Link Posted: 9/11/2024 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Zenith Chronomaster

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
IWC Portugieser

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get a Vacheron Constantin FiftySix used.  

Vacheron Constantin Fiftysix Self Winding 4600E/110A-B487 Vacheron Constantin Watch Review

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Grand Seiko
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Vacheron Constantin Quai de l'Ile

Vacheron Constantin Quai de L'ile Steel Blue Dial 4500S/000A-B364 Vacheron Constantin Watch Review
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
So I'm wondering if I can get a better price on a Grand Seiko in Japan. Wife unit and I are going there this time next year.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By madwis15:
So I'm wondering if I can get a better price on a Grand Seiko in Japan. Wife unit and I are going there this time next year.
View Quote
If you're in Kyoto, stop in at Oomiya Kyototen.  They'll knock off at least 5%, and it's gonna be tax free.  

I bought a SBGA443 from them at a decent price a few weeks ago.  

Also, by some dumb luck, and a wrong turn at ATL immigration, I totally missed the luggage inspection where I was fully prepared to declare all my purchases.  So zero duty on my over $10K in goods.  

Anyway, yes, you can get a good deal, and if you're lucky, you may not even have duty to pay at customs.  In case you do, it's probably 3%, but someone else can confirm that number.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:59:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By IntruderBware:
If you're in Kyoto, stop in at Oomiya Kyototen.  They'll knock off at least 5%, and it's gonna be tax free.  

I bought a SBGA443 from them at a decent price a few weeks ago.  

Also, by some dumb luck, and a wrong turn at ATL immigration, I totally missed the luggage inspection where I was fully prepared to declare all my purchases.  So zero duty on my over $10K in goods.  

Anyway, yes, you can get a good deal, and if you're lucky, you may not even have duty to pay at customs.  In case you do, it's probably 3%, but someone else can confirm that number.  
View Quote

I’ve bought a few watches on Chrono24 from Japan that sounds about right. A $3400 Tudor FXD NIB was around $130 I think.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

I’ve bought a few watches on Chrono24 from Japan that sounds about right. A $3400 Tudor FXD NIB was around $130 I think.
View Quote

How much was the import tax or did they just not mark it over $800 in value? I was looking at a few watches from Japan, but worried about the import fees.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 2:41:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sladekal:

How much was the import tax or did they just not mark it over $800 in value? I was looking at a few watches from Japan, but worried about the import fees.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The import duty was around $130. You get a bill from the shipper who pays it for you.

A private seller might do that, most dealers won’t, and it’s hard to declare it’s a $600 watch and then insure it for $3,500.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#11]

The import duty was around $130. You get a bill from the shipper who pays it for you.

A private seller might do that, most dealers won’t, and it’s hard to declare it’s a $600 watch and then insure it for $3,500.
View Quote

$130 is not bad, I was worried that I would get some high $500 plus charge. I also know that you have to be be careful not to have exotic leather straps.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#12]

$130 is not bad, I was worried that I would get some high $500 plus charge. I also know that you have to be be careful not to have exotic leather straps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes, the listings on Chronograph from Japanese dealers say they will not shipped with banned leather straps. Whether they do or not I have no idea. Might just be a CYA thing.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top