Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in Big Stone Gap bi-weekly now but I can't plan that far in advance so I subscribed to this thread.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#2]
In for shenanigans
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#3]
11 so far!
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got a ticket. I'll be there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Got ticket.

Still a maybe just because possible Cola duties but I really really want to go and make this work.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought my ticket.

I'm in for setting up my Ham stuff and suggest you put us Hamsters together so we don't bother the other folk.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#8]
16 so far on evening #1. This won’t be good…it will be epic!
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#9]
In with Tix for me and a buddy.

NE TN guys, I'm thinking about having a flag to rally under.
IYKYK
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag, cause.

Got some stuff around that date, but not on. . .at least not yet.  Need to see if I gots the duty that weekend.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Tagged.

Ticket purchased!  Big thanks for coordinating this. Really looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SkyFive:
I'm in Big Stone Gap bi-weekly now but I can't plan that far in advance so I subscribed to this thread.
View Quote

Howdy!

I live in Big Stone. Yes, I'll be there, helping as I can.

What brings you to the bustling metropolis of Big Stone?
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Absolutely interested, I'll ask some other arfcommers this week. I'm not far off.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in (local to you). I can help with medical.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:30:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4K] [#15]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

Nowhere around here to be honest.

But plenty of space to bring a Hotel 6 sized tent. Plenty of room for tarps, truck camping, or whatever.

I would love to work on a breakfast food truck but again it really depends on how many actually sign up so we can get ideas on a real world head count.

If this is a twenty person event then food trucks aren’t coming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
Directions to a well-air conditioned Motel Six with clean bath and shower?  …. Plus a decent Bob Evan’s or Cracker Barrel nearby?

It’s the only way to make LARP-ing ‘Deliverance’ work for me.

Nowhere around here to be honest.

But plenty of space to bring a Hotel 6 sized tent. Plenty of room for tarps, truck camping, or whatever.

I would love to work on a breakfast food truck but again it really depends on how many actually sign up so we can get ideas on a real world head count.

If this is a twenty person event then food trucks aren’t coming.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Hotels+in+Wise

Wise and Norton are about 40 miles.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Got mine!
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:
In with Tix for me and a buddy.

NE TN guys, I'm thinking about having a flag to rally under.
IYKYK
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60540/1000002933_jpg-3240240.JPG
View Quote

Tell me how much
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#18]
In!
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#19]
How far is this from my camper in Tazewell, TN?
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I will attend the wife is out.  I will book a spot after we get back from our Alaskan cruise next week.  I will bring the inflatable screen and the projector.  I must vote for predator though
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Pokernut:
I will attend the wife is out.  I will book a spot after we get back from our Alaskan cruise next week.  I will bring the inflatable screen and the projector.  I must vote for predator though
View Quote

Hey, that is a fair compromise.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:20:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#22]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:
How far is this from my camper in Tazewell, TN?
View Quote

Less than an hour.

In fact my buddy’s second shop is in Tazwell. Liberty Arms.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Less than an hour.
View Quote

Your definition of very southeast tip sucks then, wife’s from Middlesboro and cumberland gap tunnel is by the VERY tip
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Less than an hour.

In fact my buddy’s second shop is in Tazwell. Liberty Arms.
View Quote

I’ll sign up. And i’ll go bug him next weekend then.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Tagging
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Southern Appalachia is the Appalachian master race.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Who’s picking at the distillery? Know a fair amount of the virgina boys, uncle had a band up towards Newcastle and Doc Watson’s sister was one of the nurses that helped deliver me when I was born.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Your definition of very southeast tip sucks then, wife’s from Middlesboro and cumberland gap tunnel is by the VERY tip
View Quote

Dude, Virginia is 430 miles long. I am in the very last county out of 95. That's the tip.  I am six hours from DC. I am closer to 8 other state capitals than my own. Over one ridge is TN and the other is Kentucky.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Who’s picking at the distillery? Know a fair amount of the virgina boys, uncle had a band up towards Newcastle and Doc Watson’s sister was one of the nurses that helped deliver me when I was born.
View Quote

Its a community session, so we never really know though we have some regulars for sure. So.e nights its five and some nights its 15. But its always fun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By :

Dude, Virginia is 430 miles long. I am in the very last county out of 95. That's the tip.  I am six hours from DC. I am closer to 8 other state capitals than my own. Over one ridge is TN and the other is Kentucky.
View Quote

Oh shush Mr Geography lesson

Btw, I’d be happy help with classes. Former Combat engineer, Alaskan and have been in the bush most of my life.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:32:11 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Less than an hour.

This is pretty close to the tip

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

This is pretty close to the tip

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/IMG_3477_jpeg-3240296.JPG
View Quote

Hiked up to the three corners the other day. Straddled em all
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Over 20 of us in the first 12 hours. This is going to be something!
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DaveM4K:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Hotels+in+Wise
Wise and Norton are about 40 miles.
View Quote

I have heard that the only hotel in Wise County worth staying at is in Big Stone, a Quality Inn. I've never stayed at any of them, but I live in Big Stone.  Any of the hotels won't have much for fancy, not sure about clean. The one in Big Stone supposedly stays booked up with out of town workers. Work trucks are parked there all the time.

There are some Air BnBs, VRBOs around, but not too many.

Big Stone will be 25 minutes out, if you are from the mountains, 35 minutes for flat landers.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Is it mandatory to stay from the 3rd to the 6th? I can’t get there on Thursday. I could only really swing getting there on the night of the 4th or early morning of the 5th then staying through the end.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:
Is it mandatory to stay from the 3rd to the 6th? I can’t get there on Thursday. I could only really swing getting there on the night of the 4th or early morning of the 5th then staying through the end.
View Quote

Of course not. Just stay for as little or as long as you want. I just did the evening of the 3rd so folks had the option of setting up that evening and then having 2 full days. But I don't have an option to pay by the day or anything, its just $25 no matter and then we will all have a place to actually use the bathroom!

23 of us so far!
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Of course not. Just stay for as little or as long as you want. I just did the evening of the 3rd so folks had the option of setting up that evening and then having 2 full days. But I don't have an option to pay by the day or anything, its just $25 no matter and then we will all have a place to actually use the bathroom!

23 of us so far!
View All Quotes

23 of us so far!

Great! Make it 24
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Bringing fly fishing gear to hit little stony on the way back out of town.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Let me add that at some point I will be asking for T-shirt sizes, but not today

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#40]
We'll be there! Possibly three of us, including our son.
Is there parking space for a small camper?
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Macsabbath:
We'll be there! Possibly three of us, including our son.
Is there parking space for a small camper?
View Quote

Acres.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Is it worth bringing a kayak?
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By BIG-DUKE-6:
Is it worth bringing a kayak?
View Quote

To fish? It kind of depends on how much rain. The river can get quite low. But I have floated it many times.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Acres.
View Quote

Great!

Just bought the tickets; see you then!
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#45]
In.

At some point you should add a link for additional donations.  I doubt I'm going to get there in time to help with setup or do anything useful, so I'd be happy to kick in a bit more to help cover costs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#46]
@canoeguy

Im going to try to make it, my daughters been dying to go camping, but neither of us have ever been.

Regardless, let me see if I can try to contribute...

@VortexSam

Hope all is well! Since we didnt do the VCDL raffle this past year, think you guys could send something canoeguys way to help his event and all the Arf members attending?
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
@canoeguy

Im going to try to make it, my daughters been dying to go camping, but neither of us have ever been.

@VortexSam

Hope all is well! Since we didnt do the VCDL raffle this past year, think you guys could send something canoeguys way to help his event and all the Arf members attending?
View Quote

This would be a very good way to ease into camping and there is plenty of room that you and your daughter could get away from all the snoring old men. Even go back in the woods if you like. The section we will be on is 140 acres with probably 30 of that in field. So space is no issue.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#48]

This would be a very good way to ease into camping and there is plenty of room that you and your daughter could get away from all the snoring old men. Even go back in the woods if you like. The section we will be on is 140 acres with probably 30 of that in field. So space is no issue.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
@canoeguy

@VortexSam

How is the access.. 4x4 truck needed or car ok?
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Guns and alcohol,  what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#50]

How is the access.. 4x4 truck needed or car ok?
View Quote

Car is fine. It’s a gravel road about 1/2 a mile back in and I will dress it up a bit with a tractor before the event. The fields are solid and unless there is a monsoon they should be easily driven on.  I have never used 4wd other than on the very bottom road that runs along the river and that can be pretty sandy but I don’t think we will utilize that for vehicles.

If anything should happen there will be a dozen over-eager guys just itching to spring into action and show you what their Taco can do. Or we have a tractor right there. But honestly you would have to try to get stuck. Don’t try to get stuck.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top