Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2014 8:42:29 PM EDT
And when did they start doing this??
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Over 20 years ago, at least.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Long as I can remember.  We had 2 man "buddy" teams when I went through OSUT in 1987 and when I came back in 2004, everything was buddy pairs.

What's going to suck is when they start calling them 'warrior buddy'.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Over 20 years ago, at least.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone who's actions you receive punishment for.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I enlisted in. 89 and I'm still in. They have been doing sine then.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
This.  It's never used in a positive manner.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Do they still do that "Nuts to butts, make your buddy smile!" thing in the mess hall line during basic?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do they still do that "Nuts to butts, make your buddy smile!" thing in the mess hall line during basic?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't over think it.  The term is decades old, the idea goes back much farther.

It's basically just someone you are partnered up with for training.  You start out doing thigs in pairs, then as a team, then as a squad.  The pairs are "battle buddies."

It's just a gooberish name for something that has been around for a looooooong time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I enlisted in 1982 and they were doing it then, I can still remember his name too through boot camp
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#12]
US Army use officially goes back to the Korean War. Before that, it was informal.

Basically, it's a the other half of your two-man team.  You're not supposed to separate, and the two of you are supposed to work together on all missions. You sleep, he pulls security.

Not as well-implemented as it could be. I'd actually prefer to base it on a triad, and build from there. Two triads to a team, three teams to a squad. And, yes.. I went there: 18 man squads.By the time you get done subtracting manpower for administrivia and broke-dicks, you'll be lucky to have 12 of your 18 men present for duty on any particular day, anyway...
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck if i know. That's some gay army shit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I enlisted in 1982 and they were doing it then, I can still remember his name too through boot camp
View Quote

Boot camp like in Navy, or USMC? I went through Parris Island in 82, and the phrase "Battle Buddy", or anything even remotely similar was never once heard by me.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Boot camp like in Navy, or USMC? I went through Parris Island in 82, and the phrase "Battle Buddy", or anything even remotely similar was never once heard by me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

US Army
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

That always seemed powerful ghey.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

US Army use officially goes back to the Korean War. Before that, it was informal.

Basically, it's a the other half of your two-man team.  You're not supposed to separate, and the two of you are supposed to work together on all missions. You sleep, he pulls security.

Not as well-implemented as it could be. I'd actually prefer to base it on a triad, and build from there. Two triads to a team, three teams to a squad. And, yes.. I went there: 18 man squads.By the time you get done subtracting manpower for administrivia and broke-dicks, you'll be lucky to have 12 of your 18 men present for duty on any particular day, anyway..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not as well-implemented as it could be. I'd actually prefer to base it on a triad, and build from there. Two triads to a team, three teams to a squad. And, yes.. I went there: 18 man squads.By the time you get done subtracting manpower for administrivia and broke-dicks, you'll be lucky to have 12 of your 18 men present for duty on any particular day, anyway..

You got a newsletter?

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go find a group of combat Infantry veterans from any war and solicit their opinion on the subject.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Wingman concept FTW.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

O.P.
It goes way back to the days of rocks and clubs would be my guess.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#21]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC36u2xha5Y[/youtube]

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Seems pretty specific to the Army. Is just a random grouping of 2 people that are supposed to look out for each other. Since you rarely have a choice of who that person is, it usually results in you being punished side by side with the "battle buddy" actually responsible for the fuck up.

If that's not gayer than AIDs, wait till you hear a boot say "Yea boi, dat dude is muh battle! Dis one time in Basic..."
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#23]
It's Army. My step-son is in Army basic right now. When he told me that I almost bust out laughing. I was like what the fuck is a battle buddy?  Tried to get him to join the Corps but he wasn't into it. Still proud as hell of him for deciding to join anything. Takes heart.

Another thing, Army goes home for Christmas from bootcamp. That is just insane to me. He came home for 2 weeks while in the middle of basic training. He gets cell phone privileges as well. I'm sorry but that is insane to me. We didn't have cell phones when I went through Parris Island, but I can't imagine even now the Marine Corps allowing cell phones or going home during Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Go find a group of combat Infantry veterans from any war and solicit their opinion on the subject.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He ain't gonna do shit Battle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#25]
The Marines have this since I was in, in 1991.

ETA - not in boot camp that was every man for himself. But MCT I did.

IB4 no SOI, must be a POG...
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#26]
U.S. Army Basic Training circa mid 80's here!

We called em Ranger Buddies.

Wasn't till the third day of basic that I learned who my buddy was! Turned out to be my bunk mate

Ask me how much PT it took for me to pay for that mistake! At least I memorized my general orders!

Ohh and don't ever sleep on top of your bunk w just the cover to make it easier to make in the morning!

Ask me how much PT it took for that mistake as well! I can feel the muscle burn 25 years later!
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's Army. My step-son is in Army basic right now. When he told me that I almost bust out laughing. I was like what the fuck is a battle buddy?  Tried to get him to join the Corps but he wasn't into it. Still proud as hell of him for deciding to join anything. Takes heart.

Another thing, Army goes home for Christmas from bootcamp. That is just insane to me. He came home for 2 weeks while in the middle of basic training. He gets cell phone privileges as well. I'm sorry but that is insane to me. We didn't have cell phones when I went through Parris Island, but I can't imagine even now the Marine Corps allowing cell phones or going home during Christmas.
View Quote

Don't sweat it dad the assigned battle buddy is a expediency of Basic/AIT.  After he gets to his unit he will pic his own pals.

I am told that cell privileges are earned not given.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Seems pretty specific to the Army. Is just a random grouping of 2 people that are supposed to look out for each other. Since you rarely have a choice of who that person is, it usually results in you being punished side by side with the "battle buddy" actually responsible for the fuck up.

If that's not gayer than AIDs, wait till you hear a boot say "Yea boi, dat dude is muh battle! Dis one time in Basic..."
View Quote

IMO there is a difference between a Battle and a battle buddy. And anyone calling someone from basic their Battle needs to be mocked endlessly.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
He gets cell phone privileges as well. I'm sorry but that is insane to me. We didn't have cell phones when I went through Parris Island, but I can't imagine even now the Marine Corps allowing cell phones or going home during Christmas.
View Quote
I was lucky to get to use a pay phone during my Army basic. I can remember calling home only twice, once was Thanksgiving, and the other one of those was for a family emergency.
'92 Ft. Jackson, SC
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Marines have this since I was in, in 1991.

ETA - not in boot camp that was every man for himself. But MCT I did.

IB4 no SOI, must be a POG...
View Quote

They use this term anywhere in the Corps?  

Well, if you say so.

I have heard the US army does use 'Battle Buddy', the USAF uses 'Wingman', and the USN has something similar, but the all I had was the Whisky Locker, the Pit, and the Quarterdeck.   None of them were mine;  everything on the planet seemed to belong to whatever Drill Instructor at the time made reference to it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
How can you post so many hundreds of military themed threads per year and not know?

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#32]
He's the guy who drops his grenade somewhere over there .

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Not as well-implemented as it could be. I'd actually prefer to base it on a triad, and build from there. Two triads to a team, three teams to a squad. And, yes.. I went there: 18 man squads.By the time you get done subtracting manpower for administrivia and broke-dicks, you'll be lucky to have 12 of your 18 men present for duty on any particular day, anyway...
View Quote
Might as well add another person and call it a fireteam.  Then you can split it into 2 2ma,n groups.  More flexible that way.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#34]
That guy who had you bend over and bite the pillow......

It wasn't him.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#35]
You had one side of the shelter half and your battle buddy had the other....and you best learn to be friends fast...       dig and  share the same fox hole..   old school  training
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

bam.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 12:05:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

How can you post so many hundreds of military themed threads per year and not know?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Up until a few days ago I didn't even know the term existed

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#38]
How long has the Military used 2 man fighting positions? Shelter Half's where another person carried the other half of your tent?

Any time you go from 100% Security to 50% Security, you need another person to watch your back.........Whether they had a special name for it or not....
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#39]
This.

And this

Sometimes this

But usually this

Hope that clears shit up for you!!

US Army: We're here to help
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#40]
It's a faggoty term coined by the Army, when I went through basic in the late 90s it was used sparingly compared to today.  Just saw a video where two privates were shooting from cover and had to toss practice grenades at the enemy (a private lost his grenade somewhere) and they had to communicate everything they said with "battle buddy".  No wonder the Army is full of pussies.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I went to Jackson, had a chick with big tits behind me and a Mexican chick with a J.Lo ass in front.  "nuts to butts" worked well in my favor.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#42]
I went in early '84

don't remember it being around then.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 12:58:53 AM EDT
[#43]
You guys act like it's just in training or something.  Over here in Korea, we all have to sign a new "Battle Buddy Contract" before every 3 or 4 day weekend.  And I'm an officer that's been in more than a few years.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You guys act like it's just in training or something.  Over here in Korea, we all have to sign a new "Battle Buddy Contract" before every 3 or 4 day weekend.  And I'm an officer that's been in more than a few years.
View Quote

Shit like this makes people ETS.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 1:21:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

How long has the Military used 2 man fighting positions? Shelter Half's where another person carried the other half of your tent?

Any time you go from 100% Security to 50% Security, you need another person to watch your back.........Whether they had a special name for it or not....
View Quote

Well, no shit. The question is; Why does the Army have to ghey everything up with a stupid title. Battle buddy? That's the best they could do? Oh, but it's different than "Battle." Don't ever confuse the two.

Why does it need a title? What about pogues? They aren't going into battle. What kind of buddy do they get, a butt buddy?

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 1:39:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well, no shit. The question is; Why does the Army have to ghey everything up with a stupid title. Battle buddy? That's the best they could do? Oh, but it's different than "Battle." Don't ever confuse the two.

Why does it need a title? What about pogues? They aren't going into battle. What kind of buddy do they get, a butt buddy?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pogues got a combat bayonet medal for going to battle...what is really disturbing is the class mottos created by basic training platoons, and the way a battalion comprised of 20% female soldiers says "hoooAAAHH!" like a bunch of nancies instead of the quick, sharp, guttural hooah like a kick to the gut it is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#47]
I joined the Army in '84, I had a buddy, he was my bunkmate.  Never once used the term'battle buddy'. I saw that video of the two numbnuts and the grenade. "Cover me, Battle Buddy!!!  Changing magazines, Battle Buddy!!!  Ready, Battle Buddy!!!  Advance, Battle Buddy!!!" . That just sounded a little...well, ghey.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I joined the Army in '84, I had a buddy, he was my bunkmate.  Never once used the term'battle buddy'. I saw that video of the two numbnuts and the grenade. "Cover me, Battle Buddy!!!  Changing magazines, Battle Buddy!!!  Ready, Battle Buddy!!!  Advance, Battle Buddy!!!" . That just sounded a little...well, ghey.

View Quote

What ever happened to keeping it simple?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:11:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Basically the Army came up with this whole thing to keep the Drills from banging Privates while they were in basic and made them have a partner for EVERYTHING!  Hell the Soldiers cannot speak to the Drills without someone else being there to verify the story and the Drills are not allowed to speak with the Privates without either the Private having a "battle buddy" or the Drills having a "Battle" with them...No shit, it is actually in the TRADOC reg for all this BS...
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Basically the Army came up with this whole thing to keep the Drills from banging Privates while they were in basic and made them have a partner for EVERYTHING!  Hell the Soldiers cannot speak to the Drills without someone else being there to verify the story and the Drills are not allowed to speak with the Privates without either the Private having a "battle buddy" or the Drills having a "Battle" with them...No shit, it is actually in the TRADOC reg for all this BS...
View Quote

try taking a shit without a ranger buddy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top