Page / 15
Posted: 8/29/2017 5:03:31 PM EDT
Vote
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
were it NOT for price differentials...   products  would NOT be available  beyond the factory gates.
   For example: I can buy  GASOLINE in  Barrow Alaska..
Why is Gasoline available in BArrow, you ask ?
Because, for 9 dollars per gallon, it is economically viable to BRING Gasoline to Barrow.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope. Plan ahead as best you can. Sometimes shit just costs more.

Eta. Obamas 8 years was a disaster and .22 prices never came down.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Gouging should not be illegal.  If there is a shortfall in needed supplies, then that's why we have emergency services.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
No, because I want supplies and other needed items to actually make it there before our fast moving government officials eventually get around to it. 
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope.

Also dupe from yesterday
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]
nope
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, the truth comes out.

76% of GD neckbearded 22lr ammo.

Really folks, y'all bitched about ammo hoarders under FBHO but it is okay to neckbeard a case of water or baby formula?  GTFO you bunch of hypocrites.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck no
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]
In a natural disaster it should be illegal to price gouge water and food.

Other times, don't care
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In a natural disaster it should be illegal to price gouge water and food.

Other times, don't care
View Quote
Why do you feel like a private business owes you something?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Lootie don't care.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Really folks, y'all bitched about ammo hoarders under FBHO but it is okay to neckbeard a case of water or baby formula?  GTFO you bunch of hypocrites.
View Quote
I never complained about people hoarding ammo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#14]
If retailers didn't raise prices, shit would be neckbearded like .22 ammo was. I would rather pay $15 for a case of water than not have it because some Ahole  bought all of it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Food, fuel, medications, water.... You know, necessities.

In many states that is all the law provides for, if John Law is running off peeps selling anything else then they are in the wrong.

Everything else is what the market can bear.....Peak Yankee Generators (tm).
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I have no problem with "gougers" as long as it's also OK for the angry mob to beat Mr 100$ water seller with a stick and take all his shit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have no problem with "gougers" as long as it's also OK for the angry mob to beat Mr 100$ water seller with a stick and take all his shit.
View Quote
When is your next ANTIFA protest bro?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If retailers didn't raise prices, shit would be neckbearded like .22 ammo was. I would rather pay $15 for a case of water than not have it because some Ahole  bought all of it.
View Quote
Exactly.

If a seller had 10 cases of water and kept the price at 1.99,the first guy might buy it all.Pricing it at 15.00,people will only buy what they need,leaving more for others.

Still comes back to planning ahead-I bought shit tons of .22 over the years..........the obama years didn't faze me at all.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

When is your next ANTIFA protest bro?
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Any industry that takes federal subsidies should not be allowed to price gouge during emergencies.

Private industry that takes no federal money should be free to charge what they like for the use of their resources.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
were it NOT for price differentials...   products  would NOT be available  beyond the factory gates.
   For example: I can buy  GASOLINE in  Barrow Alaska..
Why is Gasoline available in BArrow, you ask ?
Because, for 9 dollars per gallon, it is economically viable to BRING Gasoline to Barrow.
View Quote
That isn't a disaster situation though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any industry that takes federal subsidies should not be allowed to price gouge during emergnecies.

Private industry that takes no federal money should be free to charge what they like for the use of their resources.
View Quote
That's uh, actually a really smart distinction. @waterglass Your newsletter, how do I subscribe?
Edit: From experience, being able to buy gasoline and necessities at a higher price is way nicer than waiting hours in line, just to be told they're sold out of gas or given away all the free MRE's.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#23]
People who use disaster situations to take advantage of people are pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#24]
No. 

For every selfish asshole trying to take advantage of the situation there are 1000 selfless people helping by volunteering and donating. 

Why don't you start a thread about them and how free market capitalism has created so much wealth that so many people are able and willing to help. 
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#25]
And whos going to layout 1000s of dollars to buy up cases of water and rent a truck to drive it into a flood to sell it for .10 a bottle? Thats right fucking nobody enjoy having no water idiots. Lol price fixing, how about you price fixing dumbasses move down to Venezuala and eat food out of garbage cans so you can enjoy your dumb ideas in action.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#26]
32% of people on this site don't understand that the price system works better at rationing than government. Either that or they don't understand that increased demand with limited supply and no change in price leads to shortages.

ETA: you can think someone is an asshole without locking them in jail for it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Nope. But i wouldnt prosecute anyone who administered a good ass beating to someone who was taking advantage of people either....
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#28]
On things that are a matter of life & death yeah sure...on non essentials...no
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Did Camille and Katrina.  So, your entire community is in ruins, you need food and water and lumber to survive.  Some vampire with in stock survival necessities decides in a "free market" system it's OK to jack up prices buy several hundred percent in the poorest state in the Union in a time of extreme need.  This ain't Hawaii or Alaska where transportation cost are a factor in every day high cost.  This is some greedy motherfuckers making a killing off needy folks in a disaster.  Fuck that.  Prison is acceptable, but my inner red neck would be OK with more extreme actions.  It ain't right, it ain't Christian, and it ain't moral.  It's just free market economy at it's worst and legal.  Practitioners should be shunned and held accountable buy the community.  Tar and feathers comes to mind.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's uh, actually a really smart distinction. @waterglass Your newsletter, how do I subscribe?
Edit: From experience, being able to buy gasoline and necessities at a higher price is way nicer than waiting hours in line, just to be told they're sold out of gas or given away all the free MRE's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any industry that takes federal subsidies should not be allowed to price gouge during emergnecies.

You should be getting gas and diesel from a tank at your home silly. You get it cheaper. Well you could unless BHO made it illegal to have a small private gas company.

You waste lots of money over a life time paying pump prices.

Then you can sell gas at whatever price you like after the hurricane.

My point is It is actually fascism the way it is now for many of the largest companies that own politicians.

Government subsidized industries with federal law for sale is what we got.

Bad. Close enough to news letter.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Big-news-and-philology-thread-/5-2025963/
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#31]
ITT we find out who would rather see a "Sold Out" sign than a marginally (get it?) higher price during a disaster or shortage.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#32]
No I do not, they're private businesses, they can do what they want. But that doesn't mean I don't think they're pieces of shit for doing it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. I voted support for the ban on gouging.

Gun related stuff, no. Those are not natural disaster scenarios.

That said, people need to take it upon themselves to be prepared.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Price gouging is a difficult thing to rule on.
I buy cases of water from Pepsi for $11.00 a case for my store, I sell it for $1.50 a bottle. Cost .45
The movie theaters sells the same bottle for $4.00
Disney sells it for $7.00
The "price gougers" are selling it for up to $48.00 a case.

I Sell it for $36 a case
Movies sells it for $96 a case
Disney sells it for $168 a case
Price gougers selling it for $48 a case.

Who is the thief here? Myself, Disney and the movie theaters have a unlimited supply but we have to chill it.

Am I a minor thief and they are major thieves?

Supply and demand have to be considered.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You should be getting gas and diesel from a tank at your home silly. You get it cheaper. Well you could unless BHO made it illegal to have a small private gas company.

My point is It is actually fascism the way it is now for many of the largest companies that own politicians.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't keep a big tank on my property because of watersheds and a stupid town hall.
For hurricanes I stock up with 50 gallons of gas, and top off at those expensive places to keep the stock of gas available. That way, I can keep the genset fed. I try to keep the tanks full, and burning 2 gallons of gas checking on friends in town is easily worth the $15.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
ITT we find out who would rather see a "Sold Out" sign than a marginally (get it?) higher price during a disaster or shortage.
View Quote
They sell out either way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I can't believe I'm quoting HUFFPO, but they got it right this time:

So-called price gouging is a critical economic tool to ensure that supplies last and so can meet ongoing demand. Making it illegal is ridiculous, and here's why:

Without price increases, many people buy extra supplies "just in case", regardless of what they have tucked away at home already. If too many people do this, supplies run out and people who need them much more urgently miss out. With price increases, people who don't really need supplies will leave them on the shelf not out of the goodness of their heart, but out of concern for their wallet.

Price increases encourage conservation of resources people already have. Those who can most easily adjust their consumption will do so, leaving resources free for those who can't. People might, for example, use their cars more sparingly to avoid having to fill up while prices are inflated.

The ability to raise prices encourages businesses to stock excess reserves. Space in stores and warehouses is limited and products (even water) go off over time. If they're not allowed to raise prices on those items, they'll use that limited space for other products that have higher profit margins the rest of the time.

Allowing price gouging actually encourages citizens to be more prepared for disasters. Do you have enough food and water and other essentials stored at home for you and your family if disaster strikes your town? Or do you just assume you'll be able to go to the store and buy what you need when something goes wrong? Knowing that prices might double, triple, or more during a disaster is a pretty big incentive to go and stock up now instead of waiting -- even for that person who lives right next door to the store!

Finally, rising prices attract more resources from outside of the disaster area, where prices are lower. Nearby businesses, small or large, can easily profit by shipping essential supplies in and selling them at a premium. Without the ability to charge that premium, they would actually end up losing money through shipping costs, overtime wages, and inherent risks of operating is a disaster area. Without the profit motive, many don't take the risk.
View Quote
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/peter-mccaffrey/5-reasons-price-gouging-is-okay_b_3487621.html
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#38]
gym007 thinks thread gouging on controversial subjects should be illegal. That's why he started his own.

Does that joke work? Or do I have that backwards?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Natural distasters are a pretty unique animal.

I do not oppose temporary bans in such extreme circumstances.

Either the price stays the same and more is sold to more people, or the price is raised outside of what (most) people can afford leading to many unable to buy necessary goods.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#40]
When push comes to shove there are only so many ways to ration goods:

1. Price rationing.  A finite supply and increased demand makes the goods more valuable--there are people willing and able to pay the higher prices.  If .gov says you can't they have basically taken part of the value of your property (the difference between the price you could get in a free market and the government approved price).  

2. Line up like we did at gas stations in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

3. Some kind of lottery or schedule.  We did this in the late 1970s and early 1980s too.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd%E2%80%93even_rationing.

I also think that price controls amount to a subsidy of the people who buy the remaining product at the controlled price.  If the gas station has 1,000 gallons of gas and can easily sell it for $8 a gallon and .gov makes them sell it for $4, all you have done is shift the windfall from the owner of the gas station to the people who buy gas worth $8 (under the circumstances) for $4.  

That said, if I owned the gas, plywood, water, etc. I would probably choose to sell it at the market price that prevailed before the disaster or give it to those I felt truly needed it (assuming I could afford to do so), but that is charity.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Did Camille and Katrina.  So, your entire community is in ruins, you need food and water and lumber to survive.  Some vampire with in stock survival necessities decides in a "free market" system it's OK to jack up prices buy several hundred percent in the poorest state in the Union in a time of extreme need.  This ain't Hawaii or Alaska where transportation cost are a factor in every day high cost.  This is some greedy motherfuckers making a killing off needy folks in a disaster.  Fuck that.  Prison is acceptable, but my inner red neck would be OK with more extreme actions.  It ain't right, it ain't Christian, and it ain't moral.  It's just free market economy at it's worst and legal.  Practitioners should be shunned and held accountable buy the community.  Tar and feathers comes to mind.
View Quote
Then even less food, water, and lumber make it to the area it's needed in, and less people survive. If you legally or through violence remove the incentive for those supplies to show up, they won't. 
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Free market.  It sucks, but if demand skyrockets and supply stays the same or falls flat......well.....stuff is going to cost more.

I don't like it, and if it's extreme.....then I will remember the next time I'm shopping........but I don't support legislation to force retailers to sell stuff for any particular price.  

You aren't required to buy it, and the seller isn't required to sell it to you at a price you are wiling to pay.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol so your solution is have no goods because the ppl that are supposed to get you the goods at the same price they were before the shortage dont have any and the government failed to provide any. If I ever saw someone chasing a vendor for goods I need out of my community during a disaster because "muh gouging" Id beat their motherfucking ass. Oh look thanks to dumbass I could have paid more and got some water for my family, but now they get to go thirsty...yea Im not going to be very receptive to that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Natural distasters are a pretty unique animal.

I do not oppose temporary bans in such extreme circumstances.

Either the price stays the same and more is sold to more people, or the price is raised outside of what (most) people can afford leading to many unable to buy necessary goods.
View Quote
lol

Economic and reality fail. As usual.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Nope, but I support mentioning their names long after...quick profit or long term business?- let them decide. We've seen it here with online suppliers who gouged during panics.

Again let them do it, but pay the price for years after- their choice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Illegal? Absolutely not, but if it is illegal it should be enforced like any other law.

Unethical? Absolutely and I will have no sympathy when someone even more unethical takes advantage of them..

Remember this thread boys, Gulf Coast refining capacity has been reduced by 15% and it hasn't hit Louisiana yet which will further reduce capacity.

Supply, demand, capitalism. It's a global commodity and when supplies are interrupted prices go up.

If you feel the urge to complain about your increasing fuel costs refer to one of the many pages of advice from your economic advisors on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#47]
If a gas station wants to increase gas prices during a hurricane, they should pay back all the money they're getting from tax subsidies and gasoline taxes.

If a hotel chain wants to increase their room and board, they should have to pay back all the money they saved by building on land taken by eminent domain and local business tax credits from the city/county.

If they really want capitalism, then we should give them capitalism.

Companies that can't survive aren't bailed out, but left to die. They should pay back every fucking penny they get as special treatment to conduct business.

Buying some hunk of aluminum and then selling it to fat diabetic at a 500% markup at a gun show is not an example of the business model in this country.

If companies really want to take advantage of the situation, they should lose all preferential treatment and get kicked to the curb and be forced to compete with each other or die.

That's capitalism, after all.

No more reduced property taxes as incentive for conducting business. No more eminent domain land grabs. No more politicians twisting the law to help big donors. No more deferring  closure when environmental/safety inspections are violated.

We are all about raw capitalism on this website, let's just fucking put on our big boy pants and do it then.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

lol

Economic and reality fail. As usual.
View Quote
Where did you get your degree in economics and reality?

lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Can't keep a big tank on my property because of watersheds and a stupid town hall.
For hurricanes I stock up with 50 gallons of gas, and top off at those expensive places to keep the stock of gas available. That way, I can keep the genset fed. I try to keep the tanks full, and burning 2 gallons of gas checking on friends in town is easily worth the $15.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even an above ground inside tank in an outbuilding? That is insane!

You can buy 100-200 gallon above ground Plastic or steel tanks for nothing.

We used to have a 150 gallon tank on a tiny home made trailer to gas up machines in the field..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top