, 6.28mm 12.54mm?
View Quote

That was stupid easy but I can't help it. Machinist....
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I certainly don't believe that the inclusion of decimal Celsius degrees in thermostats is proof or evidence that it is inferior.  I do believe that it's inclusion is evidence of one of two things.  Possibly both.

1) Celsius degrees are slightly too coarse for adjustments suiting human climate preferences or;
2) Evidence that the controllers of thermostats are set to suitable graduations of temperature, and the program running on the board simply assigns a F and a C display value to each internal value in some sort of predetermined conversion.

Since both systems are base-10, it goes without saying that both units are decimalized when the precision is necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Who said that?

I don't recall ever seeing a half degree celsius options on any thermostat in a metric country, my suspicion is it exists in the U.S. because the "back end" is Fahrenheit.

I personally find it really hard to believe those who claim they can detect a one degree Fahrenheit change in temperature but that's a different subject. Regardless, using half degrees is perfectly functional, as is half liters or half gallons or half acres.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Metric calculations are far easier.

Any of you guys do land navigation or orienteering?

I measure all my shooting distances in meters so that I can coincide all my shooting distances on a grid map.

I know that if my targets are half a klick and 35 from me, exactly where that would be on a map. If I need to scale up or divide down by 10, it's easy.

How many yards are there in a mile? What about 2 miles? Or 3 miles? There are 1000 meters in a kilometer. Literally every unit of measurement in the metric system is divisible by tens.

There is literally no reason not to use it aside from being stubborn.

I also think that we should convert over to using the 24 hour clock. Why would you start over again at noon?

Land nav is extremely easy with miles and feet. The mile was literally developed based on the human walking pace. Your problem is your map is metric.

What's your pace for a km? A mile/half mile?

Last I checked, I had an even pace about 690 paces per kilometer, or 69 paces per 100 m.

See how easy that is mathematically?

How many feet are in a mile or three miles? I need a calculator to figure that out.

The good thing about the metric system as you are using one unit of measurement for the entire system. You don't need to convert anything.

With emperial, you have inches, feet, yards, miles, and they are each set with different arbitrary base numbers.  Our entire numerical system is based in units of tens. We start over every 10 digits. 22, 32, 42, etc.

No rational person would use miles and feet for land navigation because there is no advantage to doing so. I wouldn't want to have to bust out a calculator to figure out how far I have to go, or how far I've already traveled.

You want to really bake your noodle, think about what the "mil" at the root of mile means, them wonder why it took you that long to figure out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Who said that?

The controller could be designed to be within .1°C or .1°F for that matter.  The problem is how often you cycle it and how far up do you go.  Longer runs are better for the equipment and efficiency. Letting it cycle about 1°C or 2°F is a reasonably compromise between cycling too often and maintaining a constant temperature.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nearly every new vehicle on the road is built with MM size fasteners. Many can be broken down quite a ways with a 10mm socket & wrench.

I rarely use a SAE tools these days.
View Quote

Modern Aviation is all imperial, except for Airbus and Russian aircraft.  Airbus will use imperial where they are required to, and metric everywhere else.  The Russians stick to straight metric.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Don't tell me this thread is already dead.

We still haven't talked about how navigation should be done entirely in radians.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I never understood why foreign manufacturers will produce measurements for large materials in millimeters.

Length" 1250mm
Width" 1575mm
Height: 75mm

Like fine, Jon....will that fit in a 1536/32nd" compartment?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I never understood why foreign manufacturers will produce measurements for large materials in millimeters.

Length" 1250mm
Width" 1575mm
Height: 75mm

Like fine, Jon....will that fit in a 1536/32nd" compartment?
View Quote

This might surprise you, but the U.S. is basically alone in using centimeters. Instead, only meters and millimeters are used.

I personally find centimeters to work quite well for wood working.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top