Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2012 7:00:51 AM EDT
What "style" AR do you find yourself admiring or ogling over the most? For me, it's the rifles from Black Hawk Down and Blood Diamond and anything similar.

Basically, anything with a 14.5" barrel or less, with or without XM177 style flash hider, Aimpoint optic, or barrel mounted flashlight. To me, such a setup seems like the optimum for simplicity.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The tossed-down-the-driveway-to-get-the-worn-in-effect kind
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a fan of the mk18 in its many varriations.
A close second place would be an old school A1 rifle config.
With a DOE 9mm setup shortly following up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#3]
That was my first AR.  An A2 M4gery with 14.5" bbl and permanently mounted flash suppressor/brake so it makes 16"

I now like flat top 16" midlength the best.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:04:31 AM EDT
[#4]
KISS
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#5]
16" midlength lightweight right now

been a fan of lightweights since i built my first bushmaster superlight in '04.  it has a bayonet lug and everything!

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#6]
For me its a toss up between a A2 20" or A4 20".
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I run mine like in Tears of the Sun with the sight on backwards.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
*snip*

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the CAR carbines and the A2full size. I got 2 stripped spike's, and one will be a pistol, and the other will be a A2 20".  I already have 2 flat top M4carbines, a older bushy, and a LE6920.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Basic M4 configuration. Though I do love the BHD-style 727. I need to put another one together since I took the barrel off my last one to mate to a regular flat top upper.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#11]

or
20" LW with A5 stock
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#12]
SBR's with the handguards going over gas block
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#13]
One like this but with an ACOG on top.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I find myself still wanting an M16/M16A1 style semi-auto.  I carried one for several years in the military and miss the old school simplicity of the configuration.  It wasnt as high speed as the newer M4's, but in retrospect was a pretty decent set up and had a decent weight.  I didnt care for the A2's when we finally swapped.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#15]
SBR with railed handguard, more specifically:

Flat top
Aimpoint T-1 micro red dot
Troy sights
DD Mk18 RIS II rail
cold hammer forged barrel that barely sticks out past the rail (10.5"?) or 14.5" mid length
AAC brakeout (flash suppressor/muzzle break)  
AAC suppressor attached
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul or Tango Down pistol grip
Magpul or Tango Down VFG
Magpul BAD Lever

I need to build this gun!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I find myself still wanting an M16/M16A1 style semi-auto.  I carried one for several years in the military and miss the old school simplicity of the configuration.  It wasnt as high speed as the newer M4's, but in retrospect was a pretty decent set up and had a decent weight.  I didnt care for the A2's when we finally swapped.

I do find the A1 style very nice.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#18]
A4 20" HBAR

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#19]
20 inch flat top.  I got my Troy BUIS in the mail about 30 minutes ago.  Thank you Brownell's!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#20]
20" A1 for simplicity and Mk18 Mod0 for a modern style
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That was my first AR. An A2 M4gery with 14.5" bbl and permanently mounted flash suppressor/brake so it makes 16"

Me too. The A3 with no BUIS. I know, the zombies are gonna get me when the battery dies.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I really like "IDF" style rifles...A1 upper with shorter 16" or less barrel, old school collapsible stock, A1 grip, elastic bands around the handguards, etc.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Just give me a plain old M4...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SBR's with the handguards going over gas block

I like this as well. I really like to see the hand guard covering most of a KX3
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
16" midlength lightweight right now

been a fan of lightweights since i built my first bushmaster superlight in '04.  it has a bayonet lug and everything!

That is close to my favorite as well!

I have a LMT 2-stage lower topped with a BCM 14.5" Superlite Flat top upper with all the necessary features on it.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
That was my first AR. An A2 M4gery with 14.5" bbl and permanently mounted flash suppressor/brake so it makes 16"

Me too.  The A3 with no BUIS.  I know, the zombies are gonna get me when the battery dies.

Practice and learn how to shoot it accurately without a rear sight.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I like a 20" rifle with a a2 stock and a lightweight barrel . Standard carry handle sights are fine but make it a flatop for the times I wamt
to toss a optic on it. regular grips are fine

Got to have a Ceiner as one of the few extras after ammo and 20 rd mags

Other than the rimfire I mostly shoot 55 or 62s so a 1/9 twist is fine.

I have several carbines with various stocks and such but pretty much they ride the safe

as the light 20" goes to the range. Second most used AR is the RRNM with all the heavy stuiff
that gets dragged out for matches or when I want longer range accuracy

Yeah I know I am an old school fuddy duddy.

I believe the long sight radius of the 20" light barrel rifle (pretty much early Vietnam era with the convience of mounting optics on the flatop)
has the ballance and weight most guys are looking for when they start casting about for shorter barrels.

Not so much the length that makes the full sized rifles handle like a crowbar but the darn crowbars that pass for barrels today.

I am just a civillan buying my own ammo to shoot semi fire , it is not like I am ever going to get things that hot (well not that often)
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#28]
That'd be like telling me to pick which of my two children I love the most.

The correct answer is the one who's annoyed me the least that day.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I've never been a flat top guy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#31]
hmmm....torn between 16" or less bbl with rifle length handguards.
like such (will SBR it sometime soon so the comp is barely sticking out from under the HG's)

and super accurate long range sniper versions

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#32]
BCM14.5 EAG middy with Larue 9.0 handguard, Aimpoint T1, Surefire mini scoutlight, gisselle SSA trigger,Troy or KAC buis, CTR stock, Moe grip, KAC railcovers and no VFG.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Current favorite:

14.5" pencil barrel
TRX tube
Extended ARFX-E
Geissele SSA
A1 grip
T-1
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I like my AR because I built it around my experience with how I use a rifle.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#35]
A2, or A3 with a 20 in. bbl. With the small caliber & weight, velocity is primary!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I really like "Recce" type rifles.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Honestly?

I post this everywhere but still -

It's KISS simple. It's fast. It's light, handy, and it runs. Factory Colt 733 upper on an SBR lower; nothing fancy there, all factory parts. The only custom bit on it (now) is that I've swapped the 2position stock tube and stock for an updated 6 position stock, and replaced the A2 grip with a Magpul MOE grip (I think it's an MOE grip). Way more comfortable for me. I might even replace the stock body with a Magpul one, if I get around to scraping together the cash to do so. But the upper...no changes.

Well...I do currently have a Trijicon Reflex mounted on it, which co-witnesses wonderfully...got it used, like the upper...

But even without the Trijicon mounted on it, it's just...great.

I kinda want to see about getting a flat top on it just to see if it feels/handles any better with a red dot mounted on the rail there, but that's an itch I'll scratch if I should find myself with a surplus of money in my pocket one day.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I really like shooting my 14.5" pinned carbine. I would sell it and a kidney to build a sopmod block II clone though
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Honestly?

http://www.misplaced.net/~edward/arfcom/sbr/DSC_0136-cropped.jpg

It's KISS simple. It's fast. It's light, handy, and it runs. Factory Colt 733 upper on an SBR lower; nothing fancy there, all factory parts. The only custom bit on it (now) is that I've swapped the 2position stock tube and stock for an updated 6 position stock, and replaced the A2 grip with a Magpul MOE grip (I think it's an MOE grip). Way more comfortable for me. I might even replace the stock body with a Magpul one, if I get around to scraping together the cash to do so. But the upper...no changes.

Well...I do currently have a Trijicon Reflex mounted on it, which co-witnesses wonderfully...got it used, like the upper...

I kinda want to see about getting a flat top on it just to see if it feels/handles any better with a red dot mounted on the rail there, but that's an itch I'll scratch if I should find myself with a surplus of money in my pocket one day.

I think my next build is going to be a Mk18-ish clone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Right now, it's this one.

ARFCOM forged SBR'ed lower
PSA lpk
Magpul MIAD
Magpul UBR
Magpul BAD lever
LMT 10.5" upper
YHM lo pro gas block
YHM Todd Jarrett ff tube, rifle length
Noveske KX3
Aimpoint H-1
Magpul MBUS
Magpul AFG

I'm going to call it done when my LT-751 arrives Monday.   It will stay in this configuration until I buy a rifle can, then I'll ditch the KX3 for a qd mount.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#41]
AR-15A2

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#42]
flat tops

16 " middies with a troy rail and sights, any decent stock, plus a larue spr QD mount and any decent old 1.5 x 5 scope
second choice would be 14.5 pinned  plain jane home built m4gery
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly?

I'm leaning that way myself to be honest; a Mod1 clone, with the DD RISII. However...muzzle blast from a 11.5" is pretty interesting, I'm wondering if cutting to 10.3 is worth it.

I still want to do my "antagonize everyone" build; get the retro guys as well as the high speed low drag types all in a tizzy at the same time...A1 upper, 7.5" barrel, repro faux XM177 moderator and grenade ring, a suitable free-float rail forend which covers the shaved gas block, and an Aimpoint T1/H1 out where the front sight would normally be. With a vertical grip on the bottom rails just beneath it. On my A2 lower.

With a Colt old-school alumnium stock on it.

That should sufficently annoy all the niche guys.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#45]

what mount is that on your aimpoint?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/70satvert/IMGP2781.jpg

PSA lpk
Magpul MIAD
Magpul UBR
Magpul BAD lever
LMT 10.5" upper
YHM lo pro gas block
Noveske KX3
Aimpoint H-1
Magpul MBUS
Magpul AFG

I'm going to call it done when my LT-751 arrives Monday.   It will stay in this configuration until I buy a rifle can, then I'll ditch the KX3 for a qd mount.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#47]
M16A4 has to be my number one.
Anything 20", and the 14.5" BHD guns are runners up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/70satvert/IMGP2781.jpg

PSA lpk
Magpul MIAD
Magpul UBR
Magpul BAD lever
LMT 10.5" upper
YHM lo pro gas block
Noveske KX3
Aimpoint H-1
Magpul MBUS
Magpul AFG

Every time I see that gun, I cringe and think, "you'll shoot you hand off."

I'm not criticizing, but I certainly wouldn't want my grip to be that close to the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly?

I'm leaning that way myself to be honest; a Mod1 clone, with the DD RISII. However...muzzle blast from a 11.5" is pretty interesting, I'm wondering if cutting to 10.3 is worth it.

I still want to do my "antagonize everyone" build; get the retro guys as well as the high speed low drag types all in a tizzy at the same time...A1 upper, 7.5" barrel, repro faux XM177 moderator and grenade ring, a suitable free-float rail forend which covers the shaved gas block, and an Aimpoint T1/H1 out where the front sight would normally be. With a vertical grip on the bottom rails just beneath it. On my A2 lower.

With a Colt old-school alumnium stock on it.

That should sufficently annoy all the niche guys.

I'm pretty used to 11.5s at work.  I have no experience with the 10.3 but then again I'd probably start saving my pesos immediately for a can.

Yeah that 7.5 with all the "all around the EE" look would probbaly cause a meltdown.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm pretty used to 11.5s at work.  I have no experience with the 10.3 but then again I'd probably start saving my pesos immediately for a can.

No can have can here in the Democratic People's Republic of Minnesota.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top