User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What if that other boat hadn't have been there?  You were close to not being here today.  You got lucky.  I wouldn't stop the "what if" game if I were you.  There's actually an entire forum on cruisersforum where people confess the mistakes they made on the water.  I've spent weeks reading through those threads, because they allow us to "what if" (in someone else's shoes).  It's valuable learning.  

By the way - how's your injured leg healing up?  Did you ever go see a doctor?  If memory serves - you're still a few weeks from having insurance, right?  Hope you're taking care of that.

I'll also apologize for the bozos on that other board who accused you of being a plant for a competing rental operation, etc.  I thought it was good that you didn't name the rental place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I could "what if" the situation to death but I already did that during the first few weeks after it happened (and during). Lots of those "what ifs" end with a shudder going down the spine. When I motored away I did not go far at all. Maybe 100-200 yards and then back. If the radio would have died we still would have be aided by the large boat that picked up my brother.

What if that other boat hadn't have been there?  You were close to not being here today.  You got lucky.  I wouldn't stop the "what if" game if I were you.  There's actually an entire forum on cruisersforum where people confess the mistakes they made on the water.  I've spent weeks reading through those threads, because they allow us to "what if" (in someone else's shoes).  It's valuable learning.  

By the way - how's your injured leg healing up?  Did you ever go see a doctor?  If memory serves - you're still a few weeks from having insurance, right?  Hope you're taking care of that.

I'll also apologize for the bozos on that other board who accused you of being a plant for a competing rental operation, etc.  I thought it was good that you didn't name the rental place.

Yes, we got very lucky. But, we were also very unlucky as well! Sinking boat, poor visibility (10 ft maybe), timing of the disaster (right at beginning of the last dive), etc. If we were in clearer water with better visibility, I could've POSSIBLY done a quick freedive and gained their attention that way. That would have involved leaving the guy who was drinking in the boat by himself for 3-5 mins which I would have done so ONLY if the conditions were perfect (i.e. - seeing them clearly at the bottom immediately after entering the water) for a quick dive then getaway with everyone aboard. With 10 ft visibility present, a quick attention-getting dive was not possible.

My legs doing ok now that I took the steri-strips off. Had the staples removed at day 12 when they probably should have been in there a few more days. The ER doc had done a poor job stapling the bottom of the wound. After the staples came out, the wound split later that evening and started leaking fluid under the strips. I didn't want to take the strips off because I felt they were helping keep the gash closed yet I wanted to take them off because they were making the wound fester. Once the strips peeled easily (12 days later) without the adhesive destroying the healing tissue beneath, I took them off. Ever since doing so, the wound seems to be getting much better. No more leaking fluid, redness/itchiness has gone down, and a nice dry scab has formed. Still going to get everything checked out on 10/1 but I think things have taken a turn for the better over the last few days. Thanks for asking!

No need for an apology sir. The tin foil hats must be strong with some over at THT
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I could "what if" the situation to death but I already did that during the first few weeks after it happened (and during). Lots of those "what ifs" end with a shudder going down the spine. When I motored away I did not go far at all. Maybe 100-200 yards and then back. If the radio would have died we still would have be aided by the large boat that picked up my brother.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Imagine if the electrical took a dump and killed the engine and radio after you motored away from the divers!

With currents and waves out there they could have been lost. I have heard one disaster story after another

all the years I have lived here and you better believe that you were very close to being another

one.

I just hope you learned from those what if's that is why I have pointed some out. Not

just for your sake but also for others in this forum. I hope next time you take a look at

the boat closer and test bilge pumps and locate the through hull fittings ahead of a problem.

Problems can come in many forms. But the failure of a through hull fitting or hose is a

frequent cause of sinkings.

This is a Livewell pump that was going though the transom of my boat. Look how the

discharge fitting broke off from the movement of the hose that was connected to it over time.

Caught me off guard a little. But I always try to keep an eye on the water line and stay ahead

of problems.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Did that happen in the water Banditman?  Looks exciting.  If so - how did you fix it?  

Funny, I was looking at emergency options on hull protrusions today.  Wooden plugs are nice, and I certainly am a believe in having them lashed near every through hull fitting.  I've heard everything from rubber footballs to inflatable bladders. I saw a test earlier of a yacht group testing a rubber backed board that they attached with a line through the hole (requires two people, of course, and a grapple and calm seas).  I read a story of a 46' that had it's main shaft blow out going to Catalina Island off California (leaving a 3" hold in their stern bulkhead).  There are a lot of other stories about things that can go wrong.  Obviously, a big part of the problem is avoiding the problems via regular maintenance and a launch checklist to spot problems near shore.  Reacting to an unexpected 3" hole in your stern (under a bulkhead) is something I think about late into the night....
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I just hope you learned from those what if's that is why I have pointed some out. Not
just for your sake but also for others in this forum. I hope next time you take a look at
the boat closer and test bilge pumps and locate the through hull fittings ahead of a problem.

Problems can come in many forms. But the failure of a through hull fitting or hose is a

This is a Livewell pump that was going though the transom of my boat. Look how the
discharge fitting broke off from the movement of the hose that was connected to it over time.
Caught me off guard a little. But I always try to keep an eye on the water line and stay ahead
of problems.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/banditman1/a2/DSCN8052.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine if the electrical took a dump and killed the engine and radio after you motored away from the divers!

With currents and waves out there they could have been lost. I have heard one disaster story after another
all the years I have lived here and you better believe that you were very close to being another
one.

of problems.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/banditman1/a2/DSCN8052.jpg

To say I learned a great deal from all of this would be an understatement! And hopefully the board takes away something from it as well as that's why I posted the story. Prior to posting, I knew some of my decision making would be ridiculed but that's OK if the information saves someone's life in the future.

After reading about the problems inherent with Makos produced after 1992 (when they changed ownership), I have no doubt that the hull was leaky due to a bad thru-hull fitting or hose just like you said. Then the bilge pump then took a shit somehow and it was all downhill from there. I think that boat had just gotten back from a 3 week rental where it was probably used and abused.You won't find me on a Mako boat ever again! And thanks for sharing the pic and info...
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard it said that any boating accident is generally not due to a single large mistake - but a series of small cascading problems.  A leaking through hull fitting can typically be taken care of by a good bilge pump (or two).  A leaking fitting with a down bilge pump could be overcome with a captain who is very familiar with the boat, would diagnose the problem in advance, and has an emergency procedure.  Your problem was a combination of all three things going wrong (no reflection of you, of course - it wasn't your boat, and you had no illusions about being prepared or experienced).  It's tough to point at any one thing and say "Ah - that's it!"  It's like the rules of firearm handling.  An AD while observing rule #1 (safe direction) is a non-event.  Someone only gets killed if you ignore multiple rules simultaneously.  The same thing probably applies here....
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Did that happen in the water Banditman?  Looks exciting.  If so - how did you fix it?  

View Quote

Yes, I was with Friends put at Egmont Key and we were ashore for a while. Got back to the boat

and it was sitting low at the stern. I climbed aboard and turned on the Bilge pump and pumped

a great deal of water out of it. Popped a deck plate and could see it leaking. The Bilge pump was

keeping up fine so we motored back the the Ramp in Palmetto. Being on the stern it was not

leaking at all when underway.

Needless to say I replaced both livewell pumps the next week.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes, I was with Friends put at Egmont Key and we were ashore for a while. Got back to the boat

and it was sitting low at the stern. I climbed aboard and turned on the Bilge pump and pumped

a great deal of water out of it. Popped a deck plate and could see it leaking. The Bilge pump was

keeping up fine so we motored back the the Ramp in Palmetto. Being on the stern it was not

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

please tell me you used a bronze thru hull with ball valve.  that should have never been installed under the waterline

also, those little nerf footballs make great plugs, don't seal perfectly but will slow down leaks in a hurry

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

please tell me you used a bronze thru hull with ball valve.  that should have never been installed under the waterline

also, those little nerf footballs make great plugs, don't seal perfectly but will slow down leaks in a hurry

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No I did not. If you notice the weak spot is the discharge fitting. The suction side of the

pump has screens that screw on to them and I can either unscrew the screen and plug the

tube and thread the screen back on to hold the plug in or use a treaded cap to screw on.

My boat is a Kenner 2102 and it is easy to reach them over the transom.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#9]
As a Coastie I'm just glad you we're close enough for my Brothers down there to have gotten there in time. Sometimes that not the case, but we always do everything we can. Not surprisingly we see many many people that are far less prepared than even you were. You'd be shocked at how many boaters will go out without even putting plugs in(or even knowing what they are), or not knowing how to use a radio or read a GPS.

Glad you made it back to tell the story!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Glad you made it back to tell the story!
View Quote

This.  Scary story for sure!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top