Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2012 2:25:31 PM EDT
Let say you are going to engage a target 1200 meters out. How is your tube elevation determined? In other words how do you know your tube is elevated to say 60 degrees vs. 75 degrees? To my understanding this is not shown on the sight correct?
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Gunners quadrant.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]
A computer or book tells you what elevation and charge to use so that the flight time and altitude are minimized, generally speaking but there are some other variables that could come into play.  YMMV because it's been 16 years since I was a mortarman.  If you're talking about physically moving the mortar basically you would set the elevation on the sight as determined and raise or lower the mortar by a leveling bubble (like a carpenter's level); simplified.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Tube elevation, target elevation, charge size and type of round/ fuse . I'm just a 13F.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Gunners quadrant.

Makes sense I just never noticed any dedicated placement pads on a tube or ever seen one being set up.
How about deflection is initial set up done. Is it by compass only or is there something more precise involved?
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
81s they would pull the quadrant elevation from a TFT or  Mortar Ballistic Computer and apply it to the sight.  60's would do the same in the baseplate mode, in assault mode there is a range scale and witness bubble on the handle
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
1) Put in the numbers the FDC guys yell out
2) Level bubbles
3) Hang it
4) No profit

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Before the MBC's .  There were whiz wheels, and books that would give you what charge and elevation.  FDC would then give said data, to gunline in translated terms for elevation on the sight.  Unless you were doing a direct lay.  Then, that there takes some experience and training.  Really Motars, require a lot of schools(I went to 4 or so, SOI, TSFO[Foward observer course], Advanced mortar gunnery course[now AMLOC or whatever] and blah,blah, blah) and a lot of time in the field to get the most out of them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Before the MBC's .  There were whiz wheels, and books that would give you what charge and elevation.  FDC would then give said data, to gunline in translated terms for elevation on the sight.

I learned on the plotting wheel and charge book.  

I'm surprised there isn't an Iphone app yet.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link a Roo

Sample TFT
Firing tables are based on firing the weapon and its ammunition under, or correlated to, standard conditions (Figure 2-4). Those standards are the bases used to compensate for variations in the weapon, weather, and ammunition at a given time and place. The atmospheric standards in United States firing tables reflect the mean annual conditions in the north temperate zone. The main elements measured in experimental firing are angle of elevation, angle of departure, muzzle velocity, attained range, drift, and concurrent atmospheric condition

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Let say you are going to engage a target 1200 meters out. How is your tube elevation determined? In other words how do you know your tube is elevated to say 60 degrees vs. 75 degrees? To my understanding this is not shown on the sight correct?

Firing tables.  The FDC computes gun-target azimuth and derives the elevation and charge from the firing tables.

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks gents. I think first post nailed it. I was referring to the verification of the tubes physical angle rather than FDC data or corrections.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top