BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Had one, the squirrels couldnt get in, they would hang upside down and wear their teeth out on the metal leaves but gave up. Then raccoons learned how to open the top and broke one of the springs holding the lid down. But the top on mine did not have screws or anything holding it down, this one looks different.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Do they ever actually learn though? Squirrels are retards
View Quote
They are def retarded, but this one seems to do a good job of keeping them off of it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Had one, the squirrels couldnt get in, they would hang upside down and wear their teeth out on the metal leaves but gave up. Then raccoons learned how to open the top and broke one of the springs holding the lid down. But the top on mine did not have screws or anything holding it down, this one looks different.
View Quote
Yeah the big one has push pins to lock the top in place unlike the smaller ones.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That owl is awesome
View Quote

There was a mother and 3 juveniles that visited the same tree every afternoon right by my deck.  They would hunt out of it for a few hours, then take off for parts unknown.  I could set my watch my them.  I was out there one afternoon and the mother owl did not like my presence.  I was talking to her in my best Dr. Doolittle voice when one of the kids jumped off of the branch, glided over, and landed on the deck railing right beside me.  (Barred owls are known for their curiosity.)  I did not have a camera with me then, but I got that pic through my patio door when he returned the next day.

This is the mother, taken about 5PM in the middle of July, me standing on my deck.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are def retarded, but this one seems to do a good job of keeping them off of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they ever actually learn though? Squirrels are retards

I legit don't buy the spinning ones because they're too stupid

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There was a mother and 3 juveniles that visited the same tree every afternoon right by my deck.  They would hunt out of it for a few hours, then take off for parts unknown.  I could set my watch my them.  I was out there one afternoon and the mother owl did not like my presence.  I was talking to her in my best Dr. Doolittle voice when one of the kids jumped off of the branch, glided over, and landed on the deck railing right beside me.  (Barred owls are known for their curiosity.)  I did not have a camera with me then, but I got that pic through my patio door when he returned the next day.

This is the mother, taken about 5PM in the middle of July, me standing on my deck.

https://i.imgur.com/66Egm52.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/QZjWLlZ.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That owl is awesome

https://i.imgur.com/66Egm52.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/QZjWLlZ.png

That's awesome man. I'm sure we have owls but I never see them. I see hawks a fair bit, outside of the birds I intentionally attract.

NoVA actually has a bunch of both turkeys and vultures. (Both birds, not turkey vultures). We also have a surprising amount of herons.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

There's a guy around the corner from me in central Virginia (between Charlottesville and Richmond) who hosts a huge purple martin colony, and gives seminars on them.  Next year will be his 30th Purple Martin Field Day.  I've been a couple of times.

Website

As I believe someone commented elsewhere, they only exist east of the Mississippi because of the support of people like you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Love bird watching. I also love trying to nail squirts with my Neuf blaster when they try go for the bird feeder. Good was to kill time on a Sunday afternoon.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone used or setup something like a feeder cam? An all weather cam that could send high quality video back to the house right from the feeders would be interesting I think. My 4 yr old daughter got a ball feeder from grandparents last year. She likes watching them through the window.

Ive also found that any old or expired rice or risotto brings quite a good variety of birds.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#10]
These nested in the yard so far this year:
Great Crested Flycatcher
Attachment Attached File

Eastern Bluebird
Attachment Attached File

Enjoy watching the hummingbirds do their thing:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve enjoyed bird watching since I was a kid.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I’d post more photos, but I keep getting file size errors for photos that shouldn’t have trouble.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I like watching birds, but I'm not a serious
bona fide birdwatcher.

I do laugh when the little retards bounce off
our living room window while landing on the
birdbath.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I make suet cakes with the left over deer fat. Squirrel proofed my feeders. I think flickers are the coolest bird to stop by.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's awesome man. I'm sure we have owls but I never see them. I see hawks a fair bit, outside of the birds I intentionally attract.

NoVA actually has a bunch of both turkeys and vultures. (Both birds, not turkey vultures). We also have a surprising amount of herons.
View Quote

It's unusual to see owls.  Locals here are shocked at the pics.  I have no idea why they decided to hunt out of that particular tree day after day, right beside my house.  (I'm on 50 acres surrounded by farms, so there's no lack of space for them.)

I lived in Vienna from the early 60s until I moved to Louisa in 2010.  I had plieated woodpeckers in one of my trees there.  I used to keep a set of binoculars on my desk at work in Herndon because blue herons would frequent the drainage ponds.

My latest visitor is a whippoorwill (the noisy bugger.)  I've yet to see him (they are tiny and nocturnal), but i sure hear him.  Apparently they are on the decline because development is killing their food supply.

Here are turkeys taken through my patio door:

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#15]

My mom uses that exact same plant to attract hummingbirds
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I stopped feeding because bears. I live in the woods and do not spray poison every where so the bird population is pretty good. This morning saw a chicken sized woodpecker checking out soon to be dead trees and then a cardinal zoomed in for some bugs.
Country birds don't seem to know what to do with breadcrumbs when I put some out but the hummingbirds still show up after not being fed for 20 years.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's unusual to see owls.  Locals here are shocked at the pics.  I have no idea why they decided to hunt out of that particular tree day after day, right beside my house.  (I'm on 50 acres surrounded by farms, so there's no lack of space for them.)

I lived in Vienna from the early 60s until I moved to Louisa in 2010.  I had plieated woodpeckers in one of my trees there.  I used to keep a set of binoculars on my desk at work in Herndon because blue herons would frequent the drainage ponds.

My latest visitor is a whippoorwill (the noisy bugger.)  I've yet to see him (they are tiny and nocturnal), but i sure hear him.  Apparently they are on the decline because development is killing their food supply.

https://i.imgur.com/tZfKy9l.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/Jw7hobq.jpeg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/tZfKy9l.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/Jw7hobq.jpeg

As an aside, Vienna Inn forever
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m guilty.
I’m not hard corps. But I enjoy ID ing the birds in pur yard, when we take walks, etc…

We have some squirrel proof feeders, a heated birdbath (plug it in for winter), and a starling house about fifteen feet up on a pole, that hasn’t seen anyone in a couple years. But when it does, there’s a bunch of them.

We have a pair of Eurasian collared doves that have lived in a large pine tree we have on the corner of the house. They’re pretty cool. All the other birds, also.

We have a Bluejay nest that’s been used for several years. Robins and Cardinals all over. This one robin follows you when you’re mowing.

We’ve had barn owls live in our catalpa tree, and screech owls that we chased out of the pine tree the doves live in. Nothing against the owls, just didn’t want them to be a threat to the doves.

Got the kids doing it, too. That makes me happy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’m guilty.
I’m not hard corps. But I enjoy ID ing the birds in pur yard, when we take walks, etc…

We have some squirrel proof feeders, a heated birdbath (plug it in for winter), and a starling house about fifteen feet up on a pole, that hasn’t seen anyone in a couple years. But when it does, there’s a bunch of them.

We have a pair of Eurasian collared doves that have lived in a large pine tree we have on the corner of the house. They’re pretty cool. All the other birds, also.

We have a Bluejay nest that’s been used for several years. Robins and Cardinals all over. This one robin follows you when you’re mowing.

We’ve had barn owls live in our catalpa tree, and screech owls that we chased out of the pine tree the doves live in. Nothing against the owls, just didn’t want them to be a threat to the doves.

Got the kids doing it, too. That makes me happy.
View Quote

Watching nature is super calming, relaxing and exciting at the same time.

If I didn't have to work I would just live in the woods and walk around all day
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not a huge bird watcher, but I do enough hiking that interesting birds do catch my eye.

I have a couple of Hummingbird feeders that get used quite often.
And they not only attract Hummingbirds, but for some reason also Ladderback woodpeckers...

I do have a field guide to Western birds that I refer to occasionally when I see an interesting looking bird.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone know what bird, looks similar to a female cardinal, all brown with raccoon eyes?
View Quote
Waxwing?

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I noticed these little guys are all over the place at night. They don't hoot like a normal owl hoot, they sound like a tribble from star trek. LoL I don't know what sub species they are but they are very tiny, about the side of my cell phone.  Some kinda weido little midget owls. There are 2-3 of them that sit on my bedroom window sill at night and call to each other for a few hours each night.  
These things are surprisingly tolerant of me. I can walk up to one and get to maybe 3 feet away from it before it will even turn and look at me.  they just don't seem to mind being close to humans.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There's a guy around the corner from me in central Virginia (between Charlottesville and Richmond) who hosts a huge purple martin colony, and gives seminars on them.  Next year will be his 30th Purple Martin Field Day.  I've been a couple of times.

Website

http://www.purplemartinfieldday.org/images/A2-Purple%20Martin%20Field%20Day%20_5739c_Edited_488x283.jpg

As I believe someone commented elsewhere, they only exist east of the Mississippi because of the support of people like you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Website

http://www.purplemartinfieldday.org/images/A2-Purple%20Martin%20Field%20Day%20_5739c_Edited_488x283.jpg

Very cool, definitely jelly of the amount of their gourds and size of their active colony, I've got around 46 nesting pairs between these two poles and some others not pictured, most nests have yielded anywhere from 3-5 chicks that will be leaving the nests within the next week or two at the most.

If his site was closer I would definitely drive up for the day but 4 hours is a bit much one way with everything I have going on. Thanks for linking their website, hadn't seen that one amongst the PM websites I visit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#24]
We have glass fronted windows on the doors outside our living room with various feeders for the birds. Sunflower hearts, peanut butter feeders, and suet cakes are available for the birds.  We get an unbeliveable variety of birds and they're less than 10 feet away from the sofa I watch them from.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Merlin is a great app. These are from yesterday.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm not a huge bird watcher, but I do enough hiking that interesting birds do catch my eye.

I have a couple of Hummingbird feeders that get used quite often.
And they not only attract Hummingbirds, but for some reason also Ladderback woodpeckers...

I do have a field guide to Western birds that I refer to occasionally when I see an interesting looking bird.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Hummingbird_jpg-3242943.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Ladderback_jpg-3242944.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/BirdBook_jpg-3242945.JPG
View Quote

Bro. Did we just become best friends?

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#30]
We have seen so many cool birds while duck/goose hunting over the years it is not even funny.  Literally birds we see and go WTF was that, off to google and it is a (choose your bird) swimming in the decoys or flying over, next day there is a pile of birders in the area looking for it.

Just some examples, eagles are everywhere here now, we see 4-8 every day September goose hunting, and at least 1-2 per day during regular season.

Lake Champlain and the area
Eurasian Wigeon... shot
King Eider... shot
Ruddy Shellduck... shot
and a bunch others

Seen in the decoys, Razorbill

Ruff this spring, not in the decoys, but hunting area

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Wife and I are 51 and for the first time in a several years blue birds nested in our blue bird house, instead of sparrows, and let’s just say we were extremely happy about it.

Aside from that, I love watching crows.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Glad you're enjoying it!  It can also ID by song as well, though that feature is relatively new and I haven't tried it yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#33]
51 YOM here. Love the birds. I grew up with my Dad's parents obsession with birding and it has taken to me quite well. It's a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#34]
We use Merlin from Cornell ornithology to ID sounds.  It is the best way to get the birds to stop singing.  Just pull the app up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Living on the bank of a huge river in north Idaho is amazing for the sheer variety of birds. Not exhaustive by any means, but...
Ducks, in huge numbers
Seagulls, six hours from the ocean
Golden and brown eagles and ospreys
Hummingbirds
Red headed and pileated woodpeckers, which have to be the closest thing to a dinosaur still flying
Coots, in rafts by the hundreds
Egrets and herons
White swans
@#$%#$$ Canada Geese, though the goslings are pretty cute for the first two weeks
Owls
Ravens
and...either barn or cliff swallows, that build mud nests under the eves of the condos. Hundreds and hundreds of them doing aerobatics at dusk and dawn, Hard to complain, we have zero mosquitoes or flies.

Yea, I don't think I'd get into watching song birds, but I can spend all day watching bald eagles dive bombing the coot rafts.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There's a feed called "finches favorite" which is cracked sunflower and nyjer that attracts a lot of cool birds.

My neighbor at my condo catches a lot with a bird bath but at my parents house birds don't use it which is strange
View Quote

I use the same feed at our new house in southern Wisconsin.

I got a clusterfuck of Finches (4-5 varieties), a wreckage of Wrens, a chowdown of Chickadees, an absolute blitzkrieg of Red Winged Blackbirds, and a gathering of Grackles.

The Mourning Doves hang out under the feeder to feed off the ground.

I miss the Cardinals and the big Bluejays we had in Illinois, but Grackles are badass birds.

Those little flying pigs eat through $3.00 of birdseed every day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wife and I are 51 and for the first time in a several years blue birds nested in our blue bird house, instead of sparrows, and let’s just say we were extremely happy about it.

Aside from that, I love watching crows.
View Quote

Crows are cool.

They're always yelling about something and dipping food in water
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm outside Knoxville, in a residential area but have quite a lot of trees around considering.
I put up some feeders a few weeks ago, a cylinder style, platter style, and hummingbird.

I've had cardinals, chickadees, tufted titmouse so far.
A few doves have discovered them too and some bluejay.

Every so often I'll hear owls calling and there are a fair number of smaller raptors I'll catch in the skies.

My grandparents and mom had always been into feeding and watching the birds, I'm just catching it now late 40s...
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Living on the bank of a huge river in north Idaho is amazing for the sheer variety of birds. Not exhaustive by any means, but...
Ducks, in huge numbers
Seagulls, six hours from the ocean
Golden and brown eagles and ospreys
Hummingbirds
Red headed and pileated woodpeckers, which have to be the closest thing to a dinosaur still flying
Coots, in rafts by the hundreds
Egrets and herons
White swans
@#$%#$$ Canada Geese, though the goslings are pretty cute for the first two weeks
Owls
Ravens
and...either barn or cliff swallows, that build mud nests under the eves of the condos. Hundreds and hundreds of them doing aerobatics at dusk and dawn, Hard to complain, we have zero mosquitoes or flies.

Yea, I don't think I'd get into watching song birds, but I can spend all day watching bald eagles dive bombing the coot rafts.
View Quote

I too, dislike Canada Geese but enjoy seeing goslings.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I got a clusterfuck of Finches (4-5 varieties), a wreckage of Wrens, a chowdown of Chickadees, an absolute blitzkrieg of Red Winged Blackbirds, and a gathering of Grackles.

I miss the Cardinals and the big Bluejays we had in Illinois, but Grackles are badass birds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a feed called "finches favorite" which is cracked sunflower and nyjer that attracts a lot of cool birds.

My neighbor at my condo catches a lot with a bird bath but at my parents house birds don't use it which is strange

Extremely similar results, to include the morning doves eating off the ground
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I lived in Littleton, small world
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm outside Knoxville, in a residential area but have quite a lot of trees around considering.
I put up some feeders a few weeks ago, a cylinder style, platter style, and hummingbird.

I've had cardinals, chickadees, tufted titmouse so far.
A few doves have discovered them too and some bluejay.

Every so often I'll hear owls calling and there are a fair number of smaller raptors I'll catch in the skies.

My grandparents and mom had always been into feeding and watching the birds, I'm just catching it now late 40s...
View Quote

Yeah that meme about it common from nowhere is true.

I'm in my 40s and boom
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Is that a toucan m
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

As an aside, Vienna Inn forever
View Quote

We moved to Vienna the year after the V.I. opened.  My father would sometimes take me and 2 younger brothers there after he got home from work (I was 9 years old at the time.)  We would play the electronic bowling game and shuffleboard.  Dad and the other men would drink beer and bitch about life.  When I got old enough to drink, I never wanted to go there when friends suggested it.  No matter what it became, in my mind it shall forever be a place where married men hang out until their wives fall asleep and it's safe to go home.

[back on topic]  For those who think that bear are getting their bird food...

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Is that a toucan m
View All Quotes
Yes @whiskersthecat

Costa Rica. My Macaw pics suck even more.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I am 63 years old, and was basically indifferent regarding birds

I bought a house in Florida that is in a bird sanctuary and the previous owners had a couple of nice birdfeeders and asked if I would continue feeding the birds. I should yes, and it is interesting watching all the interactions between the different birds at my birdfeeder. I have one of those squirrel proof bird feeder's with the tube on a spring, and it does prevent them from getting up to the few birdfeeders, I have mounted above it. I have two open feeders, one with sunflower seeds and the other with peanuts. I have a couple of others with an assortment of seeds.

I probably got close to 10 different species of birds at my feeder.

I also feed some of the local crows peanuts in the shell. If they see me outside, they start squawking at me until I give them some.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#49]

Be super cool to see those in the wild
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#50]
it is relaxing to watch the birds in the bird bath.
I keep it filled all the time in the hot months
Blue Jay by Chris B, on Flickr

ETA - with all the rain a couple of weeks ago. I had a pair of ducks swimming around in the puddles.

duck by Chris B, on Flickr

Page / 6
Top Top