Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
That was the one nice thing about heating with wood.

It was a damn workout...multiple times.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I read Sandow's book last night.

It was interesting, he had a lot of stuff figured out that body builders today still use.

He would fit right in to the modern fitness industry. He shilled a few of his own inventions, and the whole second half of the book is him telling stories..... he comes off as a braggart.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Having some groin pain. It almost feels like it’s coming from my right nut, but actually isn’t. It extends upward, to basically where my thigh meets my pelvis, I guess is the best way to describe it. The same thing happened last year when I was still doing SL5x5 and squatting 3 days a week. Took a couple weeks off lifting altogether and it seemed to go away on its own and I was fine when I started back up. I think it was on my left side that time. Haven’t had the pain again until now. It becomes aggravated from squats and deads. I did deadlifts today and it’s killing me now. Gonna take a couple weeks off.

Anyone have a pain like that? What can I do help it go away, and also prevent it from happening again?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]
A friend of mine had pain that he thought was a hernia, lots of pain radiating out from the groin area.

The urologist checked him out and said it wasn't anything like a hernia on that part of the body.

Ended up being a herniated and/or slipped disc in his back causing nerve pain.

If it happens when you are squatting a lot maybe your hips are tightening up a lot?

My hips are already extremely tight, and squatting makes them worse, I have to work on them all the time with a foam roller.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Half-Breed:
Having some groin pain. It almost feels like it’s coming from my right nut, but actually isn’t. It extends upward, to basically where my thigh meets my pelvis, I guess is the best way to describe it. The same thing happened last year when I was still doing SL5x5 and squatting 3 days a week. Took a couple weeks off lifting altogether and it seemed to go away on its own and I was fine when I started back up. I think it was on my left side that time. Haven’t had the pain again until now. It becomes aggravated from squats and deads. I did deadlifts today and it’s killing me now. Gonna take a couple weeks off.

Anyone have a pain like that? What can I do help it go away, and also prevent it from happening again?
View Quote

I am finding out that it takes a lot longer to recover from injuries than it used too. When I can no longer feel any discomfort I wait another week before directly hitting that muscle. Then I work my way back up starting at 50% or so.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ll have to look into some stretches or something. My GF does have foam rollers, so I can use those if need be.

Is there a recommended deload percentage when taking time off? The official SL5x5 app offers an automatic deload option when it knew you didn’t log any lifts for at least a week or two. I think when I took 2 weeks off, it recommended deloading like 20%. I already emailed the maker of the 5/3/1 app I’m using and they said it doesn’t do that. But I can lower the weights manually across the board within the app settings.

Does 10% deload, per week off, sound about right or nah?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ll have to look into some stretches or something. My GF does have foam rollers, so I can use those if need be.

Is there a recommended deload percentage when taking time off? The official SL5x5 app offers an automatic deload option when it knew you didn’t log any lifts for at least a week or two. I think when I took 2 weeks off, it recommended deloading like 20%. I already emailed the maker of the 5/3/1 app I’m using and they said it doesn’t do that. But I can lower the weights manually across the board within the app settings.

View Quote

When I take a couple weeks off that's not injury related I'll do full body 5x5 strong lifts style for the same number of weeks I took off starting at 50% and adding weight pretty aggressively until it's to much volume for me to complete then I switch back to 531.

I honestly don't know what's recommended by the pros though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll have to look into some stretches or something. My GF does have foam rollers, so I can use those if need be.

Is there a recommended deload percentage when taking time off? The official SL5x5 app offers an automatic deload option when it knew you didn't log any lifts for at least a week or two. I think when I took 2 weeks off, it recommended deloading like 20%. I already emailed the maker of the 5/3/1 app I'm using and they said it doesn't do that. But I can lower the weights manually across the board within the app settings.

View Quote
If you're only taking two weeks off, I wouldn't deload at all. You're not going to lose much if any strength in that period. If it's longer, or for an injury, I usually devote a week to working each exercise up to a top set of 3-5 to figure out where you should restart at. I think flat %'s off is just too general to be useful.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 6:39:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Half-Breed] [#11]
Sounds good, thanks guys. I’ll see how I feel after 1 week off and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

100% deload for 4 years....
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SCW:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SCW:

Even just skipping yesterday’s workout was admittedly heavenly, just for the time saved. I feel like I’m on a slippery slope.

Nah, I’ll jump back in when I’m feeling right.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By grady:
Finally getting close to where I was before shit fell apart.

485x5 on deadlifts tonight.

Next week will be 5 wheels.  I’m putting it in here now to lock myself in to hit it instead of pussing out.
View Quote

Well, I didn’t puss out.

On top of that, in the back of my head I heard Kaik saying that 495 is silly. So I slapped on the 2.5s and I got my 500x5.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Well, I didn’t puss out.

On top of that, in the back of my head I heard Kaik saying that 495 is silly. So I slapped on the 2.5s and I got my 500x5.

View Quote

Damn son. Good work.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Well, I didn’t puss out.

View All Quotes

Next week will be 5 wheels.  I’m putting it in here now to lock myself in to hit it instead of pussing out.

Well, I didn’t puss out.

Fuck yeah, get some!
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Well, I didn’t puss out.

View Quote

Boom!
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Well, I didn’t puss out.

View All Quotes

Well, I didn’t puss out.

Nice, good job.

I'm pulling right now. I'm just doing 3 sets of 4 with 455. I took last week off so just taking it easy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Well, I didn’t puss out.

View Quote

Hell yeah
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Well, I didn’t puss out.

View All Quotes

Well, I didn’t puss out.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:42:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#21]
Last Tuesday we did "conditioning" with squats. Worked our way up to 465 for a single, then dropped down and hit 275 x30 followed by a 50 rep drop set on the leg press.

There were no DOMS. I have been sore since since I walked out of the gym, nearly immobile Friday morning, and today feels like my "normal" sore as fuck I usually experience on Thursday. I don't know why we come up with these stupid ideas.

Well, I didn’t puss out.

View Quote

Hell yeah man. That's fucking solid!
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:57:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#22]
Originally Posted By Thor:
Last Tuesday we did "conditioning" with squats. Worked our way up to 465 for a single, then dropped down and hit 275 x30 followed by a 50 rep drop set on the leg press.

There were no DOMS. I have been sore since since I walked out of the gym, nearly immobile Friday morning, and today feels like my "normal" sore as fuck I usually experience on Thursday. I don't know why we come up with these stupid ideas.

View All Quotes

]

Well, I didn’t puss out.

Dummy
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#23]
My last leg day was Aug 25th.... Let's see what happens tonight.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Worked up to 275 for 3x10. Didn't do much else but the squats felt fine. I've got a twinge of tendonitis in my left elbow that made it painful.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Just reading about the high reps you guys do…

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:25:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#26]

https://www.computerbase.de/forum/attachments/i-am-too-old-for-this-shit-gif.980060/
View Quote

You'd have really loved our covid shutdown workouts then. Got up to 600 lunges one day before we decided that was enough. Had to save some energy for jogging while pulling the truck around the block.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#27]

You'd have really loved our covid shutdown workouts then. Got up to 600 lunges one day before we decided that was enough. Had to save some energy for jogging while pulling the truck around the block.
View All Quotes

https://www.computerbase.de/forum/attachments/i-am-too-old-for-this-shit-gif.980060/

Meanwhile I've over here hitting a top set of 5ish in 20 minutes, then having to talk myself into some triples or something easy because I don't want to be sore stacking wall forms the next day.

High volume murders me now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I got a jump rope a couple of weeks ago to try it for cardio. I have finally succeeded in jumping the rope. Hopefully this will be my solution for cardio.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
I got a jump rope a couple of weeks ago to try it for cardio. I have finally succeeded in jumping the rope. Hopefully this will be my solution for cardio.
View Quote

Just be careful you don't piss off your achilles tendon.

For my conditioning today I took the small child outside, put her in a garden wagon then pushed her up the hill.

Walked the wagon down the hill, put her on my back and ran back up the hill.

That was one set. Rest a bit, then do 4 more sets. The first two felt easy, the last one sucked.

I've been trying to make conditioning more varied and more like play so I don't completely hate every second of it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Just be careful you don't piss off your achilles tendon.

For my conditioning today I took the small child outside, put her in a garden wagon then pushed her up the hill.

Walked the wagon down the hill, put her on my back and ran back up the hill.

That was one set. Rest a bit, then do 4 more sets. The first two felt easy, the last one sucked.

I've been trying to make conditioning more varied and more like play so I don't completely hate every second of it.
View Quote

I'm more worried about making the issue with my foot worse. It's not bothering me now, my calf is just a little tight.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

That sounds awful.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

That sounds awful.
View Quote

I'm good now. Doing squats yesterday finally worked out the last bit of soreness from last week.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 5:43:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNGUY148] [#33]
I teach quarterly safety meetings at work, there's 12 of them mostly after working hours at locations up to 3 hours from home. That really gets into my gym time so I haven't lifted consistently in a couple weeks. I love the sweet sweet OT though, this is the first management hourly job that I've had.

Last night I did bench, 5x6@225. I feel it already
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Pulled 455 for 2 sets of 5 then 1 set of 4. Then a few sets of pullups and T-bar rows.

It's been a couple weeks since I've done a shoulder workout so I think I'm due for one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Pulled 455 for 2 sets of 5 then 1 set of 4. Then a few sets of pullups and T-bar rows.

It's been a couple weeks since I've done a shoulder workout so I think I'm due for one.
View Quote

I have to do chins/pull-ups again. I haven’t done them in months.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:42:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#36]

View All Quotes

I do chinups all the time. Rows are where I slack off for months at a time, which is a shame because they are great for you.

We poured a floor last spring and we were down in the hole with no egress. I walked over to the corner, jumped up, grabbed the top of the wall and pulled myself up and over.

The other guy in the whole was like "Well, what the fuck, that was a real neat trick, but now I'm stuck down here".

I had to find a ladder for him. Chinups and pullups to me just seem to translate to a lot of what I need to be doing daily, pulling at strange angles towards my chest.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Best place to buy decent protein and creatine online?
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

I got a pull-up bar/dip/set for my wife for Christmas. It's right next to the kitchen table.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 3:22:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#39]
View Quote

Best deal I can find consistently is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 10 lb. bag on Amazon. Good discount with auto ship.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GIQT2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_80QDNX47TPMZEC4XTYPD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 3:36:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buzz69] [#40]

Best deal I can find consistently is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 10 lb. bag on Amazon. Good discount with auto ship.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GIQT2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_80QDNX47TPMZEC4XTYPD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
View All Quotes

Costco has the 5lb bag on sale for ~$50 or $55 (can't remember) every couple of months.

https://www.costco.com/optimum-nutrition-gold-standard-100%25-whey-protein%2c-80-servings.product.100428750.html
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Walmart in-store, $16/2# competes with online stores.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Trained alone yesterday and finished early. Decided to jump on the treadmill for some cardio. Ran 1/2 mile at 12mph, or a 5min mile pace. I think I'm gonna have to work on hitting the whole mile.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Damn, 2 weeks of legs in a row. My pants won't fix tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#44]
If “get both” isn’t an option, what should one get for a general cardio/warmup scenario: Fan/assault bike or a rower?

I’m leaning toward the bike, just for sake of saving a little space.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#45]
If “get both” isn’t an option, what should one get for a general cardio/warmup scenario: Fan/assault bike or a rower?

View Quote

The rower will get leaned up against the wall pretty easy. I'm a huge proponent of ergs, get that.

I need to get a new computer for mine. </3
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Getting close to where I was a year ago. Tonight was supposed to be 315x5 for 3 sets on bench but I couldn’t hit it. I got 4s across.

I’ll try again next week but I might have to look at switching to triples and seeing how long I can run that out while still adding weight.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#47]
My new bench goal is 5x10 at 225. I've done 12 reps once before and 10 reps many times but that zaps the next sets.

Hit 5x7 tonight,  the last reps on set 4 and 5 were hitting failure.

I cleared some land yesterday, fell, bucked and loaded several large oaks and probably 20 twelve inch ones. Legs and back are smoked today.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Getting close to where I was a year ago. Tonight was supposed to be 315x5 for 3 sets on bench but I couldn’t hit it. I got 4s across.

I’ll try again next week but I might have to look at switching to triples and seeing how long I can run that out while still adding weight.
View Quote

Strong AF
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

I plan on getting an exercise bike and a flat handle road bike in the next year or two. I have time constraints right now but hopefully life will slow down just a bit in the future.

I used to ride a lot, 100 miles a week on the road at times and mtn on weekends. I don't want to get back to that level but some cardio would go a long way.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:

I plan on getting an exercise bike and a flat handle road bike in the next year or two. I have time constraints right now but hopefully life will slow down just a bit in the future.

I used to ride a lot, 100 miles a week on the road at times and mtn on weekends. I don't want to get back to that level but some cardio would go a long way.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:

I hate conditioning and haven’t done any in years, but at my age I probably need to get serious about reintroducing it.

Long steady cardio of any kind bores me to tears, so I’m keeping an eye on Craigslist for a deal on a Prowler or similar sled.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top