Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Give me some weed so I can use it at work.

I will be a stoned out contributor to the world economy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gotta love capitalism ammirite
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
By the way, a family needs an income over 100k per adult before money stops buying happiness, but even then more income improves ones evaluation of their life.  So for a family of five plus a live in older relative they probably are nearing a household income of half a million before money stops buying happiness.

Noooo, you don't need a high wage.
Noooo, you don't need to eat meat or drink milk.
Noooo, you don't need a functioning society of robust communities with politically strong churches.
Don't you want a pizza party and a performative struggle session for pride day instead?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Now on the small business level:

You run the day to day, make sure everything gets done and quality doesn't suffer, oh ya you've been here longer than any employee I've had in 20 years and I appreciate that. Oh ya, you've brought in the best two helpers that we've had in as long as I can remember, and I appreciate it. Oh ya, you promote the business on social media and in person, and try to sell work, and I appreciate it.

But I can't pay you this week. I know you eat bologna sandwiches and we eat 90% of our meals out. I know I don't have my own bank account and all my personal funds come from the business. I know I'm taking cruises and camping trips in my new truck and you're looking for a part time job, but thank you for being the one I can trust to run things after 10 years of not having a vacation. I know you have worked your tail off to help grow it and I don't return phone calls or messages or delay until people go elsewhere because there's certain aspects I just won't let go of, but for some reason everything is really slow and we can't afford maintenance on our cobbled together equipment to keep things running, so I'll pay you and the hands when I can but you'll be home today.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest because this is why when people say "just go start a business" not everyone needs to be running a business
View Quote

If you are treated so unsatisfactorily why did you stick around after year two?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You know how inflation works? And no I don't mean the plainly ignorant boomer economics that thinks inflation is caused by raising wages, I mean how it actually works...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did the guy who tried to bring manufacturing back to the US and put in place protectionist import rules, non-free market rules U might even say, and was fought every step of the way by establishment politicians and press, screw you?

You know how inflation works? And no I don't mean the plainly ignorant boomer economics that thinks inflation is caused by raising wages, I mean how it actually works...

Nixon decoupling the dollar from the gold standard screwed us more than all of the half measures since then combined.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did the guy who tried to bring manufacturing back to the US and put in place protectionist import rules, non-free market rules U might even say, and was fought every step of the way by establishment politicians and press, screw you?

Nixon decoupling the dollar from the gold standard screwed us more than all of the half measures since then combined.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Damn boomers.  Nobody gives a crap what you did back in the 50s and 60s I don’t know if you’ve noticed now or not. It’s not the 50s and 60s and having more than one car is pretty much a requirement since both people work.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the 50's having one car was normal, two were rare unless both worked which was also rare. 3+ was almost unheard of. Even in the 60s, a teenager's first car was an old beater. Rarely less than 3 years old. My first car cost $100 and another $100 to get it running. How many cars are in a school parking lot that are older than 4 years old? No one had thousands of dollars worth of toys. Going on expensive vacations was rare, an almost once-in-a-lifetime event. We didn't have $1000+ BBQ grills, less a pizza oven from Italy. Homes tended to be half the size of homes these days and we had larger families too. We didn't have a walking closet full of clothes either. A pair of dress shoes and a pair of tennis shoes were all most people could afford. TV, what the hell was that, much less cable? How did people survive back then?

We grew about half of what we ate. I never had a steak unless Dad got a deer or two that year. Canned tuna was all you got for seafood unless you had a good day fishing. Saturday was sports day. About 20 of us started playing baseball or football from after breakfast to supper time. No leagues, coaches, refs, fancy equipment, or scoreboards. The plates were made of cardboard. We even played football in the snow. The field was in our backyard or after the farmer harvested his crops. Now you have soccer moms hauling their kids all over the state for a soccer match. Back then sports didn't wag the dog.

Y'all have it so good and think you are entitled to more and you can't even pay for it. Wonder why?

Damn boomers.  Nobody gives a crap what you did back in the 50s and 60s I don’t know if you’ve noticed now or not. It’s not the 50s and 60s and having more than one car is pretty much a requirement since both people work.  

“Y’all stop complaining!  75 years ago, you’d be happy to have a single 15” color television for the entire family to share!”

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If there was life insurance to cover my wife I wouldn't be
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the long nap

Glad you are sticking around, TX. Good luck and hang in there.

If there was life insurance to cover my wife I wouldn't be

Fucking pathetic. You’re not wealthy and your answer is to kill yourself?  Pure cowardice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fucking pathetic. You’re not wealthy and your answer is to kill yourself?  Pure cowardice.
View Quote

Pretty sure his situation is beyond just “not being wealthy”.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Which industry doesn’t pass costs onto the consumer again?
View Quote

There is more to life than just money.

Notice how service, quality, presentation, cleanliness, etc are all going down the shitter?

Every Gas Station is gross accept Bucee's?

Minimum Wage, Minimum Effort.

This extends well into the professional fields as well. "I don't get paid enough for this shit".

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it is, he hasn’t said so in this thread.

Sorry, I’m not a mind reader. All I see is “we have to make difficult financial decisions. If I had the option, I’d kill myself.”

I’ve been in his position (what’s been shared in this thread) for the better part of the last 2 decades. I’m not going to go into my own personal struggles, but I’ve had to scrape and scrimp and have been injured and had to completely reinvent my entire career in my mid 40s.

Throw in fighting for access to my kids and having them alienated from me for 15 years and being repeatedly dragged through the family courts fighting to maintain a relationship with my flesh and blood and surviving cancer.

Not once did I think “this is really hard, I should kill myself to escape the discomfort.”

I’m not mocking those with real struggles. I can’t abide suicide as a solution for most anything, but I understand that certain circumstances can drive a man to despair. I’m going off the information I have, and it’s a cowardly response to what I know.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If it is, he hasn’t said so in this thread.

Sorry, I’m not a mind reader. All I see is “we have to make difficult financial decisions. If I had the option, I’d kill myself.”

I’ve been in his position (what’s been shared in this thread) for the better part of the last 2 decades. I’m not going to go into my own personal struggles, but I’ve had to scrape and scrimp and have been injured and had to completely reinvent my entire career in my mid 40s.

Throw in fighting for access to my kids and having them alienated from me for 15 years and being repeatedly dragged through the family courts fighting to maintain a relationship with my flesh and blood and surviving cancer.

Not once did I think “this is really hard, I should kill myself to escape the discomfort.”

I’m not mocking those with real struggles. I can’t abide suicide as a solution for most anything, but I understand that certain circumstances can drive a man to despair. I’m going off the information I have, and it’s a cowardly response to what I know.
View Quote

I just recall him mentioning stuff regarding his career and lack of finding a new job to replace what he lost. May have been another thread.

And I can sympathize with those in those circumstances cause I don’t know how y’all do it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I really don't think there's been a time in history when workers were treated better than they are now. I think today workers don't have the same work ethics as before. This doesn't mean that management shouldn't treat their employees better-it just means that how employers are treating their workers isn't what is costing the GDP. I really doubt treating people with poor work ethics would improve productivity that much. If you think about it, the majority of the world's biggest construction projects were built before collective bargaining and without much safety or restrictions on days to work. For an example I really don't think the Chinese were terribly compassionate to their peasants who built the majority of their water ways (dams, canals etc).
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Last year has been pretty tough. It comes and goes. When I bailed on law school there was a boom on that was about as good as it gets for an industry. Then there was a slow down around the time I left grad school, was apparently pretty brutal. I couldn't find a job and everyone I asked for any kind of lead or advice on how to get a call back or make my resume look better or even just straight up fucking lie to get an interview just looked at me like I was asking them to just shit them out a connex full of gold bricks. I did some gig economy stuff for a while, then worked at a metal stamper shop, tried to work my way into engineering but it was made clear that wasn't happening. A little bit of a boom was on, so I took the first job offer that would be a return to geology and an exit from metal stamping.

The trick seems to be surviving your first slow down. That's what it looks like, anyway. I'm supposedly getting promoted in a couple weeks while some companies in the industry are laying people off by the dozens. I guess that's something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next door neighbor is a geologist, well out of college and out of work for the last year.  Doesn’t sound like a promising career.

Last year has been pretty tough. It comes and goes. When I bailed on law school there was a boom on that was about as good as it gets for an industry. Then there was a slow down around the time I left grad school, was apparently pretty brutal. I couldn't find a job and everyone I asked for any kind of lead or advice on how to get a call back or make my resume look better or even just straight up fucking lie to get an interview just looked at me like I was asking them to just shit them out a connex full of gold bricks. I did some gig economy stuff for a while, then worked at a metal stamper shop, tried to work my way into engineering but it was made clear that wasn't happening. A little bit of a boom was on, so I took the first job offer that would be a return to geology and an exit from metal stamping.

The trick seems to be surviving your first slow down. That's what it looks like, anyway. I'm supposedly getting promoted in a couple weeks while some companies in the industry are laying people off by the dozens. I guess that's something.

So you paid for or amassed debt for law school, didn't finish, and then paid for or amassed debt in graduate school for a degree that only gets you $15/hour starting rate.  Holy cow that's some bad decision making.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really don't think there's been a time in history when workers were treated better than they are now.
View Quote

The issue is in our society we're told about this collective American dream of being able to work hard, own a hole, have a family and lead a life better than the past generations decoupled from ancient class systems. you could be an astronaut!

For 200 years it was true.

The global economy has turned that upside down and kids are not able to make more money then their parents.

We're bombarded by social media and live feeds that very much lift the curtain and we see just how much grotesque nepotism and cronyism exists in the world.

In the middle ages a peasant simply accepted their lot in life. There was no dream of becoming a noble. No one around you told you to "work harder and boot strap" or called you lazy for not being a wealthy noble.  When your crops died, it wasn't "ha ha ha you get what you pray for!!" It was the entire village suffering together because everyone's crops died.

People where more connected as a community, had shared values and didn't get bombarded day and night with political and commercial messaging telling them they need shit and they're being screwed over.

Serfs also has more free time and paid only 1/4th in taxes. They didn't date into their 30's but rather hit puberty and were quickly married off so that constant loneliness and longing never existed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#16]
So, less than the COVID shutdowns.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The global economy has turned that upside down and kids are not able to make more money then their parents.
View Quote

The American dream was sold out by the same asshole CEOs that are stuffing their pockets while screwing us.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The issue is in our society we're told about this collective American dream of being able to work hard, own a hole, have a family and lead a life better than the past generations decoupled from ancient class systems. you could be an astronaut!

We're bombarded by social media and live feeds that very much lift the curtain and we see just how much grotesque nepotism and cronyism exists in the world.

In the middle ages a peasant simply accepted their lot in life. There was no dream of becoming a noble. No one around you told you to "work harder and boot strap" or called you lazy for not being a wealthy noble.  When your crops died, it wasn't "ha ha ha you get what you pray for!!" It was the entire village suffering together because everyone's crops died.

People where more connected as a community, had shared values and didn't get bombarded day and night with political and commercial messaging telling them they need shit and they're being screwed over.

Serfs also has more free time and paid only 1/4th in taxes. They didn't date into their 30's but rather hit puberty and were quickly married off so that constant loneliness and longing never existed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really don't think there's been a time in history when workers were treated better than they are now.

I don't buy it. I think it just depends on your work ethic, your ability to manage money and to earn your way. Between my husband and I we have 6 kids. 4 of the six own homes and make more money than my husband and I combined (two of our daughters are SAHMs). One is in college and will graduate debt free (he has paid for every dime of his education) and one is the black sheep but still is independent (she doesn't own her own home).  So what is it that they are missing out on the American dream? The economy is what you make of it. It's been in the toilet before and it will be again. When I graduated from college unemployment was over 10%, I have no clue what the interest rate was because I wouldn't have thought of buying something on credit. I bought my first home in 1993 for 105000 and the interest rate was 7%. I made 23000 annually. So things are about the same -only the numbers have changed and I didn't whine that my parents bought their house for 5500 (on 5 acres).  You either see the glass as half full or half empty and I think too many pessimists thinking they have it harder than the next guy. Life's hard - it's harder for whiners.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So you paid for or amassed debt fir law school, didn't finish, and the paid for or amassed debt in graduate school for degree that only gets you $15/hour starting rate.  Holy cow that's some bad decision making.
View Quote

No. I never went to law school. I switched to geology with one semester of undergrad left and went to grad school for an MS that generally will have you starting out over $100k/yr (thats in 2012 dollars). And then at the worst possible time in the last hundred years to be a geologist with only an undergrad degree looking for a job, I got my grad school scholarship/TA position yanked due to an allegation of non academic misconduct (which I wasn't guilty of).

While waiting for the next opportunity to get back into geology I followed the advice of "LeArN a TrAdE". I found out the hard way that the correct response to that is "oh, yeah? Which one, be specific" or possibly "fuck straight off" depending on the context.

After exhausting all my opportunities to ever realistically expect to make over $25/hr in 2022 dollars (forever ever). I spammed resumes the next time the awl business was doing good and took the offer from the guy that called me back the next day.

Because of the way overtime works and because I worked some extra weeks I actually made more last year than the year before as a tradie making $25/hr for most of the year.

Anyway, this is my favorite genre of boomer post, shooting off half cocked to tell people my age how bad our decisions are, when you actually don't know shit about fuck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you are treated so unsatisfactorily why did you stick around after year teo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You run the day to day, make sure everything gets done and quality doesn't suffer, oh ya you've been here longer than any employee I've had in 20 years and I appreciate that. Oh ya, you've brought in the best two helpers that we've had in as long as I can remember, and I appreciate it. Oh ya, you promote the business on social media and in person, and try to sell work, and I appreciate it.

But I can't pay you this week. I know you eat bologna sandwiches and we eat 90% of our meals out. I know I don't have my own bank account and all my personal funds come from the business. I know I'm taking cruises and camping trips in my new truck and you're looking for a part time job, but thank you for being the one I can trust to run things after 10 years of not having a vacation. I know you have worked your tail off to help grow it and I don't return phone calls or messages or delay until people go elsewhere because there's certain aspects I just won't let go of, but for some reason everything is really slow and we can't afford maintenance on our cobbled together equipment to keep things running, so I'll pay you and the hands when I can but you'll be home today.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest because this is why when people say "just go start a business" not everyone needs to be running a business

It really became bad around Thanksgiving and just got progressively worse. I have been looking for options to leave since December, just haven't had any luck. And, as much as it has sucked, it has been difficult to walk away because I have invested so much of myself into it. I don't expect anyone else to understand and that's fine
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd be happy as a pig in slop if "not being wealthy" was the worst thing I was dealing with, but you're entitled to your opinion too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought my first home in 1993 for 105000 and the interest rate was 7%. I made 23000 annually.
View Quote

What is that house worth today?

What was your job? What does it pay today?

My first job in 2005 was $40,000. My first house was $88k at 3.5%.

That same job is now $55k (I know people that still work there and that's what they hire at) and I see that house sold last year for $158k, likely at 6-7%.

Inflation,
40k = 65K
88k = $144k

So someone in my exact same situation today is making less money, paying more money at double the interest rate.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You pay their wages, all costs are passed on to the consumer.
View Quote

That’s not actually true. If costs go up profits usually go down. So companies will transfer part of the costs to consumers. But not all.

Also, if a company goes under because it can’t keep qualified employees those employees can go somewhere else.  If the industry has economies of scale than prices can actually drop.

Warren Buffet has said most CEOs can be replaced at a much lower cost with no impact on the company. He might be right.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lmaooo who wrote that an MBA?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the article:

So what are companies to do? One potential solution may be investing more in management. The report found workers are more likely to be engaged when their managers are, too.  

https://media1.tenor.com/m/WyX5TT9_b6sAAAAC/officespace-walking.gif

Lmaooo who wrote that an MBA?

It’s patently idiotic.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Arizona tea. Still the same old price
View Quote

Did they keep the same price through automation and reduction in labor?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So someone in my exact same situation today is making less money, paying more money at double the interest rate.
View Quote

They just don't know how to use their boot straps.

Just live in your car for a couple years.

Eat ramen for lunch every day.

Live with roommates.

Pack in 4 to a 2br 1 bth with bunkbeds.

Get a girl friend and live together as a DINK "family".

Stop buying avocado toast.

Pay cash for a clapped out shit box. When you are paying more per year on repairs than what the payments on a 3 year old pre-owned car would have been, just get a bicycle.

Get the bicycle after it breaks down the second time, you'll get fired the next time you're late for work, it's your fault you didn't buy a brand new car, you dumb shit.

Get in the pod.

Eat the bugs.

Get some Canadian Healthcare.

This is your fault because of the participation trophy you got when your t ball team came in last place back in 1990.

It's okay your replacements are on the way. By the way if you say anything negative about your replacements, we will call you words we gave your no shit pavlovian conditioning to recoil at the idea of being called that. They are the Americans now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I really don't think there's been a time in history when workers were treated better than they are now. I think today workers don't have the same work ethics as before. This doesn't mean that management shouldn't treat their employees better-it just means that how employers are treating their workers isn't what is costing the GDP. I really doubt treating people with poor work ethics would improve productivity that much. If you think about it, the majority of the world's biggest construction projects were built before collective bargaining and without much safety or restrictions on days to work. For an example I really don't think the Chinese were terribly compassionate to their peasants who built the majority of their water ways (dams, canals etc).
View Quote
So the beatings continue until morale improves?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That poster either doesn't understand inflation or is exactly the type of person who throws pizza parties. Probably both.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am wearing that shirt to work the last day before I retire.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not if the business goes bankrupt.

Modernproblemsdemandmodernsouloutions.meme
View Quote

Modern problems, huh…?

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Problem is they then get replaced by Chinese brands and businesses.

Harbor Freight is a perfect example (I love HF btw).

Every tool in that store was once made by Americans who where able to pay for their boomer kids to go to college.

Now the best American can hope for is minimum wage working the counter at the retail store while a slave in China makes the tools and a CEO rolls in his cash and buys some more investment homes for Air BnB.

1970 average top CEO made $800k a year (adjusted for inflation). Today they make $18 million.....

Modern Feudalism

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Every tool in that store was once made by Americans who where able to pay for their boomer kids to go to college.

Now the best American can hope for is minimum wage working the counter at the retail store while a slave in China makes the tools and a CEO rolls in his cash and buys some more investment homes for Air BnB.

1970 average top CEO made $800k a year (adjusted for inflation). Today they make $18 million.....

Modern Feudalism
View Quote

"We used to make shit in this country, build shit. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pocket."
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Modern Feudalism

View Quote
American companies just need to build suicide nets for their workers, you know, like the Chinese.

I heard the Khmer Rouge built some pretty good dams and stuff.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No. I never went to law school. I switched to geology with one semester of undergrad left and went to grad school for an MS that generally will have you starting out over $100k/yr (thats in 2012 dollars). And then at the worst possible time in the last hundred years to be a geologist with only an undergrad degree looking for a job, I got my grad school scholarship/TA position yanked due to an allegation of non academic misconduct (which I wasn't guilty of).

While waiting for the next opportunity to get back into geology I followed the advice of "LeArN a TrAdE". I found out the hard way that the correct response to that is "oh, yeah? Which one, be specific" or possibly "fuck straight off" depending on the context.

After exhausting all my opportunities to ever realistically expect to make over $25/hr in 2022 dollars (forever ever). I spammed resumes the next time the awl business was doing good and took the offer from the guy that called me back the next day.

Because of the way overtime works and because I worked some extra weeks I actually made more last year than the year before as a tradie making $25/hr for most of the year.

Anyway, this is my favorite genre of boomer post, shooting off half cocked to tell people my age how bad our decisions are, when you actually don't know shit about fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you paid for or amassed debt fir law school, didn't finish, and the paid for or amassed debt in graduate school for degree that only gets you $15/hour starting rate.  Holy cow that's some bad decision making.

Not a "boomer" there chief but best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It really became bad around Thanksgiving and just got progressively worse. I have been looking for options to leave since December, just haven't had any luck. And, as much as it has sucked, it has been difficult to walk away because I have invested so much of myself into it. I don't expect anyone else to understand and that's fine
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw it, your employer will drop you faster than you can ask "severance pay" when things don't go good for them.  Don't settle for the easy, comfortable excuse, they are counting on it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Live with roommates.

Pay cash for a clapped out shit box. When you are paying more per year on repairs than what the payments on a 3 year old pre-owned car would have been, just get a bicycle.

Get the bicycle after it breaks down the second time, you'll get fired the next time you're late for work, it's your fault you didn't buy a brand new car, you dumb shit.

Get in the pod.

Eat the bugs.

This is your fault because of the participation trophy you got when your t ball team came in last place back in 1990.

It's okay your replacements are on the way. By the way if you say anything negative about your replacements, we will call you words we gave your no shit pavlovian conditioning to recoil at the idea of being called that. They are the Americans now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Live with roommates.

Get in the pod.

Eat the bugs.

At least you have enough self-introspection to your failings.  That's a start.  Now get off ARFcom and make yourself a more valuable person while you can.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That same job is now $55k (I know people that still work there and that's what they hire at) and I see that house sold last year for $158k, likely at 6-7%.

Inflation,
40k = 65K
88k = $144k

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought my first home in 1993 for 105000 and the interest rate was 7%. I made 23000 annually.

Inflation,
40k = 65K
88k = $144k

I was a single mom and I did daycare in my home. I was paid $2 an hour per child and I had about 5 kids (plus my two -so 7). I technically made $10 an hour if I got paid (I rarely did on time.) if I had chosen to work outside of the home I would have made about 9 an hour. I'm not sure what child care goes for now but it has increased. As for my home-I actually looked about 6 months or so ago and it was last sold on 2022 for 275k.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:49:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

At least you have enough self-introspection to your failings.  That's a start.  Now get off ARFcom and make yourself a more valuable person while you can.
View Quote

You do realize that a guy who has finished both a trade apprenticeship and a STEM degree actually needing to do any of that stuff means we are in a lot of trouble, right? Do you even know what "Get some Canadian Healthcare" means?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:11:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You missed my point. Or, you're making it. Low wage jobs are not intended for raising families. No jobs are social safety nets for low ambition/low skill workers. It's like buying a Cadillac on McD wages and whining you can't make the payments. Well, duh, of course you can't. But, your poor judgement is on you, not your employer. You pay more for things because they're worth more. Think of yourself as a product. (You are). Will you garner bigger money by dressing well or by just rubbing a little dirt on? My point is, your value to an employer is in what you bring to the table, not how many people are sitting at yours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a thought: Make yourself more valuable. As an employer, I am paying for skills, experience and reliability. I am not running a social service. If you decided to have a few mouths to feed without a plan do be able to do so, well, not my monkeys, not my problem. All this "living wage" bullshit is just that. Be a better product and someone will pay more for it. A simple concept evidently lost on the way to social justice.

Try to support a whole family on $15/hr, or less. I'm sure it's "liveable" enough for you. Go ahead. Try it.
You missed my point. Or, you're making it. Low wage jobs are not intended for raising families. No jobs are social safety nets for low ambition/low skill workers. It's like buying a Cadillac on McD wages and whining you can't make the payments. Well, duh, of course you can't. But, your poor judgement is on you, not your employer. You pay more for things because they're worth more. Think of yourself as a product. (You are). Will you garner bigger money by dressing well or by just rubbing a little dirt on? My point is, your value to an employer is in what you bring to the table, not how many people are sitting at yours.

Yes, starting a family is now a bad decision.

You heard it here, folks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:28:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes, starting a family is now a bad decision.

You heard it here, folks.
View Quote

If you want to be able to start a family and it not be a profoundly stupid and irresponsible decision, you want ownership money. W2 Mindset. NGMI. Skill issue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:41:08 AM EDT
[#41]
From personal experience, there’s some things that conservatives at this point are incredibly naïve on.

For over 200 years hard work and not being a dumbass with things like alcohol or gambling resulted in a better standard of living than your parents.

Today in corporate America. Hard work just gets you more work and ripped off. Corporations are simply the biggest thieves that exist in this country.

For me personally I stopped counting once I hit $100k in stolen overtime, stolen bonuses, no career progression due to DEI shit, etc. That’s why I work for myself now. I make less, but I’m not getting ripped off.

We’re at the point where working yourself into the middle class for large parts of this country is simply impossible.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:52:08 AM EDT
[#42]

No matter what happens now we are never going back in a time portal 4 years. Whats done is done. And the only losers of wealth is the middle class. Just what the demons want.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:12:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're basing this all on a flawed assumption. It's not just "people with poor work ethics" that are costing GDP. At my former employer, it was the absolute studs who were checking out and giving up on it. The low quality seat warmers just continued their useless ways. Even worse was the fact the top guys ended up leaving and going to the competition. That drags down overall productivity/GDP as well since even the best workers take some time to get up to speed. When I left I was supporting a department that was consistently lowest in downtime when compared to other departments as well as to the same department on the other shifts. Now I'm at a competitor and 4 months in still need a lot of help and have spent almost as much time in training as I have out on the floor. At my old place things are literally falling apart.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They should throw more pizza parties, maybe give away some more company coffee mugs, that'll cheer them up
View Quote

Sounds exactly like where I work.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:39:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're basing this all on a flawed assumption. It's not just "people with poor work ethics" that are costing GDP. At my former employer, it was the absolute studs who were checking out and giving up on it. The low quality seat warmers just continued their useless ways. Even worse was the fact the top guys ended up leaving and going to the competition. That drags down overall productivity/GDP as well since even the best workers take some time to get up to speed. When I left I was supporting a department that was consistently lowest in downtime when compared to other departments as well as to the same department on the other shifts. Now I'm at a competitor and 4 months in still need a lot of help and have spent almost as much time in training as I have out on the floor. At my old place things are literally falling apart.
View Quote

They won't listen.

They think "work ethic" means being loyal to a company that hasn't given you a raise that was more than half the previous year's inflation in over 30 years, even though they have to plan multi-million dollar projects around your vacations because the only other person that can make it happen is a guy that has the same level of experience you had when you were making $15/hr back in 1992, and it will take him twice as long and management is worried he will fuck it up. They also think that guy with the same level of experience that was worth $15/hr in 1992 has a shitty attitude about only getting paid ~$22/hr. in 2022.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Do you really believe everyone has all that or is doing all that, or is this just another broad brush to discount that real people are struggling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having more than 1 car and food is now considered luxury living?  Also, go walk around your employees parking area when your in between tee times, let me now the ratio of land rovers to camry's that your employees own...

In the 50's having one car was normal, two were rare unless both worked which was also rare. 3+ was almost unheard of. Even in the 60s, a teenager's first car was an old beater. Rarely less than 3 years old. My first car cost $100 and another $100 to get it running. How many cars are in a school parking lot that are older than 4 years old? No one had thousands of dollars worth of toys. Going on expensive vacations was rare, an almost once-in-a-lifetime event. We didn't have $1000+ BBQ grills, less a pizza oven from Italy. Homes tended to be half the size of homes these days and we had larger families too. We didn't have a walking closet full of clothes either. A pair of dress shoes and a pair of tennis shoes were all most people could afford. TV, what the hell was that, much less cable? How did people survive back then?

We grew about half of what we ate. I never had a steak unless Dad got a deer or two that year. Canned tuna was all you got for seafood unless you had a good day fishing. Saturday was sports day. About 20 of us started playing baseball or football from after breakfast to supper time. No leagues, coaches, refs, fancy equipment, or scoreboards. The plates were made of cardboard. We even played football in the snow. The field was in our backyard or after the farmer harvested his crops. Now you have soccer moms hauling their kids all over the state for a soccer match. Back then sports didn't wag the dog.

Y'all have it so good and think you are entitled to more and you can't even pay for it. Wonder why?

Do you really believe everyone has all that or is doing all that, or is this just another broad brush to discount that real people are struggling?
Reminds me of the broad brush you used to paint all owners and executives of businesses big and small.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not sure what your definition of a stud is but people who give up do so because they have the luxury to do so. You think that everything is stacked against you so do something different. Move to an area that has a lower cost of living. If it is impossible to succeed then why are my kids succeeding?   If I could do it, anyone can (and believe me I didn't have any help). It just takes dedication, ingenuity, perseverance and eagerness. I can say I have never (no matter what the economy has been) seen a person succeed that's pessimistic. In order to buy my first house I had to do many side hustles. My income alone didn't cut it. I wrote articles, did income taxes, washed windows and watched children around the clock (24/7). I didn't take a vacation for years. Because I was self employed I had to put more down than average. I didn't eat out and I certainly didn't buy coffee for $5+ a cup. I don't know what you mean by low quality seat warmers. If you mean asshats without any work ethics -they should be providing you with opportunities. The market isn't perfect but if you can put something together that provides better service there's usually a market for that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They won't listen.

They think "work ethic" means being loyal to a company that hasn't given you a raise that was more than half the previous year's inflation in over 30 years, even though they have to plan multi-million dollar projects around your vacations because the only other person that can make it happen is a guy that has the same level of experience you had when you were making $15/hr back in 1992, and it will take him twice as long and management is worried he will fuck it up. They also think that guy with the same level of experience that was worth $15/hr in 1992 has a shitty attitude about only getting paid ~$22/hr. in 2022.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They won't listen.

You know the problem with making assumptions is that you are using your own knowledge and experiences to formulate your assumptions. Nothing that you said is new. My husband went 13 years without a raise and when his union voted to strike for unfair labor treatment-Biden cancelled the strike and negotiated a 3% raise and one day off per year for sick leave (but he left it up to Union Pacific to determine how that works out so my husband can only be sick without being wrote up for it on his birthday. He was injured at work and he wasn't paid, wasn't given workman's comp and UP cut his insurance.  And because he was injured he lost his vacation time for two years. So if you think you have it tough read some history. If you want to know what I think (rather than guessing) I don't think anyone is owed anything. If you are not happy with what you are doing-do something different. The only thing that is holding you back is your own defeatist attitude.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They won't listen.

View Quote

You get vacations?

Lucky.

Every holiday and vacation is ruined here as we chase month end, quarter end revenue for the share holders.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I am not sure what your definition of a stud is but people who give up do so because they have the luxury to do so. You think that everything is stacked against you so do something different. Move to an area that has a lower cost of living. If it is impossible to succeed then why are my kids succeeding?   If I could do it, anyone can (and believe me I didn't have any help). It just takes dedication, ingenuity, perseverance and eagerness. I can say I have never (no matter what the economy has been) seen a person succeed that's pessimistic. In order to buy my first house I had to do many side hustles. My income alone didn't cut it. I wrote articles, did income taxes, washed windows and watched children around the clock (24/7). I didn't take a vacation for years. Because I was self employed I had to put more down than average. I didn't eat out and I certainly didn't buy coffee for $5+ a cup. I don't know what you mean by low quality seat warmers. If you mean asshats without any work ethics -they should be providing you with opportunities. The market isn't perfect but if you can put something together that provides better service there's usually a market for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this a copypasta? You forgot to mention bootstraps and avocado toast.

My whole post was about people leaving jobs for better ones because they're in demand while the low achievers stick around.

I never said it was impossible to succeed, in fact, for those of us who bailed on that company are doing great! That doesn't change the fact we are or were less productive due to the moves while learning new machines and processes, or receiving mandatory safety training.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top