BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.............( iirc 1/2 of Covid money still hasn’t been spent yet ).................
View Quote

Do you have a link to that?

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

pizza parties and unlimited PTO which you can't use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In this thread we learn money can buy happiness and loyalty.

What other methods do you suggest to keep employees happy and loyal?

pizza parties and unlimited PTO which you can't use.

Now you've done it.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was policing, the HR of the town liked to have "ice cream socials".
She said the PD was not a team player as we didn't attend any. The Chief
explained that we worked 12 hour shifts and when we were off the last
thing on our minds was coming back in for something like that and having
to hear her town cheerleading drivel. We were happy when she got fired
later on.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was told by management once that money is a poor motivator....
So managements idea to motivate was give employees things like movie tickets.......
I dont think it worked out so well but what do i know
View Quote

Money is a poor motivator unless it's hanging out in front of a person.

There's like a 30 day period after a raise where someone is more motivated but after that it just becomes "baseline" for them again.  If you are going to use money as a motivator, it's got to be like the proverbial carrot hanging from a string.  So things like bonuses or incentive programs that keep turning over are more effective than just a straight up raise.

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In this thread we learn money can buy happiness and loyalty.
View Quote

It can't but if you have to work 7x12 every week and still eat ramen for half your meals you're probably going to stop caring about whatever it is you're doing at work.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You pay their wages, all costs are passed on to the consumer.
View Quote

Including the cost of turnover
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Turnover pays for itself because someone straight outta college gets about $4 less per hour base rate than I do.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Gen-X asshole here.

Work for a company that is solid. I am not going anywhere aka quitting. Been here 21 years. Working on retirement asap, that is if the DNC economy doesn't fuck me over more. Hopefully people in this country smarten the fuck up, not gonna happen.... You all know what I mean. FUCKING ENEMIES TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.

That said... I was told over the last 8 years if I did "X", then that would lead to a promotion and then I could get better than .5 to 1 percent raises. You know HR BS "that position has a cap of $XXXX". HR people should suck start a shotgun... After all CXX levels get real good raises, and HR doesn't say shit. and CXX don't get promoted to a higher position.

So I did the "extra work" for those years, ~13 hours days, 5 to 6 days a week. Well FUCK that, now they get an honest 8 hours m-f. Why? Well no promotion, and suck ass raises.

I personally saved the company just this year over $700,000 a year, but could they throw me any of it, FUCK NO.

They give lots of verbal "Hey your awesome, great, etc..." But that don't buy shit.

Spread the word and have everyone you know use a computer to find the letter combo "demo" in the Constitution of the United States. Then have them do a find for the letter combo "repub". If they still say  some shit of "threat to our democracy" after that they deserve to be labeled an enemy of the Constitution of the United States.

RANT OFF!!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#10]
pay more costs go up.  

then we bitch the cost of things are too high.

min wage is $15hr here, $15 fucking dollars hrs!  
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]
deleted
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now...Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired."

Such a great movie

View Quote

At my Big Oil job, we had a fire at the very tail end of 2017.  Our unit/department was down for the whole month of January 2018.

Later in 2018, the number 3 guy in the refinery came in to talk to us with his power point slides and excel spreadsheets.

He said that for us being down for a whole month was a “lost profit opportunity” of $6,000,000 .

It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure that was an LPO of $200,000 per day.

Nobody in my department makes $200,000 per YEAR!

at that time of the  fire there were 6 positions that needed to be filled per each 12 hour shift.

Sooooo….144 man hours ….per day

Let’s say the hourly rate back then was $40 per hour.

So big oil was only blowing $5,760 per day in wages.

And still clearing a $200,000 profit per day….in just our department.  

They are making out like freakin’ bandits.

I ran the math on the kerosene we produce per day….if it was a finished product, and at street retail prices, we produce $1,500,000  worth of kero per day.

They ought to put us on commission.

Or give us production quota bonuses.

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]
The middle class will continue its downward spiral. Liberals love it because more people will get on the government teat. Conservatives love it because GDP is still going up regardless.

America is fucked.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Turnover pays for itself because someone straight outta college gets about $4 less per hour base rate than I do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless your company really sucks and they come in the same as you at 15 years plus a sign on bonus, and then you have to train them
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unless your company really sucks and they come in the same as you at 15 years plus a sign on bonus, and then you have to train them
View Quote

That would have funny outcomes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The middle class will continue its downward spiral. Liberals love it because more people will get on the government teat. Conservatives love it because GDP is still going up regardless.

America is fucked.
View Quote

Well FJB did say recently "the blood of liberty". What a tyrant he is.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
See, that's that "risk mitigation" right there. The last thing they want is an organized labor force built on multigeneration families with effective political representation able to guarantee good pay, good working conditions, and a salubrious society.  They'll curb stomp a civilization and drown it in boiling fried chicken grease before letting workers have a say in things.  They'll import infinity immigrants to drive down the social cohesion that could build such a thing.  They'll kidnap your children, castrate them, sodomize them, and proudly parade them through the streets until you abandon all hope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
P400: Has to be. Find any approach other than investing in the actual employees.
See, that's that "risk mitigation" right there. The last thing they want is an organized labor force built on multigeneration families with effective political representation able to guarantee good pay, good working conditions, and a salubrious society.  They'll curb stomp a civilization and drown it in boiling fried chicken grease before letting workers have a say in things.  They'll import infinity immigrants to drive down the social cohesion that could build such a thing.  They'll kidnap your children, castrate them, sodomize them, and proudly parade them through the streets until you abandon all hope.

Gotta love capitalism ammirite
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its happening every day, especially in corporate controlled blue collar jobs.

Guy I know spent 18 years at his company, kept getting the "can't promote because you're too valuable in your position" runaround but measly (if any) raises every year. Last 18 or so months they've been perpetually shorthanded, and everyone they have hired has come in at almost the exact same pay as experienced guys, plus sign on bonuses and experienced guys had to train them all. Unfortunately where he lives theres not a ton of options for decent work.

Three weeks ago several experienced guys got "restructured" out the door and told via email. Not allowed inside the gate to get their stuff, locker contents brought out in boxes with a "thank you" letter
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The replies here are why we lose elections.  Fuck the workers actually making the money, the CEOs need that vacation home while the employees are trying to keep a decade old car running while making rent.
View Quote

But those CEO's pulled realllll hard on them straps
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is the bottom line, not morals and people simply walking away.

No one in history worked shitty jobs and long hours because they WANTED too, they did so because the alternative was literal starvation/ homelessness, etc. the current reasons we can’t find workers is simple, between government handing out endless free benefits of 1000 different kinds ( iirc 1/2 of Covid money still hasn’t been spent yet ), and enabler family, like mommy letting her 20-30 something kids live in their child hood bedrooms rent free, without working, and family members paying their bills, rent, etc…. That’s where the workers went.

A arfcommer recently said his deadbeat, lazy, shitbird brother, who’s not a artist , or musician of any kind, who refused to work, had been getting $2500-$3000 a month from Covid money to “ help artists who lost income via Covid “.

Great example of where the workers went. Once these benefits dry up / get throttled back / shut down, every job will have 100 applicants desperately looking for any job.
View Quote

Tell me you didn't read the article without telling me lmao
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Here's a thought: Make yourself more valuable. As an employer, I am paying for skills, experience and reliability. I am not running a social service. If you decided to have a few mouths to feed without a plan do be able to do so, well, not my monkeys, not my problem. All this "living wage" bullshit is just that. Be a better product and someone will pay more for it. A simple concept evidently lost on the way to social justice.
View Quote

Try to support a whole family on $15/hr, or less. I'm sure it's "liveable" enough for you. Go ahead. Try it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I saw an incentive program announcement this week where the top 25% of the employees would be eligible for a possible bump in their raises based on merit.   The bump is 0.5% on top of average 3% annual raise.  

Company can't figure out why staff is coming and going in 2 years on average and the $200k+ crowd thinks $20/month is going to fix the problem.  They cut pensions years ago, took away a week of PTO last year and kept 3% raises the last 3 years.  

With boomers retiring the workforce is shrinking.  There is literally more jobs than people if every company tries to operate and produce the same quantity as 5 years ago.  The only way to combat the trend is to become more efficient.  High quality, more efficient people cost more and know they are worth more.

Excellent employees, past coworkers, are leaving and getting 25%-30% raises at new job.  Critical review of employee worth needs to take place or the good ones leave.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Which industry doesn’t pass costs onto the consumer again?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

depends on the industry.

Which industry doesn’t pass costs onto the consumer again?

Prices are determined by marginal utility to the buyer, not cost of production.  Producers can’t automatically pass cost increases on to the consumer if there’s nothing to motivate the consumer to pay more.  They may have to accept less profit or stop production altogether.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#24]
My current employer (until July 1st, at least) is struggling overall. They’ve set the sales targets out so far that half of the company isn’t making a single dollar of commissions.

Also there’s zero transparency as to what we’re getting credit for and we’re punished for macroeconomic reasons that we have zero control of.  Not to mention we still don’t have our goals for June.

If you think you’re going to get high performance from salespeople with no incentive to work hard, you’ll find yourself in the situation you’re in now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gen-X asshole here.

Work for a company that is solid. I am not going anywhere aka quitting. Been here 21 years. Working on retirement asap, that is if the DNC economy doesn't fuck me over more. Hopefully people in this country smarten the fuck up, not gonna happen.... You all know what I mean. FUCKING ENEMIES TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.

That said... I was told over the last 8 years if I did "X", then that would lead to a promotion and then I could get better than .5 to 1 percent raises. You know HR BS "that position has a cap of $XXXX". HR people should suck start a shotgun... After all CXX levels get real good raises, and HR doesn't say shit. and CXX don't get promoted to a higher position.

So I did the "extra work" for those years, ~13 hours days, 5 to 6 days a week. Well FUCK that, now they get an honest 8 hours m-f. Why? Well no promotion, and suck ass raises.

I personally saved the company just this year over $700,000 a year, but could they throw me any of it, FUCK NO.

They give lots of verbal "Hey your awesome, great, etc..." But that don't buy shit.

Spread the word and have everyone you know use a computer to find the letter combo "demo" in the Constitution of the United States. Then have them do a find for the letter combo "repub". If they still say  some shit of "threat to our democracy" after that they deserve to be labeled an enemy of the Constitution of the United States.

RANT OFF!!!!!!

View Quote

Yep. I get lots of attaboys and kudos and great jobs, but I make half of what I made a year ago and all they do is hire people from outside the organization to fill open positions. The culture is dying at the company, and I’m not hanging around for its final breaths.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Welfare should have a fixed timeframe and life time limits.

Start pulling back on the free shit and give tax breaks to those who work.

Years ago a wise man said that everyone one welfare should get a free python every year.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From the article:

So what are companies to do? One potential solution may be investing more in management. The report found workers are more likely to be engaged when their managers are, too.  

https://media1.tenor.com/m/WyX5TT9_b6sAAAAC/officespace-walking.gif

Brought to you by the same geniuses who campaign on teacher salaries and then hire more admins.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Use more corporate speak. It really rallies the employees
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Just wait and see... ARfComs neo-lib/neo-con "capitalists" will come out in force to recommend we bring back slavery, import the ENTIRE 3rd world...just to avoid giving their employees a $1 raise.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here's a thought: Make yourself more valuable. As an employer, I am paying for skills, experience and reliability. I am not running a social service. If you decided to have a few mouths to feed without a plan do be able to do so, well, not my monkeys, not my problem. All this "living wage" bullshit is just that. Be a better product and someone will pay more for it. A simple concept evidently lost on the way to social justice.
View Quote

Here's a thought: I have a friend who a little over a year ago had to take around a 50% pay cut relative to what he was worth (long time mainframe and embedded programmer) because the market is so bad. Then he recently was fired because it turns out the boss was incompetent and has no clue how his own industry works, while claiming that he was massively overpaying.

For a bonus round same friend was recently poked by a recruiter for a senior mainframe programming job, at wages which would be just *barely* this side of insulting for a junior position.

I know multiple other people who are in similar boats. And I've been working at Walmart for a little over a year because, again, no one is interested in hiring unless you have a Great Pyramid sized reputation.

And even Walmart has finally had to admit that they can either increase hourly and reinstate bonuses, or they can continue not being able to get done what needs to get done because there is never even close to enough people.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When I was policing, the HR of the town liked to have "ice cream socials".
She said the PD was not a team player as we didn't attend any. The Chief
explained that we worked 12 hour shifts and when we were off the last
thing on our minds was coming back in for something like that and having
to hear her town cheerleading drivel. We were happy when she got fired
later on.
View Quote
HR ladies, by and large, belong in the deepest pits of hell.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Here's a thought: I have a friend who a little over a year ago had to take around a 50% pay cut relative to what he was worth (long time mainframe and embedded programmer) because the market is so bad. Then he recently was fired because it turns out the boss was incompetent and has no clue how his own industry works, while claiming that he was massively overpaying.

For a bonus round same friend was recently poked by a recruiter for a senior mainframe programming job, at wages which would be just *barely* this side of insulting for a junior position.

I know multiple other people who are in similar boats. And I've been working at Walmart for a little over a year because, again, no one is interested in hiring unless you have a Great Pyramid sized reputation.

And even Walmart has finally had to admit that they can either increase hourly and reinstate bonuses, or they can continue not being able to get done what needs to get done because there is never even close to enough people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guys take was such an out of touch garbage take it wasn't even worth responding to, but good on you for trying
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

So do you pay your employees based on performance?  If so what kind of industry?  Do you allow your employees as much work as they want or is a 8-5 Monday - Friday gig?
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That was such an out of touch garbage take it wasn't even worth responding to, but good on you for trying
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was such an out of touch garbage take it wasn't even worth responding to, but good on you for trying
Did you quote the wrong person? All he was relaying was his own experience and that of his friend. What "bad take" are you referring to?
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Everybody bitching about how much they're being paid should get off their ass and start a business.

C'mon! It's easy!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Everybody bitching about how much they're being paid should get off their ass and start a business.

C'mon! It's easy!!!!
View Quote

I have a business. It's small, but has been doing rather well actually.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cheap labor is incredibly expensive.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Business leaders and corporate fat cats have insisted we import rapefugees. They're totally happy with watching your daughters be raped and murdered with impunity...just so they can get richer off the depressed wages theg bring with them.

For all this, Conservatives expect me to die on the hill of tax cuts for these CEOs and other rootless cosmopolitan  C-Suite trash? Fuck them.

If I had to choose between saving $1 and saving the life of some Globalist, neo-liberal, Epstein-associated CEO... I'd pick the $1. Fuck those assholes.

Tim Apple has no problem using literal slave labor in China. He's had employees threaten MASS SUICIDE at his factories. But that's all OK because he likes to have dicks shoved up his degenerate ass.

If I ran across a Trolley Dilema and on one set of tracks was Tim Apple and the other a Sea Urchin... I'd save the Sea Urchin.

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Did you quote the wrong person? All he was relaying was his own experience and that of his friend. What "bad take" are you referring to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one he responded to, hence why I said it wasn't worth responding to but good on him for trying.

Based on the comment he responded, the responder is most likely wasting his breath on someone who is out of touch with today's world

Eta rereading it i can see where the confusion would be, i could have worded it better
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Try to support a whole family on $15/hr, or less. I'm sure it's "liveable" enough for you. Go ahead. Try it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're having children while making $15 an hour, that's poor decision making and that's on YOU.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#41]
It's fucking jeans and Hawaiian shirt day, who cares
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm just here to laugh at a company putting out an article about unhappy employees, when they spend over 31 million dollars a year to put their name on the side of a football stadium.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Just annaunce revenue and profit increases in the high 20% bracket on the townhall and give out 3% raises accross the board a litterall week later.

Has worked wonders for morale with my employer.
And i am sure it will pay huge dividends down the road if the difference between a hard working top employee and the lazyiest pos is 1% per year.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just annaunce revenue and profit increases in the high 20% bracket on the townhall and give out 3% raises accross the board a litterall week later.

Has worked wonders for morale with my employer.
And i am sure it will pay huge dividends down the road if the difference between a hard working top employee and the lazyiest pos is 1% per year.
View Quote

I used to work at a company that announced higher profit increase than that, and then gave lower raises than that.

People run companies like this and then all their skilled people leave and they just can't figure it out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do you understand incentives? Why would anyone bother running a company if they can't make a profit?  And if they don't make money they lose money and go out of business.  It's not the CEO's fault the economy sucks.  

Who wrecked the economy and threw all everything out of whck?  Answer that question and you know who's at fault.  I'll give you a hint - it's the same people who are calling it "greedflation" and blame companies for raising prices when their costs go up.   Blame deflection, how does it work?
View Quote
Lmao, companies constantly report record profits while increasing prices and shrinking product.

Sure there are other factors in play but you cannot ignore how much the CEOs make compared to the rank and file.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lmao, companies constantly report record profits while increasing prices and shrinking product.

Sure there are other factors in play but you cannot ignore how much the CEOs make compared to the rank and file.
View Quote

"Our profits went up $50,000 per employee last year."

"Oh, raises, right, well everyone on the floor is getting a $.45 raise, temps are getting bumped all the way up to only $1 less than Sheetz down the street (30% raise) and I'm trading my yacht in for a bigger one"
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Lol communism is gonna win…
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

depends on the industry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

depends on the industry.

Every single cost a business has comes out of the businesses income. That comes entirely from it's customers. You can separate it out in your mind but 100% comes from the customer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Stop giving them free shit, and they will work
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gross profits aren’t net profits and most companies are spending like dumbasses now so they are actually losing money.  Our company was a successful company that got bought.  All the new owners and management look at is gross and the older employees are watching their spending taking bets on whether the company makes it another 6 months. Lol.

We keep telling our bosses that their costs and overhead are up and their gross isn’t enough to carry the company forward. They keep thinking they’re gonna hire themselves out of the rut.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top