[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Stopped reading at "It's too complex."

Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1/12 is fine for anything 180 grain and under, I guess if a moron wants to sling 220 grain subsonic out of a .308 that won't cycle the gun its subpar.

It's hard on optics if you can't afford quality.... But if you can pony up 2.8K for a Heavy you can afford great optics.

Properly gas jetting them prevents that.

It certainly sounds like the AK might be a better rifle for you though.
View Quote
Funny because mine would give elongated grease marks on targets with 175’s and 178’s...and piss poor accuracy...so obviously not stabilized. If a Leupold MK6 is a poor man optic. Swapping the gas jet merely masks the issues, and the rifle will still split a carrier at the cam pin slot eventually. And you will pay for the repairs, as FN will not warranty the rifle. I have plenty of AR’s, AK’s, and other less common rifles. I’ll stick with LMT and KAC AR’s for now.  YMMV, but I’m no fanboy of any particular rifle. I just like what works.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Funny because mine would give elongated grease marks on targets with 175’s and 178’s...and piss poor accuracy...so obviously not stabilized. If a Leupold MK6 is a poor man optic. Swapping the gas jet merely masks the issues, and the rifle will still split a carrier at the cam pin slot eventually. And you will pay for the repairs, as FN will not warranty the rifle. I have plenty of AR’s, AK’s, and other less common rifles. I’ll stick with LMT and KAC AR’s for now.  YMMV, but I’m no fanboy of any particular rifle. I just like what works.
View Quote
Mine's been fine with 175's and 180's. 1/12 is marginal for heavy weight 308 but it can be done and it often is. Your personal experience is just that. As far as optics go, you used a decent optic, where's the problem?

I'll have to disagree about gas jets being a mask for the issue; doesn't seem any different than adjustable gas blocks or bolt carriers. Agreed the comments about FN, it's shitty for them to do.

Honestly dude, it sounds like you were trying to press the rifle into something it wasn't supposed to be doing in the first place. The 17 isn't a great DMR or "sniper" rifle and it wasn't designed as such. That'd be the Mk 20 you want.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hey, everyone has their fantasy. Yours is apparently being laid siege to in your basement bunker.

Ever thought, with a breakdown in the system, people will form groups to defend whats theirs? Maybe form alliances with others? Maybe (dare I say it) engage in trade with said other?
"DAVE: Hey Jim, hows shitville holding up? JIM: pretty well. Had some Acolytes try and steal some of our pigs so we took them out. Broke an AR15 trigger spring. Got any to trade? I have some sweet-ass BBQ just pulled out the smokehouse. DAVE: Sure dude, I have one for ya. Bring in the Q"

Non-AR variation:
"DAVE:Hey Jim, hows shitville holding up? JIM: pretty well. Had some Acolytes try and steal some of our pigs so we took them out. Broke a SCAR16 trigger spring. Got any to trade? I have some sweet-ass BBQ just pulled out the smokehouse. DAVE: Wow a SCAR huh? Nah, wish I could help, all I gots is AR parts"
View Quote
Don't forget a lot of preppers and doomers are socially awkward as hell and will have no and trust no   support system
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 6:45:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't forget a lot of preppers and doomers are socially awkward as hell and will have no and trust no   support system
View Quote
I think i get along just fine with everyone
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol. I hear ya. I am prepped but dont consider myself a prepper. Some guys make it their life to the point of losing the ability to function in a normal setting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mine's been fine with 175's and 180's. 1/12 is marginal for heavy weight 308 but it can be done and it often is. Your personal experience is just that. As far as optics go, you used a decent optic, where's the problem?

I'll have to disagree about gas jets being a mask for the issue; doesn't seem any different than adjustable gas blocks or bolt carriers. Agreed the comments about FN, it's shitty for them to do.

Honestly dude, it sounds like you were trying to press the rifle into something it wasn't supposed to be doing in the first place. The 17 isn't a great DMR or "sniper" rifle and it wasn't designed as such. That'd be the Mk 20 you want.
View Quote
I’ve always contended that it’s nothing more than a battle rifle. Those were the results of accuracy testing with M118LR and handloads. The Mk20 is a poor DMR platform because FN refuses to use a modern twist rate. It’s not 1997 anymore. 168gr SMK’s haven’t been the “gold standard” for over two decades.

And if the gas jets solved the issue entirely then FN would actually warranty their rifle for suppressed use. Instead, the warranty only remains intact with the FN 701 suppressor. But FN doesn’t sell that to us...because we suck and they hate you just like HK (except HK actually had decent customer service).

ETA: and a $3k rifle shouldn’t come with a trigger the feels worse than a stock Glock either.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lol. I hear ya. I am prepped but dont consider myself a prepper. Some guys make it their life to the point of losing the ability to function in a normal setting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No prepper here...but i could arm and feed a small nation...

I've ran into the types...lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#13]
And rope!

[Picking out weapons and gear]
Connor: You know what we need, man? Some rope.
Murphy: Absolutely. What are you, insane?
Connor: No I ain't insane, Charlie Bronson's always got a rope.
Murphy: Whaaaat?
Connor: Yeah, he's always got a lot of rope strapped around him in the movies, and they always end up using it.
Murphy: You've lost it, haven't you?
Connor: No, I'm serious.
Murphy: That's stupid. Name one thing you'd need a rope for.
Connor: You don't ****in' know what you're gonna need it for, they just always need it.
Murphy: What's this 'they' shit? This isn't a movie.
Connor: [picks up a large knife from Murphy's bag] Oh...Is that right, Rambo?
Murphy: All right, get your stupid ****ing rope.
Connor: I'll get my stupid rope. I'll get it. There's a rope right there!
LATER Murphy: Ah, **** you! I'm not the rope-totin'-Charlie-Bronson-wannabe who's gettin' us ****in' lost!
(After falling through a vent in the cieling tied to the rope and killing nine men) Connor (Mocking Murphy) Well, name one thing you're going to need the stupid ****ing rope for.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And rope!

[Picking out weapons and gear]
Connor: You know what we need, man? Some rope.
Murphy: Absolutely. What are you, insane?
Connor: No I ain't insane, Charlie Bronson's always got a rope.
Murphy: Whaaaat?
Connor: Yeah, he's always got a lot of rope strapped around him in the movies, and they always end up using it.
Murphy: You've lost it, haven't you?
Connor: No, I'm serious.
Murphy: That's stupid. Name one thing you'd need a rope for.
Connor: You don't ****in' know what you're gonna need it for, they just always need it.
Murphy: What's this 'they' shit? This isn't a movie.
Connor: [picks up a large knife from Murphy's bag] Oh...Is that right, Rambo?
Murphy: All right, get your stupid ****ing rope.
Connor: I'll get my stupid rope. I'll get it. There's a rope right there!
LATER Murphy: Ah, **** you! I'm not the rope-totin'-Charlie-Bronson-wannabe who's gettin' us ****in' lost!
(After falling through a vent in the cieling tied to the rope and killing nine men) Connor (Mocking Murphy) Well, name one thing you're going to need the stupid ****ing rope for.
View Quote
that scene where they are bickering in the air shaft then start beating each other is hilarious, and any dude who has a brother can understand it completely.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

that scene where they are bickering in the air shaft then start beating each other is hilarious, and any dude who has a brother can understand it completely.
View Quote
That was me and my brother. Born 16 months apart and fought like crazy growing up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That was me and my brother. Born 16 months apart and fought like crazy growing up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my brother and I were 5 years, but we were pretty tight.  When the one brother bonks the other on the head with the flashlight, the other just looks at him, then starts beating him, my brother and I lost it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because his rifle is so reliable, it needs 185lbs of spare parts for a basic range visit.
View Quote
No it's just OCD run amuck.  Arf is full of it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Resupply, battlefield pick-ups, performance.

Find another that does these as well as the AR in America.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tales from a 1980s gunstore counter!
View Quote
Mini-14’s are baddass! Hannibal & BA use them in the A-Team!
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's definitely a disconnect between what prepping is and should be. This article we are referencing is a perfect example.

Preparing for the worst case scenario one could reasonably experience means a lot of different things to different people.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mini-14’s are baddass! Hannibal & BA use them in the A-Team!
View Quote
 And in all that time, never hit anybody once.  Not once.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And in all that time, never hit anybody once.  Not once.
View Quote
No but after half a mag they made cars launch up into the Ir and to the side about 40 feet. Can your poodle shooter do that? I don't think so.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I’ve always contended that it’s nothing more than a battle rifle. Those were the results of accuracy testing with M118LR and handloads. The Mk20 is a poor DMR platform because FN refuses to use a modern twist rate. It’s not 1997 anymore. 168gr SMK’s haven’t been the “gold standard” for over two decades.

And if the gas jets solved the issue entirely then FN would actually warranty their rifle for suppressed use. Instead, the warranty only remains intact with the FN 701 suppressor. But FN doesn’t sell that to us...because we suck and they hate you just like HK (except HK actually had decent customer service).

ETA: and a $3k rifle shouldn’t come with a trigger the feels worse than a stock Glock either.
View Quote
I really want to agree with you on this post but can't. 168's used within the envelop of a DMR is entirely adequate. 175's would be ideal but if we're gonna bag it on long range ability, why not start arguing the merits of 6.5CM vs 7.62 NATO? I personally dislike the SCAR of any flavor as a DMR so I have no dog in the fight there, I'd prefer an SR25 any day of the week as a DMR.

Again, the gas jets are a fine fix for the overgassing. What FN will or will not cover under warranty is up to them. Personally I think that policy is shit, nothing more than a way for them to weasel out of having to fix a rifle similar to a car dealer that sees a modified part and starts claiming denial of coverage.
Agree on the FN suppressor, that's a load of shit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes the SCAR is subpar. I sold mine promptly. 1/12 twist barrel...hard on optics, warranty voided if you shoot it suppressed because they eat bolt carriers....no thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you think a Scar is subpar idk what to tell you. The Colt is the only one on that list from you that dos t have proprietary parts so that argument is invalid
If the proprietary parts break on a KAC, you can easily just pop the upper off and slap any ole AR upper on there.

Same for the LMT, and the only proprietary part on the LMT is the barrel, which has a life of 20k-ish rounds.

Think you're gonna shoot 20k rounds during this scenario?

If you do wear it out, just another fucking AR upper on it.

And yes, a SCAR is subpar. I've shot multiple at this point. They do literally nothing that an AR doesn't, besides fold (and that's solved now), and it costs twice the price.
Yes the SCAR is subpar. I sold mine promptly. 1/12 twist barrel...hard on optics, warranty voided if you shoot it suppressed because they eat bolt carriers....no thanks.
Really?
Who in the hell at FN thought that was a good idea?

Edit: 16 or 17?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Really?

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?

So glad I didn't drop $2,600 on a SCAR 17.  Came close many times.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So glad I didn't drop $2,600 on a SCAR 17.  Came close many times.
View Quote
$2600 gets you in to a “large frame” AR that is soooooo much nicer than the SCAR.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What other weapons of its class have you experienced that you think are better than the AR15?
http://i67.tinypic.com/viciee.jpg
FNC is cool and all, but it is clunky compared to the AR, and has FAL ergos. Which are good, but fall far short of the AR.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are you going to carry and shoot 4 ARs at the same time ?
I would rather have one reliable weapon.

And I can afford 4 scars. So if I want 4 I would get 4
Or have both and give the AR to others that support me
View Quote
Well, the SCAR did jam once during the Inrange mud test, although it then worked after manual recycling. None of the ARs tested jammed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Everything has pros and cons.

Your 'I have a hard time breaking it' rifle would be a G3 variant I think.

But you're not going to find as much ammo, mags, and replacement parts if any around.

Without rule of law for a few days to a week, probably AR15.

Bugging out on the roads of post apocalyptic whatever after 3 years of us being kicked back to the stone age.. probably a rusty G3 or AK.
View Quote
The "con" with respect to the AR is that it is normally 5.56 which limits it as a big game rifle, and makes it poor for defense from bears, etc.

G3s and AKs will break down before the AR. The sheet steel construction of G3s can make it easier to damage in hard usage. Both are more prone to rust. For long term use, the AR is just better, and that is amplified by parts availibility, etc. at least in the US.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The people who took SCAR 16s on deployment threw them away and got thier real guns back as fast as they could.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would rather have one reliable weapon.

And I can afford 4 scars. So if I want 4 I would get 4
Or have both and give the AR to others that support me
The people who took SCAR 16s on deployment threw them away and got thier real guns back as fast as they could.
He has to justify his expensive new toy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have not read the article but to my knowledge:

- The AR-15 is extremely accessible (what gun store doesn't sell some variety of AR-15?).
- The AR-15 is at least reasonably reliable.
- The AR-15 is at least reasonably accurate.
- The AR-15 has spare parts availability unlike any other firearm (what gun store doesn't sell AR-15 parts?).
- The AR-15 has magazines available unlike any other firearm (what gun store doesn't sell AR-15 magazines?).
- The AR-15 has ammo available unlike most other firearms (what gun store doesn't sell .223/5.56?).

Compare this to literally ANY other firearm...
View Quote
The AR is potentially the most accurate semi. That's not even close.

The AR is far and away reliable. Particularly under adverse conditions, like mud or sand tests.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
X95 shoots smoother w less felt recoil since the weight is further back and is more compact
View Quote
Why would that cause less felt recoil?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@ConcernedCitizen

Yes, absolutely positive.

What do you really think you'll be doing in that scenario? Running through your neighborhood picking up magazines and ammo laying around? Picking up the rifle of some guy you killed? You'll be the last person alive somehow?

I'm genuinely curious how you, and many others, envision surviving long enough to go and fetch spare parts from other dead peoples rifles. If you live in any type of urban setting, you can only defend your house for as long as your food allows you to, or until a group overpowers you. This mentality of going out and getting extra rifles or supplies is an unrealistic fantasy so many people masturbate to, and its become quite stale.

ETA: We all have spare parts. I get that. If its a true doomsday scenario, are you going to lug around your spare parts box or think you'll be shooting thousands of rounds of suppressive fire out of your house to fend off the hordes until your rifle melts down and then you grab another rifle or what?
View Quote
Better to have something common where spare parts are common.

No one should be planning to pick up spare parts, but it is more likely with an AR than a SCAR.

I recall the pictures from a cartel ambush of Mexican police. They took most of the guns but left an M4 damaged by a bullet. That M4 still had plenty of good spare parts, so if you happened along later you could recover it.
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top