Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Good shoot. A reasonable officer, given the totality of the circumstances, would conclude he was about to suffer grave bodily harm. Again, good shoot.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stupid, fat, out of shape, scared there have always been these people scattered throughout a population. I am still in MA DAY and I still know to do what a cop says when he says it.  He did not have to shoot the guy, but he did. If the dead guy had just set still, he would still be alive.

edit: You never know which cop you are going to get so you have to take it easy and do what they say.  Then if you feel you have been wronged the next day you pitch your bitch in the light of day with the police or get a lawyer.  You are going to lose on the side of the road.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I grew up in the 60's and 70's we knew you don't run from the law.  They would shoot you and you would die.  And if you stopped and talked to them you might not even get a ticket.

That is some derpy shit right there. The kid did stop and talk to him, officer tub o’fuck escalated things up to and including attempting and failing to body slam him on the ground, and when he got up the fat fuck was already pulling a gun on him and the kid had his hands up the entire time.
Also hopefully “back en ma day” cops weren’t quite so stupid, but maybe they just left fewer witnesses.

Stupid, fat, out of shape, scared there have always been these people scattered throughout a population. I am still in MA DAY and I still know to do what a cop says when he says it.  He did not have to shoot the guy, but he did. If the dead guy had just set still, he would still be alive.

edit: You never know which cop you are going to get so you have to take it easy and do what they say.  Then if you feel you have been wronged the next day you pitch your bitch in the light of day with the police or get a lawyer.  You are going to lose on the side of the road.

So sort of like loose pitbulls. Unintelligent, impulsive, unpredictable, and aggressive. Don’t make eye contact, or do make eye contact. No sudden movements, unless they want you to move suddenly. Keep your hands in plain sight, unless they perceive your hands as a threat. Produce your identification, but be careful because they might think your wallet is a gun, or maybe has some cash in it at which point they get food aggressive. Don’t struggle, but then you might need to if they’re probably just going to kill you anyway because you didn’t crawl correctly with your hands in the air. Definitely wear a belt because pulling your pants up is grounds for a fusillade. Also don’t sit on the couch in your apartment if your apartment is similar to a cop’s apartment and they think they’re protecting their turf.

Did I miss anything?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good shoot. A reasonable officer, given the totality of the circumstances, would conclude he was about to suffer grave bodily harm. Again, good shoot.
View Quote

Yes.  The retarded officer standard is very difficult to overcome.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Comply with an officer’s lawful commands. Don’t hold court on the side of the road. Do not resist, and keep your hands out of your waistband /pockets.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Less than 1 second after the officer tosses him, the officer is reaching for his gun.  Within 2 seconds of tossing the guy, the officer takes a shot.

Unless there's a whole lot that isn't on video, like the guy he stopped was a suspect in a double homicide and running through a stop sign on his way to kill more people, the officer needs to stand trial for murder.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - A day after the release of dashcam video showing a deputy-involved shooting in Turnertown, attorneys are defending the deputy’s actions.

“Our officer did absolutely nothing wrong,” said Robert Davis, an attorney representing the Rusk County Sheriff’s Office.

The shooting occurred on Sept. 14, 2022, shortly after 1 a.m. in the area of Highway 64 and CR 4125. The dashcam video from Deputy Shane Iverson’s vehicle shows him pull over a car driven by Timothy Michael Randall, 29, of Price. Iverson told Randall he had pulled him over because he saw Randall run the stop sign at the four-way stop, which Randall denied.

Attorneys for the sheriff’s office argue dashcam video released on Monday does not tell the whole story.

“You can’t judge these situations with a 20/20 vision of hindsight, because they are rapidly evolving in the time that they’re occurring,” Davis said.

Davis said the video shows Randall appearing to put something into his pants after being asked to get out of the car. While searching Randall’s pants, Iverson said he felt was he believed was a gun.

“Sgt. Iversen stated this object felt to him to be a small North American Arms mini-revolver or similarly sized and styled pistol,” stated Texas Ranger Brian Hemati in a report of investigation.

The item Iverson thought was a gun ended up being a glass pipe, something Davis said could have felt like a small gun.

“It’s about the size of a crack pipe,” Davis said. “It would match the dimensions and descriptions of a crack pipe.”

Going frame-by-frame, Davis said Iverson’s decision to fire his weapon was made when it appeared Randall was coming toward the deputy.

“You can see the suspect’s knee. You can see the foot. And he’s not running away from the officer. He’s not running to the left of the officer. He’s not running to the far right of the officer. This appears as if he’s running straight toward the officer initially,” Davis said while showing printed images of the dashcam video.

Davis said the fact that Iverson fired only one shot and then stopped after Randall ran the other way shows he only fired when he felt threatened. When being interviewed by the Texas Rangers, Iverson said felt “fearful.”

“Sgt. Iversen stated he did not want to be caught on his knees with this actively resisting suspect who Sgt. Iverson believed had a weapon in his,” stated Texas Ranger Brian Hemati.

Davis said a toxicology report revealed Randall had meth in his system and his blood alcohol content level was more than two times the legal limit.

Iverson was later no-billed by a Rusk County grand jury, meaning he was never indicted or charged with a crime. It’s unclear if the grand jury ever watched the dashcam video since their proceedings are secret. Randall’s family has since filed a civil lawsuit seeking monetary damages in federal court.

Summary, "dumb, drunk doper got himself shot"
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Bullshit.  If he thought the guy had a fucking gun, he would have fired more than one shot.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  If he thought the guy had a fucking gun, he would have fired more than one shot.
View Quote

1911 - only needed one shot

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Once the subject turned to run, he ceased using force.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not going to shed any tears for one less meth head in this world.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was already running away with his empty hands in the air when he shot him.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd like higher physical fitness standards please.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't completely disagree with you. However, I think teaching people both sides of that situation is paramount. There is a huge difference between being 100% compliant and not making a smooth interaction within the constitutional context. In other words, sometimes it is important not to go to the back of the bus. Context of the interaction and ability of non-law enforcement individuals are huge factors in such a decision. When my children were younger, I explained to them, as best I could, the constitutional complexities (effect of case law, LE training, policy, juries, etc) and the physical reality of being killed or permanently injured. My fatherly advice to them was to verbally invoke their right to remain silent, remain silent, and comply. With adults, I advise them that if they are intellectually and emotionally capable, know where the lines are and tow them as close as they and the situation allow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must do what they say and not run.

This here is a huge part of the problem... Some morons actually believe that statement.

We are obligated to obey a lawful order but are not obligated to obey an unlawful one. Some would even consider it the duty of an American citizen to resist an unlawful order.

That's true, but the time to fight w/ a cop is IMO in court not on the side of the road.    Regardless of if he's right or not he's still the one w/ the car w/ the flashing lights, a badge, a gun, and a radio.     You can be right but be very dead at the end.

I don't completely disagree with you. However, I think teaching people both sides of that situation is paramount. There is a huge difference between being 100% compliant and not making a smooth interaction within the constitutional context. In other words, sometimes it is important not to go to the back of the bus. Context of the interaction and ability of non-law enforcement individuals are huge factors in such a decision. When my children were younger, I explained to them, as best I could, the constitutional complexities (effect of case law, LE training, policy, juries, etc) and the physical reality of being killed or permanently injured. My fatherly advice to them was to verbally invoke their right to remain silent, remain silent, and comply. With adults, I advise them that if they are intellectually and emotionally capable, know where the lines are and tow them as close as they and the situation allow.

I think we're mostly agreeing.  I don't think you should just do everything automatically, but that guy was wound up.   IMO in that case object to it for the record and try not to get shot.    You can sue the SOB in court later if you're still alive.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Part of the video is off-screen, and the subject is turned toward officer as subject comes up. I give the officer the benefit of the doubt and call it a justified shoot.

And for those that suggest not complying unless the order is”lawful,” you really should make that case in a court of law, not at zero dark thirty on the side of the road. There are steps you can take to avoid getting shot…
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Part of the video is off-screen, and the subject is turned toward officer as subject comes up. I give the officer the benefit of the doubt and call it a justified shoot.

And for those that suggest not complying unless the order is”lawful,” you really should make that case in a court of law, not at zero dark thirty on the side of the road. There are steps you can take to avoid getting shot…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would've complied in this situation and made complaints/brought civil suit later. However, I also wouldn't have had an illegal pipe and I very rarely (like mistakenly once in 25 years) run a stop sign. Still, this is a bad shoot, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Bad Shoot
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would've complied in this situation and made complaints/brought civil suit later. However, I also wouldn't have had an illegal pipe and I very rarely (like mistakenly once in 25 years) run a stop sign. Still, this is a bad shoot, IMHO.
View Quote

So, you’re on the side the road, by yourself, at zero dark thirty, having just removed from a vehicle a resistive subject whom you just witnessed furtively place an object in his waistband. You proceed to do a lawful Terry pat-down based on RAS, and you feel what you believe to be a concealable handgun (ie, specifically a derringer). You command subject to place his hands behind his back for lawful, investigative detention. The subject resists and you do a take-down. The subject gets up concurrently with you, but you’re only on your knees. The subject turns towards you, with his hands moving close to his waistband. What is the reasonable course of action for a peace officer given the totality of the circumstances?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Comply with an officer’s lawful commands. Don’t hold court on the side of the road. Do not resist, and keep your hands out of your waistband /pockets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if any of those do happen, then reasonable officers feel they would be at risk of great bodily harm?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

That’s a bold strategy.  Probably not going to fly
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And if any of those do happen, then reasonable officers feel they would be at risk of great bodily harm?
View Quote

It’s not cut and dry.

It’s based on the totality of the circumstances, and if a reasonable officer in the same situation would believe that a person has the present ability, opportunity, and apparent intent to immediately cause death or serious bodily injury, generally speaking. State laws vary, and subject’s family might still get paid even if officer avoids crim charges.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So, you’re on the side the road, by yourself, at zero dark thirty, having just removed from a vehicle a resistive subject whom you just witnessed furtively place an object in his waistband. You proceed to do a lawful Terry pat-down based on RAS, and you feel what you believe to be a concealable handgun (ie, specifically a derringer). You command subject to place his hands behind his back for lawful, investigative detention. The subject resists and you do a take-down. The subject gets up concurrently with you, but you’re only on your knees. The subject turns towards you, with his hands moving close to his waistband. What is the reasonable course of action for a peace officer given the totality of the circumstances?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've already been tested many times. I had balls. This officer did not and murdered another. He should be tried for his crime.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a LEO?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The class of 2024 continues to deliver.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I even stopped him in the first place, why would I pull him out of the car for a traffic infraction?

Concealed weapons are lawful, and everyone should be armed. I also don't care if you have a pipe. Smoke whatever you want man.

I'm also not a sorry fat piece of shit who can't get off his knees.

And what I wouldn't have done is shoot him when his hands are in the air empty and he's running away.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#26]
The collision of two dumb asses!
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If I even stopped him in the first place, why would I pull him out of the car for a traffic infraction?

Concealed weapons are lawful, and everyone should be armed. I also don't care if you have a pipe. Smoke whatever you want man.

And what I wouldn't have done is shoot him when his hands are in the air empty and he's running away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pause the video at the shot.   Suspect has both hands in the air clear not moving toward the officer

Officer drew his weapon and intended to use it when the suspect was still on the ground

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#28]
'' his blood alcohol content level was more than two times the legal limit.''

This is probably why the officer donut asked him to exit the car.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you're on the side the road, by yourself, at zero dark thirty, having just removed from a vehicle a resistive subject whom you just witnessed furtively place an object in his waistband. You proceed to do a lawful Terry pat-down based on RAS, and you feel what you believe to be a concealable handgun (ie, specifically a derringer). You command subject to place his hands behind his back for lawful, investigative detention. The subject resists and you do a take-down. The subject gets up concurrently with you, but you're only on your knees. The subject turns towards you, with his hands moving close to his waistband. What is the reasonable course of action for a peace officer given the totality of the circumstances?

He probably smelled like a distillery.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Considering they don't mention the pipe as being in a glasses case. The attorney just left that part out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Considering they don't mention the pipe as being in a glasses case. The attorney just left that part out.
View Quote

drunk, high, starts fighting, and the cop thinks he's armed

COLD BLUUDED MURDERER!  
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

COLD BLUUDED MURDERER!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

COLD BLUUDED MURDERER!  

Use of deadly force to arrest someone is unlawful unless they prove to be a threat to you or a third person.
Popow vs City of Margate spells it out pretty clear. Also Tenn. vs Gardner
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was running away with his hands literally up.

Murder.

Let's not get into the alleged stop sign running.  That's totally something to get amped up and escalate for.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Use of deadly force to arrest someone is unlawful unless they prove to be a threat to you or a third person.
Popow vs City of Margate spells it out pretty clear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

COLD BLUUDED MURDERER!  

Having standards to hold the government to is for losers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

In New Jersey how long do you wait for "proof" if they appear to be armed and without a doubt they are fighting you?

Finger on trigger?

Safety click off?

First muzzle flash?

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Bad shoot
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you're on the side the road, by yourself, at zero dark thirty, having just removed from a vehicle a resistive subject whom you just witnessed furtively place an object in his waistband. You proceed to do a lawful Terry pat-down based on RAS, and you feel what you believe to be a concealable handgun (ie, specifically a derringer). You command subject to place his hands behind his back for lawful, investigative detention. The subject resists and you do a take-down. The subject gets up concurrently with you, but you're only on your knees. The subject turns towards you, with his hands moving close to his waistband. What is the reasonable course of action for a peace officer given the totality of the circumstances?

I personally don't care if he was drinking. He didn't harm anyone.

What's interesting is the cop gave zero indication he noticed the man was intoxicated. Seems odd he wouldn't make a single comment or ask any related question if he thought it was a DUI situation doesn't it?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

COLD BLUUDED MURDERER!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

COLD BLUUDED MURDERER!  

You Texans sure do have a peculiar definition of fighting down there. I didn’t realize y'all were so soft.

Here’s another you won’t like. Murder under the color of law should be a capitol offense.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
MURDER
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Yet again, TBL comes up with justification and twists the narrative to talk this up as a good shoot.  

Contrast that with the thread about the recent Southwest Airlines flight that appeared to mess up a night time visual approach to Oklahoma City (no crash or injuries, just got very low too far out) and pretty much every aviator on here says barring any major information otherwise, it was most likely crew error.  Nobody blindly taking the sides of the pilots and justifying what happened.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Davis said a toxicology report revealed Randall had meth in his system and his blood alcohol content level was more than two times the legal limit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Shocker! A great deal of altercations happen over 'scared' intoxicated people and irrational behavior
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So sort of like loose pitbulls. Unintelligent, impulsive, unpredictable, and aggressive. Don’t make eye contact, or do make eye contact. No sudden movements, unless they want you to move suddenly. Keep your hands in plain sight, unless they perceive your hands as a threat. Produce your identification, but be careful because they might think your wallet is a gun, or maybe has some cash in it at which point they get food aggressive. Don’t struggle, but then you might need to if they’re probably just going to kill you anyway because you didn’t crawl correctly with your hands in the air. Definitely wear a belt because pulling your pants up is grounds for a fusillade. Also don’t sit on the couch in your apartment if your apartment is similar to a cop’s apartment and they think they’re protecting their turf.

Did I miss anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I grew up in the 60's and 70's we knew you don't run from the law.  They would shoot you and you would die.  And if you stopped and talked to them you might not even get a ticket.

That is some derpy shit right there. The kid did stop and talk to him, officer tub o’fuck escalated things up to and including attempting and failing to body slam him on the ground, and when he got up the fat fuck was already pulling a gun on him and the kid had his hands up the entire time.
Also hopefully “back en ma day” cops weren’t quite so stupid, but maybe they just left fewer witnesses.

Did I miss anything?

Common sense
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Did I miss anything?
View Quote

Do you even dare leave the house?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Your chance of being killed by LE in any given year is about 0.00018%, less if you’re white. And hardly measurable if you’re a reasonable adult not engaged in criminal activity and not under the influence of etoh or drugs.

This is really a non-issue. But those that harbor anti-LE sentiment will go to great lengths to further affirm their confirmation-bias.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed 100%. Also his response of "dude you okay?" Is everything you need to know.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Your chance of being killed by LE in any given year is about 0.00018%, less if you’re white. And hardly measurable if you’re a reasonable adult not engaged in criminal activity and not under the influence of etoh or drugs.

This is really a non-issue. But those that harbor anti-LE sentiment will go to great lengths to further affirm their confirmation-bias.  

View Quote

And what does that have to do with the bad shoot we are talking about? We call good and bad shoots as we see them. You're changing the subject entirely.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Doesnt look justified to me.   I wouldnt be surprised if there was a "I thought I was grabbing the Taser" argument made
View Quote
I thought it looked like an ND.  I didn't consider Taser confusion.  Either way a high+drunk fighter that concealed what the cop thinks is weapon doesn't move the outrage meter.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And what does that have to do with the bad shoot we are talking about? We call good and bad shoots as we see them. You're changing the subject entirely.
View Quote

An unbiased person will conclude the shoot was justified.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you know?

Are you a LEO?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unbiased person here: That shoot was bad.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top