Those Russian fuzing issues.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GQNgOV6WkAAGg3P?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote
most SAMs probably don't have proximity fuses designed to take into account targets that small
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

Ze Germans have been looking at 140mm for a while because they aren't allowed to use DU for their penetrators. They have to go bigger to get close to the same performance as a US 120 APFSDSDU.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/xynekS9.jpeg

I don't see that a 130 or 140mm gun is necessary in the near future.

Sometimes you need to turn a 3 story building into a single story building right NOW.

Then just rip the bandage off and go to 127mm/5' or 155mm.  No use in reinventing the wheel when one already has over a century's worth of firing and ballistic data to exploit in the design phase!

Ze Germans have been looking at 140mm for a while because they aren't allowed to use DU for their penetrators. They have to go bigger to get close to the same performance as a US 120 APFSDSDU.

The Krauts are pushing for a 130mm and the Frogs for a 140. Either one would surpass the M829-series by a significant margin due to higher pressure and a larger chamber.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:24:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#5]
Originally Posted By swede1986:

The Krauts are pushing for a 130mm and the Frogs for a 140. Either one would surpass the M829-series by a significant margin due to higher pressure and a larger chamber.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By swede1986:
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
https://i.imgur.com/xynekS9.jpeg

I don't see that a 130 or 140mm gun is necessary in the near future.

Sometimes you need to turn a 3 story building into a single story building right NOW.

Then just rip the bandage off and go to 127mm/5' or 155mm.  No use in reinventing the wheel when one already has over a century's worth of firing and ballistic data to exploit in the design phase!

I’ll still put forward my amateur opinion that real forward-thinking would be to consider the next caliber and indeed the next vehicle as DP AAA.
The USN made the right call ahead of WW2 with the 5”/38.
Cheap drones of all sizes are coming and IMO, single-purpose vehicles will be obsolescent by the time they’re developed and built.
130mm is probably a better DP gun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:33:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#6]

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Looks like a big transformer going off.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#8]
https://i.redd.it/6z03avgdsy6d1.jpeg

View Quote

Basically this, but also add terrain masking by the drones. The SPAAG won't be able to protect itself, much less the surrounding area.  We need persistent airborne sensors that can detect and track incoming UAS a long way off so that interceptor drones can be launched and guided in.  Then, every AFV needs to have something like the 30mm airburst cannon on an automated remote weapon station to kill any leakers.  If you have a formation of AFVs working together in a network with airborne sensor platforms, the 30mm guns can cover multiple angles simultaneously and be prepared for each incoming weapon before it even has line of sight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

Basically this, but also add terrain masking by the drones. The SPAAG won't be able to protect itself, much less the surrounding area.  We need persistent airborne sensors that can detect and track incoming UAS a long way off so that interceptor drones can be launched and guided in.  Then, every AFV needs to have something like the 30mm airburst cannon on an automated remote weapon station to kill any leakers.  If you have a formation of AFVs working together in a network with airborne sensor platforms, the 30mm guns can cover multiple angles simultaneously and be prepared for each incoming weapon before it even has line of sight.
View All Quotes

Yup, I think interceptors are going to be the only viable long range option.  Then the vehicles themselves will have to be bristling with a system similar to the Israeli "Trophy" system to shoot down the ones that get through.

I predict that trying to shoot these little drones down with anything that shoots a single projectile will not work very well.  Jamming won't work because the later generations are going to be autonomous.  Either some sort of birdshot or some "cloud of thread" weapon will be needed for mid-range work.

I sure hope we have some good heads trying to figure this out, and a bunch of 16 year old drone racers trying to beat it.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Guided proximity fuzed 30 and 35mm rounds will help as well.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:15:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#11]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
most SAMs probably don't have proximity fuses designed to take into account targets that small
View All Quotes

Yeah, I was having a spot of fun.

Found the video.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:30:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#12]
20+ minutes of Kraken combat at Chasiv Yar.  Mental.
????? ?? | ??? ?? ????? | KRAKEN

Trump statements on Ukrainian aid at campaign rally.

Former U.S. President and presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump voiced strong criticism of American aid to Ukraine at a campaign rally in Detroit on June 15.
Speaking at the Turning Point USA event, Trump claimed he would "have that (U.S. aid to Ukraine) settled prior to taking the White House as president-elect."
Trump described President Volodymyr Zelensky as "the best salesman" for securing substantial financial support from the U.S.
"I think Zelensky is maybe the greatest salesman of any politician that's ever lived. Every time he comes to our country, he walks away with $60 billion," Trump remarked.
"Now, here's the beauty. He just left four days ago with $60 billion, and he gets home and he announces he needs another $60 billion. It never ends," Trump claimed. "I will have that settled prior to take the White House as president-elect."

Russian STRELA misses a UA spotter drone

Ukrainian combat ops under sporadic artillery fire

Kamikazes destroy two Russian T-series tanks.  Second one looks almost like an off-route mine disables it and a kamikaze then hits almost immediately, blowing it up with the crew inside.

Guardian article about Russian video released on Telegram telling about the horrific conditions, 12 out of 100 surviving in his unit, 1 week of training before the front.

The telegram clip in question.  I’m looking for a reddit version.

Two Russian motorcyclists get zapped by kamikazes.  No spotter.

New, smaller UA sea drone with outboard motor.

Azov rotating into a trench.

Russian squad assaults UA positions and is driven off with losses.  At least one small arms kill.

“We could have peace talks tomorrow if Russia leaves Ukraine.”

More Zelensky statements

Canada sending another $38M in aid

Lithuania hands over M113 C&C and demining variants

Leopard 1 SHORAD

Norway donating big bucks to support Ukraine’s electrical system

Ukraine has proposed an “all for all” POW exchange, but Russia is not interested.

Russian manages to blow up a Kamikaze with rifle-fire, but probably still catches frag.

Russian POV, multiple destroyed Russian vehicles driving through Donetsk.

Still pic.  Destroyed Russian T62 in the Kherson region.

Russian POV, laughing at their own logistics

Kind of interesting video, Ukrainians using drone spotting for various weapons for long-range fire, including .50BMG.

«????? ?????» «?????» ????? ??????. ?????? ?????????? ??? ??? ??????
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Found the video.

View All Quotes

Found the video.

I hope there is a longer version where the drone calls in FPV drones or artillery.   Every SAM system the Ukrainians can take out before they get the F-16's is valuable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Russian Tor-M2 fires missile, May 2024 Donetsk Oblast

Orc or not, these vertical starts and 90° direction changes are neat to watch.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Former U.S. President and presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump voiced strong criticism of American aid to Ukraine at a campaign rally in Detroit on June 15.
Speaking at the Turning Point USA event, Trump claimed he would "have that (U.S. aid to Ukraine) settled prior to taking the White House as president-elect."
Trump described President Volodymyr Zelensky as "the best salesman" for securing substantial financial support from the U.S.
"I think Zelensky is maybe the greatest salesman of any politician that's ever lived. Every time he comes to our country, he walks away with $60 billion," Trump remarked.
"Now, here's the beauty. He just left four days ago with $60 billion, and he gets home and he announces he needs another $60 billion. It never ends," Trump claimed. "I will have that settled prior to take the White House as president-elect."

View Quote

Call me crazy, but I don't think that fiscal matters are the prime concern of a man who added $8.4 trillion to our national debt. The GOP isn't reviving fiscal conservatism or becoming isolationists. The GOP deliberately made a man who spent more in a single year than Obama did in an entire term their nominee, when there were better options who hadn't spent like drunken sailors. Look at the response to support for Israel in Gaza, Houthis, the killing of Solemani, etc. The Trump wing of the GOP is solely and uniquely isolationist and fiscally conservative when it comes to Russia.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#18]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

Call me crazy, but I don't think that fiscal matters are the prime concern of a man who added $8.4 trillion to our national debt. The GOP isn't reviving fiscal conservatism or becoming isolationists. The GOP deliberately made a man who spent more in a single year than Obama did in an entire term their nominee, when there were better options who hadn't spent like drunken sailors. Look at the response to support for Israel in Gaza, Houthis, the killing of Solemani, etc. The Trump wing of the GOP is solely and uniquely isolationist and fiscally conservative when it comes to Russia.
View Quote

You’re not crazy.  Excuses will be made right to the end.
Unfortunately the alternative is also unpalatable.  If the dems were running a Bill Clinton they’d walk away with this election.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Tikhoretsk is a target rich envirnment:

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:48:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#20]

Looks like an airburst drone. Anyway, this orc got a couple of speedholes making him bleed out faster.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Looks like an airburst drone.
View All Quotes

Looks like an airburst drone.

There haven’t been many if any sightings of flying claymores lately.  My guess is there’s a counter that makes them unsafe for the users.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I said in the beginning of the war, UA should weaponize alcohol.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Second army of the world!

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Birddog15:

Yup, I think interceptors are going to be the only viable long range option.  Then the vehicles themselves will have to be bristling with a system similar to the Israeli "Trophy" system to shoot down the ones that get through.

I predict that trying to shoot these little drones down with anything that shoots a single projectile will not work very well.  Jamming won't work because the later generations are going to be autonomous.  Either some sort of birdshot or some "cloud of thread" weapon will be needed for mid-range work.

I sure hope we have some good heads trying to figure this out, and a bunch of 16 year old drone racers trying to beat it.  

View Quote

Maybe the best defense will be other drones. Incoming threat detected, defense drones launched and somehow find the targets either autonomously or target data is transmitted to them. Probably both. Some type of "trophy" system would be good also, probably still needed for ATGMs and RPG type threats but also be capable against drones that get through.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

I mean everyone here knows whats going to happen if he wins.  Finances will dry up and Ukraine will likely get over run with refugees going into Europe.

And of course the response will be
"It's Europe's problem not ours"
And the simpletons will eat it up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:29:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jaehaerys] [#27]
Crimea and the Black Sea Fleet in Russian- Ukrainian Relations. Here's a discussion paper from 1995. Of particular interest are the parts where it discusses early Russo-Ukrainian relations, and how Russia never came to terms with the existence of an independent Ukrainian state following the dissolution of the USSR. Some excerpts:

In Kiev in November 1990, Boris Yeltsin and Leonid Kravchuk signed a friendship treaty in which Russia and Ukraine recognized each other as sovereign states. It was a tactical alliance between two provincial leaders, who were demonstrating their opposition to Gorbachev's rule and fostering the disintegration of the Soviet Union. In a referendum on December 1, 1991, more than 90 percent of the Ukrainian population voted for independence, and within a week, Yeltsin recognized Ukraine's independence unconditionally.

Since that time, Ukraine has been an independent state, though many Russians are reluctant to recognize that fact. The prior integration of Ukraine and Russia for more than three hundred years has brought about very strong political, ethnic, economic, cultural, demographic, and psychological challenges to Ukraine's independence. The "elder-younger" brother syndrome and the propagation of Russian culture and language as "higher," as well as a historically-claimed Russian mission civilisatrice have produced a paternalistic Russian view of other peoples of the former Soviet Union, particularly Ukrainians and Belarussians.1 These historical stereotypes, built up over centuries, are unlikely to disappear overnight. According to Roman Szporluk, "most Russians apparently never took the "Ukrainian Question" [whether Ukrainians are an independent ethnic entity with a right to national sovereignty or if they are just one ethnic branch of a larger, Russian ethnicity] seriously, and, accordingly, regarded the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic as a fiction. They continued to think of Ukraine as a part of a larger and more real Russia."2 Most Russians, including powerful decision-makers, can hardly reconcile themselves with the idea of a free and independent Ukraine. The threats of Russia's attempts to re-absorb Ukraine were acknowledged as late as 1992 by US Ambassador Strobe Talbott who commented that:

The brutal fact is that many Russians -- notably including Russians that we would consider to be good guys, liberals, reformers -- in their government, do not accept the independence of Ukraine. And Ukrainians know that. That is one reason why Ukrainians know there is no state on the face of the earth that has more need for security guarantees against Russia than Ukraine.3

Opposition to an independent Ukraine has been expressed in the statements or actions of numerous Russian politicians, which are aimed at either the re-creation, in some form, of the old Soviet Union, or re-establishment of Russian hegemony in the region. The most extreme statements against Ukrainian independence have come from Russian nationalist parties and organizations. The most significant representative of the radical imperial nationalists is Vladimir Zhirinovsky, the head of the Liberal Democratic Party. According to Zhirinovsky, there is no Ukraine and there is no Russian Federation; there is only one big Russia.4 Despite his eccentricity, Zhirinovsky clearly represents a trend in Russian nationalism which is anti­-reformist, chauvinistic, revanshist, and anti-Western in nature. Sergei Baburin, one of the leaders of the National Salvation Front, was quoted in May 1992 as telling the Ukrainian Ambassador in Moscow that, "either Ukraine reunites with Russia or there will be war."5 Of great concern in Ukraine are trends within the Civic Union, a coalition of the "industrial lobby" headed by Arkadiy Volsky, the Democratic Party of Nikolay Travkin, and Communist Party of Russia, headed by Gennadiy Zjuganov, such as difficult economic, political and even military pressure used against Ukraine if it does not voluntarily reunite with Russia.

On the whole, Yeltsin has been quite careful to avoid making statements which could evoke negative reaction in Kiev, but it is quite obvious that he has not welcomed Ukraine's independence. Yeltsin has been quoted as saying that, "Russia reserves the right to review the borders with those republics that declared themselves independent."6 Sergei Stankevich, President Yeltsin's political adviser, suggested to Western diplomats in the spring of 1993 that they not bother opening embassies in Kiev as they would soon be downgraded to consulates. Stankevich also cautioned against establishing political-military ties too close to Ukraine. A senior official in the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry replied that, "Russia's attitude toward its neighbors can now be compared to Germany's in 1939. "7

Many Western observers and Russian politicians have argued that concerns about extreme' statements or actions emerging from Russian politicians are exaggerated or unjustified. However, most observers, scholars, and politicians in Ukraine feel otherwise. "It cannot be stressed strongly enough that without Ukraine, Russia ceases to be an empire," states Zbigniew Brzezinski, "but with Ukraine suborned and then subordinated, Russia automatically becomes an empire."8 The Ukrainian political elite shares these considerations and opposes the idea of any Russia-centered "confederation." Russia, with its imperialist mentality, could be viewed as the natural, historical enemy of an independent Ukraine, and there is no reason to believe that in the near future Russia will abandon its traditional view of Ukraine as an integral part of Russia
View Quote

To me, this is by far the largest nail in the "NATO expansion started this war" coffin. Russia never accepted the existence of an independent Ukrainian state in the post-Soviet era. Russian territorial claims to Ukrainian territory, aggressive rhetoric, encouragement of separatism in Crimea, coercion against Ukraine, etc. all predate any NATO expansion eastwards, and were there from the very beginning of the dissolution of the USSR onwards.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Residents of Lipetsk also report an attack on the Novolipetsk Metallurgical Plant

https://t.me/astrapress/57693

Governor of Lipetsk Oblast

Another UAV was suppressed over the industrial territory of Lipetsk. There are no casualties.
Law enforcement officers are working at the scene.

https://t.me/igor_artamonov48/2912

Two more UAVs were suppressed over the industrial territory of Lipetsk. Law enforcement officers are working at the scene of the debris fall. There are no casualties.

The red alert level remains. Detection and suppression systems are on alert.

I ask you not to publish photos and videos about the consequences of such attacks. This helps the enemy adjust direction and accuracy.

https://t.me/igor_artamonov48/2913

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#29]
The danger of a UAV attack has been declared in the Voronezh region, said regional governor Alexander Gusev.
https://t.me/vestiru24/122939

Two Ukrainian drones were destroyed over the territory of the Voronezh region by air defense systems on duty, said the governor of the region, Alexander Gusev.
https://t.me/vestiru24/122947

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#30]
⚡Sumshchyna
The situation at the border as of 21.00
June 16, 2024

💥During the day, the Russians carried out 5 shelling of the border territories and settlements of the Sumy region. 35 explosions were recorded. Yunakivsk, Krasnopilsk, Velikopysarivsk, and Znob-Novgorodsk communities came under fire.

▪️Yunakiv community: the enemy fired with barrel artillery (2 explosions).

▪️ Znob-Novgorod community: Russians dropped 7 mines on the territory of the community.

▪️ Velikopysariv community: airstrikes were carried out from the territory of the Russian Federation from helicopters of the National People's Army (16 explosions).

▪️Krasnopil community: artillery shelling (10 explosions) was recorded.

https://t.me/Sumy_news_ODA/27233

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Russian media

16 June 2024, 21:40
Drone war: Russian air defense has learned to effectively fight UAVs
Russian front-line air defense has learned to effectively combat dangerous drones

Pentagon chief Lloyd Austin confirmed that Kiev will receive the first F-16 fighters very soon , we are talking literally about 3-4 weeks. These aircraft are clearly not planned to be used as front-line bombers or attack aircraft, not to mention attempts to gain dominance in the skies. They are supposed to be used mainly as launch vehicles, if, of course, they can.

Among Russian pilots and air defense fighters, a very impressive monetary reward has already been announced for the first American shot down, so the hunt will be hot. Seriously, we have been proactive for a long time now. Just this week, our Armed Forces carried out several group strikes on the infrastructure of the Ukrainian Air Force. "Daggers" destroy targets at airfields in Starokonstantinov and Kiev Zhulyany airport. Moreover, here, according to some reports, another Patriot complex was also liquidated. However, not only “Daggers” are used - the Iskander complexes are incredibly effective . With its help, this week the airfield in Mirgorod and several Su-27 fighters parked there were destroyed.

The West admits that it has fewer and fewer resources to pay for arms supplies to the Zelensky regime. NATO rejected an offer to give him $40 billion annually. Out of 30 countries, only 13 agreed to transfer tanks to Kyiv, a little more are ready to share drones, but problems will soon arise with them too. Izvestia military correspondent Alexander Safiulin is confident that our front-line air defense has learned to very effectively deal with these truly very dangerous weapons.

Air defense units work around the clock

The footage shows the Avdeevsky direction. There are dozens, if not hundreds of enemy drones in the sky: from ordinary copters to large winged UAVs such as “Valkyrie” and “Fury”.

The front-line air defense units of the Center group work around the clock.

“They’re hitting from all the trunks. Don’t stick your head out into the light, stand under the tree, reduce your movement ,” says Safiulin.

We can see another Supercam flying over our positions, most likely the same Valkyrie.

“ Everyone saw above us and started working with machine guns ,” notes correspondent Alexander Safiulin.

The task of the detachment is to “close” the sky from the enemy, to deprive them of the opportunity to conduct reconnaissance and strike. The military protects soldiers, equipment, ammunition, and hospitals on the front line. Air defense systems are one of the key elements of layered defense. Anti-aircraft guns and missile systems are placed and camouflaged on the ground. The fighters also use conventional small arms. At such moments they use all their weapons.

Small white dots appear in the sky.

To hunt large drones of the Ukrainian Armed Forces of the Baba Yaga type, they use the ZU-23 installation - the rate of fire from two machine guns is up to two thousand rounds per minute, the range is up to two kilometers. This allows you to literally catch up with the target.

Each calculation clearly knows its task

The footage shows that the enemy is being cunning - he is deliberately circling over the positions in order to lure our fighters out, to see where and with what they will attack them, because there are more serious weapons of destruction here.

Large UAVs are hit by the Strela-10 anti-aircraft missile system. It covers infantry and artillery, destroys low-flying targets, and can shoot while moving. The ammunition load consists of eight missiles.

“ When we hear that the missile launcher is working on the other side, we pay attention to a target that can fly from that side. There is coordination with other units, there is communication, we adjust the frequencies ,” said an officer of the Russian Armed Forces with the call sign Harpun.

The military selects the means of destruction for each specific target. Safiulin showed how a Ukrainian drone was destroyed, which was trying to calculate the positions of our fighters.

The footage shows a portable air defense system "Igla" with automatic targeting. The destruction range is from 500 to six thousand meters. It shoots down targets at speeds of up to 320 meters per second.

Each air defense crew working on the front line knows its task and reliably covers other units. In the era of “drone wars,” they reliably protect the skies by shooting down enemy drones every day.

https://ren.tv/longread/1231071-rossiiskaia-frontovaia-pvo-nauchilas-effektivno-borotsia-s-opasnymi-bpla

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Residents of Russian cities report explosions, shootings and drone attacks

📍So, residents of Lipetsk reported an attack on the Novolipetsk Metallurgical Plant and explosions and smoke above the tractor plant.

The regional governor confirmed the drone attack, but insisted that “everyone was shot down and suppressed.” At the same time, an air threat regime was introduced in the Lipetsk region.

📍Residents of the Voronezh region of Russia also reported explosions at night. The governor of the region announced an attack by UAVs, which, according to him, were shot down, but “the danger of drone attacks in the region still remains.”

📍In Tikhoretsk (Krasnodar Territory) they also reported explosions in the air and heavy shooting.

🤡The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation reported on the downing of a UAV over the Krasnodar region by air defense means.

https://t.me/Pravda_Gerashchenko/94743

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:53:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#34]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF_gwOkV8yU

Kamikazes destroy two Russian T-series tanks.  Second one looks almost like an off-route mine disables it and a kamikaze then hits almost immediately, blowing it up with the crew inside.

Guardian article about Russian video released on Telegram telling about the horrific conditions, 12 out of 100 surviving in his unit, 1 week of training before the front.

Russian squad assaults UA positions and is driven off with losses.  At least one small arms kill.

More Zelensky statements

Leopard 1 SHORAD

Ukraine has proposed an “all for all” POW exchange, but Russia is not interested.

Russian manages to blow up a Kamikaze with rifle-fire, but probably still catches frag.

Kind of interesting video, Ukrainians using drone spotting for various weapons for long-range fire, including .50BMG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHKaunRnZ1o
View Quote

I will not vote for Donald Trump if he refuses to support Ukraine's war effort against Russia. I've been a registered Republican since 1980. He needs to have a heart attack or stroke so we can field someone with common sense and some historical perspective.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#35]

🇷🇺🇺🇦 Chronicle of a special military operation
for June 16, 2024

Over the past 24 hours, Russian troops have hit enemy targets in the so-called territory. Ukraine. The strikes hit Poltava, Cherkassy, ​​Sumy, Chernigov and the temporarily occupied territories of the DPR and Zaporozhye region.

In the Slobozhansky direction there are battles in the area of ​​the Volchansky aggregate plant, where the enemy is trying to dislodge Russian troops from their positions. And in the Glubokoe area, the Ukrainian Armed Forces command is bringing new reserves into battle.

In the Donetsk direction, the Russian Armed Forces are conducting an offensive in Krasnogorovka, trying to dislodge the Ukrainian Armed Forces from positions in the area of ​​the park named after. Shevchenko. Russian attack aircraft advanced to the eastern outskirts of Maksimilyanovka and began fighting in the south and southwest of the settlement.

In the Ugledar direction, Ukrainian formations were finally knocked out of the ruins of Paraskovievka, retaining their presence only in the forest plantations to the west of the village. Nevertheless, it is premature to talk about consolidation in the western part of the settlement.

In the Avdeevsky direction, Russian troops have significantly expanded the zone of control in the west and north of the Novoaleksandrovka-Arkhangelskoye arc. Also, attack aircraft of the Russian Armed Forces have gained a foothold in the east of Sokol, battles for which have continued over the past days.

In the Zaporozhye direction, the settlement of Zagornoye was finally taken under control, from where the enemy was driven out last year. Russian units advanced through the beams in the south and east, after which they secured a foothold in the village itself.

https://t.me/rybar/61008

⚡️Front-line report for the morning 06/16/2024⚡️

Zaporozhye Front. Without changes. Positional battles continue in the Rabotino area and northwest of Verbovoy. (Fig. 1)

Donetsk front. Here the RF Armed Forces continue to move towards Konstantinovka and towards Maksimilianovka, which is almost adjacent to the recently liberated Georgievka. Fierce urban fighting continues in Krasnogorovka. In the Karlovka area, Russian troops continue to advance on both sides of the reservoir; there are tactical successes on the outskirts of Karlovka itself, in the area of ​​the dacha village. Fighting continues on the outskirts of Yasnobrodovka. In Sokol, the Russian Armed Forces are also conducting assault operations inside the populated area. Without much progress. (Fig. 2)

Chasovoyarsk direction. The assault on the eastern suburb of Chasov Yar continues. Russian troops, despite fierce resistance, continue to push through the defenses of the Ukrainian Armed Forces in this area, while simultaneously trying to improve positions on the flanks. Long-range weapons are actively working. (Fig. 3)

Kharkov front. Fierce fighting continues here in the central part of Volchansk and in the Glubokoye area. Ukrainian troops are carrying out counterattacks, trying to dislodge the Russian Armed Forces from their occupied positions, but they cannot completely seize the initiative. (Fig. 4)

https://t.me/wargonzo/20544

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#36]
???????. ?????. ???? 844. ?????????????

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

I will not vote for Donald Trump if he refuses to support Ukraine's war effort against Russia. I've been a registered Republican since 1980. He needs to have a heart attack or stroke so we can field someone with common sense and some historical perspective.
View All Quotes

More Zelensky statements

Leopard 1 SHORAD

Same. I never thought I'd see the day but I don't recognize what the Republican Party has become.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

More Zelensky statements

Leopard 1 SHORAD

With Trump you never know exactly what he means when he says things. For example, if by "settled" he means he'll have a number in mind and stops the drip-drip-drip and actually give them what they need to win rather than pussyfoot around, I can get behind that. Trump is big on "winning" so I'd be surprised if that isn't his goal. I'm hopeful he ignores the isolationist wing of the party like he did with the tubby rocket boy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:48:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#39]
Weekend Ukraine map thread 🧵 for Sat/Sun 15-16th June 2024

Highlights: Ukraine forces seen walking in Klishchiivka, bringing the settlement back under Ukrainian control if recent

Vovchansk footage shows the town is still very contested. The footage coming out is getting hard to date, so note we'll likely be slightly inaccurate there, as is standard with urban fighting.

Russian forces assault and advance near Rozdolivka, north of Bakhmut. Small Russian advance at Krasnohorivka too. Russian assaults on Sokil repelled.

Map: https://uacontrolmap.com

View Quote

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:57:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#40]
https://www.thedefensepost.com/2024/06/17/philippine-chinese-vessels-collide/

"A Philippine ship and a Chinese vessel collided near the Spratly Islands in the disputed South China Sea on Monday, Beijing's Coast Guard said.

"The Philippine replenishment ship ignored many solemn warnings from the Chinese side," Beijing's coast guard said in a statement.

It "approached the  Chinese vessel in an unprofessional way, resulting in a collision," the statement said."

The poor Filipinos don't have any means to endanger the PRC so I find the Chinese claims here absurd. They continue ramming, lasering and using water cannons to bully their way into legitimacy. Hopefully video comes out soon to dispel the PRCs lies.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:06:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#41]
Originally Posted By Prime:
Russian media

16 June 2024, 21:40
Drone war: Russian air defense has learned to effectively fight UAVs
Russian front-line air defense has learned to effectively combat dangerous drones

Pentagon chief Lloyd Austin confirmed that Kiev will receive the first F-16 fighters very soon , we are talking literally about 3-4 weeks. These aircraft are clearly not planned to be used as front-line bombers or attack aircraft, not to mention attempts to gain dominance in the skies. They are supposed to be used mainly as launch vehicles, if, of course, they can.

Among Russian pilots and air defense fighters, a very impressive monetary reward has already been announced for the first American shot down, so the hunt will be hot. Seriously, we have been proactive for a long time now. Just this week, our Armed Forces carried out several group strikes on the infrastructure of the Ukrainian Air Force. "Daggers" destroy targets at airfields in Starokonstantinov and Kiev Zhulyany airport. Moreover, here, according to some reports, another Patriot complex was also liquidated. However, not only “Daggers” are used - the Iskander complexes are incredibly effective . With its help, this week the airfield in Mirgorod and several Su-27 fighters parked there were destroyed.

The West admits that it has fewer and fewer resources to pay for arms supplies to the Zelensky regime. NATO rejected an offer to give him $40 billion annually. Out of 30 countries, only 13 agreed to transfer tanks to Kyiv, a little more are ready to share drones, but problems will soon arise with them too. Izvestia military correspondent Alexander Safiulin is confident that our front-line air defense has learned to very effectively deal with these truly very dangerous weapons.

Air defense units work around the clock

The footage shows the Avdeevsky direction. There are dozens, if not hundreds of enemy drones in the sky: from ordinary copters to large winged UAVs such as “Valkyrie” and “Fury”.

The front-line air defense units of the Center group work around the clock.

“They’re hitting from all the trunks. Don’t stick your head out into the light, stand under the tree, reduce your movement ,” says Safiulin.

We can see another Supercam flying over our positions, most likely the same Valkyrie.

“ Everyone saw above us and started working with machine guns ,” notes correspondent Alexander Safiulin.

The task of the detachment is to “close” the sky from the enemy, to deprive them of the opportunity to conduct reconnaissance and strike. The military protects soldiers, equipment, ammunition, and hospitals on the front line. Air defense systems are one of the key elements of layered defense. Anti-aircraft guns and missile systems are placed and camouflaged on the ground. The fighters also use conventional small arms. At such moments they use all their weapons.

Small white dots appear in the sky.

To hunt large drones of the Ukrainian Armed Forces of the Baba Yaga type, they use the ZU-23 installation - the rate of fire from two machine guns is up to two thousand rounds per minute, the range is up to two kilometers. This allows you to literally catch up with the target.

Each calculation clearly knows its task

The footage shows that the enemy is being cunning - he is deliberately circling over the positions in order to lure our fighters out, to see where and with what they will attack them, because there are more serious weapons of destruction here.

Large UAVs are hit by the Strela-10 anti-aircraft missile system. It covers infantry and artillery, destroys low-flying targets, and can shoot while moving. The ammunition load consists of eight missiles.

“ When we hear that the missile launcher is working on the other side, we pay attention to a target that can fly from that side. There is coordination with other units, there is communication, we adjust the frequencies ,” said an officer of the Russian Armed Forces with the call sign Harpun.

The military selects the means of destruction for each specific target. Safiulin showed how a Ukrainian drone was destroyed, which was trying to calculate the positions of our fighters.

The footage shows a portable air defense system "Igla" with automatic targeting. The destruction range is from 500 to six thousand meters. It shoots down targets at speeds of up to 320 meters per second.

Each air defense crew working on the front line knows its task and reliably covers other units. In the era of “drone wars,” they reliably protect the skies by shooting down enemy drones every day.

https://ren.tv/longread/1231071-rossiiskaia-frontovaia-pvo-nauchilas-effektivno-borotsia-s-opasnymi-bpla

View Quote

I wonder how many Patriot batteries they’ve “liquidated” so far?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:
https://www.thedefensepost.com/2024/06/17/philippine-chinese-vessels-collide/

"A Philippine ship and a Chinese vessel collided near the Spratly Islands in the disputed South China Sea on Monday, Beijing's Coast Guard said.

"The Philippine replenishment ship ignored many solemn warnings from the Chinese side," Beijing's coast guard said in a statement.

It "approached the  Chinese vessel in an unprofessional way, resulting in a collision," the statement said."

The poor Filipinos don't have any means to endanger the PRC so I find the Chinese claims here absurd. They continue ramming, lasering and using water cannons to bully their way into legitimacy. Hopefully video comes out soon to dispel the PRCs lies.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

More Zelensky statements

Leopard 1 SHORAD

Don’t hold your breath or visit GD.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:13:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#44]
«????? ?????» «?????» ????? ??????. ?????? ?????????? ??? ??? ??????

?? Ukraine War Update - Bradley Keeps Destroying Russian Armor • Russia Advances Despite Losses

?????? ?? ??????????: ?????? ?????? ?????, ?????????? ?????????? ?????????? ?? ????????? (ENG SUB)
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:31:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#45]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

With Trump you never know exactly what he means when he says things. For example, if by "settled" he means he'll have a number in mind and stops the drip-drip-drip and actually give them what they need to win rather than pussyfoot around, I can get behind that. Trump is big on "winning" so I'd be surprised if that isn't his goal. I'm hopeful he ignores the isolationist wing of the party like he did with the tubby rocket boy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:

More Zelensky statements

Leopard 1 SHORAD

It’s perfectly clear what he means most of the time, but people make excuses for him regardless.  Hold him accountable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:11:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:47:27 AM EDT
[#49]

Talk about a worthless security team
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:54:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#50]
Looks like the Chicomms are starting to worry about drones and/or birds

Also looks like PLA troops are starting to adopt a Multisham version of our Army/Air Force uniform complete with Coyote Brown boots.

Page / 502
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top