Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't do bling and would never bother with a stupid expensive watch.  A  $100 Swiss Army Watch is about as much as I would pay for a watch.  

However, if I ever did get an expensive watch I would be inclined to keep it at home in the safe and buy a good fake just in case anything happen to it while wearing it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a real one for $15 from a upstanding man of color in Times Square back in the late '90's.  He started at $50 and I talked him down.  He promised it was real so I have no reason to doubt him...
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Sylvester Stallone on Why He's Selling His Patek Philippe Grandmaster Chime & More | Sotheby's
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agreed. I have one of those. Earned it in a work competition. Don’t know much about them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/528302/IMG_1958-3245609.jpg
View Quote

Have never seen this model before. What is the reference number?
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Omega Seamaster Diver 300m America's Cup Steel on Steel - 210.30.44.51.03.002
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah Pitney Bowes must have had a prototype Time Machine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#7]

That gold Pam269.  Just damn.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Because of this thread I viewed some watch vids on YouTube. Now I have 87 different recommendations of shit to watch (pun).
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Search "super fake rolex" or "super clone rolex" on Youtube. It's pretty damn fascinating how close to perfect duplication they are. For $600 you literally get 98% of the quality of a Rolex with very, very minor cosmetic differences. At this level of clone the only real functional and performance differences are that the balance wheel and balance spring are not quite up to what Rolex uses, but it's more than adequate for the task at hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYY0bI_Aiqc
View Quote

I should buy a Fauxlex.

Link Posted: 6/20/2024 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Search "super fake rolex" or "super clone rolex" on Youtube. It's pretty damn fascinating how close to perfect duplication they are. For $600 you literally get 98% of the quality of a Rolex with very, very minor cosmetic differences. At this level of clone the only real functional and performance differences are that the balance wheel and balance spring are not quite up to what Rolex uses, but it's more than adequate for the task at hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYY0bI_Aiqc

I should buy a Fauxlex.
https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.4717071718.6235/raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

Just have realistic expectations, you might get 98% of the LOOK, you are NOT getting 98% of the build quality.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#11]
In my town, having a fake Rolex would make you one of the fanciest guys around.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Jehsus Christ. I just want 5k Submariners again.

This thread….
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This thread .
View Quote
Amen to that!
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This thread….
View Quote

One can only dream of that nowadays.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Mehh….if you have the scratch and want one life is too short not to enjoy from time to time.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I own this model rolex, and yes, it's real. This is not a Pic of mine. It's in a safe right now.

I've never ever had anyone ask how I could afford it. I've only ever seen maybe two people at the grocery store look down and stare at it. But never comment. My wife bought it for me for our 30th wedding anniversary. We'll not this watch. I had the older model first, and it was destroyed in a fire. Insurance replaced it with the super case model or replaced at least part of it. The rest I paid. To me, it's a treasure and investment because it's increased in value. It's something I can pass on to my son.

That said, I don't care what anyone buys. If they want to buy a fake rolex more power to them. I don't care. My only thing is if you buy a fake. Buy a great fake, not one of those pos ones that do not look or feel right. If someone asks you about it, Say whatever you want because it's none of their business. I'm thinking of buying a fake stainless steel sub just to wear daily and wear the real one on special occasions. But again, it's not my money nor any of my business what people buy.

I will say this. Rolex watches are heavy. Mine has about 2 oz of 18kt gold in it. You know your are wearing it for sure. Some fakes they've copied are almost perfect. Even the movement inside the watch. It's almost impossible with some to distinguish the difference. Even the fonts, weight and movements are right on the 1:1 fake. I've never held one. So I'm going by pictures I've seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my fake Rolex. It’s a great feeling compared with other “watch guys” and knowing they spent 50x as much while they can’t tell the difference. I just say I inherited it from a dead relative when they start asking how I can afford it

I own this model rolex, and yes, it's real. This is not a Pic of mine. It's in a safe right now.

I've never ever had anyone ask how I could afford it. I've only ever seen maybe two people at the grocery store look down and stare at it. But never comment. My wife bought it for me for our 30th wedding anniversary. We'll not this watch. I had the older model first, and it was destroyed in a fire. Insurance replaced it with the super case model or replaced at least part of it. The rest I paid. To me, it's a treasure and investment because it's increased in value. It's something I can pass on to my son.

That said, I don't care what anyone buys. If they want to buy a fake rolex more power to them. I don't care. My only thing is if you buy a fake. Buy a great fake, not one of those pos ones that do not look or feel right. If someone asks you about it, Say whatever you want because it's none of their business. I'm thinking of buying a fake stainless steel sub just to wear daily and wear the real one on special occasions. But again, it's not my money nor any of my business what people buy.

I will say this. Rolex watches are heavy. Mine has about 2 oz of 18kt gold in it. You know your are wearing it for sure. Some fakes they've copied are almost perfect. Even the movement inside the watch. It's almost impossible with some to distinguish the difference. Even the fonts, weight and movements are right on the 1:1 fake. I've never held one. So I'm going by pictures I've seen.

Your taste in watches is impeccable.

@Sandbowl1980

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/21/2024 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This thread….
View Quote

A friend of mine who has passed away collected machine guns. We knew he had a rolex or two as well.  When they locksmith cracked his safes open after his passing, it was discovered that he had a bunch of rolexes, and was partial to the presidential offerings.

It turns out he bought them in the late 80s and early 90s, and they sat untouched in a safe.  

I wish I could have been there to see all if them.

Link Posted: 6/21/2024 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A friend of mine who has passed away collected machine guns. We knew he had a rolex or two as well.  When they locksmith cracked his safes open after his passing, it was discovered that he had a bunch of rolexes, and was partial to the presidential offerings.

It turns out he bought them in the late 80s and early 90s, and they sat untouched in a safe.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread .

Man, that's kinda sad to me. They're meant to be worn!

But if they made him happy sitting in a safe for decades I guess they served their purpose. I would have liked to see them too though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Man, that's kinda sad to me. They're meant to be worn!

But if they made him happy sitting in a safe for decades I guess they served their purpose. I would have liked to see them too though.
View Quote

He wore one or two.  The worst part is that it is believed that his piece of shit girlfriend (that he left NOTHING too) made off with several of them and probably pawned them for 1/3 of what they were worth. There was other jewelry and some other things that went missing He left almost everything to his only living family member, his sister.  She is loaded beyond belief and didn't want to fight.  Her husband hit the firearms powerball!  The guy's collection is incredible.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This thread….
View Quote

I am hanging in there - I believe we’ll see $5-6K 5 digit Subs in the next two years. Market is saturated and COVID boondoggle bucks are long gone. People will start off loading “investment” pieces increasingly. It’s already started.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am hanging in there - I believe we’ll see $5-6K 5 digit Subs in the next two years. Market is saturated and COVID boondoggle bucks are long gone. People will start off loading “investment” pieces increasingly. It’s already started.
View Quote

By then I should be able to trade a P7M8 for a GMT Master II.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

A 5k sub would be the dream. Would make for a nice little self-gift for college graduation in 2 years if you’re right.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@RandyLahey01

It's a long story, but I will condense it.   It was back in 1992.  We caught a Colombian in New Orleans in a sting trying to  buy select fire weapons for Pablo Escobar.  He was young and didn't want to go prison, but he was working directly for a guy named Fernando Mafioli who at the time was Escobar's number three guy.   He set me and my partner (who could speak good Spanish, mine is crap) up as smugglers and we first talked with Mafioli on the phone and then later met with him in Grand Cayman.  We had one aborted run, that didn't go and then the second time, we went out with a contract informant who had a good smuggling boat, and they air dropped me the 300 kilos about 50 miles west of Grand Cayman.  

I was in a Zodiac, out in the ocean pickings these things up as they would get kicked out of the plane's door and I had meant to take my Rolex off before I got in that boat, afraid I would break the band or lose it.  The seas were really rough, like 8-9 feet, and my partner, who talking to them on the ship's radio had to convince them to drop the bales because they were afraid we wouldn't be able to find them all as it was turning dark, too.  It took me about two hours to gather them all up (all but one were 40 kilo bales, wrapped in a lot of plastic and burlap, and wet) and get them back aboard the boat.  And, I was exhausted.  And, I was soaking wet.  (That's why I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt and sweat pants, we had been there a week and those were the last clean clothes I had) As I sat down on one of the bales to rest, I realized I still had my Rolex on, and I was so glad I didn't lose it.   And, it would take pages to tell what happened after that.  We were supposed to pick up 1200 kilos on the second run, but by then, everyone had been arrested.

And, that's really the reason I got rid of the Rolex later (and, I was getting divorced and needed the money).  I was always afraid of losing it when I was doing something really active, especially out on boats and stuff (I even left it in a hotel room one time, realized it an hour later, had to drive back and nearly had to beat a hotel maid to get her to admit she had it).  And, I thought, what's the point of having one if you're afraid to wear it.  So, I sold it.  Although, now, I have to admit, I wish I had kept it, just for old times sake.
View Quote
Tell me you knew Barry Seal. I was a Louisiana LEO from '82 to 2012. Lots of crazy shit going on in my younger years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I’d be happy with a christopher ward. You high rollers and your rolexes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:27:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Amen to that!
View Quote
That I can walk into any AD and buy on the spot.  This "list" bullshit is getting old.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I’ve been wanting a green dial daily wear watch.  Bought this yesterday, should be here by the end of the week. 42mm case, Sellita movement. $507 shipped.

Joma
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I’m on a waiting list for an explorer 1 40mm. If they don’t call me by next year I’m just going to go Rolex forum route or David sw.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Another thing to remember if buying the real deal used is service costs. Previous last service at an AD was mid 2000s on a sub date. Ran about $500. Last year I serviced the wife and my YMs and the total was over $4000 for both. She got a new band and they both had internal issues. Mine is from ‘03 and that was its first service as it never gave me issues.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’m on a waiting list for an explorer 1 40mm. If they don’t call me by next year I’m just got to go Rolex forum route or David sw.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/407055/IMG_4771_jpeg-3248575.JPG
View Quote

I like that. Nice and simple.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’m on a waiting list for an explorer 1 40mm. If they don’t call me by next year I’m just got to go Rolex forum route or David sw.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/407055/IMG_4771_jpeg-3248575.JPG
View Quote

Good looking piece right there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I would take an Omega over a Rolex for multiple reasons, not least of which because the Rolex brand strikes me as overhyped- a luxury watch for people who don't really know Swiss watches but simply want to promote their status.

Also, James Bond wears Omega

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
this goes back to the lab vs. natural diamond thread

it's a fake, close but not the same thing.  i don't understand the allure behind fake shit
View Quote

But a lab Diamond IS a Diamond. It’s just carbon who’s atoms have been forced into a particular arrangement.

A fake Rolex isn’t a Rolex.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would take an Omega over a Rolex for multiple reasons, not least of which because the Rolex brand strikes me as overhyped- a luxury watch for people who don't really know Swiss watches but simply want to promote their status.

https://monochrome-watches.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Omega-Seamaster-Planet-Ocean-600m-39.5mm-4.jpg
View Quote

The original Bond wore a Rolex in Dr. No.
Woke Bond wears an Omega…

J/K lol. Great watch, wear it in good health.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#34]
a terrible photo of real omega, fake sub
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://monochrome-watches.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Omega-Seamaster-Planet-Ocean-600m-39.5mm-4.jpg
View Quote

I’ve had omegas,too thick,clunky,hallow bracelets,hair pullers,busy dials,don’t care for see through backs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Some that’s true but at the end of the day
Rolex makes better looking watches than most other Swiss watch companies

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Owning a fraud watch should be an automatic death penalty.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed. Friend just snagged a sub for $8k. Insane prices going now. I paid $10.5k for mine not long before.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’m on a waiting list for an explorer 1 40mm. If they don’t call me by next year I’m just going to go Rolex forum route or David sw.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/407055/IMG_4771_jpeg-3248575.JPG
View Quote

Why would anybody want the Explorer in anything other than 36mm as God intended?
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bond wore a Rolex in the books, and in the original films.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Many would agree with you. Lots of predictions that the bottom is going to fall out on rolexes, just like housing…..

Save and prepare!
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Exactly!

I've been on watch fora since the late 90's. I enjoy the hobby and my collection for my own edification.

Two people noticed my Rolex GMT on my last trip and asked about it. They were clearly into watches as mine is has the black bezel and it not blingy at all especially when I wear it on this elastic strap.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/432675/IMG_5126_jpeg-3245340.JPG
View Quote

The best GMT Master reference.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I look forward to seeing it!

View Quote

I feel so dumb for not knowing the Yacht Master was a 37mm.

I may have actually bought one, had I known that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You do you.  But, you're a fraud and a poser.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my fake Rolex. It’s a great feeling comparing with other “watch guys” and knowing they spent 50x as much while they can’t tell the difference. I just say I inherited it from a dead relative when they start asking how I can afford it

You do you.  But, you're a fraud and a poser.

Yep.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I’ve watched a bunch of videos and read a bunch of stuff about real and fake watches in the last few days. Question I have. What is the attraction to the “Pepsi” style? I can kind of see the blue and maybe the green. To me the stainless and black combo looks the best. Not really a fan of gold and the pink gold that I’ve seen looks kinda gay.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Why would anybody want the Explorer in anything other than 36mm as God intended?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m on a waiting list for an explorer 1 40mm. If they don’t call me by next year I’m just going to go Rolex forum route or David sw.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/407055/IMG_4771_jpeg-3248575.JPG

Because I tried both on and feel the 36mm is too small for my wrist.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I’ve watched a bunch of videos and read a bunch of stuff about real and fake watches in the last few days. Question I have. What is the attraction to the “Pepsi” style? I can kind of see the blue and maybe the green. To me the stainless and black combo looks the best. Not really a fan of gold and the pink gold that I’ve seen looks kinda gay.
View Quote

Magnum PI wore the Pepsi bezel
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Couldn’t tell ya, but Pepsi bezel is best bezel imo

No other reason than the fact that I like it
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Both good watches, but the Omega PO is chunky.  Between the sapphire caseback and 2000m waterproof rating, it wears considerably heavier than the Rolex Submariner.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I feel so dumb for not knowing the Yacht Master was a 37mm.

I may have actually bought one, had I known that.
View Quote

The Yacht-Master comes in 5 sizes. Current are 37mm, 40mm and 42mm. There is also a 29mm ladies and a 35mm, both of which have been discontinued. Personally I think the 40mm platinum dial (discontinued) platinum/ss is the best all around watch. I’m probably a bit biased though.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top