User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you often find yourself needing to pay someone to weld something?
View Quote

About once every 5 years.

BUT I could weld lots of other shit once or twice a month, doing little projects, especially aluminium.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Drinking beer all day you might weld up something like this. I weld better when I'm drunk.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Of course.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely learn how to weld.  I’ve welded all my own target stands.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Guessing I couldn't plug the welder into a standard outlet without blowing a fuse eh?
View Quote

Buy a $70 pos from vevor
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
From scratch.Attachment Attached File

I learned how to stick weld in HS. This was a winter project because I needed a new trailer and didn't want to spend $5K.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I took 3 semesters of welding in college, but I’ve been a mechanic (both HD trucks/equipment and auto), an equipment operator, a machinist, and only got a job welding about 6 months ago

Submerged arc so I’m not stacking dimes like a pimp, but I stick things together with full penetration

I used a Miller Trailblazer and Lincoln LN-25 wire feeder when I ran a service truck, no complaints with either one. At work now we have a mix of blue and red, failures are about equal between brands, usually due to lack of maintenance

For home use I have a 220 stick welder (basic Lincoln buzz box) a dual voltage stick welder (HF Titanium) and just bought a 110 flux core MIG to try out.

Lincoln “buzz box”:  great for shop/garage use, but not portable, and stick welding isn’t the easiest to start learning on

HF Titanium Stick 225:  good for mobile use, lightweight, likes the Hobart 7018AC rods. Haven’t tried it on 110, only 220 off my generator

HF Titanium Easy Flux 125:  only welded exhaust with it a couple times using .030 wire, looking forward to using it more on projects 1/4” and under

My advice is take a class at a community college or buy a flux core mig and auto darkening hood and start experimenting
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I learned it pretty well in HS and was a natural, picked it up quick and could run good beads almost from the get go.

That was the 80s and I still have not ever had to weld anything since.  Go figure.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#10]

tell me more about the 1919....
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:07:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Why not, especially if you actually have a use for it.  I bought a HF 220v gas Mig a few years ago with a few automotive projects in mind and started trying to teach myself.

I struggled a lot and stepped away from it for awhile. When I picked it back up, I realized I screwed up and had a huge shielding gas leak. Was immediately able to do a "decent" job.

Just recently did a header back exhaust for the shitbox by pie cutting 3" pipe after multiple trips to a shop atill resulted in a huge exhaust leak. Got a lot of practice with that project. It's ugly, but functional.  Would have been easier using all slip joints and pre bent sections rather than butt welding pie cuts.

I've fixed broken exhaust hangers, done some minor chassis reinforcement. Modded a shelf in the garage. Next is welding a differential and fixing a rusted out jacking point so the diff can be installed. I'm sure this project alone would pay for the welding equipment.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#12]
If you have the scratch, take a look at Pennsylvania Techs programs. I was going to PTC, but now that they're closing, I'm probably going to move there. There are plenty of cert program schools around, but I want a degree just for the bonus resume points.

@realwar, tighten the buffer plug screw on your 50. The notch should be horizontal, and the screw should be between flush and one thread showing with 22 or 23 fiber disks inside.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:48:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Have a welder friend give you some pointers and instruction over a couple of beers. If for an occupation take classes.
Welding is not hard, to be a good welder it takes skill and practice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top