Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for your loss.

Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry OP. My dad left in 2010. I still miss him.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Very sorry, OP.  Wish I had magic words for you.  Mine is 87, and every ring of the phone scares me.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the loss to you and your family OP.

As far as the "loss of motivation", getting old can be rough. Especially if you had a full, active life and it suddenly stops.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for your loss. That is very similar to how my dad went.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry for your loss op.

Lost my mom Wednesday after pancreatic cancer. It’s a weird feeling loosing a parent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Very sorry for your loss OP
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry buddy, tough to lose dad.

Mine dropped dead at 50 around 23 years ago, found by the neighbor just inside his front door... he abused his body for a couplea decades as well, he still pops into my head most days...
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m so sorry and you are in my prayers. My dad died two days after Father’s Day 9 years ago - I miss him every minute.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]
the prayer for you.
O Lord, Support us all the day long, until the the shadows lengthen and the evening comes, and the busy is world hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done. Then in thy mercy grant us a safe lodging, and a holy rest, and peace at the last Amen
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wish you the best in your time of mourning, it is never a set time.  This thanksgiving will be the 15th anniversary of my father’s death.  I still have my moments all these years later.

Perspective of time is funny, 15 years ago seems like a quick minute ago, but the last memory of my father seems oh so long ago.
View Quote

Thank you its just been a hard today as today marks the 8 months why couldn't fall on any other day than today.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for your loss OP. Lost my dad to a stroke in "99. Miss him all the time. He'd be 97 in 2 weeks if he was still here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks all. Sorry if I caused any bad memories for anyone on Father’s Day. Hope you guys can switch them up and remember some good times.

Like my pops also taught me how to fix a clothes iron. He got it all apart and had his soldering gun out and all. Came by later and he was gripping his big screwdriver by the blade and smashing the handle on the inside of the iron. “Whatcha doing?” I asked. “”Fixing the damned iron!” He grumped. Apparently it hadn’t gone too well!
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks all. Sorry if I caused any bad memories for anyone on Father's Day. Hope you guys can switch them up and remember some good times.

Like my pops also taught me how to fix a clothes iron. He got it all apart and had his soldering gun out and all. Came by later and he was gripping his big screwdriver by the blade and smashing the handle on the inside of the iron. "Whatcha doing?" I asked. ""Fixing the damned iron!" He grumped. Apparently it hadn't gone too well!
View Quote
Not bad memories, necessary memories. My Dad passed two years ago and the last three Father's Days have been tough. However, I had a really good day today with my son. I told him upfront all I wanted was to sit on couch and watch golf with him. it was a great finish to the tournament and we had a great time. I ate some steak, drank a little bourbon and smoked a really nice cigar. What else could I ask for? I know my Dad would have looked on approvingly. Carry on.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry for your Loss OP.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#18]
????????????????
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Rayers and sorry for your loss.

Some people just don't retire well.

My dad was in construction. Plus alway doing something at home or a park while working his job.

Ended up being a super then a business agent.

We he retired he just upped his game on the park stuff plus side jobs.

I won't ever really retire even though I could have 5 years ago at 45.

I work for myself though or would for someone else under my terms .

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#20]
So sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Condolences sir. Fine words.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I am very sorry OP and to have it happen on Father's Day is doubly painful!  As to why he went downhill, all I can say is that he lost his purpose.  I have seen this in other men, my cousin in particular, they just quit caring.  BTW, my dad is still with us, he turned 100 June 1, 2024.  No way I make it there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry for your loss OP, prayers for you family
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry for your loss.

Has got to be tough on your mom.

Sounds like you have no regrets WRT communicating the positives to your dad -that is quite a blessing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Live on the memories OP.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Condolences to you and your family OP.

As to doing something to help him live a longer life... Well I'll tell you. I'm getting older myself and the last few years have not been really great. Lots of days I don't want to do anything. There comes a point where you just really don't care about a lot of things. You just want to take it easy.

So maybe that was where your father was at. He did all he could do as a good father. So do not carry a lot of blame around on your shoulders for what should of/would of/could have been. I'm sure you put forth your best efforts and that's all that can be asked.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks all. Sorry if I caused any bad memories for anyone on Father's Day. Hope you guys can switch them up and remember some good times.

Like my pops also taught me how to fix a clothes iron. He got it all apart and had his soldering gun out and all. Came by later and he was gripping his big screwdriver by the blade and smashing the handle on the inside of the iron. "Whatcha doing?" I asked. ""Fixing the damned iron!" He grumped. Apparently it hadn't gone too well!
View Quote
My condolences and remember the good and learn from the less than good.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Condolences.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm sorry to hear about your dad's death.  

As for why he neglected himself for the last years of his life, both my parents did the same thing.  I believe my mom was clinically depressed for a long time and pretty much stopped living once she retired.  My dad was entirely focused on mom's health after she had a stroke to the detriment of his own medical conditions.

Keep an eye on your mom.  My parents were VERY co-dependent and mom's death led to my dad giving up as well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top