Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
This one from the cab is better.

Rode the cab of 844 with Ed Dickens (the guy blowing the whistle like a maestro) a few years back before he became head of UP's steam program. He hasn't lost his touch. He can play those chime whistles like a fine instrument:

Big Boy whistle from the cab
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Coolest thing I’ve seen today.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@TLF thank you sir
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@TLF thank you sir
Happy to help!
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Foamer thread.

Still neat though, should make leftists cry seeing another rolling volcano on rails. That's good.
View Quote
It’s just seeing a vehicle restored that oils it’s drive pistons with liberal tears,sends hippies into spouting pollution  jibberish in the corner and makes dodge diesel truck owners furiously masterbaite at their God.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 6:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I seen it when they moved it to Cheyenne a few years ago

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/UP_4014_Big_Boy/5-1621749/?
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#6]
from the cab after the cobwebs were steamed out.   someone sent me this
it's all in the wrist.
I'll be in Ogden that day.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TOO BAD THEY CONVERTED HER FROM COAL TO OIL DURING THE RESTORATION.  SHE USED TO BURN BIG COAL, NOT NUT COAL.

Love those old locomotives!
How many coaling stations are currently available?
N&W 611 hauls her own coal.

https://www.railpictures.net/images/d2/1/5/5/6155.1470838591.jpg
Beautiful!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#8]
one of many videos out last night of it's first time on the rails in almost 60 years.  first test run..
they are using the Diesel for putting a load on the 4014 using dynamic braking
and if the 4014 needs a ride home it will help with that..
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
one of many videos out last night of it's first time on the rails in almost 60 years.  first test run..
they are using the Diesel for putting a load on the 4014 using dynamic braking
and if the 4014 needs a ride home it will help with that..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNpaKHiyvRo
View Quote
Awesome. Hope everything's tight and she has no problems!
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone know how they are watering her? Local fire departments along the way lending a hydrant and hose?
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I am glad to see people are taking care of these historical trains, and giving them new life.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#12]
More test run goodness!

First Look! Union Pacific "Big Boy" 4014 Test Run in Cheyenne, WY
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone know how they are watering her? Local fire departments along the way lending a hydrant and hose?
View Quote
611 took on water from tanker trucks. The yellow car with the flag on it is probably an aux water tender as well, just to take a guess since 611 had an aux tender directly behind her as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That was a little disappointing.  Watched both videos (over half an hour) and the engine didn't move a foot.  All it did was sit there and make a lot of noise and let out lot of steam.
View Quote
Sounds like me on the toilet half the time....
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Any of you folks up this way want to follow it for a while, I'd say the best spot for doing that is out on HWY-30 outside of Laramie between Laramie and Rock River. Then certain spots between Rock River and Medicine Bow. Medicine Bow to Hanna will be further from the tracks. You can catch it going under some overpasses out near Hanna. But after that you'll be on interstate roads and not be able to legally stop to take video and pics.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 5/3/2019 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Worlds largest steam locomotive is back! Big Boy 4014 hits the main line
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Whistle was completely underwhelming. I hope it was the shitty camcorder.

Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#20]
UP 844 Assists a Stalled 11,620 Ton Freight Train!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 3:41:56 AM EDT
[#21]
The legendary Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 steam engine is running free along with UP 844!
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 4:21:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Yesterday.

Big Boy 4014 & The Living Legend 844 Double Heading Harriman Wyoming 4K Wheel Slip Steam Engine
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#23]
844 came thru several years ago. I chased it up to nowata and got a few good photos. I hope the 4014 comes thru sometime when its ready.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Union Pacific turbines running with the Big Boy.

See Mighty Union Pacific Turbines Battle Up Sherman Hill!
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#25]
One of the videos I got of it yesterday Big Boy

And today
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice drone shot.

Union Pacific - Big Boy 4014
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Hell yes, it gave me goose bumps when I heard it fixed a the end.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#30]
2019 Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 The Great Race to Ogden 2nd Day Compilation
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#31]
It's a shame they don't trust it enough to run it without the diesel auxilary.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's providing the load, run the diesel with the brakes on.

But yeah, it's newly restored and trying to make a trip down the rails for a few hundred miles that would clog up train traffic if it got stopped, seems pretty prudent to me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#33]
UP Big Boy #4014 and UP #844 Doubleheader Incredible Shots!
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Not a train guy by any means but I happened to be heading to work right around the time the train left Green River so I watched it by the side of the tracks go by. There is something about pure, raw, old school machinery that gives you goosebumps. Its too bad that train horns don't sound like that anymore, Big Boy had a more hallow, low pitch sound.  Also pretty cool to see it going down the main line trailing steam for a couple hundred yards.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Bringing the Big Boy Back to Life
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Some of the pics I took...

Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone heard any personal accounts from the train crew?  How is the overhaul holding up? After all, no one has rebuilt a 4-8-8-4 in what, 60yrs?  Expected vs. realized fuel consumption?

All steam engines have a 'soul.' They talk to their train crew in different ways.  I wonder what Big Boy is sayin' to her engineer?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not a foamer or even a train guy, but I recall back about 25 years ago when I was working at a small plant in Leeds, Al. when an old steam train came by.

One of the guys at work knew about and calling us outside to check it. According to him it was some old revived steamer that occasionally takes passengers on a run out of Chattanooga. Hearing and seeing that old beast was pumping a puffing as it drug old classic Pullman cars was a sight.

It was like an leftist envrionmentalist's worst nightmare on rails....a bold bird finger, jutting up from the graves of long passed industrialist's graves.  I will not deny that it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling as it passed puking it's grey smoke.  Guess I'm a budding foamer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

Thousands were there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

But yeah, it's newly restored and trying to make a trip down the rails for a few hundred miles that would clog up train traffic if it got stopped, seems pretty prudent to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They might have needed to do some load testing during the initial shakedown runs, but I would be surprised if the diesel was needed to provide a load for the duration of its journey to Ogden and back.

It is most likely in the consist as a backup in the event of the failure of the steam locomotives, to provide dynamic braking, modern communication equipment and to be the primary locomotive if there are any significant tunnels on the route.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#42]
That’s very cool!
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm not a foamer or even a train guy, but I recall back about 25 years ago when I was working at a small plant in Leeds, Al. when an old steam train came by...

It was like an leftist envrionmentalist's worst nightmare on rails....a bold bird finger, jutting up from the graves of long passed industrialist's graves.  I will not deny that it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling as it passed puking it's grey smoke. Guess I'm a budding foamer.
View Quote
There are only two types of men in the world: those who like trains; and those who do not yet realize they like trains...
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There are only two types of men in the world: those who like trains; and those who do not yet realize they like trains...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not a foamer or even a train guy, but I recall back about 25 years ago when I was working at a small plant in Leeds, Al. when an old steam train came by...

It was like an leftist envrionmentalist's worst nightmare on rails....a bold bird finger, jutting up from the graves of long passed industrialist's graves.  I will not deny that it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling as it passed puking it's grey smoke. Guess I'm a budding foamer.
Where does imitation crab meat enter the equation?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's for dinner.  You can take any leftovers home if you want.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
Great vid Thanks!

Gotta go mop up the puddle.

Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#47]
A friend of mine saw it in Green River, WY.

Attachment Attached File

Forgive the vertical video:

Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I heard its not coming down to Southern, Ca until 2023. Will be at Pomona, CA for some big event in 2023.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Union Pacific turbines running with the Big Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spngeetQfRI
View Quote
The UP Turbines were so fucking cool. Would love to see one of those run again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top