Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
At least it didn’t get stuck under a bridge.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder how many packs they could put on a B-52
View Quote

Based on the number of pallet positions on a BUFF I’d guess roughly zero.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#3]
holy shit.

any cargo aircraft can launch cruise missiles

that will leave a mark on the chinese and russian strategy
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder how many packs they could put on a B-52

LOL
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems like a waste of money?

Who are the countries that could take out so many of our other planes we would be forced to use these? Those countries have nuclear weapons.

If this allows us to replace more expensive planes, which I seriously doubt will happen, then cool idea.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I bet the range is reduced significantly since the missile won't have the velocity of the carrier aircraft to start with.

Quoted:
With short take-off and landing capabilities of the C130 platform that leaves the possibility of diffused refuel/rearm points almost anywhere
View Quote

Nice for survivable second strike
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Too bad we put so many hours on the C-17 fleet with the Middle East conflicts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well I bet the range is reduced significantly since the missile won't have the velocity of the carrier aircraft to start with.

Nice for survivable second strike
View Quote

It gets a nice speed boost on the way down while the engine spools up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It gets a nice speed boost on the way down while the engine spools up.
View Quote

They don't exactly have large surfaces to translate their velocity... it's kind of a crossrange situation but in the vertical.

Do they fly NOE the whole way or do they also have to climb back the lost alt further dropping range?
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#14]
READ THE ARTICLE
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#15]
that's fucking cool
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
With short take-off and landing capabilities of the C130 platform that leaves the possibility of diffused refuel/rearm points almost anywhere
View Quote
And the enemy will have to treat every random cargo plane as a potential missile launch threat.  Even if they never build this, making the commies of the world worry about us building it may be a big payoff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And the enemy will have to treat every random cargo plane as a potential missile launch threat.  Even if they never build this, making the commies of the world worry about us building it may be a big payoff.
View Quote

What happens when the Chicoms and Russians follow suit?
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
READ THE ARTICLE
View Quote

GD is for shitposting and meme trafficking
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]
That is slick!
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The missing piece is the method used to get altitude, heading, lat-long, and maybe winds aloft information to the pallet without tieing into the carry airplane.

For these tests, that can be bypassed by understanding the initial error during initialization before the store separates from the pallet, and accepting the risk.  I don't foresee that for go to war hardware.

However, if that setup can be accomplished as the pallet is extracted, the program cost is reduced by hundreds of millions, probably a billion or two by eliminating hardware mods and unique software for carry in each different airplane.  The investment to make these independent of carry airplane is worthwhile.

Cruising far enough may give sufficient time for navigation to sort itself out, too.

I like the idea.
View Quote

We already have GPS re-transmitters in the cargo bay for use with JPADS, it’s not much of a trick to use them for GPS guided weapons as well. We could always run an umbilical to give power/nav data from the carry aircraft too, in a production ready version.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Which then begs the question, "how many of these will fit in a C-5?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't they once launch an ICBM from a C-5 Galaxy?
Yes
Good luck pressing C-5's into mission critical time sensitive roles.

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
READ THE ARTICLE

https://c.tenor.com/0PD9TuyZLn4AAAAC/spongebob-how-many-times-do-we-need-to-teach-you.gif

GD is for shitposting and meme trafficking

OP does not suffer fools
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There's a real-life "Tony Stark" out there from looking at that video.
View Quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought something like that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We already have GPS re-transmitters in the cargo bay for use with JPADS, it’s not much of a trick to use them for GPS guided weapons as well. We could always run an umbilical to give power/nav data from the carry aircraft too, in a production ready version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The missing piece is the method used to get altitude, heading, lat-long, and maybe winds aloft information to the pallet without tieing into the carry airplane.

For these tests, that can be bypassed by understanding the initial error during initialization before the store separates from the pallet, and accepting the risk.  I don't foresee that for go to war hardware.

However, if that setup can be accomplished as the pallet is extracted, the program cost is reduced by hundreds of millions, probably a billion or two by eliminating hardware mods and unique software for carry in each different airplane.  The investment to make these independent of carry airplane is worthwhile.

Cruising far enough may give sufficient time for navigation to sort itself out, too.

I like the idea.

HIMARS already use the hot panel modification to keep their fire control nav up to date while in flight.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#25]
We've been doing this for quite some time.

Sometime back in the 60's or 70's they ran a test up at Hill AFB where they shoved a Minuteman missile out of the back of a cargo plane.

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pretty fucking cool.  But with our present marxist regime they would be more likely to drop those on "white supremacist militia groups" in the US than on any enemy.
View Quote

And you actually believe 'they' would do that?

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Isn’t this what they were doing in Cameron’s Avatar?
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I've thought more than once while drinking, that they should backward mount pylons of AMRAAMs on the spare pylon spots on the Herc. Come and get me, fighters!

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've thought more than once while drinking, that they should backward mount pylons of AMRAAMs on the spare pylon spots on the Herc. Come and get me, fighters!

View Quote
I don't recommend launching them from inside the aircraft.

You could probably airdrop a NASAM's though if you could feed it enough info during the drop. I'll be more than happy to come up with an RDT&E estimate for you for that if you want to throw me some money via an OTA.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 3:35:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Meh, the C-5 did this with a Minuteman back in the 70's...
View Quote

A Minute Man missile is not a cruise missile, it's an intercontinental ballistic missile.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 3:35:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Calm down and get back on your meds there chief.
View Quote

You're the one with the issues bucko.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 3:38:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We've been doing this for quite some time.
Sometime back in the 60's or 70's they ran a test up at Hill AFB where they shoved a Minuteman missile out of the back of a cargo plane.
Good stuff.
View Quote

A Minuteman missile is not a cruise missile.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 4:13:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Looks like a fairly cheap method to go through a lot of very expensive cruise missiles.

2 other things come to mind - if we are seeing this now, is it already deployed.  Will they also adapt it to drones with smart bombs.  I can imagine using a mothership to get drones deployed would increase their range - but that way most of the range could be the return trip
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looks like a fairly cheap method to go through a lot of very expensive cruise missiles.

2 other things come to mind - if we are seeing this now, is it already deployed.  Will they also adapt it to drones with smart bombs.  I can imagine using a mothership to get drones deployed would increase their range - but that way most of the range could be the return trip
View Quote

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43027/c-130-successfully-snatches-gremlins-drone-out-of-mid-air
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Pretty fucking cool.  But with our present marxist regime they would be more likely to drop those on "white supremacist militia groups" in the US than on any enemy.
View Quote

IMHO, at this point, it's all about feeding the monster which is the military industrial complex - getting incredibly wealthy and powerful people more money/power with which to subjugate the world.

I'd pray there's never another war, but I fear a big one is just around the corner and CONUS/the US citizenry will not escape serious consequences of "our leaders'" folly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I wonder if we can/will sell this technology to our allies that long ago gave up on having strategic bombers because they are so expensive, but still have cargo aircraft because they are so useful.  Should give ht echinese and russians kittens when every shitty country around the world can now start slinging cruise missiles from wherever they please.
View Quote
The article linked above explicitly mentions this. They also mentioned several European countries.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Does this mean USAF will suddenly give a shit about tactical airlift capability, and dust off the C-27J?  Or will this be yet another thing they use to instead argue that if a cargo aircraft can be a bomber, they either A) need billions for more capable bombers, or B) no longer need bombers, fighter mafia rejoice?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Am I alone in sometimes wishing our military/government would NOT divulge our little bag of tricks and tactics for the world to see?
View Quote

Know how i know you didnt read the thread…
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Who are the countries that could take out so many of our other planes we would be forced to use these? Those countries have nuclear weapons.

If this allows us to replace more expensive planes, which I seriously doubt will happen, then cool idea.
View Quote

It isn't a question of taking out planes.

With a system like this you can launch from just about anywhere, with missiles coming in from any direction, without having to risk combat planes or ships. And every target you can take out this way frees up a combat launcher which can then work over a better defended target.

Economics is a bitch. It is even more of a bitch when it gets into a war.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

With a system like this you can launch from just about anywhere, with missiles coming in from any direction, without having to risk combat planes or ships. And every target you can take out this way frees up a combat launcher which can then work over a better defended target.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been on a lot of empty or mostly empty C130/C17 runs in-theater over the years. I would imagine if you could put a small section in with some CM's or other small smart weapons or C4ISR devices that would add some tactical use to that otherwise empty airframe going back to home base should there be a TIC or other need that maybe another asset couldn't support. Now granted that does get more complex in a conventional war with near peer adversaries though but it still provides some interesting capability and force multipliers in a variety of situations.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Does this mean USAF will suddenly give a shit about tactical airlift capability, and dust off the C-27J?  Or will this be yet another thing they use to instead argue that if a cargo aircraft can be a bomber, they either A) need billions for more capable bombers, or B) no longer need bombers, fighter mafia rejoice?
View Quote

The mobility air forces is even less cool to the combat air forces than their own fat kids are.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Dad was a CMSgt and Loadmaster. He invented a lot of shit still used today while in the USAF. I remember him talking about dropping Polaris missiles out of the back of C-141’s in the early ‘70’s.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't they once launch an ICBM from a C-5 Galaxy?
Yes
Death Blossom FTW!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top