BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like Fuddlore to me, my S&W 637 PC Airweight clearly states +P. So idk what hes talking about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never read that. Got a source?

Sounds like Fuddlore to me, my S&W 637 PC Airweight clearly states +P. So idk what hes talking about.

My 642 Airweight states +P on the barrel, it's about 6 years old. The older vintage Airweights were not rated for +P
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Gold dot for short barrel 135gr. I don’t know if it’s outdated, but it was tops when it came out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Gold dot for short barrel 135gr. I don’t know if it’s outdated, but it was tops when it came out

Same, My 442 gets this I have a ton of it.  I don't shoot the thing much though.  I'm sure I'll have enough of this ammo for 10+ years.

If it’s an Airweight, DO NOT shoot +P loads in it. They will flame cut the aluminum frame. S&W specifically says no +P in them.

Yeah that is just nonsense....
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No longer made because it offered terrible performance through barriers. Not worth the HST name
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Federal HST

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/tested-federal-hst-38-special-p/

https://loungecdn.luckygunner.com/lounge/media/HST-pulled-bullet.jpg

No longer made because it offered terrible performance through barriers. Not worth the HST name

Right. But, snub nose for me is really close engagement. Not shooting through walls.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it's an Airweight, DO NOT shoot +P loads in it. They will flame cut the aluminum frame. S&W specifically says no +P in them. I run standard loads in mine. If Remington brings back the Critical Defense loads for short barrels, I may grab those. I run them in my Shield, and they are low flash, more than accurate.

Didn't S&W put the flame shields on some revolvers just above the barrel for this reason? I know both of mine say +p on the barrel so it isn't really an issue
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
158 grain lead semi wadcutter hollowpoint + p
View Quote

This man gets it.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#6]
357mag, 4"bbl, 158gr loads, here endeth the lesson!
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Right. But, snub nose for me is really close engagement. Not shooting through walls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Federal HST

Car backings are a perfect example of needing barrier performance at close range. Same with any mugging in or around vehicles.

Plus auto glass is a good stand in for bone and the .38 hst sucked
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I carry Gold Dots in my 442:

This guy gets my Nyclads or Winchester Silvertips (Non +P’s):

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If it’s an Airweight, DO NOT shoot +P loads in it. They will flame cut the aluminum frame. S&W specifically says no +P in them. I run standard loads in mine. If Remington brings back the Critical Defense loads for short barrels, I may grab those. I run them in my Shield, and they are low flash, more than accurate.
View Quote

My new production S&W 442 J Frame airweight says on the barrel “.38 spl +p”

Also OP I use Federal Punch in my J frame
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Car backings are a perfect example of needing barrier performance at close range. Same with any mugging in or around vehicles.

View Quote

Check out LuckyGunner, they did a study on them and found really poor performance.  Took them out of my J frames that day.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I have ten 125 grain Smith and Wesson Nyclads left over from the mid-eighties. Too bad they, and Federal,  long since discontinued them. I carry them in my 442.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Didn't S&W put the flame shields on some revolvers just above the barrel for this reason? I know both of mine say +p on the barrel so it isn't really an issue
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it's an Airweight, DO NOT shoot +P loads in it. They will flame cut the aluminum frame. S&W specifically says no +P in them. I run standard loads in mine. If Remington brings back the Critical Defense loads for short barrels, I may grab those. I run them in my Shield, and they are low flash, more than accurate.

The Scandium framed guns have them, I can't recall seeing them on the regular Airweights and glancing at S&W's website it doesn't look like they have them.  S&W has done so many different things over the years that it's entirely possible some had them.  

The early, light weight aluminum framed Air Force guns had special light loads made for them, but as far as I know all of the "Lightweight" series were +P rated.  My 642 is an early production but I have no idea where the box and manual for it are at the moment or I'd see what it says.  I seem to recall them originally saying not to feed it a steady diet of +P but it was fine for normal carry usage.  Most companies rounds are on the anemic side compared to original loading data anyways, that HST round being a good example.  I realize that the ratings are based on pressure, not velocity, but just over 800fps is in the standard .38 range as opposed to the more boutique stuff like Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, etc.  Some of the earlier loading were unofficially listed as +P+ and clocking over 1500fps, definitely above spec (Norma 110gr)*.

*https://revolverguy.com/all-about-the-38-special-p-and-38-special-p/
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#13]
The warning to not use +p in Airweights depends on what time the Airweight was produced.  The early ones aren't as durable as the newer ones.  Best not to use +p in those guns.  Obviously, if it is marked +p, then it is fine to shoot +ps.  Lots of the old guns still out there.
For them, I recommend wad-cutters.  Wad-cutters aren't a bad choice in any .38.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Federal Hydra-Shok Deep seems to do well in gel tests, expanding OK and penetrating sufficiently, and it shoots well out of my 37-2, so that's what I carry.  And even if expansion fails, the front of hollow point is pretty sharp.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This, but I don't have a J frame anymore. The new 442 can be had with no hillary hole also.

The FBI load is a HBWC loaded backwards
View Quote

No, its not.  The "FBI Load", also known under several other names, is a lead semi-wadcutter hollow point, 158gr, loaded to +P pressure.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I shoot a hot 38 special round in a small frame, it can sting a little, so I usually Just hold on loosely, but don't let go
If you cling too tightly. You're gonna lose control.

View Quote

you gonna lose it

you.... gonna ....... lose.,.. control.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Wadcutters for me

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#20]
My choices would be:
Wadcutters or SWC if you need reloads any will work
SWCHP- Either Buffalo Bore or RimRock bullets and roll your own. The newer production big box varieties have a harder alloy and don’t expand well.
Gold Dots
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I keep the federal micro hst in my cylinder for edc. Backup rounds are golden Sabre to be able to reload faster than hst. I have shot these rounds to get my point of aim established a few times. Now I just practice with reloads and some factory fmj at the range. I don’t have a lot of the carry ammo left in my supply but I may order some more golden sabres soon to have for the range. I don’t usually burn through much carry ammo at the range, just stick to fmj. I based my ammo off of the lucky gunner charts and then tested them through my own 642 for poi
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Federal HST

Auto glass also disrupts wadcutters pretty well.  I've posted about it before, but it was pretty demoralizing having three of us fire .38 wadcutters (issued ammo reloaded at the range, not idea the velocity,) at the front window of a Popeye's and having the window defeat the rounds---espcially when the 9mm return fire came right through the window with ease.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#24]
How about 6mm?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#25]
In summer time Hydra Shok Low Recoil 110 Grain.  In winter something a little stouter.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread is relevant to my interests.

I'm new to J Frames. In January I bought a 640.

35 rounds in and the ratchet/star was coming apart. Off to S&W it went for repair. 2 week turn around and I got it back.
75 rounds of WWB 158gr FMJ later and it seems OK so far. Shoots to point of aim at 15 yards. I was able to put 3/5 or 4/5 on a torso at 40 yards several times.
The small size and DAO trigger have been a challenge, but I like it and want to get better. Practice.

I recently picked up some Hornady Critical Defense 110gr .38 +P for carry.  Should I be looking at something else?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Can you tell us a little more about those?  
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Federal HST

Windshields were the main problem iirc
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I carry CORBON  +P 110gr DPX in my 442.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've got a 642 marked the same. He must have read that on the internet.
View Quote

The gun shop counter guy read it on the internet and then told the poster here.    THat's what you call Two-factor authentication.  Don't get any better than that.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Anything that goes bang.

Delivered to the THORACIC CAVITY.

Or as old-timers would say, “BETWEEN THE SHIRT POCKETS.”
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They were generously gifted to my son. A 3" m13, a 649, and a detective  special. All feel like the real guns and fit the right holsters.

I might end up using the m13 for back yard training.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#33]
What's the advantage of wadcutters versus a standard hollow point? Less recoil?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They were generously gifted to my son. A 3" m13, a 649, and a detective  special. All feel like the real guns and fit the right holsters.

View Quote

Thanks for the reply.  

The 649 was really interesting.  Any idea on a brand?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I like the hard cast Buffalo Bore standard pressure 150g WC.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot of the serious revolver guys gave said that in non +P loads, where expansion is iffy, a waddcutter maximizes giving you the biggest diameter wound channel from non expanding bullets, when compared to FMJ, round nose or JHPs that wont expand.  So the wadcutter is making the list for a lot of snubbies for controlability.

The thing I have heard is if you go with wadcutters pay attention to the manufacturer as some are loaded very light and can have poor penetration.  Also the factory wadcutters can be hard to get and come and go.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I scored some golden sabers 125gr +p off budsgunshop for $24/20.

it was 1 of 2 rounds that passed luckygunner's "testing"

Eta: Nvm. Here they are

best deal I could find

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/143919/remington+ammunition+27617+golden+saber+defense+.38+spc+p+125+gr+brass+jacket+hollow+point+bjhp+20+bx+25+cs+for+compact+h

".38 Special is often considered a bit underpowered, so it's no surprise that most of the loads that we tested were unable to meet those guidelines for penetration and expansion. We fired five rounds of every load through each of the two test guns. If you throw out all the loads that had any failures to sufficiently expand or penetrate, you're left with just two .38 Special loads that met the standards with both of the test guns: the Winchester 130 gr +P Ranger Bonded and the Remington 125 gr +P Golden Saber."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/377948/AFD6093C-5E18-4F57-9ABA-29F7FF2C6CAD_jpe-3161152.JPG

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/revolver-ammo-commentary/amp/

View Quote

Yep, and even better in .357 Mag, yet mild enough to be usable.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Paul recommended Hornady Critical Defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMYZjGsC4Nw
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A lot of the serious revolver guys gave said that in non +P loads, where expansion is iffy, a waddcutter maximizes giving you the biggest diameter wound channel from non expanding bullets, when compared to FMJ, round nose or JHPs that wont expand.  So the wadcutter is making the list for a lot of snubbies for controlability.

The thing I have heard is if you go with wadcutters pay attention to the manufacturer as some are loaded very light and can have poor penetration.  Also the factory wadcutters can be hard to get and come and go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Low Recoil, better wound characteristics then FMJ while penetrating deeper then most HPs that expand at those velocities.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Berrys 125 plated HP with 6.4 grains of Power Pistol(+p) works well in my 642.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's an impressive amount of derp to shoe horn into one post.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Weren't there one or two loads that met the FBI criteria, 12 inches penetration and expansion in balistic gel, bare, denim, etc?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it’s an Airweight, DO NOT shoot +P loads in it. They will flame cut the aluminum frame. S&W specifically says no +P in them. I run standard loads in mine. If Remington brings back the Critical Defense loads for short barrels, I may grab those. I run them in my Shield, and they are low flash, more than accurate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542867/IMG_6308_jpeg-3161203.JPG

My Airlight Titanium does say to use jacketed bullets only. I guess lead projectiles can elongate/jump out of the case due to the recoil.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Co2 powered?
I currently carry my j frame with Buffalo Bore either the hard wadcutter or the soft semiwadcutters.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Federal HST

View Quote

That looks like it wants to scoop a piece of attacker out on the way through
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I was using critical defense and bought projectiles to load my own, now I feel I need to research more.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I was using critical defense and bought projectiles to load my own, now I feel I need to research more.
View Quote

Might I ask where you found the Critical defense projectiles.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Berrys 125 plated HP with 6.4 grains of Power Pistol(+p) works well in my 642.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472049/20200829_215851_jpg-3161770.JPG
View Quote

Does it? What do you base that on?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

They put the flame shields on the .357 magnum J frames.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top