BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
No

At 38 I completed Ranger school

At 42 I was swimming 3-5 miles a week and running 15-20 miles a week.

My two mile time was still high 12 mins to low 13 mins.

At 44 I was in Afghanistan on my last combat tour and weighed 170lbs.

At 55 I am 174lbs and can still run a mile in under eight mins and five mils in just under a hour.

I think I have more sex with the wife than when I was in the military. No stress and not working gives us all the time in the world for fun time.

40 is what you make it, if life sucks lift some heavy stuff, go running and lose some weight.

Keep moving
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
40 was nothing.  At 50 things began to happen  to show me I'm getting older.
View Quote

Yup.   55 in a couple weeks.   Fighting it like hell.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is 40 the doomsday number everyone says it is?
View Quote
No.

It's going to get much worse.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
They're handing you a bunch of bullshit, OP.
Check back in when you click over the 70 mark.

Hell, I started riding jumping horses in my mid 50s.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, that's when your ballsack touches the toilet water.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait till 70. If I wasn't married I'd be ass deep in pussy.  Maybe old pussy, but a lot of men have needed themselves out of the gene pool long before 70 and lots of widows  left in need.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]
40 was fine.  Still in your prime.  At 43 or so, things start not working like they once did.  Pecker performance, sex drive, physical stamina in general, and eyesight being the most obvious.  Hair color starts fading as well if it had not already.  In another 10 years, hearing starts drifting.  It's a fact.  

If your body was a Starship  

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I didn’t notice 40.   Just kept moving.
View Quote

i was 42 before it occurred to me that i was in my 40s.  life hadn't changed at all, so it just didn't register.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am sure 70 is even worse.  

I almost certainly.won't make it to 80, so I am not even going to worry about that.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trust me 60 is worse

I am sure 70 is even worse.  

I almost certainly.won't make it to 80, so I am not even going to worry about that.  

that's more or less where i am.  i'm unlikely to see 80 given my health crap, which is very liberating when it comes to long-term lifestyle choices.

as a paradigmatic example, i'm about to hit 'submit' and go put the dry rub on a rack of st. louis ribs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Turned 40 last month.

Honestly, feel better than I did at 30.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#11]
40 is just a number. It's all mental. I'm 38 still feel like I'm in my 20's. I still skate my mini ramp. I see people like Tony Hawk, Deawon Song still killing it in their late 40's-mid 50's, I'm not too worried about aging. May take a bit longer to bounce back from injuries but don't slow down and fall into that I'm too old mental state.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#12]
75 year old boomer. The older you are, the faster the years by. Way faster! Physically you are losing testosterone, muscle, brains start going numb, erectile disjunction, prostate cancer, hearing loss and hair growing out of your ears, gray hair, cataract surgery.

You have a long slow slide to the end. It is easier if you eat the right foods, good blood pressure, exercise, no smoking, limited alcohol, and say your prayers every night, and live a fulfilling life. I’m having a great ride to the end. You can too!

I had a stroke at 60 because of a hole in my heart. Had a surgery to close the hole, and after 6 months started lifting again. Then I had a brain tumor. 12 hour surgery removed the tumor. Few months later I stated lifting again. Shit happens….don’t let it stop it from a good life. I lifted this morning.

Save tons of money….early. I could not work again after my stroke and lost my maximum earning years, so don’t wait to start your retirement planning.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
40 was nothing.  At 50 things began to happen  to show me I'm getting older.
View Quote

Forty was nothing. I'm 67 and have only started noticing myself slowing down within the past year.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You can pull more ass >40 than you did from 15-39, IME.  

A LOT more.
View Quote

FPNI. I was running half marathons and trail running four times a week well into my 50’s.

Good times.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep moving. As noted above, it takes more effort to keep yourself in the same shape you took for granted as a younger person, but it’s worth it.

I’m not looking for it, but I am getting looks from chicks just based on being 52 and in passable shape because my competition is fatter and grosser.

A win is a win. I’ll take it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm 50 and really haven't noticed much a slow.down. I'm a Captain at a Fire department and can hang or beat just about everyone on my shift. I am starting to lack on my cardio though. We ran stairs the other day in full gear breathing air (scba) I hit the low air alarm on the 55th flight.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Keep moving. As noted above, it takes more effort to keep yourself in the same shape you took for granted as a younger person, but it's worth it.

I'm not looking for it, but I am getting looks from chicks just based on being 52 and in passable shape because my competition is fatter and grosser.

A win is a win. I'll take it.
View Quote
pics?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Depends on you.

I took care of my health diet and exercise wise but did loads of dumb shit that caused ass loads of injuries. They're really starting to come back and haunt me @ 43 and it's pretty tough. Knowing it's just going to get worse every year is mentally not pleasant.

Other than that I still feel 30 in regards to boners, cardio, energy etc.

"Men don't get old, they wear out" is accurate.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I will let you know when i turn 40. For my birthday this year, I decided I don't want any celebrations, congratulations, presents, or anything of that sort. Instead, I planned a two-week trip to Singapore, intending to spend my special day exploring a new country. I just read that everyone traveling there needs to fill out an arrival card in advance at https://singaporearrivalcard.sg/. Has anyone done this before? Is it something like a visa on entry? If anyone has experience with this, I'd love to hear how it went for you.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m in my early 40’s and this has by far been the greatest decade of my life!!!  
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#22]
48 was when things started being noticeable for me.
40 was no problem.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m closer to 50 than 40. I just stripped aluminum siding and put vinyl on my 2500’ ranch with a big garage.

I’m thinking 50 might be when the days of roofing and flooring and all that shit might be behind me. I was sore for 3 days after finishing this project.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#25]
39 beat the shit out of me from years of hard work catching up.  Came out of nowhere. I had some medical stuff pop up that I haven’t fully recovered from yet.  I’m 41 now and it’s not getting any easier.  

You just keep moving forward the alternative is death.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#26]
42 years old, still workout 4-6 days a week, train bjj 2, in better shape than most guys 15 years younger than me.  Smarter, wiser, wealthier, and happier than I’ve ever been. Of course it has its ups and downs but I still feel like things are trending up.

Ive seen a lot of my peers going downhill after 30. More so at 40 after a decade of sedentary jobs, alcohol, and lack of exercise takes its toll on them.

I think one of the main things is keeping active, and taking care of oneself, and also growing mentally and professionally. It’s amazing how much time you have for that stuff if you turn off the tv.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Im still in better shape than 90% of the people half my age at work.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm dreading it.  I beat the fuck out of my body for years and it's catching up to me in my late 30's.  I'm going to be a train wreck by 50.

I mean shit I already have visibly fucked up joints from arthritis.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm dreading it.  I beat the fuck out of my body for years and it's catching up to me in my late 30's.  I'm going to be a train wreck by 50.

View Quote
what does raylan say about gettin' old?

it ain't for pussies.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I think 40 is more of the occasion where bad decisions really start to blossom.  Dont exercise? No career? Eat like shit? Drugs and alcohol too much?  The answers to these questions will probably determine how 40+ treats you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not if you are married.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those of you that are into your 40s now is it just another number or do you really start to see differences?

A LOT more.

Not if you are married.

Key is to have 3-5 years of freedom between your first & second marriage from late 30s into 40s.  

It's reinvigorating and will add years to your life.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

it ain't for pussies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it ain't for pussies.

Me at 19: Only men who suck dick wear knee pads

Me now: Ow, my knees

Me at 19: Hammer is too far away, I'm just going to punch this ratchet to break it loose

Me now: Why can't I move my wrist?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Me at 19: Only men who suck dick wear knee pads

Me now: Ow, my knees

Me at 19: Hammer is too far away, I'm just going to punch this ratchet to break it loose

Me now: Why can't I move my wrist?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#34]
not doomsday at all.  around then is when you start to feel older definitely. past your physical prime in many ways ?  yes

HOWEVER -- don't use that as an excuse.  keep exercising, stay active, eat right, minimize alcohol, stop smoking (if you smoke) etc.  train SMARTER -- as well as hard

your body is less forgiving of the bad habits you used to be able to easily get away with.  recovery from injury can take longer.    

like a lot of guys here -- i'm in my later 50s and still do most of what i could do 20 years ago.  slower maybe and less intensity  -- but still capable.  run, hike lift, surf, etc

just be smart and stay active -- never quit

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#35]
You're already dead........
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I came more alive in my 40s (45 now) than ever. Hiking mountains, travel, etc. just stay active and you’ll be just fine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A LOT more.
View Quote

This was my experience as well. A veritable cornucopia, and when I was young, I could barely get laid if I was in a brothel with a $100 bill between my teeth.
I didn't start feeling physically old or limited until I hit 50.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah, that's when your ballsack touches the toilet water.
View Quote

@AR15A2SporterII

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Joint pain has been a thing my whole adult life but it’s worse now that I’m 50. Easier to make happen harder to shake. Also veins are expanding and feel/look gross. Had a back injury over twenty years ago that forced me to slow down so my aging isn’t typical. Less stress on the replaceable joints but a lot more abuse to organs from self medicating.

Men in my family tend to live a long time and that scares the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I started falling apart at mid 50's with asthma, RA, anemia and other infirmities.  I can no longer work full blast for 8-12 hours because a longer recovery time is needed.  However, at 70, I was still able to chop up 5 fir trees (12-13 cords) in the last 1.25 years with a chopping maul, wedges and an ax.  Now, I just have to space out the hard work and allow for longer periods of recuperation.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wait till 70. If I wasn't married I'd be ass deep in pussy.  Maybe old pussy, but a lot of men have needed themselves out of the gene pool long before 70 and lots of widows  left in need.
View Quote

My 88 year old father in law would walk into the assisted living place to visit my MIL and literally every woman started his way like a herd of zombies. He hated it but it was hilarious. At least he was fast enough to stay ahead until they fell behind and gave up. Except for the ones in wheelchairs that could take a break then resume the chase.

He is missed tremendously.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For women, maybe. For a man, it’s just another number.
View Quote

Yup,  40 is nothing if you are taking care of yourself.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#43]
60 is the new 40

at 40 you are just warming up for the rest of life
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I dont like being older, but its turned out to not be as bad as i thought. At 52 I’m in better shape than i have ever been in, mostly because i am working at it and not just relying on my youth as i did when i was younger. I’m 5’11” and 176-180lb, I think weight is a big one for guys and keeps them from their potential. It’s too easy to just sit around on the weekends and smoke meats, take pics of your meal and gun and post it as you get older. You get causght in that rut and it just sticks. Eat decent, but mostly stay active. Very active.

I jog every morning and do this about 5 times a week for 30-40 min, I hit it pretty hard, little dangerous but damn good exercise. Winter i will do more traditional exercises but hate it. Thinking of getting one of those stationary bikes with the screen. Would really be nice if my wife would share my desire for exercise…. (lol)

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I thought that about 30. And then 40. At 42, my life is the best it’s ever been.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Lay off bread and get some fermented foods . Workout ...sleep and hydrate .

Leaky gut is prevalent in folks over 40.

Why Dr. Gundry Changed his Mind on Gut Damaging Foods (and 5 other things)
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#47]
At 72 I was still doing ok, but now at 76 every day is a struggle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

A LOT more.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Looking back, the 40s were probably my best and happiest decade.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#50]
If you HAVEN'T taken care of yourself, then now is the time, because the clock is running out before you start declining.

I turned 40 on crutches with broken tib/fib. lost weight, exercised, quit smoking, got a stent, lots of arthritis came into play, started biking in the woods, so been breaking and tearing stuff for 10 years. But I'm in better shape than I was for the previous 2 decades. Lots of pain, but you get used to it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top