Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 62
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

Unless it’s still national defense information, and the government asks it back.

This has been explained several times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

PRA has nothing to do with preventing a President from retaining any type of document.

It is about preserving the records for posterity.

A President may keep copies for reference.

Unless it’s still national defense information, and the government asks it back.

This has been explained several times.

But only if the agency asking for it back is entitled to it. That too has been explained many times.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#2]

I’m an ass and full of sarcasm often, no doubt.  But there seem to be fewer and fewer posters capable of substantive conversations, so it happens.

Post the actual law, cite the indictment, link to an actual Trump quote in perfect context… and the GD tards ask you how often you watch The View. All while Truth Social and YouTube tell them what to think.

Whatever.
View Quote

And calling people tards is sure way to engage in a substantive conversation.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Very well:

You.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AdLucem:

No “principled conservative” would EVER support the Lawfare campaign bring waged by the Left against Trump.

try this.... support your statement

Very well:

You.

This was beautiful and can't be allowed to fall through he cracks unnoticed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]

I’m an ass and full of sarcasm often, no doubt.  But there seem to be fewer and fewer posters capable of substantive conversations, so it happens.

Post the actual law, cite the indictment, link to an actual Trump quote in perfect context… and the GD tards ask you how often you watch The View. All while Truth Social and YouTube tell them what to think.

Whatever.
View Quote

Parroting MSNBC talking points for idiots is far from a substantive conversation. Avoiding the topic of the thread, "US Judge Receptive to Trump Documents Claims in Warning Sign for Prosecutors," does not constitute a substantive conversation. Consistently lying by omission is also not a substantive conversation.

Instead of litigating this case, tell us why Judge Cannon is considering the defense's motions and what the implications are for the case.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Was it really a threat? Not likely, but we don’t know. Did Trump break the law? Probably.

Should Biden have faced similar charges?  That depends. He certainly mishandled classified information, no doubt. But while he wasn’t charged for it, neither was Trump. Trump’s charges were all his refusal to cooperate and obstruction attempts when the government asked for its shit back.

Frankly I’d be fine if the both died in prison. Hillary Clinton can join them. Along with Obama, Holder, and 95% of Congress.
View Quote

This is a fair statement…..
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 10:41:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nu3gawhat] [#6]

View All Quotes

Was it really a threat? Not likely, but we don’t know. Did Trump break the law? Probably.

Should Biden have faced similar charges?  That depends. He certainly mishandled classified information, no doubt. But while he wasn’t charged for it, neither was Trump. Trump’s charges were all his refusal to cooperate and obstruction attempts when the government asked for its shit back.

Frankly I’d be fine if the both died in prison. Hillary Clinton can join them. Along with Obama, Holder, and 95% of Congress.

Not really.

At least some of Bidens docs were STOLEN out of a SCIF.

Then you have the added question of why he was laundering millions of dollars from foreign governments.

Where as, Biden sent the FBI etc to create a process crime with Trump. In which they are bypassing both declassification authority and the presidential records act, to make their alligations.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Right now, we are OBVIOUSLY seeing a Lawfare campaign being orchestrated by the Left.  This is undeniable to anyone with an ounce of integrity.

Per your question:   Yes, there exists a category of serious criminal cases in this universe that fall outside of this current Lawfare campaign.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CMiller:

Your slip is showing.

....those danged principled conservatives keep showing their colors, raising unpleasant facts and ruining the GD narrative....  "who wants facts or needs principles anyway."

No “principled conservative” would EVER support the Lawfare campaign being waged by the Left against Trump.

I'm curious--is there a "seriousness of the crime" threshold for you where you would no longer consider it "lawfare campaign being waged by the left"?

I'm not interested in engaging the question of whether that's really what this is right now, because it's a pointless argument that will never be resolved.  But since you have obviously drawn that conclusion, I'd like to know what it would take for you to draw a different conclusion.

Right now, we are OBVIOUSLY seeing a Lawfare campaign being orchestrated by the Left.  This is undeniable to anyone with an ounce of integrity.

Per your question:   Yes, there exists a category of serious criminal cases in this universe that fall outside of this current Lawfare campaign.

So where's your line?
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Except you don't understand "fair".

Sad.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 1:47:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#10]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Says the Constitution.
View Quote

Well, good thing we’re not taking about a president then. Trump left office before the actions which resulted in the charges.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By R0N:

It is a derivative of Raylan Givens statement on Justified: “If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.”
View Quote

Sure.

But that has nothing to do with being right or wrong.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Sure.

But that has nothing to do with being right or wrong.
View Quote

Some times it does though.  

Sometimes you are the only person right, but often if everyone tells you that you are wrong, it may be your ego that prevents you from accepting that you are in fact the one who is wrong.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

I'm laughing at the possibility you actually believe this.
You drop it in to threads almost as if it's on a schedule.
You ARE bright enough to know there is zero chance of it happening, so writing it out has no penalty.
View Quote

God, forgive me for giving an ounce of credibility and optimism to Trump on the 2016 campaign trail. What a fool I was.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#15]

God, forgive me for giving an ounce of credibility and optimism to Trump on the 2016 campaign trail. What a fool I was.
View Quote

He proved a much better POTUS than I expected.

I think most actual conservatives or libertarians would agree with that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Sometimes you are the only person right, but often if everyone tells you that you are wrong, it may be your ego that prevents you from accepting that you are in fact the one who is wrong.
View Quote

Half the posters in this thread couldn’t even be bothered to read the charge sheet, and still think the charges are for “mishandling classified information”. They are spun up over irrelevancies like cover sheets, and believe a president can claim 2 years after the fact he declassified something in his mind without ever telling anybody at the time. And that foreign military information, daily intelligence briefings, and nuclear information are somehow “personal documents” just because a president says so. If disagreeing with that nonsense against the grain of the echo chamber makes me an ass in your mind, I’m fine with that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Half the posters in this thread couldn’t even be bothered to read the charge sheet, and still think the charges are for “mishandling classified information”. They are spun up over irrelevancies like cover sheets, and believe a president can claim 2 years after the fact he declassified something in his mind without ever telling anybody at the time. And that foreign military information, daily intelligence briefings, and nuclear information are somehow “personal documents” just because a president says so. If disagreeing with that nonsense against the grain of the echo chamber makes me an ass in your mind, I’m fine with that.
View Quote

What EXACT information is in question? Do you know?
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

I'm laughing at the possibility you actually believe this.
You drop it in to threads almost as if it's on a schedule.
You ARE bright enough to know there is zero chance of it happening, so writing it out has no penalty.

I have news for you;  You still are.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:

View Quote

Yep. Taking time to read. Things like the actual federal statute and court filings. And then coming up with an opinion that disagrees with Truth Social.

So foolish.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:51:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Low_Country] [#21]

Not true.
View Quote

It’s absolutely true. Unless you’re going to tell me Trump was still president in 2022.

He was charged with not giving documents back to the government when told to. And then engaging in obstruction of justice.  All after he left office.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#22]

It’s absolutely true. Unless you’re going to tell me Trump was still president in 2022.

He was charged with not giving documents back to the government when told to. And then engaging in obstruction of justice.  All after he left office.
View Quote

What documents exactly?
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:

What documents exactly?
View Quote

Just trust them bro ! Top men !
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#24]

What documents exactly?
View Quote

I don’t know why this is so complicated. Start on page 32.

https://www.justice.gov/storage/US-v-Trump-Nauta-De-Oliveira-23-80101.pdf
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:58:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mooreshawnm] [#25]

I don’t know why this is so complicated. Start on page 32.

https://www.justice.gov/storage/US-v-Trump-Nauta-De-Oliveira-23-80101.pdf
View Quote

It isn't complicated. Just tell me what exact documents are in question.
ETA: your link only has vague descriptions of docs from a proven compromised agency. Do you know what the documents actually are?
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#26]

ETA: your link only has vague descriptions of docs from a proven compromised agency. Do you know what the documents actually are?
View Quote

Man, it’s almost like the entire country doesn’t hold a TS/SCI clearance with every single read-in ever, and a descriptive summary is the only thing appropriate for a publicly released indictment.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Man, it’s almost like the entire country doesn’t hold a TS/SCI clearance with every single read-in ever, and a descriptive summary is the only thing appropriate for a publicly released indictment.
View All Quotes

So you don't. Understood.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:04:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#28]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#29]

They were his documents.  He took them when he left office.  He determined at that time whether they were documents he could take.  He declassified them and deemed them to NOT be categorized as National Defense Information.  They were HIS.  No one in the government can "trump" that determination.  ANYONE else's opinion is completely irrelevant.

Sure, YOU can disagree with his assessment and determination, but HE had the final say.

So sayeth the US Constitution.

I absolutely GUARANTEE that SCOTUS will see it that way, too.
View Quote

I can’t wait to hear the mental gymnastics Trump’s defense is going to have to argue trying to convince a jury or panel of judges that foreign military capabilities, a presidential daily intel brief, or nuclear information is not national defense information.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:11:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#30]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#31]

So you don't. Understood.
View Quote

Well, if you’d get outside of MAGA media and “Jack Smith’s case is falling apart”, you’d understand this is one of the main reasons for the rescheduling of the trial. There are specific laws and rules that must be complied with when a trial deals with classified information and a jury not cleared to see it.  And there was more time needed to ensure it was all going to be complied with.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#33]

There are no "metal gymnastics" required.  He isn't required to explain himself to you or anyone else.  He is the final authority on these matters.
View Quote

And yet, he finds himself as a criminal defendant for exactly that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

There are no "metal gymnastics" required.  He isn't required to explain himself to you or anyone else.  He is the final authority on these matters.

And it is pretty obvious that the case is completely political in nature and not one based on the rule of law.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#36]

And it is pretty obvious that the case is completely political in nature and not one based on the rule of law.
View Quote

The rule of law. I’ll link the law below.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/793

And here is the applicable part:

Whoever, lawfully having possession of, access to, control over, or being entrusted with any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or information relating to the national defense which information the possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, willfully communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted or attempts to communicate, deliver, transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered or transmitted the same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains the same and fails to deliver it on demand to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it; or

An individual in lawful possession of national security information, has to give it back when asked. Seems pretty clear cut.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Whoever, lawfully having possession of, access to, control over, or being entrusted with any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or information relating to the national defense which information the possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, willfully communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted or attempts to communicate, deliver, transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered or transmitted the same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains the same and fails to deliver it on demand to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it; or

An individual in lawful possession of national security information, has to give it back when asked. Seems pretty clear cut.
View Quote

https://www.myarmypublications.com/images/FM71.pdf
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

If the government is entitled to receive it. They aren't.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:35:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LordsOfDiscipline] [#39]

Well, if you’d get outside of MAGA media and “Jack Smith’s case is falling apart”, you’d understand this is one of the main reasons for the rescheduling of the trial. There are specific laws and rules that must be complied with when a trial deals with classified information and a jury not cleared to see it.  And there was more time needed to ensure it was all going to be complied with.
View Quote

Gentle reminder the title of this thread:  "US Judge Receptive to Trump Documents Claims in Warning Sign for Prosecutors"

Bravo!  Highlighted is the reason Jack Smith's case is falling apart and admitting it is a brave step.  If only you were outside of the MSNBC echo chamber only then sanity may revisit and relieve your tortured fever dream.  Good luck Champ.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

It’s not national security information if he declassified it, and it was something he did not declassify prior to leaving, that gets to the other question I asked about who is sending him classified information post his term in office

I will concede the only ruling to date on his ability to determine what is his and is not his, is a non-SCOTUS decision.   As such the current precedent may that he get to decide may not remain after a SCOTUS review, but current precedent is on his side.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

It's hilarious you invoke "rule of law", since that's the actual target you deep state types have in your sights.

Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#42]

They were his documents.  He took them when he left office.  He determined at that time whether they were documents he could take.  He declassified them and deemed them to NOT be categorized as National Defense Information.  They were HIS.  No one in the government can "trump" that determination.  ANYONE else's opinion is completely irrelevant.

Sure, YOU can disagree with his assessment and determination, but HE had the final say.

So sayeth the US Constitution.

I absolutely GUARANTEE that SCOTUS will see it that way, too.
View Quote

There are also the documents the government had in storage and sent to Mar a Lago.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

I'm not sure you are as bright as I just gave you credit for.

Neither of your points I hilited are accurate representations of the conversations I have read on these topics.   You belittle the answers you have gotten as they don't fit your biases.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Yep. Taking time to read. Things like the actual federal statute and court filings. And then coming up with an opinion that disagrees with Truth Social.

So foolish.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:

So foolish.

As foolish as the statement hilited?  

I have never clicked on or opened a link to Truth Social or read a post there.  
You argue with people who have articulated their dislike of Trump but support the constitution and push back against lawfare, then tar them with this kind of petty statement.

Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#46]

I'm not sure you are as bright as I just gave you credit for.

Neither of your points I hilited are accurate representations of the conversations I have read on these topics.   You belittle the answers you have gotten as they don't fit your biases.
View Quote

Don’t know what to tell ya. There is a 20 page thread going about the cover sheets. And one of the “SMEs” here has articulated that exact second point. That an ex-president can claim 2 years after leaving office that he actually did blanket declassify things, despite not telling anybody, taking any associated actions, and his entire administration commenting on the absurdity of such a thing.

But be careful, because it sounds like you are close to agreeing with me on the silliness of such things, and we can’t have that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Let's say that when President Trump was in office, he came to visit your work and was briefed on a highly classified SAP...

He decides that to declassify your presentation and take it with him to Mar a Lago to share with his good friend President Macron of France, who was invited for the weekend.

You, naturally, are OUTRAGED!  You disagree vehemently!

To whom do you appeal?
View Quote

That wouldn’t outrage me at all.

Now, if a former president shared the same information to a news reporter (not the president of a NATO ally) 2 years after leaving office, bragging about how it’s still classified, that’s a different story.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#48]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:59:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#49]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#50]

So, then you agree 100% that a sitting President CAN declassify and share anything he wants, and that there is no higher authority that can be appealed to stop him.
View Quote

Yeah, the authority of a president on such things has never been in doubt. But along with that are assumptions that the President would always act in good faith or in the best national security interests of the United States.

The only check and balance on a president is the power of impeachment, and I could come up with plenty of hypotheticals regarding classification issues which should trigger impeachment. I’m sure you could too.

Page / 62
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top